Coronavirus prep

Replies

• lokihen
    lokihen Posts: 382 Member
    My primary concern is whether vaccinated people (of which I am one) who subsequently get Covid will be at risk for long Covid. That seems to be unlikely from what I've read so far but we obviously need more data. I'm sure that'll be forthcoming in future months.

I will be very interested when more data is available. I have heard that around 5% of middle-aged people end up with long covid regardless of symptoms from the initial infection. I don't recall vaccination status being mentioned.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    edited July 2021
    Is positivity rate combined with lots of testing or people only testing with symptoms?

Positivity rate here is up, but still 1.8% (our high was around 25%). I am much more worried about the inadequate vax rate (which is extremely frustrating for people eligible, who could all get it easily) than the mask situation.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    Where I live, the infection rate is a level unseen since March 2020. It peaked in March 2020, and presently is not quite that high, but higher than all the months since then. It kind of amazes me that with 50% of adults vaccinated now, we are nonetheless matching the rate of spread then. Our positive test rate is presently 8%, which seems not encouraging but maybe reflects less precautionary testing among the vaccinated? (My college age kids had a practice of testing before and after socializing with a different living group or traveling together to a roommate's home, so they tested a lot pre-vaccine and never now.) Daily new case counts are going up with the delta variant, of course, but remain at 1/10th what they were at the peak.

It feels like the delta variant is putting DH and I back where we were several months ago with ongoing conversations about what precautions make sense for a changing environment. He went to his first indoor work event with 100 other people last night. And DD#3 wants to bring several friends to our tiny little lake cabana (with one tiny bathroom) at the end of the month. These are things we're really looking forward to, but the breakout infections among the vaccinated are casting a new light on things.

I'm with @kimny72 that the last thing I want to do is become a spreader and infect someone too young to get the vaccine. Or to give the virus another opportunity to mutate.
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    Where I live, the infection rate is a level unseen since March 2020. It peaked in March 2020, and presently is not quite that high, but higher than all the months since then. It kind of amazes me that with 50% of adults vaccinated now, we are nonetheless matching the rate of spread then. Our positive test rate is presently 8%, which seems not encouraging but maybe reflects less precautionary testing among the vaccinated? (My college age kids had a practice of testing before and after socializing with a different living group or traveling together to a roommate's home, so they tested a lot pre-vaccine and never now.) Daily new case counts are going up with the delta variant, of course, but remain at 1/10th what they were at the peak.

It feels like the delta variant is putting DH and I back where we were several months ago with ongoing conversations about what precautions make sense for a changing environment. He went to his first indoor work event with 100 other people last night. And DD#3 wants to bring several friends to our tiny little lake cabana (with one tiny bathroom) at the end of the month. These are things we're really looking forward to, but the breakout infections among the vaccinated are casting a new light on things.

I'm with @kimny72 that the last thing I want to do is become a spreader and infect someone too young to get the vaccine. Or to give the virus another opportunity to mutate.

I wonder about the positivity rate too. For several months I tested weekly, even after I was vaxx'd, because my mother lives in a congregate setting. When they removed that restriction that would be a whole lot of vaxx'd people who stopped getting tested every week (staff and visitors) - so if they are now testing less people who are mostly symptomatic - I guess that would put the positivity rate up even if cases are low?
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,048 Member
    edited July 2021
    @33gail33 and @lemurcat2 Yeah, I was wondering the exact same thing as you two-- Is positivity up due to vaccinated people testing less because they no longer need a negative as a precaution to do something. Hence, many more people testing actually have symptoms and need to eliminate covid as a cause.

When I got a stubborn cold after reopening (2 months after 2nd vaccine), I had a covid test not because I thought it was likely I had it but to know if I needed to quarantine. No reason to test otherwise.

ETA: My county's positive high was 40% in March 2020 when tests were rationed to people with symptoms. It has risen over 20% 3 times since then corresponding with waves in May 2020, July 2020 and Jan 2021-- all before widespread vaccine availability
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    I've seen parts of this post shared in memes mistakenly attributed wholly to Macron, but the sentiment of frustration is shared by many of us that have done our part and are still suffering the burden from the poor choices of those around us. Let those who continue to choose to not be vaccinated suffer the restrictions and burden rather than the rest of us.

https://facebook.com/selvaggia.lucarelli/posts/10158195351935983
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited July 2021
    Accelerating the vaccination of young people is probably the best and fastest way to shut down COVID (herd immunity) without having to use a big stick.

If we are going to raise insurance rates for unvaccinated, it should be focused on people >50 yrs old, since they drive hospitalizations. Most people were like me, their COVID case cost a test to verify and one Dr visit (mine was virtual)