60 yrs and up

Replies

• richum1960
    richum1960 Posts: 43 Member
    Checking in. Weight is on a downward trend. Been walking more - eating less - it's like magic. 😁

Yay Steve! I gotta remember the eating less part! 🤣

Heard that, Karl! I like to eat when I'm happy. When I'm sad. When I'm bored. 😁

I can name that tune!
  • trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 251 Member
    richum1960 wrote: »
    Checking in...been busy remodeling houses so I have been walking less because I am very active now. Weight is actually a little lower than I would like it to be so been snacking more to compensate. Tracking keep me in line.

Sounds like an awesome problem to have!!! Snack away, have one for me🥨🍧🥜
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,255 Member
    Checking in not lost any but static so that's a plus, have a great day everyone.
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,255 Member
    trekkie123 wrote: »
    Checking in...been busy remodeling houses so I have been walking less because I am very active now. Weight is actually a little lower than I would like it to be so been snacking more to compensate. Tracking keep me in line.

Since I have retired, I am a lot more active. I just got through re-modeling mom's small cottage so I could move into it so I could start re-modeling pre-retirement house and sell. Everyday I am moving stuff, cleaning stuff, fixing stuff, etc. The activity was so off the wall, I turned off my notice for cardio exercise but the burns are huge. My goal was to be 180lbs with street clothes on. I am 176 lbs with street clothes at this time. I actually am tracking now to make sure I eat enough. Crazy right?

Well done it's amazing how busy we are once retired.
  • trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 251 Member
    trekkie123 wrote: »

Since I have retired, I am a lot more active. I just got through re-modeling mom's small cottage so I could move into it so I could start re-modeling pre-retirement house and sell. Everyday I am moving stuff, cleaning stuff, fixing stuff, etc. The activity was so off the wall, I turned off my notice for cardio exercise but the burns are huge. My goal was to be 180lbs with street clothes on. I am 176 lbs with street clothes at this time. I actually am tracking now to make sure I eat enough. Crazy right?

Crazy Awesome 👏🏻
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,289 Member
    edited August 2021
    Any other Apple Watch users here?
    Mine has been alerting me about low heart rate (below 50) while sleeping.
    Dr Google says this can be normal? But…. It’s not normal for me. And it never used to happen. I’ve worn an Apple Watch four years and this is definitely new. It began in May with just a few. Now it’s heading towards five to ten alerts most nights.

Yes, I called sleep medicine. It’s not my CPAP. And so the GP has been alerted.

I’m just wondering if this is a thing for older people who are getting in shape?

Maybe I should ask on the fitness forum?

Editing to add it alerts when HR drops below 50 for more than 10 minutes. So if I get 13 alerts…. Like last night…. That’s more than two hours with a HR below 50.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,031 Member
    edited August 2021
    Dr Google says this can be normal? But…. It’s not normal for me. And it never used to happen. I’ve worn an Apple Watch four years and this is definitely new. It began in May with just a few. Now it’s heading towards five to ten alerts most nights.

I’m just wondering if this is a thing for older people who are getting in shape?

Editing to add it alerts when HR drops below 50 for more than 10 minutes. So if I get 13 alerts…. Like last night…. That’s more than two hours with a HR below 50.

It can be a thing for people of any age getting in shape.

What was it previously? I'd feel more concerned if it had dropped suddenly and far (still not panicked).

If gradually, and weight is decreasing, fitness increasing, it could be normal.

Mine is below 50 overnight (and has set off bradycardia alarms at outpatient surgical centers a couple of times, where they set the alarm at 50, before any drugs/anesthesia, just waiting in pre-op).

I only had a instant-reading HRM before the Garmin, but would wear it overnight occasionally, and sometimes see first-thing-on-waking readings below 50, after I'd been working out for a while, even while still obese.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member

RHR lowering when getting fitter is a thing for everyone regardless of age. Losing weight might also be a factor.

Personal anecdote
    My previous chubby but good fitness level as a competitive squash player was 60+bpm but taking up cycling and getting very fit and slimmer in my 50's saw it drop to 48bpm.

HR is so variable that normal is really "normal for me" If your change was from just over to just under 50bpm I'd just shrug, a big and sudden change I would have done exactly the same as you in seeking explanations.

Anecdote #2
    My brother is 66 and has always had a really unusually wide pulse range from a low RHR to a very high max HR (over 200bpm at age 60). Currently his RHR is in the 30's despite a load of stress and exercise limited to just walking, more usually it's been in the low 40's.

Anecdote #3
    My Dad developed a condition in older age where his sleeping HR dropped too low overnight and if he got up in the night he would faint. Needed a pacemaker that just kicked in only when needed.

PS - don't ask on the Fitness Forum as any HR thread gets an unusual demographic of responders with people like me with atypical HR!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,031 Member
    anawake13 wrote: »
    Saw doctor today. I'm feeling like an old car. One thing breaks down at a time. I have two large masses on my thyroid which now have to be biopsied to see what's up. He said I might have to have thyroid removed which can't help weight loss much. Prayers appreciated. My husband and I can't have issues at same time, it's written in our contract. Lol. Congrats on your ride, that's so awesome.

I'm so sorry you're going through that: So stressful! I don't know about you, but I hate that phase where I know something is medically wrong, but it isn't totally pinned down what it is and what needs to happen to treat it. Sympathies!

Speaking as someone who's severely hypothyroid, I think the effect (even unremediated) is not as bad for weight loss as many people imagine (not saying it's a help; it sure isn't!); and there are good treatments that if managed properly can put us back in the normal zone for weight loss, even if thyroid must be removed.

There's a very good thread here about hypothyroidism and weight management, written by a guy who is a scientist in the field, hypothyroid himself (I believe his thyroid was surgically removed or chemotherapeutically disabled, if I recall correctly), who lost weight himself by calorie counting. I found it very informative.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10767046/hypothyroidism-and-weight-management

I hope you get positive news - as positive as possible! - and effective treatment that goes smoothly, if it turns out you need it. Sending well-wishes!
  • MargaretYakoda
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    anawake13 wrote: »
    Saw doctor today. I'm feeling like an old car. One thing breaks down at a time. I have two large masses on my thyroid which now have to be biopsied to see what's up. He said I might have to have thyroid removed which can't help weight loss much. Prayers appreciated. My husband and I can't have issues at same time, it's written in our contract. Lol. Congrats on your ride, that's so awesome.

I'm so sorry you're going through that: So stressful! I don't know about you, but I hate that phase where I know something is medically wrong, but it isn't totally pinned down what it is and what needs to happen to treat it. Sympathies!

Speaking as someone who's severely hypothyroid, I think the effect (even unremediated) is not as bad for weight loss as many people imagine (not saying it's a help; it sure isn't!); and there are good treatments that if managed properly can put us back in the normal zone for weight loss, even if thyroid must be removed.

There's a very good thread here about hypothyroidism and weight management, written by a guy who is a scientist in the field, hypothyroid himself (I believe his thyroid was surgically removed or chemotherapeutically disabled, if I recall correctly), who lost weight himself by calorie counting. I found it very informative.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10767046/hypothyroidism-and-weight-management

I hope you get positive news - as positive as possible! - and effective treatment that goes smoothly, if it turns out you need it. Sending well-wishes!

Confirming everything here.
    Hypothyroid makes you not want to move. That’s what slows down the “carbs out” part of the COCO equation.
    And, it has been my experience that some doctors are reluctant (putting it nicely) to medicate people to the proper level. Because over medication of thyroid meds brings it’s own issues.

If/when you have the proper level of thyroid replacement hormones you won’t feel any different. So don’t stress too much about it right now. Cross that bridge when you get to it. Chances are it won’t be anywhere near as bad as you’re imagining.
  • MargaretYakoda
    susbeck2 wrote: »
    I think I've found my group! I'm 74, need to lose 40 lbs, want to lose 50. But ... I have a painful torn meniscus that has kept me on the couch for the past year, and my pool is closed due to Covid.

Is your injury limiting walking?
    There are some things you can do to get your cardio even with severe disability. But it’s a person by person type of discussion.

First thing I would recommend is check your local physiotherapy offices to see if any of them have a machine called a NuStep.
    If they do, have a session or three with that machine and a physical therapist.

If that works for you, consider purchasing one for home use. That’s what we did and it’s been a game changer for our household.

PM me for more info if you wish. And no, I am not a salesman. But I adore our NuStep. Two out of four people in my household would not be able to exercise without it.
  • MargaretYakoda
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

It can be a thing for people of any age getting in shape.

What was it previously? I'd feel more concerned if it had dropped suddenly and far (still not panicked).

If gradually, and weight is decreasing, fitness increasing, it could be normal.

Mine is below 50 overnight (and has set off bradycardia alarms at outpatient surgical centers a couple of times, where they set the alarm at 50, before any drugs/anesthesia, just waiting in pre-op).

I only had a instant-reading HRM before the Garmin, but would wear it overnight occasionally, and sometimes see first-thing-on-waking readings below 50, after I'd been working out for a while, even while still obese.

Well, technically I am still obese. So there’s that.

When I was younger my HR was always within whatever “normal” was. I could get it up to 150ish during cardio with zero issues, even while obese.

OK looking at historical data on Apple Health, it looks like my resting HR was never much above 60 even when I was very obese.
    Yay genetics!

And the resting HR has been trending down exactly on scale along with my weight.

I’ve also found how to reset the alert on my watch to go off at 45 bpm. That should solve this. I think.
    Of course, I will keep my GP informed.
  • MargaretYakoda
    sijomial wrote: »

RHR lowering when getting fitter is a thing for everyone regardless of age. Losing weight might also be a factor.

Personal anecdote
    My previous chubby but good fitness level as a competitive squash player was 60+bpm but taking up cycling and getting very fit and slimmer in my 50's saw it drop to 48bpm.

HR is so variable that normal is really "normal for me" If your change was from just over to just under 50bpm I'd just shrug, a big and sudden change I would have done exactly the same as you in seeking explanations.

Anecdote #2
    My brother is 66 and has always had a really unusually wide pulse range from a low RHR to a very high max HR (over 200bpm at age 60). Currently his RHR is in the 30's despite a load of stress and exercise limited to just walking, more usually it's been in the low 40's.

Anecdote #3
    My Dad developed a condition in older age where his sleeping HR dropped too low overnight and if he got up in the night he would faint. Needed a pacemaker that just kicked in only when needed.

PS - don't ask on the Fitness Forum as any HR thread gets an unusual demographic of responders with people like me with atypical HR!

Noted. Thanks much!

• healhierhappiness
    healhierhappiness Posts: 102 Member
    Hello
    Hope everyone doing good!! Eat the rainbow!! Taste the rainbow... plenty out there now with gardens. Looking forward to sweet corn, its awesome here in NE Ohio
  • MargaretYakoda
    sijomial wrote: »

Personal anecdote

Anecdote #2

Anecdote #3

Noted. Thanks much!

Updating with Dr’s note.

Yup. I’m fitter than I have been in years, and absolutely fine.
    I’ve set the watch to alert at 45 BPM, and we’ll revisit if it starts alerting at that level.