WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2021

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,211 Member
    Options
    I'm very much an ambivalent gift giver. I don't like to feel obliged to do anything, so, I've more or less got rid of "duty" giving. I'm happy to make spontaneous gifts to people. For Christmas last year we gave very few gifts, by agreement, apart from the kids. If any one wants to know what I want, I say 'comestibles', and, for those who can afford it, I always say 'champagne'. I do not want any 'stuff' in my life! :# Champagne is my go to gift, unless they are AF, and then I buy lovely oils, like pistachio, or the best olive oil. I do buy my DSIL recipe books that I think she'll like, but I don't want any more physical books. Fun, small things are also great, like Penny's surprise for me. <3
    DH and I buy each other small fun things to unwrap in bed, for all occasions. We love that. Mostly they are 'comestibles'. :D Our other presents are things we need/want and are not surprises. Last Christmas it was lovely new pillows!
    Occasionally I fantasise about DH choosing the perfect ceramic, or glass, but I am sooooooo fussy and particular that I would have to tell him what to buy. I know what I like. :p Anyone want to buy me a fabulous Alan Caiger Smith piece? ! Or a Gallé? I have just the spot for it. :laugh:
    Flowers are also a fabulous choice, always, for me. Preferably pink. Thank you.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,870 Member
    Options
    7qbbjyr5y22t.png
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    B)
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Done/to do today
    walk to pool - DONE - long walk there and back, 2h+ at moderate pace, felt short on the way there with fun stop at café on the way, felt long on the way back, especially with day pack filling up and feeling very peckish
    swim - DONE 30+ min (1km) easier than last time 2 weeks ago
    by insect product - not available where I went.
    work on writing NOT YET
    once over cleaning NOT YET
    track SO FAR YET

fun: get coffee DONE
    dreamy: plan week DONE

creation: do sketch DONE and write, write - very briefly - DONE about motivation for writing to get me going

AND... LEFT OVER FROM YESTERDAY FOR TODAY:

15-25 min cardio at +115 HR DONE
    review and take notes on adviser's notes, (audio and written) prep for appointment TO CONTINUE SUNDAY. NOT YET
    produce good/ok pages of writing to send TO DO SUNDAY OR MONDAY NOT YET
    read some key material NO, DO TO SUNDAY AND MONDAY NOT YET
    go through at least 1 of late library books, and take notes NO, TO DO SUNDAY AND MONDAY NOT YET

e lie down in grass: NOT YET

end of day: walk, YES meditate ? NOT YET plan next day's work? YES

[/quote]

Also need a little rest right now!

order :
    1h rest
    1h clean
    * time needed -check notes and prep for tomorrow
    1h go through one overdue library book
    1h produce one good page
    1-5 min lie in grass
    15 min meditate

ok !
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,702 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Slept pretty well but got pounced on at 5:30 from Alfie wanting breakfast..i was able to rest for a little bit
    No naps lately which is good,and not aloud today because of tonight so will bring Dan back and forth to work and in between do some housework..will drop Alfie off late afternoon before i go over and come home take a shower and go
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    CICO today so far
    right now I need a break after a lot of exercise this morning

I hadn't had breakfast on the way home I was SO hungry so got
    a small banana, 1 essene GV bread thing (100g), 60g goat's cheese, a tiny pear,
    and then at home: 2 hard boiled eggs: aiming to up the protein.
    a lot of calories out and in.
    now it's 2pm

• bananasandoranges
    edited July 2021
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: BP, dogs to powerline, dog group,
    Bonus:
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, church, filing, review June council minutes, county ARP project proposals 111.co.curry.or.us/ figure out how to see what’s using all our mobile data, USE those torture bands/do that BB&B video, call S, fire district: drop off cookies, clarification of chief’s report, finish and email draft minutes/meeting announcement, ongoing: input 2019 call sheets into NFIRS, work with chief on equipment letter, substance abuse policy, NFIRS mutual aid and other missing details, ask for boots donator contact info, appreciation letter or certificate to boots donator, index mutual aid files; watch STAS Day 20, declutter sideboard, learn new dances (Nothing but You, Do Your Thing, A Little Less Broken, Blame it on my beating heart, Homesick; practice dances: One Margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Pure Movies to Wine, Beer, Whiskey, I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat),); finish mulching flowerbed, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant the last of the naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove, ask Terry about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???, Reward: inventory seeds, plan this fall’s garden, wishlist replenishments (Milena F1 orange peppers and beit alpha cukes next year).
    Jump back July:
    10-Reach out to someone you trust and share your feelings with them:
    11-Look for something positive in a difficult sitiuationi:

Oops! Did NOT take BP yesterday, and today fell down the internet hole for hours and hours researching supplements, both quality and costs. Signed up with Consumer Reports (gulp) so time to watch the rest of what I want from Hallmark and cancel that subscription to offset.

Julie something seems to be working for you, you sound happier!
    Heather :…Leave check for $150. Thank you” :laugh:
    Penny Brr!!! But sooo beautiful!
    Terri checked “Swallows and Amazons” out from library thanks to your mention. What a charming book, but cannot imagine children having such freedom and adventures nowadays…
    Allie prayer said for you and Dan. Hope the sleep test gives good answers.
    Carol glad to hear the good eye news. Your gratitude for being relieved of dog sitting duties made me smile.
    Pip :love: that poem. Happy 66th, Kirby!
    Machka you are probably three years’ worth of exhausted. Glad you’re finally getting some sleep. Thanks for understanding about giving the gift of listening. The “childhood punishments” meme made me snort my water. :laugh:
    Tracey :love: the Michaela and chair pics. Did your DH build the chair?
    Beth (((hugs)))
    Kiz “collecting fabric and sewing fabric are two different hobbies. Same with seeds” Ah yes, collecting seeds vs sowing and tending … that would be me!
    Welcome @jaimie1757 ! There are gals here at every stage of the journey.
    Kim thoughtful post about gifts. I’m delighted when something appears that would be “just right for X” but struggle with obligatory gift giving events. Fortunately have few to buy for (Joe, T, C, D and now R).

Too many glasses of red wine and sweets shattered my CI<CO run. Barely made steps. Do much better when strolls with T, D or R are scheduled. Need to figure out alternatives.

Back to the internet rabbit hole, this time to start researching a new to me suv.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    July: leaner/stronger/kinder than June.
    daily: sit with Joe: 9, weigh/wii: 10/0/0; steps>6701=6741, vits=7.75, log=10, CI<CO=9, CI<250<CO=9, Tumble=7, Shadow=9, mfp=11, outside=13, up hill=10, clean 10=5.
    wkly: Sun: Mon: Tue:LD=. Wed:TC=1 PW=1. Thurs: Fri:TC=2. Sat:PW=2. rX x4=2.
    wt=1/31:141.3 2/28:142.4 3/31:145.3 4/30:141.5 5/31:142.4 6/30:141.5 7/4: 140.7 7/11:
    mnthly: board mtg=, grant=, 21 plan=, waist=42.0
    bonus: AF=6 play= sew=
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW

how is the SUV seeking going? why an SUV?

mood: life is full of ups and downs. not being semi-confined and the mild summery weather certainly contribute to being more on the up side or less on the down side.

• bananasandoranges
    Options
    CICO
    weight not down at all.
    continuing on experiment with intermittent fasting. (not eating early in day) it doesn't seem to make me lose, but may make stability easier.
    one advantage is that I'm very GF (high intolerance: gluten gives me dramatic liquid runs, naturally accompanied by exhaustion, and vitamin deficiency), and breakfast, especially when travelling is the meal where it's not so easy or almost impossible to find GF when out. So it might well be easier to travel if I skip-ish breakfast...or have very late one... though I do like breakfast and its regularity.
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Regarding weight --

I have developed the knack of maintenance. After decades of up and down, I have maintained my weight for the past couple years! While maintaining is better than gaining, I'd like to lose weight.

But how?

I try to keep the number of calories I consume prior to 6 pm reasonably low. I eat lower calories foods and try to keep the quantity down. Until 6 pm, I'm on track.

Then I come home.

My husband makes dinner and sometimes that's OK, he'll make something fairly low cal but other times it's fairly high cal. I also get some really interesting combinations!! He has no sense of smell or taste because of his brain injury, so it doesn't really matter to him what he puts together ... and he doesn't really understand calories. I have made some attempts to explain but he doesn't seem to get it. I also cannot tell him that I don't want something because it upsets him. And finally, the Australian way of serving food is still weird to me ... the cook serves everything onto each plate rather than putting the food on the table in bowls. So he'll often serve me more than I want ... and if I mention I'd prefer less, that can upset him too.

Then he likes his sweets after and wants me to have them too. I talk to him about eating less and we do for a little while, then the quantity increases again.

So I've tried to eat less earlier in the day, but that just makes me grouchy hungry by the time I get home.
    And I've tried to exercise more, but that can be hard to keep up ... I get tired.

I'm not sure what to do.

Machka in Oz

Hi Machka I think you just need to stick your guns.
    it's not fair for anyone to be pushed to eat more than they want to because a husband, wife, mother, grandma WANTS you to eat more.

maybe you can say. this is delicious but as I'm smaller I don't have as big a stomach, so I'm happy to save some of this delicious food for tomorrow.
    same for desserts.

I think it can be a tricky situation for many couples. I haven't been in a couple for. awhile but in my last couple I did most of the day to day cooking. when I'd cook I'd use like 1 tsp of cooking oil per person max or so. he could use a quarter cup for the 2 for 1 meal of us in his veggie cooking. it was very tasty I'm sure, but... and I think if I asked him to use less oil he didn't like having his style cramped...so I ended continuing doing most of the food prep.

It's really common for people in the same family not to eat exactly the same food and certainly not the same quantities.
    You can also ask for it to not be served onto the plate OR serve it onto the plate yourself.

There needs to be a bit of compromise.

• bananasandoranges
    Options
    I tried to add something I forgot yesterday on my food diary but impossible today, to go back or forward. anyone else have that issue?
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Allie—Good luck with your medical procedure. :heart:

Michele—So sorry that Vince’s car was hit by someone. :ohwell:

jaime1757—Welcome! :flowerforyou:

Machka— You have quite a dilemma. The only thought I have is to use smaller plates. :ohwell:

I am having a good time knitting a baby blanket. Our daughter-in-law is expecting a baby, due in November. We plan to be there so DDIL and our son can go to the hospital for the birth and we can stay at their home with our grandson.

Katla in NW Oregon
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,870 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking I need to become more consistent about lunch walks ... less browsing through shops, more walking. That might help the CO side of things.

M in Oz
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    FLOWERS This is not my post...
    I'm into cut flowers of late. I know it's not ecological in most cases (it's an industry like another with it's pros and cons), but it does brighten up the home. lately I've been getting a single Lily with a few flowers on the stock which lasts a good week. I dislike the strong smell, so I remove the stamen/center and that seems to sort the smell out for the most part. I love their big flowing form.[/quote]

I am getting flowers from my gardens now. When I cut them or get fresh from the store. I compost them when they are finished. I try to compost the organic matter I can because that is what creates the methane in the landfills.

Went to DSIL memorial service yesterday in Spruce Wisconsin. Lovely spot by an old church in the country. I did bring flowers from my yard and son's. One of the flowers was feverfew I got from my mother in law (her mother). From son's house I picked what were his favorite. They were they only fresh flowers there. I am glad I brought them. DH was going to end his speech with all the dificuties she had in her life. All I said is I would leave out about the job troubles. Something must have gotten through either me or his sister because he ended with how well she overcame her troubles and with how proud she would be to see how well her son and daughter-in-law are doing. Her son and her had a difficult relationship. They are now expecting twin boys.

Beth I just saw video adding Magnesium so calcium is absorbed better helps too. Use Epson salts for the magnesium not sure of ratio. Info would be on line. Hope this helps.
    :heart: Margaret

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,547 Member
    Options
    ~~~~~
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,211 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Machka - It's no wonder you are tired. <3 I'm sure you will think of something to get round the situation.

Couple of good things today. :D
    Firstly, I made a spinach and feta pie for dinner, while I was preparing lunch. Haven't had one for ages. Will make coleslaw, plus chips for DH.
    Secondly, I gently suggested to DH that he could Zoom the family for the match. He looked a bit doubtful, but this morning I asked him if he had given it more thought. At breakfast he texted my son who thought it was a brilliant idea and is going to invite him 15 mins before it starts. :D The kids will love it!

This afternoon I walked into town to exchange my soda syphon cylinder. I popped into Tesco, a giant supermarket, to buy a couple things that they do the best. They have started hugely discounting some products if you have their Clubcard. At the till I told the lady that it was the last time I was coming and she should tell her manager that I considered it bullying and coercion and bad practice. Grrrrrr! I refuse to do loyalty cards.

This is DH's poem for the kids tonight.

ENGLAND ENGLAND WE LOVE YOU THE BEST
    YOUR FOOTBALL IS BETTER THAN ALL OF THE REST
    AND JUST FOR TODAY THE ONES WE HATE BITTERLY
    ARE ALL OF THE FANS WHO ARE SHOUTING FOR ITALY
    BUT WE PROMISE TOMORROW WE WON'T HATE THE BLUES
    IF OUR ENGLAND WIN AND THEIR ITALIANS LOSE

Edie was playing her first proper football match today. DDIL sent a video of her nearly scoring a goal!

Much love, Heather UK xxxxxxxx