Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fitness and diet myths that just won't go away

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    Mellouk89 wrote: »
    I actually had a person ask me if it hurt t be fat. I asked him if it hurt to be bald. Sometimes you have to be your own advocate, because there's a lot of myths about 'Fat' people out there. I used 'Fat' intentionally because we know all to well what we are, and how we look. Nobody chooses to be this way, a lot of factors are in play both physical & mental. It takes a long time and many false starts to overcome.

'Normal' people take a moment to think before you speak, the embarrassment you save may be yours. We're tired of being targets for all the well meaning jerks who think it's alright to insert yourself into our personal lives in such a way.

The two can't be compared at all, it's absurd. Being bald is something that you inherit and can't change, obesity is a whole different story. You may think you are the exception but for 95% of cases it is something you have control over. The biggest dick move is insulting someone for things they are born with and can't change, like being bald, having physical deformities, etc... There's a clear disctinction between the two.

A lot of people are bald because they got tired of having hair and shaved it, or think they look better that way.

Or because of chemotherapy.

Interestingly, in this context, sometimes chemo-induced baldness *does* hurt. It wasn't true for me, but some people report burning or prickling of the scalp with chemo-induced hair loss.

I guess baldness might also hurt the shave-y people if nicks or razor burn, too.

Insults are a jerk move, though, even when responding to something offensive. High road is better, IMO.

Still think the belief is absurd, as PP implies, that it makes a difference in degree of jerk-i-tude that fat is a choice (I could argue) but baldness is not. Extra absurd when the baldness insult followed the fatness one.

Insults are a jerk move, regardless.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,570 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I actually had a person ask me if it hurt t be fat. I asked him if it hurt to be bald. Sometimes you have to be your own advocate, because there's a lot of myths about 'Fat' people out there. I used 'Fat' intentionally because we know all to well what we are, and how we look. Nobody chooses to be this way, a lot of factors are in play both physical & mental. It takes a long time and many false starts to overcome.

'Normal' people take a moment to think before you speak, the embarrassment you save may be yours. We're tired of being targets for all the well meaning jerks who think it's alright to insert yourself into our personal lives in such a way.

The two can't be compared at all, it's absurd. Being bald is something that you inherit and can't change, obesity is a whole different story. You may think you are the exception but for 95% of cases it is something you have control over. The biggest dick move is insulting someone for things they are born with and can't change, like being bald, having physical deformities, etc... There's a clear disctinction between the two.

A lot of people are bald because they got tired of having hair and shaved it, or think they look better that way.

Interestingly, in this context, sometimes chemo-induced baldness *does* hurt. It wasn't true for me, but some people report burning or prickling of the scalp with chemo-induced hair loss.

I guess baldness might also hurt the shave-y people if nicks or razor burn, too.

Insults are a jerk move, though, even when responding to something offensive. High road is better, IMO.

Still think the belief is absurd, as PP implies, that it makes a difference in degree of jerk-i-tude that fat is a choice (I could argue) but baldness is not. Extra absurd when the baldness insult followed the fatness one.

What if it's part of a rap battle?
  • Mellouk89
    Mellouk89 Posts: 469 Member
    edited July 2021

Yes I think there is a difference between something that you can change and something you cannot change. The bald dude will forever be bald and the obese person, for most cases can lose weight.

Edit : And I think both are jerk moves, but to different degrees.
  • yweight2020
    yweight2020 Posts: 591 Member
    edited July 2021
    SnifterPug wrote: »
    You have to exercise to lose weight.

This mine too, love it my friend wanted to argue and debate me on this because she used a boot camp and near starvation to lose 20 lbs quickly. What she didn't realize it was because she was barely eating anything that the pounds dropped, the moment she went back to her regular eating the pounds are back.

Mean while I've lost the majority of my 50 lbs doing no exercise. I'm starting to exercise now to tone up, but exercise didn't make me lose weight it's all about not over eating to many calories. CICO baby
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,493 Member
    glassyo wrote: »

What if it's part of a rap battle?

Rap Battles are so 2013.....

Breakdance Fighting has currently made a badly needed resurgence.

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,493 Member
    SnifterPug wrote: »
    You have to exercise to lose weight.

This mine too, love it my friend wanted to argue and debate me on this because she used a boot camp and near starvation to lose 20 lbs quickly. What she didn't realize it was because she was barely eating anything that the pounds dropped, the moment she went back to her regular eating the pounds are back.

Mean while I've lost the majority of my 50 lbs doing no exercise. I'm starting to exercise now to tone up, but exercise didn't make me lose weight it's all about not over eating to many calories. CICO baby

What works for me:

In this order....

Diet
    Diet
    Diet
    Diet
    Weights
    Diet
    Diet
    Weights
    Diet
    Cardio
    Diet
    Diet
  • lokihen
    lokihen Posts: 382 Member
    Lol, my friend and I were waiting in line and she picked up some kind of ACV supplement bottle off a display, "Is this a thing again?" I laughed and said it's always a thing, but nice for cooking.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,688 Member
    Depends how long the second "I" is...
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    nossmf wrote: »

Maybe. Or on the magnitude of the initial HI, and the nature of the exercise?

The thing that is a head-scratcher to me is when folks advocating the circuit-training-ish HIIT claim it has benefits that were demonstrated in research on specific sorts of cardio HIIT . . . I guess because it's all "HIIT"?

That, and when someone posts a thread to ask "how do I estimate the calories for HIIT?". IMO, one doesn't. One estimates that calories from circuit training, calisthenics, cycling, running, rowing . . . etc. HIIT is a pacing strategy, IMO, not an exercise type.

Mostly, I think calling things HIIT is trendy, and people like doing the supposedly cool stuff.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,451 Member
    Well it can't be that long if the class is an hour long.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Doing HIIT 1 hour class.

If it's 1 hour long, it AIN'T HIIT.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

HIIT is done at an intensity that can't be maintained for an hour. The intervals are extremely short and the rest periods after also extremely short such that you must work as hard as you're able to when you're not recovered.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Myth: HIIT is a productive way to exercise for health.

Truth: adaptations from HIIT are extremely short lived. Your body responds to the extreme but controlled stress by doing things like increasing blood plasma volume to carry more oxygen to the working muscles. That goes back to normal within a week.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    YellowD0gs wrote: »
    Myth: HIIT is a productive way to exercise for health.

Truth: adaptations from HIIT are extremely short lived. Your body responds to the extreme but controlled stress by doing things like increasing blood plasma volume to carry more oxygen to the working muscles. That goes back to normal within a week.

I have a group of friends who want to support another friend who's starting out as a personal trainer. It sounded like a nice idea to me, but I looked into some of her marketing materials and it's all HIIT-type stuff (maybe there's really something there, but it all came off as a little woo to me knowing what I do now from reading these here forums). Trying to look for a graceful way to bow out now without offending everybody, to do more conventional strength training instead.

It's funny because I'm one of the first people to say that there are clear differences between male and female bodies, but how exercise and fitness is marketed to ladies is really bonkers.

If your friend is worth a whit as a trainer, they'll train you to help you reach you goals, not theirs.

But you probably knew that already.

It helps to be reminded, so thank you!

I did decide to reach out to specifically ask. I actually don't know her personally but we know a lot of the same people. There's some group thing being organized so the specifics for that group may have a narrower scope than if I were to seek out something one-on-one. I could have been too hasty to judge based on promo materials. Her target audience isn't people who spend a bunch of downtime on MFP, after all. :D
  • fitstrongfitlove
    fitstrongfitlove Posts: 58 Member
    Apple cider vinegar will remove the enamel on your teeth. I guess that counts as weight loss.

You don't really need enamel on your teeth if you don't mind strong sensitivity to hot or cold temperatures. Not really sure if it is worth the netgrams in weight loss

@Up_n_Running