This isn't a dating app...

Options

Replies

• MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,568 Member
    Options
    NVintage wrote: »
    I agree! I have had a really good experience with MFP with most guys being very respectful and nice. I know you shouldn't have to, but might I suggest a picture like this...
    wd94fiorntku.png
    instead of a sexy selfie. I put a not so sexy selfie showing half my body one time and got 3 times as many odd friend requests. Also this is my About me on my profile, haha
    About Me:
    I've lost most of the weight that I wanted to lose in July! Now I'm using the food diary mostly as a meal planner and to store recipes. I try to plan all my dinners for the week on Sundays.
    (Nothing personal, but the private messaging is a bit weird on here, and so I usually don't respond to the private messages on this site. However, I do appreciate any friend requests.)

Turkey Salsa Thyme Bowl
    Reduced fat ranch dressing (1 tbsp)
    Hot sauce, to taste
    turkey (3 ounces)
    shredded cheese
    pico de gallo
    shredded lettuce
    All over wild rice
    with olive oil and thyme

ninerbuff wrote: »
    Welcome to the public forum. Where you'l get a mixture of creeps and good people. You just have to filter out the bad ones.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

The behavior has nothing to do with what profile picture we choose.

This is all on the people who decide to message people inappropriately.

And the message in the OP is “don’t do that”
    Which is valid.
  • NVintage
    NVintage Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    Yes, I understand that in an ideal world "the message in the OP “don’t do that”
    Which is valid" would work...However, realistically you will get a lot less attention with a less sexy profile picture. Try it yourself! Common sense.. So if it truly bothers you and you'd rather not get all the attention, then put less sexiness out there. If you like your sexy selfie, nothing wrong with that, be yourself and embrace your sexiness online. Just accept that this is a public website and all kinds of people are going to see it and respond to what you display.

“People know what they do; frequently they know why they do what they do; but what they don't know is what what they do does.”
    ― Michel Foucault, Madness and Civilization: A History of Insanity in the Age of Reason

I agree! I have had a really good experience with MFP with most guys being very respectful and nice. I know you shouldn't have to, but might I suggest a picture like this...
    wd94fiorntku.png
    instead of a sexy selfie. I put a not so sexy selfie showing half my body one time and got 3 times as many odd friend requests. Also this is my About me on my profile, haha
    About Me:
    I've lost most of the weight that I wanted to lose in July! Now I'm using the food diary mostly as a meal planner and to store recipes. I try to plan all my dinners for the week on Sundays.
    (Nothing personal, but the private messaging is a bit weird on here, and so I usually don't respond to the private messages on this site. However, I do appreciate any friend requests.)

Turkey Salsa Thyme Bowl
    Reduced fat ranch dressing (1 tbsp)
    Hot sauce, to taste
    turkey (3 ounces)
    shredded cheese
    pico de gallo
    shredded lettuce
    All over wild rice
    with olive oil and thyme

Welcome to the public forum. Where you'l get a mixture of creeps and good people. You just have to filter out the bad ones.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

The behavior has nothing to do with what profile picture we choose.

This is all on the people who decide to message people inappropriately.

And the message in the OP is “don’t do that”
    Which is valid.

• NVintage
    Options
    that advice is perilously close to "what were you wearing?" It should not be necessary to change one's profile photo from a normal photo of a normal woman wearing things that it's legal and decent to wear in public, in order to avoid rude, unwelcome come-ons. Looking nice in one's profile photo is not a solicitation of inappropriate messages. The focus needs to be on the people who are behaving badly."

I thought about that when I said it, which is why I said* I know you shouldn't have to* I'm all for truth, though...it's good to be honest with yourself and think about why you do what you do.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I mean yeah.

But I participate in a lot of public forums, with a lot of people participating.

The concentration of creeps being overtly sexual in unsolicited ways here is higher than *almost* anywhere else. It is very, very weird and obnoxious and generally unpleasant.
    Maybe because they're on keto? :D

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

You're my favorite for that!
  • NVintage
    edited August 2021
    Options
    I understand what you're saying, but I think it's a bit of a stretch to compare changing a myfitnesspal profile pic to avoid unwanted attention and blaming our appearance in real life for actual sexual harassment or violence toward women. & Just because I'd suggest not flashing a bunch of hundred dollar bills in a bad neighborhood doesn't mean I'm blaming you for the crime rate there...

that advice is perilously close to "what were you wearing?" It should not be necessary to change one's profile photo from a normal photo of a normal woman wearing things that it's legal and decent to wear in public, in order to avoid rude, unwelcome come-ons. Looking nice in one's profile photo is not a solicitation of inappropriate messages. The focus needs to be on the people who are behaving badly."

I thought about that when I said it, which is why I said* I know you shouldn't have to* I'm all for truth, though...it's good to be honest with yourself and think about why you do what you do.

As long as the advice is given to avoid certain clothes, poses, hair colors, hemlines, or etc - even with the qualification “I know you shouldn’t have to” - then it leaves room to blame the victim.

I haven’t mentioned it on this forum yet, but the one thing that was a key factor in my stopping my previous effort at weight loss was my chemistry professor who happened also to be my work study boss.
    Long story. Won’t detail all of it here. Suffice it to say it was bad.

But I was returning to school. Trying to finish my degree. I had been getting fit and losing weight for some time. I was looking great. Really. I was 46, and about 160. Not that far from my goal.

The things he did, well…. When I found out he was doing the same to others (and, it turned out, worse) I reported him. And then I got the full force of rumors and the school and their lawyers. It was an absolute nightmare, that went on for a long time.

He even used the fact that I am well endowed and had the nerve to wear a sweater I purchased at Costco to “prove” to others what a “party girl” I was.
    When all I was doing was attending class, cleaning lab equipment, setting up experiments for students, and occasionally grading papers (which I later found out I should never have been doing) That sweater showed exactly one inch of cleavage.
    An inch…. And was brown and otherwise quite boring.

For the record, I am not, and never have been, a party girl. But there is nothing wrong with that if it’s truly consensual.

My point here is it doesn’t matter what you wear, the creepers will say it was a signal you wanted to (insert adult activity here)
    So please. Keep the emphasis on the creeper’s behavior. Because someone could be wearing a head to toe covering and creepers will always say “They led me on! They wanted it!”
    Don’t let them have even that much to hang on to.
    It’s always always always the creeper’s behavior that is the problem. Always.

• NVintage
    Options
    No thank you! I'd rather focus on the things that I can control, and I suggested the profile pic based on my own experience. Also, I am pretty sure I made it clear that I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the sexy pics...just that I've gotten less attention with this one.