60 yrs and up

Replies

• kyungs
    kyungs Posts: 66 Member
    I belong to an MFP group called "Lose a Pound a Week". They are signing up new members right now. Very supportive group with lots of encouragement. Different challenges each week and a weekly weight log-in to keep you motivated. Join us if you like!

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10818588/need-a-helpful-and-motivational-group-join-our-lose-1-pound-a-week-and-keep-it-off-2021/p1

Thanks for the info, steve
  • echojuliet21
    echojuliet21 Posts: 50 Member
    pippo_11 wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I’m 60 and from Australia. In September last year I had my blood tested, and everything checked out ok, except my cholesterol is 7.1 when it should be 4.0! Dr said to aim for 5.5 in 6 months time, so my next test is in March. I’ve researched foods with good and bad fats, and changed my diet accordingly. I walk probably an hour each day at a brisk pace. I’m currently losing 1kg every 3 weeks, so I’m pretty happy with that. Although my BMI is ok, it’s on the high end of the scale. I’m losing belly fat too, which I was hoping for.

Get rid of in hour diet first. Remove sugar as much as possible
    I have been taking Metamucil ( orange flavor sugar free) and apple cider vinegar daily for over 2 years and my cholesterol is hovering around 100. The fibre in Metamucil acts like a sponge for cholesterol. Cheap Insurance I call it

• annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,255 Member
    Can I join please!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,905 Member
    annliz23 wrote: »
    Can I join please!

All you have to do is jump into the conversation and keep coming back.
  • myhre46
    myhre46 Posts: 7 Member
    Sounds good.
  • DiKoehler
    DiKoehler Posts: 65 Member
    edited January 2021
    I am 69. I was going to the gym for 2 yeas before COVID and in pretty good shape. still had 10 # to loose. Now I am up another 10#, snacking at night and essentially NO exercise. I signed up for a week of Intermittent Fasting tacking and education and am 3 days in and 2.6# down. Not sure I am doing it right. I am on a 14:10 plan and drinking tea almost continuously between meals. It is keeping me full and no snacking. Now to tackle the snacking at night watching TV. I also signed up for a 6 week course through Humana to get my life back in control and get the weight off.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member
    DiKoehler wrote: »
    I am 69. I was going to the gym for 2 yeas before COVID and in pretty good shape. still had 10 # to loose. Now I am up another 10#, snacking at night and essentially NO exercise. I signed up for a week of Intermittent Fasting tacking and education and am 3 days in and 2.6# down. Not sure I am doing it right. I am on a 14:10 plan and drinking tea almost continuously between meals. It is keeping me full and no snacking. Now to tackle the snacking at night watching TV. I also signed up for a 6 week course through Humana to get my life back in control and get the weight off.

That's interesting: I'm switching into a Humana plan in January, an employer sponsored one (I'm a retiree, age 65). I wonder if there will be classes and such as part of the plan we have (it does include Silver Sneakers). I'm set up in the Humana online portal, but it's not really open to me with full coverage functions until . . . gosh, tomorrow, I guess! I'll have to check it out, see what resources there may be. Thanks for mentioning it.
  • DiKoehler
    the silver sneakers online has so many classes and so much resource material. Humana has some and if there is a local Humana community site there is a lot more: classes, movies, cooking demos.
  • DiKoehler
    Good Morning all, looking at intermittent fasting as a new way forward in 2021. is anyone doing this now or have experience with it. Im planning on lunch dinner and skip brekkie. I was never a breakfast person.

I have done intermittent fasting in the past. Worked well for me because I tended to eat and snack heavily in the evening. I used an 8 hour window - eating between 2 pm and 10 pm. Taught me the difference between eating as a habit and eating when I was actually hungry. Now I typically have a protein bar in the morning - then eat lunch and dinner when I'm hungry. It works well as long as you control your calorie intake.

I am glad to hear this about the fasting. I generally am a 3 meals a day person but have been snacking way too much the last couple of months. Trying a 10am-7 pm plan with lots and lots of liquids.
  • kyungs
    I had a late lunch today which included 48.2g protein - why am i still hungry?!?
  • trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 251 Member
    Are you drinking water?
  • kyungs
    trekkie123 wrote: »
    Are you drinking water?

not as much as i should. i’ll try upping my water.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member
    kyungs wrote: »
    I had a late lunch today which included 48.2g protein - why am i still hungry?!?

Satiation is pretty individual. Many people find protein sating, but for others fat is filling, or high-volume foods (like big portions of low-cal veggies), maybe fiber-containing foods specifically. Some people find very specific foods quite filling. (For me, oatmeal is one.) In some research, the food most commonly reported as sating was whole potatoes.

PP may be right, and hydration is part of it. But it may also take a little experimentation to see what macros or foods are most sating for you, on what timing. I swear, this weight management thing is like a science fair experiment for grown-ups! (I though that part was fun, personally, nerd that I am. 😉)
  • Memyselfandi59
    Memyselfandi59 Posts: 43 Member
    Hi, I’m 61 and need to lose 20 lbs. any help or inspiration is welcome!
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,270 Member
    kyungs wrote: »
    trekkie123 wrote: »
    Are you drinking water?

not as much as i should. i’ll try upping my water.
    Good question@trekkie123. Drinking enough water and getting enough sleep are #1.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,270 Member
    I had a different experience than @DiKoehler in 2020. Yes I missed our regular Aquafit classes when the Y closed and I struggled to adjust to finding exercise I liked and could do with my knees but since I wasn’t commuting to work I solved my problem with breakfasts by having more time to prepare something healthier. I lost over 20 pounds but now I am back to working full time although remotely and even though I am still eating healthier breakfasts I am having trouble with exercise now. I am trying to adjust calories down and find ways to fit in exercise and also meal planning. The pandemic forced me to plan meals better to avoid trips to the grocery store but that was because I was on furlough. Now I have a new job and need to find time to plan meals better.

Any way I said I wanted to check in to say Happy New Year! I made it. I gained back some of the 20+ pounds I lost this year this fall and through the holidays. It is a combination of holiday eating and trying to adjust to working fulltime again. So hoping to lose more this year than last not to mention getting off the 5+ pounds I gained recently. At least we went for a walk today but had to stop when we got soaked so it was shorter than I had hoped.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    I drink a lot of flavored water. I drink more that way. I use Mio to add to bottled water. I buy flavored low calorie waters like Vitamin Water Zero or VitaRain from Costco. We keep a pitcher of Crystal Light drink mix in the refrigerator at all times. My son and I both like that.

There are a lot of other options, too. I need to try a water infuser to add fresh fruit flavor. Find some flavors that you like and it makes it a lot easier to drink more water.
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,255 Member
    I drink a lot of flavored water. I drink more that way. I use Mio to add to bottled water. I buy flavored low calorie waters like Vitamin Water Zero or VitaRain from Costco. We keep a pitcher of Crystal Light drink mix in the refrigerator at all times. My son and I both like that.

There are a lot of other options, too. I need to try a water infuser to add fresh fruit flavor. Find some flavors that you like and it makes it a lot easier to drink more water.

I like this idea Steve
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Just bumping this thread and trying to keep it active.

I'm still walking the dog several times a week. Broke out the yoga mat and have done two stretching sessions this week. Headed back to the gym to start lifting again next week.

What are you all up to?