WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2021

Options

Replies

• Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,046 Member
    Options
    I'm taking my cousin back to the airport in a bit. She had an eventful trip with the funeral service and hurricane and her mother in the hospital.

Tomorrow I have four hours of Zoom scheduled, including the Writing group. I have an assignment to do for that yet. And then Tuesday my sister is coming with her grandson. He has always been a little diva, nothing gets done when he is around. My mother usually does the shopping for the visit but she seems to be leaving it to me this time. Lots to do. I'm not used to being this busy; it makes me nervous.

Teddy seems a lot better. I skipped his pain pill because he was frisky. I just need to keep my sister's grandson away from him. The kid is nine and I'm told he is getting more mature. But they said that last year and he was a little brat. I really don't like this kid. But there's no sense getting upset ahead of time. Sufficient unto the day are the troubles thereof.

Annie in Delaware
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,870 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to figure it out for some time now.

So far all I've got are:
    - exercise more. I do want to start running at lunch a couple times each week again ... and walking more on other days.
    - order lower calorie foods and ingredients. He works with what's there.

M in Oz
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    😊
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    Good Sunday!
    I leave for 24 hours and y'all got chatty! LOL!
    Work was good considering I got little done that "needed" to be done. I did manage to get through a pile of papers that needed sorted -trashed and filed as appropriate. Met friends for a meal then headed to Kentucky. I was so full from supper that even my bra hurt sitting on the tummy! I think I was so hungry that I didn't breathe while inhaling food. I ended up taking it off while driving! Felt so freeing! Found no critters under the house- yay! Got rid of spiders. I got to hand feed a cow and she even let me pet her! DH and I sat on the porch with spiked lemonade and just relaxed. It is so peaceful here!

Yesterday was a day of great people. My nephew married a beautiful lady. It was our other nephew's wife's birthday. It was another friend's anniversary. It was Pip's DH's birthday. Popular day!

Gifts- My nephew and his wife sent a thank you note for their gift which was donations to some of their honeymoon experiences. My oldest daughter believes in experiences more than things so I try to use that as my guide. Gift giving is so difficult these days as everyone buys what they want. With the grands all getting older, it is harder to buy things, so experiences work much better.

DH does stock and talk with people on the showroom, but his lack of vision makes helping me out not possible. What I would like from him is more back up. We will see.

Page 28. Need to get some stuffs done, will catch up more in short while.

<3
    Kylia currently in Kentucky
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,211 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Edie and her team. <3:D<3

xvhstvtsev7q.jpg

She is the little one, third girl from the right of the pic. Nice kit. :p

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Amendment to last line.
    rgfcwetuk2il.jpg

:D
    Excitement rising to fever pitch!!!!!

Heather UK, who thinks Italy will win. :o:o:o
    Xxxxxx
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Here is a good article on the gut microbiome. Ignore the bit where they are trying to sell something. :#

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/jul/11/unlocking-the-gut-microbiome-and-its-massive-significance-to-our-health

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,844 Member
    Options
    Pg. 23

Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie I have not been to any al-anon meetings but have read the AA book. I am working on not enabling him. If he wants alcohol, he has to go get it himself. What’s working is that I am testing giving him the grocery money which he has to pay for gas for the car, groceries, and his beer out of it. He puts a lot of value to food showing love so he needs to make the decision of food or beer. This is helping me to support him but not enable him. I hope it works.

RvRita
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,454 Member
    Options
    So thinking of getting my hair cut before our trip. Right now its behind my ears. Husband announced because I didnt get it cut yesterday when he offered to take me, then today I can walk there. So out of spite I have announced that I won't get it cut today, because he was being so cheeky! Men! I might do it tomorrow. I have 4 letters to write before we leave on Thursday. I will take a month break from that hobby.
    I will need to take some Tupperware so that when I am in a situation where everyone is eating, but I am fasting, I can take my portion and eat it when my window opens. I still want to be in control of the when. The settling for whatever, whenever sets me in a panic. If I can control one thing in my life, its the when regarding eating. The what, I can settle for what I can get at the time. I know for a fact that I don't function well on any sort of fast food, (except Arbys Reuben sandwiches).👍🙃😋. But burgers will just sit in my gut and make me feel miserable. I would rather not eat than eat crappy. If I have learned anything during this intermittent fasting mind shift is that when I eat, its not lots of chemicals, and preservatives. I owe myself respectful, and mindful eating. I run better on foods that energize, and process well.
    Rebecca
    Nervous about traveling!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,918 Member
    Options
    :)Rita I highly recommend Al Anon to help you and leave your husband to seek his own recovery
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,392 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Rebecca - have a look at the article I posted. :)

Breaking news......my son has just ten minutes ago rung DH and told him that they have all taken covid tests today and are negative, so my son has driven over to pick him up. He has just left.
    So happy for him and what a great thing for them to do for him. :D<3
    Wonderful!
    Heather, happy and grateful in Hove UK xxxxxxxx

Oh, well done for your son and family. Such a lovely gesture. And fingers crossed for England!
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Regarding weight --

I have developed the knack of maintenance. After decades of up and down, I have maintained my weight for the past couple years! While maintaining is better than gaining, I'd like to lose weight.

But how?

I try to keep the number of calories I consume prior to 6 pm reasonably low. I eat lower calories foods and try to keep the quantity down. Until 6 pm, I'm on track.

Then I come home.

My husband makes dinner and sometimes that's OK, he'll make something fairly low cal but other times it's fairly high cal. I also get some really interesting combinations!! He has no sense of smell or taste because of his brain injury, so it doesn't really matter to him what he puts together ... and he doesn't really understand calories. I have made some attempts to explain but he doesn't seem to get it. I also cannot tell him that I don't want something because it upsets him. And finally, the Australian way of serving food is still weird to me ... the cook serves everything onto each plate rather than putting the food on the table in bowls. So he'll often serve me more than I want ... and if I mention I'd prefer less, that can upset him too.

Then he likes his sweets after and wants me to have them too. I talk to him about eating less and we do for a little while, then the quantity increases again.

So I've tried to eat less earlier in the day, but that just makes me grouchy hungry by the time I get home.
    And I've tried to exercise more, but that can be hard to keep up ... I get tired.

I'm not sure what to do.

Machka in Oz

Hi Machka I think you just need to stick your guns.
    it's not fair for anyone to be pushed to eat more than they want to because a husband, wife, mother, grandma WANTS you to eat more.

maybe you can say. this is delicious but as I'm smaller I don't have as big a stomach, so I'm happy to save some of this delicious food for tomorrow.
    same for desserts.

I think it can be a tricky situation for many couples. I haven't been in a couple for. awhile but in my last couple I did most of the day to day cooking. when I'd cook I'd use like 1 tsp of cooking oil per person max or so. he could use a quarter cup for the 2 for 1 meal of us in his veggie cooking. it was very tasty I'm sure, but... and I think if I asked him to use less oil he didn't like having his style cramped...so I ended continuing doing most of the food prep.

It's really common for people in the same family not to eat exactly the same food and certainly not the same quantities.
    You can also ask for it to not be served onto the plate OR serve it onto the plate yourself.

There needs to be a bit of compromise.

All that might work with a person without a brain injury ... unfortunately, it's a bit more tricky with a person with a brain injury.

Making the evening meal is an independence thing for him, and it's his way of telling me he loves me. Also it is really hard to explain things to him. So much misunderstanding and tears.

M in Oz

that sound rough,

maybe only eat dinner ?
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    Peach1948 wrote: »
    Machka: I wonder if you could bring a small container to the table when your DH serves your plate and tell him you want to save some of it for your lunch the next day as you get so hungry at that time. I guess that could backfire if it made him serve you even more on your plate. I used to take dinner left overs for my lunch the next day and it was so easy.

Serving Meals: When I was growing up the food was always served on the table. I continued to do this when I got married but over the years it evolved that we served our selves from the stove. Now, after almost 53 yrs of marriage, DH fixes his breakfast and lunch and I do my own. Then, I prepare dinner and we fix our plates and eat in front of the television. Guess that's kind of sad but it works for us.

Carol in GA

Machka, I was thinking smaller plates too.
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,824 Member
    Options
    B)
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    got some nice exercise and tiny bit of housework today but that's about it.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,547 Member
    Options
    Stat for the day-

Housecleaning- 2hrs 29min, 59sec, dust vacuum, laundry, fold n put away clothes, dust sweep, clean patio, fill dog food bucket= 800c
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,947 Member
    Options
    got up early(dh woke me up when he came in from work at 7), couldn't fall back to sleep and actually felt pretty rested which rarely happens, so got up and got the dehydrator going before going to church(planned on setting it up after)- six racks of mango and two of cinnamon apples. I cooked down the trimmings from the mango, added some fresh ginger and a little drizzle of honey to top some pork chops for dinner tomorrow- When it comes to the mango and pineapples I put in the dehydrator- I waste NOTHING except the peels. When I candied the ginger the last few times, I used the syrup to then candy some pineapple- OOOOHHHH SO GOOD then cooked down the pineapple ginger syrup that was left to make like a honey to put in my tea, finally, made tea in the pan that I had made the syrup. Not a drop of it went to waste-just my waist and a friends- she loved it too.
    I don't need to candy more ginger right now but think I will just grate fresh ginger into the sugar/syrup and do some pineapple(have 3 whole ones to process) then make more of the ginger pineapple honey. Have other friends that want some.

Going to work on the catnip toys for the rest of the afternoon while the dehydrator is going.
    DH is out with a co worker all day again- just me and son(and he is in his room on his computer- I did make him lunch when I realized he was awake)

Hope everyone has a wonderful day-
    Rest up a little- get ready for Monday.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA