WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2021

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,902 Member
    :)Jake had a great Fathers Day. He got a great card from the pets, then watched golf and baseball all day. He said it was the best Father's Day ever.

:'( We think the crows are the reason that the zucchini didn't thrive this year.

:) Yes, I am definitely a cat.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Tracey ~ You highly deserve praise for all your hard work in getting the system set up...a raise would be a nice benefit. And, your grand children are delightful.

Rebecca ~ The men in your life are/were all good looking. Thanks for sharing.

My daughter-in-law and the two grands came by after church yesterday to wish my DH Happy Father's Day and I made lunch. The children kept us laughing and it was a fun day.

Carol in GA
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,352 Member
    Morning, afternoon and evening, all...

Penny - I've done that so many times... I have all the sympathy in the world. Moving house is such a stressful time.

I think I mentioned that I bought a new laptop earlier in the year--as I'm making a bit of money doing freelance work, it's a tax write-off for me. Plus I think the prices are about to go up and wanted to get one before that. So, this morning, I'm biting the bullet and scrubbing my old one in order to put it up for sale. It will take a few hours to get it clean, but I don't have to babysit it, so no big deal.

While I'm at it, I'm going to put a few other things up on the marketplace, including my oak dining table and chairs. And possibly the matching buffet/hutch which we just use for tchotchkes. Someone's going to have to have a truck to pick those up. They're just taking up space, in the end.

Today's Corey's birthday, and I left his card for him to find. Still debating whether to make him something special for dinner. He really is not fond of special days, holidays, all of it, so I seldom do much. This year, the hot tub was his birthday, Father's Day, and anniversary present, and he uses it often, so I don't have to get a gift. Might make dinner.
    :)
    Not always a good thing, as he's a much better cook than I am.

Later, y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,040 Member
    Barbara you have blossom rot. I looked it up on line and they reommend calcium. You can insert calcium tablets or Tums at the base. I add egg shells to my compost. I use it on my veggies like tomatoes too.
  • dgarlick1
    dgarlick1 Posts: 29 Member
    Busy morning, trying to beat the heat and humidity so I got my grocery shopping done before 9am. Still have to pick up a prescription at the compound pharmacy, then get floors washed. Tomorrow have a doctor's check up. This week proves to be a busy one. Wishing everyone a wonderful Monday!! <3
    wjmcl3hujsz8.jpg
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,188 Member
    edited June 2021
    Yesterday was Father's Day over here too. My father always refused to celebrate it ("just a commercial rip off") and DH is of the same mind, so he never hears from his two girls on the day. I wished him Happy Father's Day >:) and said I hadn't got him anything. (He never does anything special for me on Mother's Day because I am not his mother) Then I said I thought it was a shame we had passed up the opportunity to buy some delicious chocolate truffles! So I ordered some. They have just arrived, so I wished him HFD again. We will enjoy them over the coming week after dinner. I only have one a day. :p 66 calories each.

For the British women on here ... I was writing today about doing my homework to Radio Luxembourg, with Horace Batchelor selling his pools scheme. I had a tiny transistor radio with a huge battery taped to it. RL used to fade in and out, so half the time you couldn't hear it. To accompany my efforts I used to eat a bar of Caramac, a tiny bit at a time.

Chicken, lentil and spinach curry in the IP. It feels like winter here, so I felt it was appropriate.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited June 2021
    Feels like winter in the UK? Here it's 9°C (just shy of 50°F) and I'm going around humming "We're having a heat wave, a tropical heat wave..." If I had to deal with what some of you in the US are experiencing, I'd probably collapse within minutes. :sweat:

Gosh I hope my body learns to tolerate higher temperatures once we've moved.

/Penny, truly sweltering at the
    t07190.gif
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,631 Member
    B)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Barbie: I walk with DH some days when he feels up to it. He rides an electric cart and I walk beside him. I also go to yoga class three days a week. This week my yoga teacher is travelling, so I’ll ride the trike in the garage or go for a long walk beside DH on his electric cart. There is a yoga class available on Monday evenings and I may try it out this week. :flowerforyou:

Tracey: Congratulations on winning the respect of your Project Manager and Administrator. :star::star::star: I love the photos of your grandchildren and their pup. :bigsmile:

Machka: According to my calendar, today is Father’s Day & the first day of summer. It is also the longest day of the year. :flowerforyou::

Penny: I hope your move goes well and you love your new home and like your new neighbors. I predict that you will get used to the climate at your new home. DH & I have owned three homes during our 50+ years together. We both like our current home very much. We like small town life and have good neighbors. :bigsmile:

Barbara: We are planning to go to our son and DDIL’s to help them with the birth of a new baby. That is a joy for me, but there is also a possible move to a new home for them. I feel more than a little overwhelmed at the prospect of being away from home for a long time. This is way outside of my comfort zone. :noway: Thanks for the message from Rita. :star:

Terri: We may abandon the train trip idea due to high costs and worries about food. I am in favor of flying. It is faster by days, less costly, and easier to manage. :flowerforyou:

Lisa: Happy Birthday to Corey. :heart:

Today our boat mechanic is supposed to come and get things put to right. I hope he shows up. The boat has had some care from me, but it needs things done that I can’t do. Starting the engine is high on that list. I’m thinking about selling. DH can’t go aboard due to his health issues and I am not inclined to try being a single hander.

Katla in NW Oregon
  • 03CiaoBella
    03CiaoBella Posts: 40 Member
    Good morning MPF A-Team from Southern California! I finished my coffee and plan to go on a walk/hike later on. The weather has been running rather warm, hot! In any case, I plan to bring my sombrero and a bottled water. Wishing you all a great Monday!
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,677 Member
    Morning again ladies
    Went and got Homer and will pick Dan up around 12:45 for work...Homer and Alfie chilling out. Supposed to be muggy today do will stay inside..
    Tracy has a registry on Babylist .com so i ordered a few things for her.
  • cityjaneLondon
    We were booked to take the kids to school on Friday, for a reason we did not know. Then we had a message to say could we have Bea that morning for a bit because she is isolating. OK. Fine. Then another message to say that was changed to the following Friday after school. ;):* Me no understand. ;) I asked them to ring us to sort it all out.
    My son rang to say Bea's teaching assistant has covid, very mildly, because she is single vaxxed. So 90 school children are now isolating for 10 days. Bea is fine so far and on her 6th day. Their help, Maddy, has been looking after her , but she now has to isolate for 10 days as her dinner companion this Saturday is now positive . :o They have been managing between them, but on Wednesday my son has to be in London all day. So, he will drop Bea off at 8 and we will keep her until 5. That will be her 8th day. Then, the Friday pick up on the 2nd is because they are meeting the teachers at school and will regroup with us afterwards in the park. Then they asked us to babysit for that Saturday evening so they can go out for an anniversary meal. <3
    So, it's all go, and pretty much chaos for them, trying to juggle Bea and now no childcare help for school pickup. :#
    Glad to be of help and double glad we are double vaxxed. :D
    Phew!

Gooseberries tonight! Yum.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Yesterday was Father's Day over here too. My father always refused to celebrate it ("just a commercial rip off") and DH is of the same mind, so he never hears from his two girls on the day. I wished him Happy Father's Day >:) and said I hadn't got him anything. (He never does anything special for me on Mother's Day because I am not his mother) Then I said I thought it was a shame we had passed up the opportunity to buy some delicious chocolate truffles! So I ordered some. They have just arrived, so I wished him HFD again. We will enjoy them over the coming week after dinner. I only have one a day. :p 66 calories each.

For the British women on here ... I was writing today about doing my homework to Radio Luxembourg, with Horace Batchelor selling his pools scheme. I had a tiny transistor radio with a huge battery taped to it. RL used to fade in and out, so half the time you couldn't hear it. To accompany my efforts I used to eat a bar of Caramac, a tiny bit at a time.

Chicken, lentil and spinach curry in the IP. It feels like winter here, so I felt it was appropriate.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Happy memories Heather 😀😀

• cityjaneLondon

Penny - it was 13°C today and raining all day.
    Our curry was heavenly. :p

Love Heather UK xxxxxx
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,352 Member
    edited June 2021
    And... the rest of the story. Called Corey while I was on the way to the store and asked him what he wants for dinner... and he said steak and baked potato. I can bake a potato, and he'll make the steak the way he wants it. Life is good.
    :)
    Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,810 Member
    B)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited June 2021
    Heather-- Your decision to move to your current residence was, and is, an excellent choice. You are able to see your grandchildren frequently. We love our home, but do not have easy access to our grandchildren. Our daughter lives in Illinois with her three children and our son lives in Virginia. He has a son and he & his wife are expecting baby #2. Both of our adult children are far from one another and far from us. I love our home here and do not want to move. Our challenge is to travel to see them. We are planning to do that later in the year, near the time our daughter-in-law will have her second baby. :star:
  • cityjaneLondon
    Katla - Mr Google says you can walk to Illinois in 28 days. I can walk to my grandkids house in 28 minutes. However, I would not have moved here had I not loved the city already. We knew it was perfect for us. Being happy where you live is very important. I think we would live here even if they moved away, though it would really hurt. I hope you can work out some solution for your planned trip. <3<3

Love Heather UK xxxxxx
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,780 Member
    Allie--I agree if you can not get into see the doctor go to ER. You don't want to take any chances with all you have had going on.

Heather--Sounds like a great vist with DB. Love the pictures.

Barbie--Sounds like you and Jake had very good Fridays. Gald for both of you.

Rebecca &KJ & Tracey--Thanks for sharing the pictures. They sure all look like they are enjoying life with no worrys. What a wonderful thing.

I enjoyed my 3 days off and Sunday School went fine. Not very many there as was father's day, It was interesting, but sad as 2 boys age 6 & 9 talked about their dad's being in jail and when they would get to visit. For them this is normal.

The heat here is terrible. Last Thursday they set a record of 106 and weekend it was 90's and HOT. Yesterday we went out riding the motorcycle and I made a dumb choice and did not wear the full face helmet. So got a little sunburn on my face and eye lids. Now that is a first and my own fault. Back at work today and going to be a long week as not off until Sunday.

Weigh in, in the morning and hoping for a loss.

Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND NE B)<3