Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Does your doctor comment on your weight?

Options

Replies

• Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    My endocrinologist always notes my weight .. whether I’ve lost, gained or maintained….even small increments.
    It’s part of health. Glad she mentions it. It’s also related to metabolism and thyroid for me.. so something to keep in check.
  • BuddhaBunnyFTW
    BuddhaBunnyFTW Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    My former doctor told me to get a job in a warehouse lol. Also said that I should eat more eggs (I have high cholesterol). My new doc just comments on my cholesterol numbers which are higher due to genetics and me being over weight. He suggested I start eating more lean proteins. I eat predominantly vegan. They are kind of out of touch IMHO.
  • Mellouk89
    Mellouk89 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    It's funny, only one time a doctor ever commented on my weight and it's because she was worrying about my low body weight, she said 145lbs at 5'9 is "way too skinny", that's how she said it.

I've been 20-30lbs overweight and not one word from any doctor.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    My former doctor told me to get a job in a warehouse lol. Also said that I should eat more eggs (I have high cholesterol). My new doc just comments on my cholesterol numbers which are higher due to genetics and me being over weight. He suggested I start eating more lean proteins. I eat predominantly vegan. They are kind of out of touch IMHO.

Most doctors know nothing about weight besides the BMI chart. They are just regular people. All my coworkers are doctors and think you have to do keto or some crazy diet to lose weight. None of them know half as much as 90% of the people on here.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options

Most doctors know nothing about weight besides the BMI chart. They are just regular people. All my coworkers are doctors and think you have to do keto or some crazy diet to lose weight. None of them know half as much as 90% of the people on here.

The hyperbole is great with this statement.

With that said, doctors should definitely have more training in nutrition.
  • Mellouk89
    Mellouk89 Posts: 469 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options

Yes I concur, one time I asked to be tested for vitamin D levels. My doctor asked me if I drink milk on a regular basis, I said yes, she then said there's no need to be tested for vitamin D because I drink milk.

But then you do some research and you realize there's only 100 IU in 250ml of milk, you would need to drink 10 glasses of milk a day to reach 1000 IU.

So yes a lot of doctors lack knowledge in nutrition.