This isn't a dating app...

Options

Replies

• NVintage
    NVintage Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I disagree. I don't feel I'm telling anyone to do that, and I think it's a little silly to compare a photo online with these serious issues.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    What you're doing when you tell women to change their appearance or behavior in order to avoid getting creeped on, is you're saying, "make sure he [harasses/bothers/assaults] the other girl." The behavior that gross dudes choose to engage in is not women's responsibility to manage, in cyberspace or meatspace. The men are making a choice and it is about god damned time they faced some consequences for it.
    b43oqatrw9aa.jpeg

• Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    Can you send messages to people you haven't accepted as friends on here again?
  • MargaretYakoda
    Options
    Vikka_V wrote: »

It appears so.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I don’t think so. I used to accept requests, but now I am more particular. I have not gotten creepy comments that I could report, just that make me personally uncomfortable.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options

I believe no, but with the exception that anyone can PM the MFP staff members who're responsible for the Community even if not friends with them.
  • MargaretYakoda
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I believe no, but with the exception that anyone can PM the MFP staff members who're responsible for the Community even if not friends with them.

Let’s test it.
    May I send you a message?
  • AnnPT77
    Options

Let’s test it.

Sure.

As long as it's not an inappropriate come-on. (Kidding! Kidding! Yes, send.)

I don't *think* I'm different from the standard user set-up, though on the "Welcome Committee" - it doesn't come with a membership status change like being a moderator does, AFAIK.
  • MargaretYakoda
    Options

Let’s test it.

Sure.

As long as it's not an inappropriate come-on. (Kidding! Kidding! Yes, send.)

I don't *think* I'm different from the standard user set-up, though on the "Welcome Committee" - it doesn't come with a membership status change like being a moderator does, AFAIK.

bu0mlexmb7lw.png
    Well…. This is what I get.

The other day I tried it and there was an option to send someone a message.
    So I think maybe the person’s feed needs to be set to private.
  • MargaretYakoda
    Options
    Whereas this is a newbie.
    I could, if I wished, send them a private message.

I think the solution here is for MFP to set to default things such that private messages can’t be sent unless you have chosen to allow it.

u6ma87slfwl0.jpeg
  • Ironwoman1111
    Ironwoman1111 Posts: 3,913 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    @MargaretYakoda

Did you click on the blue head?
  • MargaretYakoda
    edited August 2021
    Options
    @MargaretYakoda

Editing because I mittened up

Turns out yes.
    I can send a message to @AnnPT77
    0kq7z7ow8j2q.jpeg
  • AnnPT77
    edited August 2021
    Options
    @MargaretYakoda

Turns out yes.
    0kq7z7ow8j2q.jpeg

I think it's a no-op placebo pseudo-send. Here's my in-box, after a couple of refreshes, just now:

dgarx5th2j49.jpg

Apologies to a few MFP friends whom I've just outed as willing to send PMs to me. 😉 All were nice, friendly, perfectly appropriate PMs.

If it comes through, I'll speak up. But I don't really expect it.
  • MargaretYakoda
    Options
    @MargaretYakoda

Turns out yes.
    0kq7z7ow8j2q.jpeg

I think it's a no-op placebo pseudo-send. Here's my in-box, after a couple of refreshes, just now:

dgarx5th2j49.jpg

Apologies to a few MFP friends whom I've just outed as willing to send PMs to me. 😉 All were nice, friendly, perfectly appropriate PMs.

Full disclosure: Here’s how it looks on my side

74d8ylg2785t.jpeg
    jnlmpy846rdk.png
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    @MargaretYakoda

Turns out yes.
    0kq7z7ow8j2q.jpeg

dgarx5th2j49.jpg

74d8ylg2785t.jpeg
    jnlmpy846rdk.png

I'd note that your outbox list doesn't say I read it. My inbox doesn't show it (still - I checked again).

It appears that the answer is that you can send a message to a non-friend, but they won't receive it.

If creepers out there are thinking they sent messages to a bunch of intended creep-ees, who didn't read them . . . that's vaguely satisfying, somehow, in that they wanted attention, didn't get any. Apparently, not even an indication that the message wasn't actually delivered. 😆
  • MargaretYakoda
    Options
    @MargaretYakoda

Turns out yes.
    0kq7z7ow8j2q.jpeg

dgarx5th2j49.jpg

74d8ylg2785t.jpeg
    jnlmpy846rdk.png

I'd note that your outbox list doesn't say I read it. My inbox doesn't show it (still - I checked again).

It appears that the answer is that you can send a message to a non-friend, but they won't receive it.

If creepers out there are thinking they sent messages to a bunch of intended creep-ees, who didn't read them . . . that's vaguely satisfying, somehow, in that they wanted attention, didn't get any. Apparently, not even an indication that the message wasn't actually delivered. 😆

Bwa Ha Ha!

Love it!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I’ve gotten several canned private messages lately that sound very similar, and with -can’t quite put my finger on why- potentially English not their first language.

I figure they’re catfishing for money or a visa.

And as @TayaCurragh so intuitively puts it, they think women with weight issues (or user names that proclaim their age) are easy targets.

One of these days I’m going to reply with “oh hey there! I’m sitting here naked eating cookies and chocolates and checking my investments. Want some nude pics of my 59 year old *kitten*?”

There has been an uptick in bots lately. I've been targeted as a "male" with these bots (probably because I don't have an explicitly female-sounding nickname or whatever other reasons there are (I do get email spam targetted at males too, so this may be related). Just don't accept friend requests from people who you haven't interacted with or if the friend invite message is missing or sounds suspicious.