A Broken Man, But Better...

Replies

• salleewins
    salleewins Posts: 2,308 Member
    Chanda7799 wrote: »
    I’m glad you have given up! One day at a time!
    salleewins wrote: »
    Congratulations!! You have done well with all the obstacles you are dealing with!! We applaud your perserverance and many blessings we hope for you!! Never give up!! You are worth it always in the past and present!!

I have gone through a lot of trauma as well. It is hard. I am not done either, but growing as you. One minute, one day at a time. We have a purpose here. We definitely help others and can comfort others with the comfort we have gotten when we can.

Yes I believe one message here has a typo.

Yes the rent is most important, and the dog could be a goal down the road.
  • Autumnseer
    Autumnseer Posts: 9 Member
    Thanks for posting. From one introvert to another I found this inspiring and I know not easy putting yourself out there. You look great. Job well done. I did love the beard too!
  • lapierrecyclist
    lapierrecyclist Posts: 153 Member
    You are so brave. Thank you for sharing your journey. I can definitely identify with some of the things you posted and wish you every success as you continue to make progress in coming back to the world and to yourself.
  • mshawski
    mshawski Posts: 1,050 Member
    I think this was a really great step on your journey. Thank you for trusting this community enough to share it <3.
  • lamiller0365
    lamiller0365 Posts: 5 Member
    No need to respond. I am thankful to have read your post. I felt many connections to what you wrote - hiding from life, toxic work environment, fighting to come back to yourself, struggling with keeping yourself safe without withdrawing from the world. Your words have given me the opportunity to reflect on this in my own life. Thank you.
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I'm so glad you did. You're brave and doing all the right things for your physical as well as mental health. Bravo!
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    philwyeth wrote: »
    My therapist has been recommending an emotional support animal for a while now.

I absolutely love animals and had pets for a good portion of my life, and while I would love to have a dog there are a few issues:

The first issue is that I am still unemployed and can hardly afford to feed myself...
    The second issue is that my lease is adamant about no pets allowed...
    The third issue is that, contrary to my current situation, I strongly believe in community...

That's my long-winded way of saying thank you for the recommendation and I think it's a great idea. Unfortunately there are some things I need to address before I can make that happen.

Hi!

Firstly, thanks for posting your story and keeping us updated.

Secondly, have you considered dog walking for an elderly or immobile person? I realize you will have personal hurdles to jump, and you'd need to discuss with your therapist. Dog walking for someone would give you a reason to go out, interaction with another person (the dog owner), interaction with the dog and the satisfaction of giving something back into society and free exercise for yourself! As you are the one doing the dog walking, it will be mostly on your terms too.

Good luck with whatever you decide :smiley:

Your community might also have no-cost pet therapy programs that allow you to interact with trained therapy animals. I don't know if that would fit the bill, but you might consider asking your therapist about it and whether they know of a program near you.
  • BendableButMendable
    BendableButMendable Posts: 60 Member
    I owe everyone that has contributed to this thread an apology. I'm sorry that I disappeared and haven't responded in a couple weeks, that was rude and inconsiderate at best.

I have been really struggling the last couple weeks with the stress of my finances and trying to get the courage to actually look for work. Work has always been difficult for me. I don't mean that in a "I'm lazy and I don't wanna" kind of way, I mean that it has always been a hostile environment for me. There are three ways that I'm significantly different from the average person, all three of those differences has lead to teasing and bullying, one of them has lead to routine physical threats. For a long time I would laugh it all off and pretend it didn't affect me and think to myself that it will be different after I graduate college, get a promotion, they get to know me, etc. but it never got better.

My therapist has tried to assure me that things have changed in the workplace the last few years as I hid away from the world. She cites the Me Too Movement, gender equality, and progress against discrimination due to race, religion, or sexual preference. Please note that she isn't under the illusion that all those issues are fixed, only that progress has been made. Unfortunately, the three things that set me apart don't fall into any of those categories, so I doubt much of that progress will have made anything easier for my situation. I know you have no reason to believe me since I'm just some anonymous person on the internet, but none of my three differences make me hostile or dangerous to anyone. That makes it very difficult for me to understand the way people react to me. I know I'm being evasive about what the differences are, but I'm not comfortable posting them here. I will say that two of them I have absolutely no ability to change, the third I can change but won't and shouldn't have to (that's the one that garners the physical threats).

Anyway...

Over the last few weeks I was finally able to get to the store and get a new phone so that I can try the food delivery thing, even though I haven't been able to bring myself to actually sign up for that. But now I can use MFP on my phone like one of the cool kids.

I have been trying to fill out applications for some of the local big box stores that I know are hiring or signing up for some day labor, but every time I try I lock up in fear of having to actually start a new job.

I know I have to make progress on this but it is hard for me without having something to offset it in my personal life. Since I don't have that, and can't really get to that point without the finances to actually participate in society, I have to just jump in. That is a daunting thought that I'm struggling to get over.

Sorry once again for my absence from this thread, I will try to do better but as I said in my first post I can't make any promises on that front.
  • BendableButMendable
    @BendableButMendable thanks for your reply. I also have another thought, I am a Catholic and usually is every parish we have a group named the Society of St Vincent DePaul (SVDP). The group is made up of ordinary parishioners and their only purpose is to help people in the community in any practical way they can. There is no need to be Catholic or even have any faith and no requirement whatsoever to become Christian or attend church etc. Our group has done things such as pay people’s rent when they lost their job, paid the test fee for a guy to take is HGV license so he could get a job driving trucks, helped an elderly person downsize and move house when they had no family/friends to help. Helped a single mom find affordable childcare etc etc. Because they serve locally they are aware of all the local resources and also the group is made up of people willing to befriend others and do practical tasks or give support in any way they can. If you call them they usually send two people out to have a chat with you and assess where you are at and how they can help in the most useful way. One member brought me groceries when I had a child with cancer and couldn’t leave the house for example. If you want to make friends locally and would welcome some genuine practical help please give your local Catholic parish a call and ask for the SVDP.
    https://ssvpusa.org/

Thank you so much for this. I have a very hard time asking for that kind of help, but I'm at the point that I can't feasibly refuse help from anyone that is willing to offer it. I will do my best to get the courage to reach out to them.
  • BendableButMendable
    edited July 2021
    Autumnseer wrote: »
    Thanks for posting. From one introvert to another I found this inspiring and I know not easy putting yourself out there. You look great. Job well done. I did love the beard too!

I'm glad you got something out of it. Thanks for the compliment on the beard, I was actually pretty happy with it when it was well groomed. I ended up cutting it shorter and had it exactly where I wanted it before mask usage became a thing. I couldn't get it to look presentable after having a mask on so I trimmed it pretty short. Since the weight loss the shape of my face has changed so much I don't know if I can pull off a beard much bigger than what I have now. I'm not sure if I should be sad about that or happy...
  • BendableButMendable
    Chanda7799 wrote: »
    I’m glad you have given up! One day at a time!
    Congratulations!! You have done well with all the obstacles you are dealing with!! We applaud your perserverance and many blessings we hope for you!! Never give up!! You are worth it always in the past and present!!

I have gone through a lot of trauma as well. It is hard. I am not done either, but growing as you. One minute, one day at a time. We have a purpose here. We definitely help others and can comfort others with the comfort we have gotten when we can.

Yes I believe one message here has a typo.

Yes the rent is most important, and the dog could be a goal down the road.
    You are so brave. Thank you for sharing your journey. I can definitely identify with some of the things you posted and wish you every success as you continue to make progress in coming back to the world and to yourself.
    mshawski wrote: »
    I think this was a really great step on your journey. Thank you for trusting this community enough to share it <3.
    No need to respond. I am thankful to have read your post. I felt many connections to what you wrote - hiding from life, toxic work environment, fighting to come back to yourself, struggling with keeping yourself safe without withdrawing from the world. Your words have given me the opportunity to reflect on this in my own life. Thank you.
    Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I'm so glad you did. You're brave and doing all the right things for your physical as well as mental health. Bravo!

Thank you all for your comments, they mean a lot to me.
  • BendableButMendable
    philwyeth wrote: »

Hi!

Firstly, thanks for posting your story and keeping us updated.

Secondly, have you considered dog walking for an elderly or immobile person? I realize you will have personal hurdles to jump, and you'd need to discuss with your therapist. Dog walking for someone would give you a reason to go out, interaction with another person (the dog owner), interaction with the dog and the satisfaction of giving something back into society and free exercise for yourself! As you are the one doing the dog walking, it will be mostly on your terms too.

Good luck with whatever you decide :smiley:
    dfwesq wrote: »

Your community might also have no-cost pet therapy programs that allow you to interact with trained therapy animals. I don't know if that would fit the bill, but you might consider asking your therapist about it and whether they know of a program near you.

Thank you both, I think these are great ideas and I can look into them and discuss them with my therapist. I hadn't really considered either option before. She had recommended that I look into volunteering at an animal shelter but all of the shelters around me had stopped accepting volunteers due to COVID. I haven't looked in the last month or two though, so that may have changed by now.
  • BendableButMendable
    I suppose it's been long enough that this thread is due for a positive update, at least I think this is positive.

I was finally able to bring myself to apply for some jobs. I haven't had an offer yet but it's a numbers game so I'll try to keep submitting applications and hopefully find steady work soon. It's at least a step in the right direction.

I also finally got around to signing up for a food delivery app. I'm waiting for my background check to clear and then I should be able to start earning some money.

Pertaining to physical health and fitness... adjusting to maintenance is going well. I gained some weight (~4lbs) in the first few weeks but I think most of that was water weight with some muscle gains as my fat percentage stayed the same and I think I look leaner. I started losing again (back down to 170) and will shortly be upping my calorie intake to 2300-2400 to see how that goes.

I hope everyone is doing well on their own journey and thank you all again for your support.
  • kellibee2000
    kellibee2000 Posts: 86 Member
    I was finally able to bring myself to apply for some jobs. I haven't had an offer yet but it's a numbers game so I'll try to keep submitting applications and hopefully find steady work soon. It's at least a step in the right direction.

I also finally got around to signing up for a food delivery app. I'm waiting for my background check to clear and then I should be able to start earning some money.

giphy.gif

This is so exciting! I don't post much, because I don't have much to add to the lovely supporters you have on here. I'm inspired by your shares and how others have responded. I see the progress that you are making and you are the best kind of human! Rooting for you, every step of the way. <3
  • Bluetail6
    Bluetail6 Posts: 2,874 Member
    Fantastic job. You will get to where you want to be.😊
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!