Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fitness and diet myths that just won't go away

Options

Replies

• gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    My personal pet peeve
    “Cut out all sugar”
    “White sugar is the devil”

And all variations of the same.

If I have the spoons for it? I generally respond with a deadpan “If you don’t eat sugar you will die very quickly.”

I also really hate this one’s corollary “It doesn’t have sugar in it. I used honey”

Which will, if I have zero spoons, earn a hard eye roll. If I do have spoons I will inform them that a person’s pancreas can’t tell the difference between white sugar and honey. And their “it doesn’t have sugar, I used honey!” can be very harmful to a diabetic.

Ugh, yes. One family member is certain that honey in daily coffee is better for him than sugar. Maybe if the taste caused you to use less, but I have my doubts since I buy the Costco size honey for him every time we visit…there is a lot of honey being consumed there 😬
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    This entire thread would be completely and absolutely unnecessary if everyone would just agree to drink Apple Cider Vinegar three times a day, everyday.

Cause no one in the world would be overweight.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,591 Member
    Options
    freda78 wrote: »
    I actually had a person ask me if it hurt t be fat. I asked him if it hurt to be bald. Sometimes you have to be your own advocate, because there's a lot of myths about 'Fat' people out there. I used 'Fat' intentionally because we know all to well what we are, and how we look. Nobody chooses to be this way, a lot of factors are in play both physical & mental. It takes a long time and many false starts to overcome.

'Normal' people take a moment to think before you speak, the embarrassment you save may be yours. We're tired of being targets for all the well meaning jerks who think it's alright to insert yourself into our personal lives in such a way.

Funnily enough I was talking to my Mum just today who said my aunt had said about me -> "why doesn't she just lose weight?"

Yeh... right... because I got up one day and said " You know what? I really fancy being obese because it looks like great fun" and I started on my path to eating those precious extra calories so over a period of years I could finally reach my goal weight of more than 20 stone.

Why would I not want that?

And after all, when the fun stops all we need to do is follow that excellent advice you hear all too often that all we need to do is "just eat less and move more" and suddenly we can just be 'normal' again.

Makes me cry a little inside.

Why were we talking about my aunt? Because I was telling my Mum I have now lost about half my starting weight and she said she had just spoken to my aunt (who we have not seen for getting on for 2 years because of covid) and she said has just hit 11 stone, which because she is only 4 foot 11 inches is..... obese.

And this is where we ask, "Are you a good witch...or a bad witch?" :)
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,292 Member
    Options
    This entire thread would be completely and absolutely unnecessary if everyone would just agree to drink Apple Cider Vinegar three times a day, everyday.

I can’t tell if this is sarcastic.
    Is this sarcastic?

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I can’t tell if this is sarcastic.
    Is this sarcastic?

@MargaretYakoda, meet @Motorsheen.

Motorsheen's been around MFP for a while.

Recently, I saw one post by Motorsheen that *wasn't* court jester-ish . . . as far as I could tell, anyway. I was astonished.

You'll get used to him. He might even grow on you, after a time. 🤷‍♀️

..... or not.

*shrug
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Cause no one in the world would be overweight.

I think drinking straight vinegar might make me vomit, so if I did it after each meal . . . I might not ever have to worry about gaining weight (just losing my teeth and my will to continue living).