Options

Replies

• dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    kymarai wrote: »
    Good Saturday!
    Car show today so off work :) Not really, but not going to shop. I caught up on bills and check books last night! Whew! Property taxes were due yesterday so am thankful for the ability to pay online! Now to get stuffs in the file cabinet-yuck. Feels good to know things are caught up in that department for the moment. Work stuffs to do this weekend, but not at shop. I am taking my cross stitch with me to car show. Something a little more relaxing.

Machka- Love the flowers! The squirrels and chipmunks eat bulbs when I plant them. Hostas grow like crazy though. Then I just add some flowers for color.

Ladies, Have a wonderful day! Enjoy your time with family, friends, and even yourself!
    You are WORTH it!

<3
    Kylia in Ohio dodging rain

Something digs up some of my bulbs too ... it's either possums or birds. That's partly why I wanted to plant a lot ... I'm not expecting all of them to come up.

M in Oz

If you put the bulbs in wire cages then bury them, the critters can't get them

Debbie
  • kizanne2
    kizanne2 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Did you know that you make 80% of the cholesterol in your body?
    That is why low carb, higher fat most the time lowers cholesterol. If you eat healthy fats your body just makes less.

Here's a clip from Harvard

Fats and Cholesterol
    When it comes to dietary fat, what matters most is the type of fat you eat. Contrary to past dietary advice promoting low-fat diets, newer research shows that healthy fats are necessary and beneficial for health.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Debbie — Great idea for protecting bulbs from critters. I am impressed. o:)
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Machka – What a beautiful place to enjoy a bike ride. Good for you! :star:

Pip –- I am delighted that Yogi is doing well. :heart:

Barbara –- The brass wool did not work. It was too big and bulky for tiny spots. We’re putting a liquid pesticide in each spot today. Here’s hoping this works. ;grumble:

(((Allie))) –- Calling your doctor is wise. I hope he or she is able to relieve the depression with appropriate medicine. :flowerforyou:

DH is making breakfast for us this morning and it smells wonderful. I’ve had a birthday card from our son and his family and I am feeling good about the day. Our youngest grandson signed the card with his family. I also had a zoom call from our daughter and family. I am 71. :bigsmile:

Katla in NW Oregon

Happy belated birthday- Hope it was amazing
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    kizanne2 wrote: »
    Kiz I hope the poor baby finds a good home! So sad.

Annie in Delaware

Thank but I've done foster care as a foster parent and it's a terrible system. Many of the foster parents actually have like 6 kids and do it for the money which is laughable because they don't give you enough money to pay for a child and their typical needs. Being a baby he may have a better shot at a decent temporary home. Obviously we will work to get the baby back with the mom. She didn't do anything and wasn't involved. It isn't like on going neglect or abuse it was a one time thing by dad while she was gone shopping. Even if there was something earlier she had no idea the baby is only 2 months old and can't communicate.

She is willing to do whatever they want to get her son back. I think though the social worker is pushing them around because they don't know what they can do or can't do and aren't used to dealing with government.

I don't know anything about Alabama's DHR system but here in Florida parent do have rights.

we were foster parents for a while but dealing with the system here was crazy. We only took babies so we didn't get many placements because they had their favorite families that they placed with instead. Our worker kept saying she thought we only wanted fost/adopt placements. No, we would take either. Every visit she said the same thing. We did adopt our son(our first placement-relinquished at birth by both teen parents)- wanted to adopt another one but we were told we were on the wrong list each time. We stopped when I was told I would have to give up my daycare license(my full time employment). I couldn't do both any more. We went two years with no placements and no way I could give up my job for maybe getting a placement.
    One baby the system gave the mom a choice- go into rehab and take the baby with her or go to jail. Of course she took the baby with her. A few months later, he was placed in another home, instead of coming back to us.

Debbie
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    kevrit wrote: »
    kymarai wrote: »
    I am in so much trouble with my doctor next week.....
    Blood work not good cholesterol wise......ldl went up 30 points and triglycerides up 40 points!! I guess I really need to focus on me! I don't eat that badly I didn't think but eating hasn't been a focus, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I need to get a handle on this. I suck at taking medicine! I don't like taking it as I feel one thing leads to another....270 is a little high though. My HDL is still at 90 so that is a plus. I will see what doctor says, but hopefully we can figure this out without statins or other meds. So I know junk food and STRESS don't help....Reckon I need to figure this out......

Thanks for listening. Tips or suggestions welcome. Reading to be done.

This too will be taken care of one way or another. I am important to many people, so really need to figure this out for my health.

<3
    Kylia

Cholesterol is a funny thing. I eat right but mine is really high. Sometimes it is hereditary as in my case.

RvRita

Totally agree- mine has always been higher than they want. One doctor ran the test twice- was surprised that at just 98lbs, my cholesterol was 300. I got it lower but it is back up higher than it should be- no meds, just diet and exercise.
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Debbie — Great idea for protecting bulbs from critters. I am impressed. o:)

thanks- comes from years of hearing my dad talk about the gophers eating the plants- The artichokes they especially enjoy.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,057 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Flea,

I love this look.

Karen in Virginia
  • kizanne2
    Options
    Flea,

I agree it looks great. Polished but a little flirty too.

Kiz
    North FLorida
  • kizanne2
    Options
    [/quote]

we were foster parents for a while but dealing with the system here was crazy. We only took babies so we didn't get many placements because they had their favorite families that they placed with instead. Our worker kept saying she thought we only wanted fost/adopt placements. No, we would take either. Every visit she said the same thing. We did adopt our son(our first placement-relinquished at birth by both teen parents)- wanted to adopt another one but we were told we were on the wrong list each time. We stopped when I was told I would have to give up my daycare license(my full time employment). I couldn't do both any more. We went two years with no placements and no way I could give up my job for maybe getting a placement.
    One baby the system gave the mom a choice- go into rehab and take the baby with her or go to jail. Of course she took the baby with her. A few months later, he was placed in another home, instead of coming back to us.

Debbie[/quote]

Debbie funny you say that. We went to adopt a specific teen once and were told that one was taken and encouraged to be foster parents to get in the adoption track. We did all the work to be therapeutic foster parents with the intent of fostering before adopting at their recommendation. They kept sending us kids who weren't up for adoption. The state here claims so many teens are hard to place but apparently they might just not pay too much attention. After fostering for years off and on we stopped and moved on.

Kiz
    North Florida.

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,555 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: church, council meeting.
    Bonus: Walked around Azalea Park during concert, Freddie’s.
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, make whey lemon pie filling, call R, follow up minutes question with Doreen, reconcile Medicare part B statements, figure out how to see what’s using all our mobile data, USE those torture bands/do that BB&B video, call S, fire district: drop off cookies, transcribe district volunteer forms, research NFPA, grant NIMS requirements, ongoing: input 2019 call sheets into NFIRS, work with chief on equipment letter, substance abuse policy, NFIRS mutual aid and other missing details, Monday confer with Susan and Rhonda about interest for serving on next board, likewise Lee skills/tasks, ask for boots donator contact info, appreciation letter or certificate to boots donator, index mutual aid files; watch STAS Day 20, declutter sideboard, learn new dances (Nothing but You, Do Your Thing, A Little Less Broken, Blame it on my beating heart, Homesick; practice dances: One Margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Pure Movies to Wine, Beer, Whiskey, I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat),); finish mulching flowerbed, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant the last of the naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove, ask Terry about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???, Reward: inventory seeds, plan this fall’s garden, wishlist replenishments (Milena F1 orange peppers and beit alpha cukes next year).
    Jump back July:
    18-Let go of the small stuff and focus on the things that matter: can’t see the big picture for the punctuation ;{
    19-If you can’t change it, change the way you think about it: instead of ugly bulges, they’re reserves of energy to be USED!

Belated best birthday wishes to Karen!
    Pip I like your choice but how the heck are you going to get up there to switch them out?
    Heather “champagne and brulee cheesecake” sounds delightful! Great pic!
    Kiz, thanks! Wow you weren’t kidding when you said these weren’t cheap. Will wait til after September bloodwork and appointment to decide what to do, but this might help me persuade Dr. to let me go off the statins for a test period. https://www.testsymptomsathome.com/index_pol.asp#upgrade Oh Kiz, just read about your great grand nephew. Prayers for you, your niece and grand niece and ggn. No contact with social work before placing in foster care, that IS so messed up.
    Welcome @pegss0115! You posted just fine. My best tip is to get a food scale and weigh not measure your food. It’s a real eye-opener, as is logging every bite, lick or sip.
    Beth :love: Cecil, his coat is gorgeous!
    Rebecca “…we watched her get spun up on sugar!” :naughty:
    Katla best birthday wishes one day early! Hope you have extra fun ;) My BFF would have been 72 on the 17th. Miss her.

Julie I think crowns should have a lifetime guarantee, not just the price but the misery… ;) That is a lot of exercising and cleaning. Well done!
    Kylia I’m not usually a fan of low- or fat-free, most make up the flavor with sugar. BUT I do like Tillamook’s reduced fat sourcream and Fage’s fat free Greek Yoghurt, it almost tastes like cream cheese to me ;) IMHO a little bit of real butter is better than any amount of margarine. Avoid it like the plague.
    Kelly “there really needs to be a voice or campaign out there telling people that frustration is a HUGE part of the parent/caregiver life. IT IS OKAY TO PUT CRYING BABIES IN THEIR CRIB, CLOSE THE DOOR, AND WALK AWAY!! Let them cry and pull yourself together.” True and compassionate.
    Carol, chocolate and nuts are two of my many weaknesses.
    Barbie I’ve harvested 3 small baby zucchini’s from the plant in a pot on our porch. It is so satisfying to prepare food that grew here rather than boughten!

Dithering about possible August trip to Skye Terrier Specialty in Colorado. Would be $$pendy. Might be better to see how finances stretch to our new mortgage payment, refinanced to pay off in 10 years, and even perhaps put off changing vehicles… it’s hard to be a grownup :laugh:

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    July: leaner/stronger/kinder than June.
    daily: sit with Joe: 18, weigh/wii: 17/0/0; steps>6701=6894, vits=15.75, log=18, CI<CO=16, CI<250<CO=16, Tumble=12, Shadow=15, mfp=17, outside=22, up hill=18, clean 10=7.
    wkly: Sun: Mon: Tue:LD=. Wed:TC=2 PW=1. Thurs: Fri:TC=3. Sat:PW=3. rX x4=3.
    wt=1/31:141.3 2/28:142.4 3/31:145.3 4/30:141.5 5/31:142.4 6/30:141.5 7/4: 140.7 7/11: 142.9 grr! 7/18: 141.8 7/25: 7/31:
    mnthly: board mtg=1, grant=, 21 plan=, waist=42.0
    bonus: AF=10 play= sew=
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW

If you notice, one of the pics is really close. I took that pic from upstairs, you can easily change the lightbulbs from there
  • kizanne2
    Options
    Well work started today and my grand nieces lawyer and social worker won't call her back. So a little stress eating but not much.

I had a bunch of training videos to watch that are the exact same as less than a year ago so I moved the laptop into the kitchen and 'watched' while food prepping lunch for the week. Might even double as a dinner or two.
    I made a wonderful squash casserole that has lots of veggies in it and tastes great with 8 servings. And I also made a beef veggie soup with generous servings of about 3 cups. The casserole is 300 and the soup is 382 in calories with lots of fiber and protein. I am trying to get not just veggies but a wide variety as the gut biome people say you need 20 to 30 different veggies a week to help build a good gut biome.

I got my test strips straightened out so tomorrow I'll test and see how my triglycerides are doing.

Didn't get the exercise I wanted in but did 5 mintues of HITT.
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,744 Member
    Options
    I’ve read and caught up but didn’t take notes.
    Tracey in Edmonton
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Did a body pump DVD then went for a walk. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Denise Austin Power Zone DVD.

Bowling this afternoon.

Made a loaf of sourdough bread. Now it’s rising and I figure while I’m playing mahjongg tonight, I’ll bake it (and run the dishwasher)

Julie – Denny’s here has senior meals. I guess you don’t have a Denny’s over there.

Allie – hope your neurologist appt. goes well.

Flea – hubba bubba!

Took my evening walk since I have mahjongg tonight. While playing I plan to run the dishwasher, bake a loaf of sourdough bread, and work on the second towel topper for the gal at the church when I go to count tomorrow. Update made the bread before the game, did run the dishwasher, but didn't crochet.

debbie – that bird story really warmed my heart

Sue WA – so glad your surgery went OK

It was nice to play mahjongg online tonight. Really good to reconnect with the gals. I just can’t justify driving that distance for such a short period of time. Finished two towel toppers for the gals at the church when I go to count tomorrow.

Time for shower and then bed.

Michele NC
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,610 Member
    Options
    Good evening!
    I didnt get an order in that I should have, but stuff happens. I am not stressing over it. I do have to work on invoices in the morning.
    Debbie Love the wire idea! Maybe I can get some tulips next spring.
    Thank you all for the support on cholesterol. My triglycerides are normal, HDL high. LDL high. Ratio is still optimal. Diet and exercise are my go to. We will see what doctor says, but I truly believe I have the right idea. Will suggest recheck in 3 months. I have been reading lots and really believe that healthy fats are good. Less junk/trash foods. More fruits and veggies. Tried a frozen cod tonight from Canada. It was really good and sustainably caught. Most of the fish at Kroger comes from China. I need to try going to whole foods I think at least for fish. If i can keep fats close to 30% of macros (and healthy) that is my goal.

Thank you again for all of your support!

Kylia in Ohio truly believing in her village of 50+ Amazing Women