60 yrs and up

Replies

• MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,123 Member
    Hello
    Hope everyone doing good!! Eat the rainbow!! Taste the rainbow... plenty out there now with gardens. Looking forward to sweet corn, its awesome here in NE Ohio

We were just gifted bounty from a friend’s garden.
    Firing up the dehydrator tonight! Whoo!
  • trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 250 Member
    anawake13 wrote: »
    Saw doctor today. I'm feeling like an old car. One thing breaks down at a time. I have two large masses on my thyroid which now have to be biopsied to see what's up. He said I might have to have thyroid removed which can't help weight loss much. Prayers appreciated. My husband and I can't have issues at same time, it's written in our contract. Lol. Congrats on your ride, that's so awesome.

🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻
  • healhierhappiness
    healhierhappiness Posts: 95 Member
    edited August 2021
    hello
    One food lalaplalozza weekend I had!!! Not good at all :( Ate 6 pieces of dominos pizza this weekend. [cookies, potato chips you get the picture. Gained back the 3 pounsds I lost!!!! arghhhhhh p/.s. the chip and dip is still here
  • healhierhappiness
    Saw doctor today. I'm feeling like an old car. One thing breaks down at a time. I have two large masses on my thyroid which now have to be biopsied to see what's up. He said I might have to have thyroid removed which can't help weight loss much. Prayers appreciated. My husband and I can't have issues at same time, it's written in our contract. Lol. Congrats on your ride, that's so awesome.

Anawake
    Hope your biopsy finds what needs to be done with your thyroid. Prayers to your hubs and you, hoping for the best 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻
  • healhierhappiness
    today sucked again 1800 calories supposed to be at 1200 to lose a pound a week. I am stressed out over upcoming colonscopy
  • MargaretYakoda
    edited August 2021
    Johal2021 wrote: »
    Please add me! I am 69 years old and brand new to MFP. Just came over from SparkPeople and feeling a bit lost in MFP but getting more confident.
    My August goal is to lose 4 pounds (currently at 160) and consistently stick with my MFP plans for eating and exercising.

I’ll send you a friend request. I’m a former SparkPeople person too.

It’s not bad here, once you get used to it.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/140805-spark-people-friends.
    And here. https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/140824-from-sparkpeople-to-myfitnesspal-the-journey-continues Come join us.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    hello
    One food lalaplalozza weekend I had!!! Not good at all :( Ate 6 pieces of dominos pizza this weekend. [cookies, potato chips you get the picture. Gained bacu k the 3 pounsds I lost!!!! arghhhhhh p/.s. the chip and dip is still here

Since it's still so soon, there's a decent chance a big chunk of that 3 pound "regain" is just water retention and digestive contents on their way to being waste, *not* actual body fat regain. Before stressing over it, give it a few days to a week or two, see where you settle out. It may not be as bad as it seems, right now.

In order to regain 3 pounds of body fat, you'd need to cumulatively eat roughly 10,500 calories over and above your weight-maintenance calories, not just over your current fat-loss calorie goal. That's really a lot of calories, seems likely you didn't eat that many over one weekend. I'm a good li'l ol' eater when I want to be, and 3500 over my maintenance calories for 3 days in a row (i.e. long weekend) would be quite an undertaking. I've done it, but it's not easy IMO.

Give it some time, see where you end up, don't give up or get super stressed about it - that would be my advice.

Hugs!
  • healhierhappiness

Replying to Anns post above this.
    Hi Ann
    Thanks so much. We will see how this trend of eating goes Today I am still eating chips and dip pretty soon it will all be GONE!! Hoping that 3 pounds does come off I have about 350ish calories in my 1200 cal budget left for today. We are planning on french toast ( 12 grain bread sugar free syrup) some scrambled eggs for dinner. Hoping that will keep me in line more or less, and I stop this food madness!!!!
  • AnnPT77
    Drive by check in. Some good days, some bad days at my house. Chemo is on hold for a week or two, but Kathy's appetite still comes and goes (mostly goes). She sleeps more than she is awake. We see the oncologist tomorrow and we will find out what is in the long term plan.

Holding the line weight wise - losing very slowly. Workouts and walking help to manage the stress, but still going on the occasional binge.

Steve, you're doing absolutely amazingly under these very-difficult conditions.

I remain so sorry that you and your wife are going through this, so sympathetic.

Holding the line on weight is excellent under these circumstances; losing slowly is a big accomplishment. (If you have the emotional energy for it in your already-taxed emotional budget, I think you should feel ultra proud of yourself.)

Hang in there, and feel free to drop in and vent, or whatever may help you at the time. Sending strength and caring to both of you!
  • MargaretYakoda
    Drive by check in. Some good days, some bad days at my house. Chemo is on hold for a week or two, but Kathy's appetite still comes and goes (mostly goes). She sleeps more than she is awake. We see the oncologist tomorrow and we will find out what is in the long term plan.

Holding the line weight wise - losing very slowly. Workouts and walking help to manage the stress, but still going on the occasional binge.

Holding the line weight wise while dealing with everything your family is going through is a win.

Hugs.
  • AnnPT77
    Replying to Anns post above this.
    Hi Ann
    Thanks so much. We will see how this trend of eating goes Today I am still eating chips and dip pretty soon it will all be GONE!! Hoping that 3 pounds does come off I have about 350ish calories in my 1200 cal budget left for today. We are planning on french toast ( 12 grain bread sugar free syrup) some scrambled eggs for dinner. Hoping that will keep me in line more or less, and I stop this food madness!!!!

Let us know the aftermath, if that isn't too stressful for you, maybe? If you didn't eat that 10,500 calories over maintenance calories, my money is on the probability that you'll see your weight drop back down fairly quickly. *How* quickly is somewhat individual. For me, it almost never takes more than a week. It can be quicker, or slower.

This personal example might amuse you, dunno:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10603949/big-overfeed-ruins-everything-nope/p1

Full digestive transit, per research, can take 50+ hours. Before that, I'd withhold judgement. Water retention can take longer to clear up. . . how long varies with individual circumstances.

Betting on an OK outcome here . . . which isn't a reason to go crazy on the reg, more like a reason to give ourselves grace if things go a little weird in the rare case, as I see it.
  • AnnPT77
    Looks like I haven't done a personal update on this thread lately, so here it is: I fear I'm pretty boring to the casual reader, though my life seems reasonably contented to me.

Doing my usual stuff: Rowing on water M-W-F-Sa weather permitting for about 7k, which takes around an hour including water-drinking breaks and stuff. (This is my joy, plus much of my social life.) Rowing a quad (4 person sculling boat, 2 oars per person) often lately, with my buddies. Common participants are 2 women around 75 y/o, me (65) and another of similar age (retired head of community college massage program), another woman a bit above 60, then some "mere youths" including a new-this-year rower (longtime roller derby athlete) who's probably in her 30s, a 21-year-old recent-college-graduate former NCAA Div III coxswain who's an excellent rower (as many coxswains are, they're just too tiny to row at high levels, since that favors tall people), and a (tall) one-time Big Ten conference champion rower in her 30s who's now a pharmacist locally. One of the wonderful things about rowing is that people of different strengths can row together in boats, successfully, in ways that give everyone a good time. So fun, and I love having friends across age groups!

Monday nights, I've been supervising my rowing club's open rowing time 6-8PM, which is when newer/less confident rowers can come out, get help carrying boats to the water (a 30-45 pound 18-26' boat is awkward to carry solo, even if the weight is manageable), get a few tips on common errors to avoid. As the "supervisor", I'm the pseudo expert: It'll have to do, I guess. 😆

For me, it adds some walking and a little boat carrying; and is a nice quiet time outside (sitting on the dock in a plastic lawn chair), but not what I'd call exercise. Enjoyable, though. There are ducks, geese, some prehistoric looking Great Blue Herons, the occasional deer, mink, egret, or what-have-you. At worst, I'm sitting next to a scenic river: Good stuff.

Most M-W-F, I go to a park after my row, walk for around 5 miles. Recently, I've added a mini-circuit of questionably-effective upper body exercises, using outdoor exercise machines in the park. I do reps until it feels like I'm working, different for each machine. Better doing those, than not doing those, I think?

On the Tu-Th, I often go for a bike ride, something in the 10-25 mile range depending on schedule/weather/energy/inclination. I skipped today because my usual route to the trails is complicated by gravel topping new top-coat, for a couple of miles via any alternative. (Yeah, I coulda put the bike in the car . . . .). The gravel is unstable to ride on, and passing cars toss random bits at me, which is sub-recreational. Sundays are usually intentional rest days, unless I've had other rest days because of weather or something.

This will be a light week for exercise, I hope (?): I'm scheduled for outpatient eye surgery, pars plana vitrectomy, on Thursday. It was scheduled in June, got cancelled due to the surgeon having emergency calls. Hoping it will happen this time, as she says my risk of problems increases with time. Also hoping the less-extreme version of surgery will be possible, as expected: If it's more difficult, I'll end up with needing to be face down for something like 50 minutes out of every hour for the next couple of weeks, which sounds non-fun (one of my friends recently went through that). If all goes as expected, should just be a week off exercise (bad enough in itself, in my personal happiness formula!). Right now, I'm pretty much legally blind in my left eye (20/150 or worse), though I have enough light/shape getting through to have some 3D perception. I'm hoping this may get me a better binocular vision.

I'm pretty much hanging in weight-wise, weight stable around 125 pounds (at 5'5") as intended, after those previous decades of obesity, at the moment. If I drop down a few pounds, I splurge a little; if creeping up, I try to hold the line just a bit below maintenance calories. I'm coming out of a phase where I'd added a few pounds, lost it ultra-super-slowly by intention over around 18 months, hoping to hold around 125 for a longer period. Working at it, but jury's out.

Hope everyone is having a good, productive week, with peace and happiness! 😊
  • anawake13
    anawake13 Posts: 99 Member
    Not Ann you sure made me tired. Good job on keeping moving. My big activity was shampooing area rug and cleaning the hard wood floors lol. At least I didn't sit and read all day. It's so hot still I can't seem to get motivated to get my exercise routine back on track. My go to is walking on my treadmill and yoga so I can be indoors. Living in the country with allergies I don't do well outside other than short time in pool. Everyone enjoy your week. Good luck with your eyes I had similar problems and now have 20/25 for first time since I was a kid. Keep us posted.

• AnnPT77
    Not Ann you sure made me tired. Good job on keeping moving. My big activity was shampooing area rug and cleaning the hard wood floors lol. At least I didn't sit and read all day. It's so hot still I can't seem to get motivated to get my exercise routine back on track. My go to is walking on my treadmill and yoga so I can be indoors. Living in the country with allergies I don't do well outside other than short time in pool. Everyone enjoy your week. Good luck with your eyes I had similar problems and now have 20/25 for first time since I was a kid. Keep us posted.

Thank you for the well-wishes: It can only help!

My secret on the exercise front: I don't do much of the needful cleaning/yardwork, to the detriment of general adulthood, even though I live alone. (Living alone now - in longtime widowhood - is both a blessing and a curse. I can do as I like, whenever and as much as I like . . . but what I like isn't always the most responsible possible choice.) Good for you, getting after the rug/floor: I'd be a better woman if I did likewise, for sure!
  • healhierhappiness
    edited August 2021
    Ann
    That is a lot of activity you do, excellent job!!! I am amazed at all of that you do rowing walking biking sure is good for you or anyone!! Hope your surgery goes forward on Thursday and I wish you well with that and you have the less extreme surgery. BTW I have lost one of the 3 pounds I gained back so far. I read your link and I see a little indulgence doesn't sabatoge the whole thing, Thanks for the link :) Yesterday was a better day, not perfect but better. Good luck tomorrow
  • MargaretYakoda
    Drive-by check-in. Met with the oncologist yesterday. Wife's blood chemistry is good/normal now, but she is not fighting to get stronger. She said to the doctor, "This old gal is wearing out." I'm concerned that she is just going to give up. She is not doing the needed physical therapy. She's not long for this earth if she doesn't improve her general physical condition. 😟

Regardless, trying to take care of myself, too. Still walking with the dog. Two gym workouts this week. Keeping the diet under control and not drinking too much.

Appreciate all the kind words, everyone. Thank you.

Hang in there.
    Being my husband’s caregiver for the past decade has been one of the most difficult things I have ever done. I don’t think anyone really knows what it’s like until they’re going through it.

I’m glad you’re able to carve out gym time. That’s really good.

Keep us informed. We’re here for you.
    <3