WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2021

Options

Replies

• bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    skuehn48 wrote: »
    Had my cataract surgery this morning and all went well. I still have some double vision but that is expected and is very gradually resolving. Just resting today. Tomorrow I am allowed to get back to regular activities but no lifting, bending and not allowed to do water exercise this week. We have someone coming over to do horse and goat chores this week. My dog is confused because we are not following the usual routine.

Rebecca - Sounds like you are having a wonderful time with Athena.

Carol - Sorry for your difficulties with Instacart. Can you specify NO substitutes?

Everyone take care Sue in WA

Wishing you quick recovery!
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Did a body pump DVD then went for a walk. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Denise Austin Power Zone DVD.

Bowling this afternoon.

Made a loaf of sourdough bread. Now it’s rising and I figure while I’m playing mahjongg tonight, I’ll bake it (and run the dishwasher)

Julie – Denny’s here has senior meals. I guess you don’t have a Denny’s over there.

Allie – hope your neurologist appt. goes well.

Flea – hubba bubba!

Took my evening walk since I have mahjongg tonight. While playing I plan to run the dishwasher, bake a loaf of sourdough bread, and work on the second towel topper for the gal at the church when I go to count tomorrow. Update made the bread before the game, did run the dishwasher, but didn't crochet.

debbie – that bird story really warmed my heart

Sue WA – so glad your surgery went OK

It was nice to play mahjongg online tonight. Really good to reconnect with the gals. I just can’t justify driving that distance for such a short period of time. Finished two towel toppers for the gals at the church when I go to count tomorrow.

Time for shower and then bed.

Michele NC

No Denny's here!
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Hi Gals,

I kind of think of life in chapters, and it’s a change in chapters for me, my housemate Dylan who moved in on Halloween moved out this weekend. Dylan is a very nice 26 year old guy, who I worked with when I was the gardener at the children’s camp. When pandemic hit we both lost our jobs and then in October he got asked to move off the camp property (he was the caretaker, but there was a friend of a manager that needed a place to live so the friend got the job) Dylan moved into my guest room and it was a delight for both of us.

We have become great friends, love to cook together, debate politics, religion, relationships… just a great relationship. His girlfriend and a mutual friend of ours have stayed in a “pod” through the pandemic. His girlfriend’s apartment lease is up so they found an apartment in Sacramento (about 1 -1.5 hour drive from me) it is in a less expensive area. He works remote, and she will commute for a while and job hunt.

Curbing my eating has been hard, I cooked 2-3 nights a week and Dylan cooked 2-3 nights; a night of do your own thing, and then often he would bring in dinner or take me out once a week. I managed to not gain any pandemic weight but have never gotten down to where I want to. So this chapter change of going back to doing my own cooking all the time is a re-commitment to logging… This first day is hard, there are a lot of leftovers that need to be measured before chowing down! LOL There are some new favorites that I will be making and measuring more carefully, he has a bit of a heavy hand with the oil…

Having 3 close friends, my 2 god kids, nephew and his girlfriend, that are all under 32 years young are such a blessing, there is always new outlooks, new music, new slang….. I love it.

Smiles, Kim in Northern California

It sounds like a really nice housemate situation you had.
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I got 2.5 hours of exercising yesterday plus at least 40 min of cleaning but weight is up.

metabolism is WAY DOWN since menopause, and I can't increase exercise exponentially at present.

I seem to burn not much more than 1200 calories per day average.

which I don't manage to stay below...weight is up maybe. a solid kilo from a year ago. :/

hx3642o1t21y.png

That looks like maintaining to me!

When I have gained and lost weight over the past 35 years it's been anywhere from 10 kgs to 30 kgs.

I can gain 1 kg in a day of water weight if I do a longish bicycle ride.

M in Oz

It's been a very slow upward creep for a while. I was 56 k max about 5 years ago. today 63k so more than + 10 lbs. During a talk one day at a café with women of all different heights, small women like me and very tall dutch women we agreed that the tall-ies can gain 6k and one can hardly see it and it's very noticeable on the small-ies. Of course there are worse things in life, but since that is part of the main reason for this website it seems fair to talk about.

I'm 5'6" (167 cm) and maintaining for me is when my weight remains within a 5 kg range. I've been in the same 5 kg range for about 2 years now. I'm currently right in the middle of the range. I'd like to drop to the bottom of the range ... and then out of the range! :) But so far all I've done is to bob up and down in the range.

M in Oz

I'm 5'2", and have been above my "range" for 2 or 3 years now. My range was more like 53-56/57 kilos, usually around 54/55. Right now I'm 6 above the top of range. It's all relative. it's about our own comfort zones.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,894 Member
    Options
    I got 2.5 hours of exercising yesterday plus at least 40 min of cleaning but weight is up.

metabolism is WAY DOWN since menopause, and I can't increase exercise exponentially at present.

I seem to burn not much more than 1200 calories per day average.

which I don't manage to stay below...weight is up maybe. a solid kilo from a year ago. :/

hx3642o1t21y.png

That looks like maintaining to me!

When I have gained and lost weight over the past 35 years it's been anywhere from 10 kgs to 30 kgs.

I can gain 1 kg in a day of water weight if I do a longish bicycle ride.

M in Oz

It's been a very slow upward creep for a while. I was 56 k max about 5 years ago. today 63k so more than + 10 lbs. During a talk one day at a café with women of all different heights, small women like me and very tall dutch women we agreed that the tall-ies can gain 6k and one can hardly see it and it's very noticeable on the small-ies. Of course there are worse things in life, but since that is part of the main reason for this website it seems fair to talk about.

I'm 5'6" (167 cm) and maintaining for me is when my weight remains within a 5 kg range. I've been in the same 5 kg range for about 2 years now. I'm currently right in the middle of the range. I'd like to drop to the bottom of the range ... and then out of the range! :) But so far all I've done is to bob up and down in the range.

M in Oz

I'm 5'2", and have been above my "range" for 2 or 3 years now. My range was more like 53-56/57 kilos, usually around 54/55. Right now I'm 6 above the top of range. It's all relative. it's about our own comfort zones.

I'm not happy in my current range except that I am glad I haven't gone higher.

I'd like to find a lower range again ... and maybe that will happen soon. I've been exercising a bit more and cutting back on eating where I can.

M in Oz
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    procrastinating reading and answering.
    Exercise so far
    It's going go be hot today. I went out at about 7 for walk but taking my heart rate I was only at about 84HR whereas I had felt like I was walking at a decent rhythm. so I did 15 min on recumbent watching ted.com talks at above 115 HR.
    Going to library?
    I'm scheduled to go to the library today, but it's such a hike to get there. Not to GO to the library but it is a vast, nearly 200m long building, and with the pandemic switcheroos, one has to go into one side and then necessarily walk the 200m to the other side to get in to the part I'm going to. yesterday it took about 20-25 min to drive there and park door to parking, and about 25 min to go from scooter Parked rather close to get to books reserved. So about 45 min each way. Plus wearing masks, is not so comfortable for a long time. And other pandemic related stuff. Dissuasive. I reserved for 10 am today but am going to postpone.
    Glasses
    I really need reading glasses. I might postpone library and get new glasses. I've been putting it off for so long. I'm supposed to read a lot and it's hard to read with eyes needing glasses now!
    Cleaning
    home a bit messy, need to tidy
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    Good things done yesterday:
    got tooth thing straightened out
    some work at library, notes taken
    finished collective work
    took care of minimal paper work that needed to be done

Good things done today:
    got some exercise in before it gets hot

to work on
    -develop efficiency in writing/note taking - according to the 80/20 rule. "roughly 80% of consequences come from 20% of causes"
    -keep on with cleaning
    -track all
    -keep on paperwork, little by little
    -move a bit every 30-60 minutes
    -get glasses!

Grateful
    Some people's commitment to worker's rights stuff.
    Quiet home
    Some friends
    Summer lull
    Time to work on some things
    Some clarity of thought in some areas
    Able to avoid taking vehicle much

• bananasandoranges
    Options
    café musing
    went to café early this morning. usually it's nice. I choose it because it tends to have a good vibe. but this morning it looked a bit harsh like there were 2 weird guys at the bar where stools are. recently this guy who smelled majorly of alcohol when arriving for his midday beer (they don't serve alcohol before midday) has been there all the time. I never so him before. And this somewhat elderly guy rather commenting to the barista, half to himself. One reason I chose this café is that its a rare café where it feels comfortable to have a coffee at the bar as a woman alone. Not so much this morning. So a gulped down my espresso and left. So many people leave for several weeks around now. So maybe the marginal people are more noticeable. I may be avoiding the bar and sitting at tables for the next little while even if coffee and tea is double price at tables. (or rather half price if at stool bar).

right now : postpone library appointment, go to glasses place, 1h tidying, work on writing 20/80
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    😊
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    procrastinating! at present
    Well actually I did print sign and scan a document necessary to send now.
    writing the following to maybe help me get my boot in gear.

For now:
    30-60 min cleaning and tidying (and stashing mess)
    Go to glasses place!!!!
    Work on writing 20/80
    1 admin thing/call

among pressing/urgent admin/paper things :# reading it freaks me out
    -send bill
    -reregister housing thing
    -tax thing
    -other housing thing
    -pay ticket
    -call insurance
    -write thing for lawyer to check
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,894 Member
    Options
    Zwifting this evening!

That's cycling inside on our bicycles on trainers using an online program called Zwift. The image below is an image from the program. It's quite well done.

41 minutes!

ix4rjzxnrtje.png

I've also walked about 1.8 km and climbed 26 flights of 20 stairs (plus landings and going down all those stairs too).

Machka in Oz

• kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,610 Member
    Options
    Good morning!
    Julie Coffee and tea more at tables? Wow! The library at least would get steps in😉. Seeing clearly is a must for me. So glasses are high on my priority list. I too am in procrastination mode. I "should" be doing paperwork. Am happy household paperwork is done.
    Katla Happy Birthday!
    Sue prayers for a quick recovery!

I did prep breakfast, lunch, and snacks last night while cleaning the kitchen after dinner. So that is a positive! Need to figure out the exercise thing.....I know....just do it!
    Tonight is our standing date with friends, but not sure if that is happening or not. I am not sure what is going on there. Apparently, she found out her cholesterol is high too. This has caused her to shut out others. Her husband thought I was annoyed with him because I told him to shut the door last week at our house. He was standing in the doorway letting out the ac! Steve did talk with both of them yesterday when they stopped by the shop, but neither popped in to say hi to me. Apparently. I have the "mom" tone perfected. I will reach out to her today. Just strange.....
    I am grateful for my friendships.
    I am grateful to have a job that I love (most of the time)
    I am grateful that I am able to move my body with few restrictions.
    I am grateful to have all of you in my back pocket.
    Time to get a few things done!

Kylia in Ohio trying to smooth out the bumpy road called life
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    cleaning check! way better always uplifting
    glasses place. don't know why I'm going dragging my feet. I guess it's expensive though covered by insurance and a big thing (style and vision). choice to make. but right seeing is key!
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    printed out my health pass, now required to go to museums starting tomorrow, and for restaurants !!! starting aug 1: proof of complete vaccination, or proof of negative covid test in past 3 days, or proof of having had covid in past 6 months. sudden announcement, which many people are radically against. I've been double jabbed since June so I'm not too focused on the questions, but I have a few people I know who were planning to wait a bit longer- till fall- for the jab. Millions rushed for the jab appointments once the announcement was made. No obligatory jabs but you can't do much without them. hospital workers have to be jabbed and I think some other public workers too, or else they can be fired. some are radically against this. (I presume there are exceptions for those who have real health issues not allowing them to get these jabs.)
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    kymarai wrote: »
    Good morning!
    Julie Coffee and tea more at tables? Wow! The library at least would get steps in😉. Seeing clearly is a must for me. So glasses are high on my priority list. I too am in procrastination mode. I "should" be doing paperwork. Am happy household paperwork is done.
    Katla Happy Birthday!
    Sue prayers for a quick recovery!

I did prep breakfast, lunch, and snacks last night while cleaning the kitchen after dinner. So that is a positive! Need to figure out the exercise thing.....I know....just do it!
    Tonight is our standing date with friends, but not sure if that is happening or not. I am not sure what is going on there. Apparently, she found out her cholesterol is high too. This has caused her to shut out others. Her husband thought I was annoyed with him because I told him to shut the door last week at our house. He was standing in the doorway letting out the ac! Steve did talk with both of them yesterday when they stopped by the shop, but neither popped in to say hi to me. Apparently. I have the "mom" tone perfected. I will reach out to her today. Just strange.....
    I am grateful for my friendships.
    I am grateful to have a job that I love (most of the time)
    I am grateful that I am able to move my body with few restrictions.
    I am grateful to have all of you in my back pocket.
    Time to get a few things done!

Kylia in Ohio trying to smooth out the bumpy road called life

It's 2.30 for espresso at table and 4.30 for a fancy brand tea. and about half at the bar. 1.20 and 2.60 or so. that's super cheap for this brand of tea. (the marriage)
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,708 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Very jagged sleep last night..didnt sleep well.. was to have a phone call at 7 pm and totally forgot about it..Ugh
    Supposed to go to Riverfront park tonight for first concert of the summer..but its supposed to be close to 90 and I cant breath in that kind of heat.. so we shall see....
    Never did get to Marshalls yesterday so will go this morning.and then go pick up Homer..
    Have to take Dan to the bank before work ,he has a PO box and needs at least 2 forms with the physical address to be able to get his license renewed.. my friend Trudy found a couple of cars online in his price range, i sent him the information.. we shall see.. He is like an Ostrich buries his head in the sand so he doesnt have to deal with life.. well after Sunday he has to find rides back and forth to work..
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Katla

birthday-dancer.gif

Karen in Virginia
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Kim ~ I admire your attitude about changing chapters in life. I am at the age (almost 73) when I think about what will inevitably change in my life in the next years.

Rebecca ~ Love the Athena pictures and so glad you had bonding time with that lovely little girl.

My grandson and granddaughter are coming Friday to spend the night. They are 11 and almost 10 and have only spent the night a couple of times when necessary. This time will be so Mom can have a night out with friends before her school starts again on Monday and Dad will be working. Kind of worried about how to keep them from being totally bored with us old people. They are getting their first phones this week so that might help.

Carol in GA
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    🪴🪴🪴