Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Does your doctor comment on your weight?

Replies

• BuiltLikeAPeep
    BuiltLikeAPeep Posts: 94 Member
    tantan120 wrote: »
    Yes my doctor says everything is related to weight. Broke my ankle? Cos I'm fat. Have a cold? Cos I'm fat. One even said to me years ago "it's a shame you've let yourself get so fat, because you're a very pretty girl and I'm sure if you weren't so big you'd have found a husband by now". It was so offensive on so many levels. I just changed practices but I wish I'd have complained

I feel your pain. I had a dr. that tried to tell me that I didn't have a kidney infection- I pulled a muscle in my back because I'm fat. 2 months later, I'm in the er with a kidney on the verge of rupturing. Needless to say, shes not my dr anymore.
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Has your doc ever suggested you lose weight? If so, were you offended?

I asked my doc if she ever suggested people lose weight, eat better, exercise more, etc. She said that her answer would be mostly "No." When I asked her why she explained that being a doctor is a business and if she would critique each patients weight, she is sure she would lose patients, especially the easily offended ones. She also said if the patient asks her opinion about their weight, should would gladly help them with a diet/exercise plan.

The first and last time a doctor commented on my weight was when I was in elementary school, grade 6 I believe. Well he told my mom I gained too much weight for my age while I was in the same room-I wasn’t offended.
  • karenwhitlock83
    karenwhitlock83 Posts: 3 Member
    firef1y72 wrote: »
    Yes. Not in a telling me off way but in a "this is going to affect you and probably soon" sort of way. But I'm the UK with the NHS, she doesn't care about losing my business because healthcare isn't for profit. It's part of her job to keep me well to warn me about the things I can control to manage my health.

I think my GP may have mentioned it in passing, but he genuinely seemed shocked at just how much I weighed (and had put on) when I went to ask for help losing weight at 290lb. Mind he was about as helpful as a chocolate teapot, telling me the only way I'd lose weight was surgery. I refused to go back and see him for a long time, but had to take one of my children to see him and all he talked about was how did I manage to lose weight and how I'd "bucked the odds".

• an0393na
    an0393na Posts: 840 Member
    Yes and she needs to loose it more than me so irritated me a little but then again.. I know I need to loose more so who cares
  • karenwhitlock83
    karenwhitlock83 Posts: 3 Member
    My doctor ask me every time about my diet and before I lost weight she always suggests that I need to loose weight I don't have a problems with it she wants me to be healthy
  • Kindhearts30
    Kindhearts30 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Yep but she was super proud that I lost 20 pounds..... But now I pretty much gained it back taking a REALLY BAD probiotic
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,978 Member
    Yep but she was super proud that I lost 20 pounds..... But now I pretty much gained it back taking a REALLY BAD probiotic

I'm a bit lost on the connection between your two statements

are you saying taking a bad probiotic (what was bad about it?) caused you to re gain 20lb???

How so??
  • EyeOTS
    EyeOTS Posts: 362 Member
    When I was young I remember a lot of doctors blaming all kinds of little things on weight. My current doctor was so careful about the subject that I wonder if she had training on it. I really appreciated her approach
  • CurvyEmmy
    CurvyEmmy Posts: 225 Member
    I gained 80 pounds in a year and a half so it was hard to ignore, but I’m so thankful my doctor didn’t call me “obese”. That word is very triggering and carries a lot of stigma. I am over 240 pounds now so I know that I am overweight at this point but “obese”
    is a word that still feels very, very hard for me to accept and I definitely don’t identify myself with that label.

My previous doctor said I was “overweight” back when I was only 160 pounds which is a totally average weight for a 5’5” woman (most of my friends are in the 170s of 180s) and doesn’t seem big to me at all… I had an average fitness level and wasn’t too out of shape, so being labeled “overweight” was a big shock to me and just felt really, really unfair. I deserve better than being called “overweight” in a way that’s so insensitive to my feelings about it. Needless to say I changed doctors after that!

Everyone knows the BMI system is crap because it doesn’t account for muscle mass. A muscular woman could have a high BMI due to the muscle weight, but still have very low body fat, and BMI will classify her as “obese”. So yes, you can be “obese” according to BMI and be perfectly healthy. We need to be a lot more careful with words like “obese” because it can really hurt a person’s self-esteem and body image!

To really evaluate someone’s health you need to look at way more than just weight alone. But doctors are lazy and they throw around these very unfair labels of “overweight” and “obese” based on height/weight alone. Women are constantly judged and labeled based on a number on a scale that doesn’t tell you the whole story. It’s so unfair and really pisses me off!!
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,585 Member
    Old thread and I'm not sure I already answered but I had a doctor tell me he wanted to see me at 160 when I'd weighed in at 225 (I'm 5'2") and no, I wasn't offended. He was stating the obvious...that I needed to lose weight and he wasn't rude about it.

So I lost the weight. :) Changed doctors tho because he I was really turned off by his greased up hair. It was like he thought he was living in the 50s. :) Plus I'm just more comfortable with a female doctor.
  • CurvyEmmy
    CurvyEmmy Posts: 225 Member
    Wow. Everyone is judging my body without having seen it - no clue how muscular I am or what my body fat percentage is. Weight is just one number and does not tell you the whole story. There are plenty of “overweight” (according to BMI) people who have excellent health and fitness, active lifestyle with high muscle mass and low fat. There are also plenty of skinny people with terrible fitness, sedentary lifestyle and little muscle mass. BMI only tells you height and weight. That’s it. That is not enough to evaluate health!

I’m sorry but what BMI defines as “overweight” is so unfair. 160 is a totally normal weight for a REAL woman, not the unrealistic skeleton-thin models that society tells us we need to look like. I am a real woman with curves and an average body type and that does not make me unhealthy and I don’t deserve to be body shamed because I don’t meet some unrealistic number that hardly any real women can meet. All the women I know are in the 160s or higher and guess what? They are fit, relatively active, and they eat healthy. Yes I compare myself to them because they’re healthy normal women. And yes I am AMERICAN and I live a normal American lifestyle. I don’t deserve to be called “morbidly obese”! I am not eating more than anybody else and I’m not any less active than average. It’s totally unfair to compare me to some other country where people are probably starving. If 65% of people are “overweight” and only 35% are “normal” that just shows you how BMI is a broken system. “Normal” should be the range where most people are at, not a small minority of people.

Genetics also plays a huge role - some women are naturally larger even if they do the same diet and same exercise as skinny girls. That is just their natural size and it doesn’t make them unhealthy. I am apple shape so I naturally have a large waistline. That is my body’s NATURAL shape. It doesn’t make me unhealthy.

I’m sorry but I’m feeling a lot of judgement here and it’s making me feel pissed.