July 2021 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,440 Member
    Options
    @Avidkeo I have been using these wireless earbuds for several months and they work well and don't move at all in my ears.
    https://www.amazon.com/Skullcandy-Sesh-True-Wireless-Earbud/dp/B0857JLRFJ/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=skullcandy+sesh+evo+true+wireless+earbuds&qid=1626816014&sprefix=Skullcandy+se&sr=8-1

I got them on sale, but they are still pretty inexpensive.
  • sweetdaisy13
    sweetdaisy13 Posts: 357 Member
    Options

Speaking of shoes, after I had almost a week off of running when I was sick recently, I wore my cheap Kalenji trail shoes, and noticed my quad/hip niggles weren't there after running. So I kept wearing them, and haven't worn the Brooks since, as an experiment. I'm really hoping the Brooks aren't part of my problem. Hopefully the time off just allowed things to heal better.

My trail shoes are also Kalenji shoes from Decathlon. The first pair lasted 2 years and the grip hasn't worn at all.

They cost me £65.00 (GBP) and are by far the best trail shoes ever. No issues with them and they are very comfortable and brilliant for the longer distance runs.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,969 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Glad you had a good run @Tramboman !

Hope you get your phone fixed soon @Zoomie402 ! Those things are so frustrating. Nice weekend mileage!

@abowersgirl Glad you are still here and still running and pushing forward.

@julieannegannon I suggest going to a running shoe store and have them fit you and watch how you run. Then, they can suggest what you need for your particular body. It really does make a difference.

@Avidkeo You did great going that long. You'll be back to running all you want soon. I love my Trekz Titanium headphones.

@sweetdaisy13 Love how you use your time so wisely.

@skippygirlsmom You're statement that "I take blood pressure meds so I have to take them after I run or I have pee every 5 minutes, I’m worse than a male dog needing to mark my territory" made me laugh. Mom tells everyone that I have to stop at every light pole when we travel. LOL

@polskagirl01 Glad your niggles are gone. Hope it was the rest and not the shoes.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Thanks for all the earphone suggestions.

I do have a pair of aftershokz and love them too, I am nervous about using them in very wet conditions. But I gather they are pretty good and would hold up? I'm just sad because I bought the BackBeat fits on @PastorVincent suggestion and absolutely love them. I don't know kind of a tie to him? Hits you when you least expect it I guess

Didn't he also recommend the Trekz? Or maybe I'm remembering it wrong, like maybe he fried a pair (or 2? like within a short time frame?) of Trekz by accidentally putting them through the wash. I might be making all of this up. Does anyone remember? I've worried about them handling moisture too, with lots of sweat, rain, pouring water on my head during races, etc. I definitely wait to plug them in to charge if they're wet, but otherwise haven't given them any special treatment. But also technology has surely gotten better over the past few years, so maybe some of the newer recommendations will be better for you.

@sweetdaisy13 I only got these because of the sale price (approx. 28GBP or 38USD, how can you say no to that?). They are the men's version, but seem the same fit-wise. I've run a marathon in Kalenji road shoes, and the only [minor] complaint I have is that the balls of my feet feel like they're taking more of a beating in them (both road and trail version).
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options

Speaking of shoes, after I had almost a week off of running when I was sick recently, I wore my cheap Kalenji trail shoes, and noticed my quad/hip niggles weren't there after running. So I kept wearing them, and haven't worn the Brooks since, as an experiment. I'm really hoping the Brooks aren't part of my problem. Hopefully the time off just allowed things to heal better.

My trail shoes are also Kalenji shoes from Decathlon. The first pair lasted 2 years and the grip hasn't worn at all.

They cost me £65.00 (GBP) and are by far the best trail shoes ever. No issues with them and they are very comfortable and brilliant for the longer distance runs.

I haven’t tried Decathlon shoes but my running jacket from them is my favorite thing ever. They aren’t a brand which is commonly seen in America but their stuff is great!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    7/1 – 3.02
    7/2 – 5.02
    7/2 - .50 cool down
    7/3 – 4.02
    7/4 – 1.05 with pups
    7/4 – 1.44 hiking down and back up from swim basin
    7/5 – 4.67 trails
    7/5 - .41 cool down to get to 5 miles
    7/6 – rest day walked the dogs
    7/7 – 4.03
    7/8 – 4.04
    7/9 – 5.19 miles of cross training – bike (not counted in miles)
    7/10 – 13.11 July Half Marathon Monthly challenge
    7/11 – rest day
    7/12 – 3.02
    7/13 – 6.1 miles of biking (not counted in miles)
    7/14 – 4.05
    7/16 – 5.01
    7/17 – 3.02
    7/19 – 7.01
    7/20 – 3.11
    7/21 – walked the dogs – may bike later

66.53 of 65 miles

@quilteryoyo that’s too funny. I always say I never met a bathroom I didn’t want to visit. I swear it runs in my family, everyone seems to have to go all the time.

Yesterday was big garbage day in my neighborhood so they have this big claw thing that picks up the stuff in front of your house. I had a few bags of things out and they were picking it up, the claw swung and hit my mailbox breaking it off near the bottom (where the wood post in the ground stopped). The poor guys I walked out and I guess they expected me to lose my crap but I was just laughed and they said someone would be here today to fix it, sure enough they were here this morning already, but one problem, the person who installed it actually put the black post of the mailbox in the concrete along with the wooden post, they can’t get the black out of the ground to install a new one ha ha. The poor guy, I live in Alabama and he’s a sweet old country boy with overalls cut off into shorts and his southern drawl was so thick I could hardly understand him. He said they guys yesterday were so happy I didn’t yell, I said it’s a mailbox, he said people lose their minds screaming and hollering and threaten them, I said over a mailbox!!! Awful.

@martaindale we have a few trails that are less traveled that we run and sometimes I run them and the whole time I’m going “please no snakes, please no snakes”.

@ContraryMaryMary that’s the nice thing about our 2 local Fleet Feet is that both try to employ runners only, trail, road, short, ultra, tri, makes a big difference, plus they have training time like once a week or every other week where they learn about new shoes coming in or they have shoe reps come in and talk to them, it’s great.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,969 Member
    Options
    @martaindale That trail doesn't sound safe. Glad you are going to delay running on it again until it is mowed.

@polskagirl01 I was thinking that @PastorVincent suggested the Trekz too and I do remember him washing something twice in a short period. Don't recall if it was his headphones or not though.

Glad it was a little cooler for you @Scott6255 and congrats on reaching 100 miles already this month!

@skippygirlsmom Glad you were nice to the poor garbage guys. Some people can't see that it's a mailbox and accidents happen. I'm sure they were shaking in their boots before you spoke.

Nice running @Zoomie402 . Yeah for getting up early. I'm not sure I could run if I had 12 hour shifts. I can barely find the time if I work 8.