Coronavirus prep

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    Got a flu shot at Walgreen's yesterday. Had to wait about 10 min, most of which was spent filling out the paperwork, and dealing with the insurance look-up anyway. While I was waiting a 30ish woman came and asked if she could get the super-vaccine, and they explained that it was only for seniors or those with pre-existing conditions. She asked what those conditions were and then went away, saying she might come back for the regular one later that day.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    I still need to get mine; I've tried my usual pharmacy and they've been out of it every time, don't know when they'll be getting any. :/ I may have to bite the bullet and call my PCP to see if I have better luck.
    Last year, I had 4 shots, pneumonia, shingles and flu(one of those I needed a booster)and 1 of them made me feel yuck for 2-3 days but have no idea which it was. :( I'd never had any reaction before except the sore arm.
  • BecomingMoreAwesome
    BecomingMoreAwesome Posts: 148 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    I still need to get mine; I've tried my usual pharmacy and they've been out of it every time, don't know when they'll be getting any. :/ I may have to bite the bullet and call my PCP to see if I have better luck.
    Last year, I had 4 shots, pneumonia, shingles and flu(one of those I needed a booster)and 1 of them made me feel yuck for 2-3 days but have no idea which it was. :( I'd never had any reaction before except the sore arm.

The company that owns Safeway and Jewel/Osco (I think it’s the Vons company?) lets you schedule your shot online. It’s free with insurance and they give you a coupon for 20% off groceries afterwards.

We all got ours early this year. Thank goodness for the Shot Blocker. My youngest kid still flips out about shots, but is convinced that the Shot Blocker makes it not hurt, so only tries to hide for a minute before sitting still.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited October 2020
    News blip said that 'Rona is triggering a reactivation of EBV. They can run tests. The reactivation is connected to inflammatory compounds only adding to C-19's symptoms. Sending it back into dormancy is not so easy.

In the beginning, it seemed to me like combination of rheumatic fever, SARS, EBV and MERS all rolled into one big sheetstorm.

• Diatonic12
    edited October 2020
    @MikePfirrman Mike Oooo Mike. I listen to this radio program out of NYC every morning because I like to keep my finger on the pulse in NYC. ;) The announcer said their friend just encountered exactly what you're talking about on a flight to Florida. Everyone took their masks down on the plane or let them ride below their noses. They were eating snacks. No one said a word because tamping down chaos and/or snakes on a plane is the goal. Safety first. I don't want to fly. I don't have to because everyone is coming here.

P.S. Thanks for keeping my secrets. I got a tad carried away and blathered everything out there. 'Rona works on my head even when I'm not thinking about it. There's no time to wait. Say what you've got to say today. Stay fierce and unstoppable, Mike.

You see, you get a feel for these things and I told him everything about myself a long time ago. I just knew I could trust him and I was right. It's not bragging if it's true. o:)

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    News blip said that 'Rona is triggering a reactivation of EBV. They can run tests. The reactivation is connected to inflammatory compounds only adding to C-19's symptoms. Sending it back into dormancy is not so easy.

In the beginning, it seemed to me like combination of rheumatic fever, SARS, EBV and MERS all rolled into one big sheetstorm.

Ugh. That's the last thing we need, right? :grimace: We talked about this before, but I had mono when I was 19, and though I've been doing pretty well for awhile, I still have more fatigue than I should. Of course that could be from the Sjogren's, too, but I could definitely do without that monster waking up again!
  • Diatonic12
    @baconslave I remember and there's a thread for that. I was in high school and someone had it. A bunch of kids went over to their house to cheer them up when their mother wasn't home. Talk about a boatload of regret.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,048 Member
    edited October 2020
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    My OH just heard a news story that convinced him we are in for another bad period and wanted me to stock up on the essentials, "TP, paper towels, Fritos..."

:D This gave me a laugh. Thanks. About fritos... roof/ceiling problems necessitated lakehouse renovation last summer, and the place is a time capsule. Spent a lot of time there when kids were little. Once they hit teenage years not so much. Found a nuclear winter stash of fritos. Those were the days, when I could count on frito pie to be an emergency crowd pleaser. Thanks for the memory.
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,829 Member

Given that 95% of all people get mono in their life with 50% happening before the age of 5, a reactivation of EBV could impact lots os people. I wonder if there is any correlation between likelihood of reactivation and severity of original infection.

• ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    edited October 2020

Wouldn't surprise me. Messing with the T Cells and putting immunity out of balance. A lot of the "long haulers" symptoms remind me of chronic fatigue and Fibromyalgia. Many believe that EBV is a possible contributor to Fibromyalgia.

Made a B-Day dinner for our dear friends, who flew to visit their kids in Dallas a couple of weeks ago. They are in their late 70s and take every precaution they can.

Interesting story they shared (we had been waiting to see them after they self quarantined) about the flight home. Said they flew AA and while snacks aren't served on planes, people are allowed to bring their own snacks, so the anti-maskers brought snacks and sat slowly eating them the entire flight, which lasted over an hour. The woman that's a friend had to sit next to one of these morons. She said he bought popcorn and ate it one kernel at a time, very slowly, the entire flight.

This is the type of person that wouldn't likely even eat a snack normally, just doing it to be a pain in the rear for everyone on the flight and a real danger.

They needed a snack for a 1 hr. flight?? That shouldn't even be allowed. Just wow....

Locally, they kicked a couple 9-10 yo boys off a school bus until the first of the year because 1 boy had mints and shared them with the other boy; both of them dropped their mask to put the mints in their mouths, then put them back on. The parents put up such a fuss that the school system quickly returned their right to ride the bus, which I'm so glad they did(I mean come on, they're kids!). And they did change the rules to allow for kids' normal mistakes, 1st offense a warning, 2nd offense off the bus for 3 days, 3rd offense no bus for the rest of the season.

And yet, an adult(I assume chronologically an adult though doesn't sound like they'd reached adult maturity yet)on a flight can manage to keep their mask off for an hour while munching away on popcorn. SMH

I would think the woman had every right to complain, insist on mask compliance or get her seat changed. Something! For her own protection. :(