Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Pfizer for teens?

Replies

• NVintage
    NVintage Posts: 1,463 Member
    edited July 2021
    I see in the UK hospitalizations and death is very low with about 50 % of cases, now, being young and unvaccinated. Does anyone know if these kids are getting over it quickly or having chronic issues afterward? I can't find much data on that. I assume if hospitalization is low, then probably not having issues, right? The under 15 crowd are still looking like they're least likely to have any problems other than a cold.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,036 Member
    Chronic issues are definitely possible even without hospitalisation. You might find this interesting:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-021-01433-3
  • NVintage
    NVintage Posts: 1,463 Member
    Thanks, I'll check that out!
    Lietchi wrote: »
    Chronic issues are definitely possible even without hospitalisation. You might find this interesting:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-021-01433-3

• nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    tmanfive wrote: »
    I was just saying, I wouldn’t take it until it was approved. I’m not using that as an excuse not to get it. I just won’t.

If a couple few rounds of e-coil, meningitis, and the many extremely unsafe things I’ve done in my lifetime hasn’t done me in this won’t.

A brown recluse spider bite, scorpion bites, and a tick bite that resulted in Anaplasmosis didn't do me in. Why? I received medical treatment.

And I got the Covid vaccine.

Oooh how did you do with the brown recluse bite??

You sound like me. I’m always in nature and have been bit by a fish, stung by a school of jellyfish, and got my hand impaled by a sea urchin. Lol.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    I was just saying, I wouldn’t take it until it was approved. I’m not using that as an excuse not to get it. I just won’t.

If a couple few rounds of e-coil, meningitis, and the many extremely unsafe things I’ve done in my lifetime hasn’t done me in this won’t.

A brown recluse spider bite, scorpion bites, and a tick bite that resulted in Anaplasmosis didn't do me in. Why? I received medical treatment.

You sound like me. I’m always in nature and have been bit by a fish, stung by a school of jellyfish, and got my hand impaled by a sea urchin. Lol.

That's just the ocean's way of telling you that you don't belong there. :p
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited July 2021
    nooshi713 wrote: »

Haha, after the first two I think I'd stay out of the water forever so I admire your bravery!
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    As always, risk vs benifit

Side effects of vaccine vs likelihood of disease outcomes for yourself and others.

No brainer.

This exactly. I'm in Australia as well and we're in the middle of big protests over mandatory vaccines. I think it should be up to the individual to decide if they want to be vaccinated or not. I decided to get the vaccination but it's not my place to force someone else to (I can just look after myself). However, if you choose not to get vaccinated then you need to face the consequences.

We have had very few cases compared to the rest of the world so I wonder if opinions will change when people begin to witness deaths and serious illness firsthand.
  • madaboutblu
    madaboutblu Posts: 24 Member
    I am late to this conversation but it's good to see a balanced and open discussion on this topic. I see it from both sides, I get people being fearful of Covid and wanting desperately to get their lives back - absolutely, but I also see others who are genuinely scared of the vaccine being berated by those who are vaccinated. If you have witnessed negative affects first hand and you decide you dont want to have it yet, I get that, because if we force people to be vaccinated there is no recompense for those suffering ill affects, in many cases they are not even being acknowledged. In the UK the narrative is changing and there is more investigation into the side affects, and the efficacy of the vaccine. They are rolling out 3rd doses as they think it wears off, they are also suggesting it doesn't reduce transmission or chances of catching covid, but minimizes the symptoms only and those who catch it have a similar viral load to those who don't. I think its a really complicated situation, and I just think we need to be kind and support each other best we can because nobody really knows the answers.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    naomi8888 wrote: »

Side effects of vaccine vs likelihood of disease outcomes for yourself and others.

No brainer.

This exactly. I'm in Australia as well and we're in the middle of big protests over mandatory vaccines. I think it should be up to the individual to decide if they want to be vaccinated or not. I decided to get the vaccination but it's not my place to force someone else to I can just look after myself. However, if you choose not to get vaccinated then you need to face the consequences.

We have had very few cases compared to the rest of the world so I wonder if opinions will change when people begin to witness deaths and serious illness firsthand.

Can you clarify something here? Vaccine mandates are being interpreted as forcing people to get vaccinated or lose access to jobs/indoor venues/transportation etc., hence the protests. If I'm reading you right, you are anti-mandate, but pro-consequences? Do you mean just that the consequences of being unvaccinated leaves one many times more likely to become seriously ill and die, or does that include the social consequences as well?

As far as the bolded, the answer is a clear no, judging by what's going on in the US in many hard-hit areas.
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    edited September 2021
    mph323 wrote: »
    naomi8888 wrote: »

No brainer.

This exactly. I'm in Australia as well and we're in the middle of big protests over mandatory vaccines. I think it should be up to the individual to decide if they want to be vaccinated or not. I decided to get the vaccination but it's not my place to force someone else to I can just look after myself. However, if you choose not to get vaccinated then you need to face the consequences.

Can you clarify something here? Vaccine mandates are being interpreted as forcing people to get vaccinated or lose access to jobs/indoor venues/transportation etc., hence the protests. If I'm reading you right, you are anti-mandate, but pro-consequences? Do you mean just that the consequences of being unvaccinated leaves one many times more likely to become seriously ill and die, or does that include the social consequences as well?

As far as the bolded, the answer is a clear no, judging by what's going on in the US in many hard-hit areas.

Hi mph, yes the government has made it clear over the last few weeks that unvaccinated people will not be allowed into many venues, can not gather with as many friends, etc.

The consequences I was talking about though were illness and death. We have low rates of Covid here (we go into lockdown over single digit cases) but after 230+ days in lockdown people are sick of it and rates are climbing. As more and more people witness firsthand the impact I would assume they will opt to get vaccinated but as you pointed out - maybe not, time will tell.

The protests started when the government announced last Friday that vaccines will be mandatory in the construction industry and only gave people a week's notice or they wouldn't be allowed to work. When the workers took to the streets to protest, the state government shut down the whole industry for two weeks. So... they're still protesting. Next they're focusing on mandates for teachers and childcare workers.