Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Does your doctor comment on your weight?

Replies

• CurvyEmmy
    CurvyEmmy Posts: 225 Member
    Size is not an identity (or, well I suppose some plus sized/health at every size influencers have made it one, but that's not a good thing)

Actually, plus size influencers have been a huge encouragement to me and so good for my mental health. Plus size women have been discriminated against for so long. Women are constantly pressured to look like impossible Photoshopped supermodels who are so skinny it’s unhealthy. No wonder so many girls have body image issues and low self esteem and depression. Even if they eat healthy and live an active lifestyle and are physically fit, they still get labeled “unhealthy” if they have a naturally bigger body size. Yes, I said naturally bigger. Some women eat super healthy and exercise like crazy and have great fitness and they are STILL plus size. Because it’s genetic. And that CAN’T be changed.

I’m not saying that every overweight person is healthy. I know I need to lose weight. But you CAN be overweight by BMI and still be healthy if you have muscle mass and an active lifestyle and good diet. You can also be skinny and very unhealthy if you don’t live a good lifestyle. Healthy doesn’t equal skinny but people think it does because society constantly pushes skinny as the standard and naturally bigger women feel like they can never attain it. Plus size women don’t get equal representation in the media and their bodies are not normalized like skinny people. I am glad we have plus size influencers pushing back against that!!
    Identity is who you are. Inside. Not what you LOOK LIKE, or how heavy you are.

Exactly, and that’s why I don’t identify as “morbidly obese”. I know my body and I know my fitness level and I know that “morbidly obese” doesn’t fit who I am on the inside.

Yes, I’m overweight and I admit that and that’s why I’m here. I am overweight. But I am also a relatively healthy and relatively average woman. ”Morbidly obese” is an awful term and makes it sound like I’m freaking 400 pounds. That’s not me. My weight has actually been pretty average my whole life and I only gained weight recently because of the pandemic. I am chubby but I don’t think anybody would look at me and say “she’s morbidly obese”!
  • EyeOTS
    EyeOTS Posts: 362 Member
    It's weird that people accept that the BMI is terrible and inacurrate but also seem to be defending it's use. Being over weight CAN be a major health issue. But since it's that big of a deal, shouldn't we want accurate measurments and guidelines?
  • CurvyEmmy
    Nobody (barring obvious outliers like people with dwarfism or born with missing limbs) has a 'natural shape' that is far out of healthy BMI range

I’ve been outside of the “healthy” BMI range my whole life DESPITE a relatively healthy lifestyle. I know lots of women in the same boat. Some people are just naturally heavier!

• CurvyEmmy
    edited July 2021
    Oh, and as icing on the cake? That community tends to viciously turn on anyone who is trying to lose weight, even if it's for a direct health benefit (there's a whole thing with a youtuber named glitterandlasers or something similar). BIG TOXIC hiding under a thin shell of 'positivity'. It's killing people.

What this poster is parroting?

Right out of the 'I watch these videos a lot and need to believe this crap' playbook.

No, I do not oppose weight loss. I oppose the idea that you need to be a certain weight to be attractive or healthy. Weight loss CAN help you get healthier depending on your situation, but there are so many factors that play into a person’s health - it’s not determined by just one number on a scale.

Body positivity isn’t toxic. Decades of society telling young girls that they’re fat and ugly if they’re not a size 0 - that’s what’s toxic. So many girls have gotten body dismorphia and anorexia from those toxic messages.

I’ve been plus size my whole life and despite being only slight overweight for most of my life, I felt SO insecure about my body - I felt like a whale and felt like no boy would ever look at me. I didn’t have the confidence to wear clothes that flattered my figure. I felt invisible and depressed.

Plus size YouTubers have helped me to unlearn that toxicity and see that I’m beautiful and sexy just the way I am and I can dress to show off my assets that super skinny girls don’t have :) Despite being at ny heaviest weight yet, I feel SO much better about myself now and I’m more confident than I was when I was skinnier.

I’m not opposed to weight loss - I WANT to lose weight so I can get in shape and be able to walk further and climb stairs better and do more things without getting out of breath. But I no longer believe I need to lose weight to be sexy. I’m letting go of that toxic mindset. I’m learning to love and flaunt my natural body shape - hence the “curvy” in my username :)
  • CurvyEmmy
    That is not self-love. That's enabling people to self-destruct and self-harm and saying it's LOVE.

My God, what an awful take. I’ve been told I’m fat my whole life and it left me feeling totally insecure and depressed. Plus size girls have it SO hard in our society. When I discovered body positivity and started to finally feel like I’m OK the way I am, I felt a massive relief.

No, it is NOT gonna stop me from living a healthy lifestyle. I am still trying to lose (a realistic amount of) weight, eat healthy, and be more active. The only thing body positivity has changed for me, is it’s helped me to love my body and it’s given me confidence to feel beautiful and sexy just the way I am. That is really healthy and desperately needed for a lot of plus size girls out there.