WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2021

Replies

• dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,936 Member
    erinup wrote: »
    Hi! I'm not sure if this is the right way to start this since it is in the middle of the day but I figured I'd jump in and introduce myself. My name is Erin and I live in Northern California. I have always been fairly active but over the last year and half I fell off a bit so I am getting back to it now. I have about 10 Covid pounds to lose and from there I'd like to keep going with another 10-15. This puts me smack in the middle of my healthy range. I started logging and exercising again in earnest on 7/1. My plan is no candy (not too hard but I had developed an afternoon snack habit), no alcohol for the first 30 days (kickstart! - but let me tell you July Fourth weekend was a challenge), log all food and only eat back exercise calories over 500. I am signed up for a marathon in December so I will be ramping up my running each week and hopefully the pounds will come off to make it easier! I look forward to getting to know everyone.

Welcome Erin
    I am also in N. CA.
    Also have ten to loose now with goal of 8-10 after that to put me at my goal.
    This site is great for motivation, information and just a great place to chat(and occasionally vent)

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,831 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    But the fireworks were lovely, and I adore watching baseball. I'm not sure I'll take hubby next time, if I ever go again. I knew he wasn't a fan of baseball -- not of any sports at all -- but I thought he liked fireworks. He was complaining afterwards about the traffic and said we should have left the show early because "my ADHD was kicking in anyway, and I really wanted to get out of there." Sigh. I hate that so much because I really did have a nice time and thought we were having a great family outing, despite the near miss to my head. But I guess not.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR

He's not had a frontal lobe knock at some point in his life, has he?

I don't know if you are joking or serious, but if I had liquid in my mouth, it would have spewed all over my computer. It is hysterical.

But no. No brain damage.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR

I was actually serious because what you've described of your husband is similar to how a person with frontal lobe damage might be.

https://www.healthline.com/health/frontal-lobe#function

What does your frontal lobe do?
    • attention and concentration
    • reasoning and judgment
    • organization and planning
    • problem-solving
    • regulation of emotions and mood, including reading the emotions of others
    • personality expression
    • motivation, including evaluating rewards, pleasure, and happiness
    • impulse control
    • controlling social behaviors
    • and more (see website).

I've been taking a course on Understanding Traumatic Brain Injury and of course I'm living with someone with severe traumatic brain injury. Some of my husband's brain injury is to the frontal lobe so I see and deal with some of the mood stuff just about every day. For example, we'll be doing something and I think it's all going well ... and then all of a sudden he's upset about some random thing and we've got to go.

M in Oz
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,521 Member
    :::::
  • Machka9
    exermom wrote: »
    Every time I’ve asked him “what’s the matter” the answer was always “I’m just tired”. Maybe there’s something else going on because no one is tired all the time.

Michele NC

I had a bit of a chuckle about this ... I can't remember a time when I didn't feel somewhere between tired and utterly exhausted.

I'm sure I must have felt rested at some point many years ago, but it's faded from memory.

I'm that tired that last weekend, I slept 11 hours on Friday night, got up Saturday about noon, did a few things in the early afternoon, napped for 1.5 hours, then slept another 11 hours Sunday night, and could have easily slept much more.

I've increased the time I sleep during the week to 7.5 hours a night, but I still fall asleep on the bus and generally feel half awake during the day.

The tiredness is why it is a struggle for me to exercise after work. I just don't seem to have the energy anymore.

Machka in Oz

• GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    B)
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    <3
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,730 Member
    Katla - I don’t know what you use for posting but this is how you post a picture on the app.

Select the down arrow
    7nmkw2fawru1.jpeg

Then choose Photo Library, if the photo is on your phone or tablet. It will bring up your albums. Select the photo and hit add in the top right corner.

Hope this helps, Tracey
  • Machka9
    nxwc8joku88a.png

That's part of it ... another part of it is being "on duty" 24/7/365 for over 3 years now. I don't feel like I can ever fully relax. I feel like I always need to be ready to leap into action.

And I've been living at a fairly high stress level for over 3 years - chronic stress.

Fortunately I am aware there is a problem so I am attempting to do things to help ...
    - I do not drink alcohol. Haven't touched it in over 3 years.
    - No smoking, of course.
    - I also try to limit the amount of caffeine I take in.
    - I try to eat a healthy diet ... mostly.
    - I drink lots of water.
    - I try to exercise almost every day.
    - I try to get outside into the sunshine as much as I can, and I take Vit D.
    - I am trying to increase the amount I sleep.
    - I'm including some "play" activities in my day like colouring, reading and playing with Rhody.
    - I've dropped one day of work each fortnight.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    I am terribly disappointed and angry about the hours since I was told several times to track my hours. I heard today that this is the reason our Administrator was let go at a previous job.

Tracey in Edmonton

I understand how you feel.

I worked at a place for several few years as an Engineering Tech. In the last two years I was there, I was part of team on a project to design, build and release a new project. I was working 50-60 hours a week, but because I was salary, my pay did not increase beyond a 3% per year. It was a good place to work ... nice people, interesting projects, great benefits, decent salary ... but after working 50-60 hours a week for a couple years, I was starting to get tired and starting to wonder what else there might be out there.

Then my department invited to a celebration dinner for the project I had worked on ... nice! And about half the dinner was all about our successes. But the other half of the dinner was about the projects we would work on in the future and it ended up being a pep talk. If this one project was good ... more must be better.

When one of the speakers said something along the lines of ... we appreciate that you've all got families and we are a "family organisation" but we're going to ask you to sacrifice even more of your time to complete these new projects ........ I decided to quit.

Others were talking amongst themselves about the inspiring speakers and weren't all these new projects exciting, and I was sitting there thinking, "That's it. I'm handing in my resignation."

A few months later, I was cycletouring around Australia. :)

That might not be the direction you want to go, but I think I'd try to go even higher up the ladder to see what kind of compensation there might be ... and if there is not, from now on, just work the work hours.

Machka in Oz
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,483 Member
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: BP, email Chief again for ok.
    Bonus: two hours hiking with R and T.
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, T’ai Chi, Farmer’s Market, dog group, review June council minutes, county ARP project proposals 111.co.curry.or.us/ figure out how to see what’s using all our mobile data, USE those torture bands/do that BB&B video, call S, fire district: drop off cookies, clarification of chief’s report, finish and email draft minutes/meeting announcement, ongoing: input 2019 call sheets into NFIRS, work with chief on equipment letter, substance abuse policy, NFIRS mutual aid and other missing details, ask for boots donator contact info, appreciation letter or certificate to boots donator, index mutual aid files; watch STAS Day 20, declutter sideboard, learn new dances (Nothing but You, Do Your Thing, A Little Less Broken, Blame it on my beating heart, Homesick; practice dances: One Margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Pure Movies to Wine, Beer, Whiskey, I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat),); finish mulching flowerbed, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant the last of the naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove, ask Terry about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???, Reward: inventory seeds, plan this fall’s garden, wishlist replenishments (Milena F1 orange peppers and beit alpha cukes next year).
    Jump back July:
    7-Shift your mood by doing something you really enjoy:

No line dancing tonight, the Grange is hosting a Flamenco performance and I was just too pooped to go.

Penny thanks for the recipe, will pick up a jalapeno at the farmer’s market tomorrow ;). The pictures are stunning but that tern! Shades of Alfred Hitchcock! However did you manage to hold the camera steady? :love your advice to R in Ind. “under the fjord”??? :noway:
    Katla I’m enough of a fourth generation city gal to quail at the thought of eating Smokey or mama bear. Have heard of less persnickety neighbors stocking the freezer, but for me, I’d rather just encourage the critters to move on. ;}
    Barbie your Gretchen Rubin recommendation is spot on. You’ve shared so many helpful quotes and ideas, thank you always.
    Machka sorry to hear of the lymph node troubles. Here they are recommending not taking other vaccines until at least two weeks after the second Pfizer. Good question to Flea. Sound advice to Tracey too.
    Diane in Tn brava for the angel voice!
    Kim in Indiana congrats for taking off that pound!
    Vicki bottle rocket remnants on your front porch? Very thankful no fires.
    Annie great choice, Diane in Tn’s angel voice must have been in your ear.
    Debbie hooray for Zumba and HOORAY for “finally start putting myself a little higher up on my priority list and not last”
    Rebecca your skillet is mouthwatering.
    Allie sorry you need more tests but glad your endocrinologist is taking action.
    Kiz “get everything set . . . Have some recipes fall backs, prep meals and such…” sure sounds like a plan to succeed. Well done!
    Welcome @erinup Erin in N Cal. Debbie and Kim are there too and I lived in the E Bay and Mendo county for 45 years before moving to Idaho for 20, now settled on the Oregon coast close to the Calfornia border.
    Welcome @snacker127 in MD!
    Flea so maybe he would benefit from a little klop on keppe?
    Tracey wow your sister in law’s bear story, wow! I remember a news story once back in Idaho where a bear ripped into a camper, peeling the aluminum siding off and even tearing into the insulation. The terrified people inside were able to drive it away by banging on pots and pans. So far I’ve only seen the bears on the trail cam, never in person. We keep the dogs in the house or fenced part of the yard, while the garbage can is across the drive near the wood pile. So far, I’m more afraid of the cougar than the bears. Only saw its tail once but that was more than enough. That is a great meme, thanks.
    Sue in WA Fingers X’d for your cataract surgery on the 19th.
    R in Indiana lots of gals here have learned to "flip" mindsets for happiness and success. It helps me to focus on the "now" not what's coming or what's past. In this moment I can choose to do/say/eat something that will make me feel either better or worse. This choice, this moment is mine. ;)

Great adventure today with T and R. Walked two hours in the Lake Earl Wildlife Area. Dunes, forest, coastal prairie, swamp, zillions of different wildflowers, even more zillions of mosquitoes. Finally topped a dune for a view past the tules to the lake proper. Next time we’ll skip the side trails and go the distance to the point where we should be able to see past the lake to the mountains and ocean. Nice lunch after and yes I did have 2 small pieces of pizza and a beer but also split a wedge salad with R. CI are still 400+ under CO for the day, whew!

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    July: leaner/stronger/kinder than June.
    daily: sit with Joe: 5, weigh/wii: 6/0/0; steps>6701=10643!. vits=3.75, log=6, CI<CO=6, CI<250<CO=6, Tumble=3, Shadow=3, mfp=6, outside=6, up hill=6, clean 10=5.
    wkly: Sun: Mon: Tue:LD=. Wed:TC= PW=. Thurs: Fri:TC=1. Sat:PW=1. rX x4=1.
    wt=1/31:141.3 2/28:142.4 3/31:145.3 4/30:141.5 5/31:142.4 6/30:141.5 7/4: 140.7
    mnthly: board mtg=, grant=, 21 plan=, waist=42.0
    bonus: AF=3 play= sew=
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 848 Member
    Barbie, thank you for once again starting us off!
    Michele, about the fellow that you had asked what was wrong and he just said he was tired, it could be that he just has a lot going on and he just doesn't want to talk about it. Thus "I'm just tired" is his answer. I know I've used that as an answer when I don't feel like going into what the problem really is. It's a quick and easy answer, and kind of ends the discussion.
    Flea, I'm wishing you all the best in your journey, will be keeping you in my thoughts.
    Penny, Norway looks lovely! I will miss your photos of the North Pole, who knew there could be such beauty in such starkness! I suspect, tho, that your photos of Norway will make up for it! :)
    Lisa, glad to hear that you are feeling better, totally understand your cautiously optimistic attitude tho! Keeping you in my thoughts also and hope that you continue to feel better. I hope your farmer's market stuff picks up!
    Tracey, I didn't quite understand your post, why was the supervisor let go from a previous job? I think it's just criminal that supervisors/managers/whoever expect people to work overtime with no consideration to their lives! Just because you work for a living does not mean that you aren't entitled to having your time off actually be time off! I know I always feel bad if I have to contact the manager about something at work on her days off, even tho she says to. Fortunately, most things can be handled with a quick text.
    Allie, Happy Belated Birthday!
    Beth, I hope your birthday was as good as it could be.

Today was official wi day and I am up .2 of a pound. The surprising part is that I'm not up more than that, my eating this past week has been less that stellar... But today is a new day and I didn't graze my way thru the kitchen after dinner. I thought about it, but kept myself busy and was able to distract myself. It also helps that I have been getting to bed earlier the past few nights so wasn't too tired to care!
    I've been getting out on my bike more and more lately. When it was so stinking hot, I was still enjoying the ride, I made my own wind, so that helped keep me cool, would not have made it had I tried going for a walk. Today I did a personal best, 21.2 km. I did a quick conversion (thank you Google!) and that's just over 13 miles. I have done that in a day before, going back and forth to work, but this was all at one go and it took me 81 min. When I got home I did some proper stretching, not just the quick one that I've been doing lately, and found a few spots that I have been missing! Gave them some extra time....
    That's it for me, I know I missed lots of comments that I wanted to make, but as usual, enough time to read, but not to make notes or comment properly!
    Hugs to those needing them, congrats to those celebrating and welcome to the newbies!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • Machka9
    auntiebk wrote: »
    KatlaI’m enough of a fourth generation city gal to quail at the thought of eating Smokey or mama bear. Have heard of less persnickety neighbors stocking the freezer, but for me, I’d rather just encourage the critters to move on. ;}

Machka sorry to hear of the lymph node troubles. Here they are recommending not taking other vaccines until at least two weeks after the second Pfizer. Good question to Flea. Sound advice to Tracey too.
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD

Yeah, here too.

So I waited 5 weeks.

I wanted to wait another week or two so that all the symptoms from the Pfizer would ease but that was my last opportunity for a free flu vax.

And bear meat is ... YUCK! It's like gamey and fatty pig. I don't like pork and I like bear even less.

Cougars concern me much more than black bears. I've seen one cougar in the mountains ... and I will tell you that got my attention!! I've seen many black bears and they don't particularly worry me.

M in Oz
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Barbara— I have cousins in N California who hunt bears. I have heard through the family & facebook a bit about it. I wish them well. I don’t hunt other than at the grocery stores nearby. ⭐️
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Went out for a meal with ex colleagues last week, it was really good to see them. Haven't seen most of them for over a year due to the pandemic. One of the secretaries started a monthly get together, years before I started with Nestle and it has been going ever since, even as people have left Nestle they still go on the GNO (Girly Night Out). Some months there are only about six or seven that attend, but this time there was 17 of us. We had to sit outside (good job I took a jacket!) but it was so good to mix/catch up with friends. In fact out of the 17 there, only two still work at Nestle, the rest are like me retired or have moved on to other companies.

Feeling frustrated that I'm having to cut my dog walks short, my knee is so painful, not sure what to do, resting doesn't seem to help for long, I've been strapping it up, that doesn't help for long either.

Looks like lockdown maybe ending and things getting back to normal, waiting to hear what Boris recommends, I've had the two vaccines and there's talk of an annual vaccine. We'll have to see how it goes.

Take Care and love to all <3
    Viv UK
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,335 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    exermom wrote: »
    Every time I’ve asked him “what’s the matter” the answer was always “I’m just tired”. Maybe there’s something else going on because no one is tired all the time.

Michele NC

I had a bit of a chuckle about this ... I can't remember a time when I didn't feel somewhere between tired and utterly exhausted.

I'm sure I must have felt rested at some point many years ago, but it's faded from memory.

I'm that tired that last weekend, I slept 11 hours on Friday night, got up Saturday about noon, did a few things in the early afternoon, napped for 1.5 hours, then slept another 11 hours Sunday night, and could have easily slept much more.

I've increased the time I sleep during the week to 7.5 hours a night, but I still fall asleep on the bus and generally feel half awake during the day.

The tiredness is why it is a struggle for me to exercise after work. I just don't seem to have the energy anymore.

Machka in Oz

Yes, but he isn't taking care of a beloved spouse with a brain injury. To my knowledge, he isn't taking care of ANYONE with a brain injury. Maybe there's something else that I'm unaware of (something happening in the family)

Michele NC

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,335 Member
    Tracey – I think we’re many times tired because we are grown women, working jobs, raising families, we have more responsibilities. Remember, this is a young kid, unmarried, with none (that I know of) other commitments. To me, sometimes it seems like he doesn’t have anything else to do. Even on his day off he’ll come to the store to buy one item. Doesn’t go to school. I've asked what his hobbies are, what he's interested in and he's said the "just work". Huh?

Michele NC
    who is, in a sense, dreading giving her notice tomorrow but on the other hand is excited