Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

New York becomes first U.S. city to order COVID vaccines for restaurants, gyms

Replies

• EyeOTS
    EyeOTS Posts: 362 Member
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    California just ordered a mandate for health care workers. I’m surprised this wasn’t done sooner. All of the PAs and doctors I know are vaccinated and about 70% of our nurses but for some reason there are still some resistant workers and they know better.

I’m glad it is mandated now because even with masking and PPE, you can transmit Covid to others. The last thing a patient who comes in for chest pain or other unrelated complaint needs is to also catch Covid while in the hospital because his irresponsible caregiver refused the vaccine.

I've actually seen a few nurses (CNA etc) reluctant to get the vaccine because they had enough knowledge to realize just how unprecidented it was to get a vaccine as quickly as we did. Sometimes a little knowledge can be dangerous. Your first pathology class is scary!

I'm just curious if you experienced the same.
  • xrj22
    xrj22 Posts: 197 Member
    Here is WA, the governor just announced that all healthcare and state employees need to be vaccinated by Oct 18. I support that in theory. I was glad to be a healthcare worker and got vaccinated as soon as I could. But the backlash here is huge. There were about 300 people demonstrating in front of the local hospital here. 68% of the adults in the state are vaccinated. But when you think that 80+% of the elderly are vaccinated, that means a large percent of the workforce is not. I don't think the mandate is going to hold. Offices and hospitals can't just fire that many people all at once. So I am guessing that either the mandate will be dropped, or there will be some compromise with non-vaccinated being able to mask and test instead.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,289 Member
    xrj22 wrote: »
    Here is WA, the governor just announced that all healthcare and state employees need to be vaccinated by Oct 18. I support that in theory. I was glad to be a healthcare worker and got vaccinated as soon as I could. But the backlash here is huge. There were about 300 people demonstrating in front of the local hospital here. 68% of the adults in the state are vaccinated. But when you think that 80+% of the elderly are vaccinated, that means a large percent of the workforce is not. I don't think the mandate is going to hold. Offices and hospitals can't just fire that many people all at once. So I am guessing that either the mandate will be dropped, or there will be some compromise with non-vaccinated being able to mask and test instead.

I’m in Western Washington and I’m not aware of any protests. I do live under a rock, so perhaps I just haven’t heard about them. But I suspect that level of resistance to vaccines is east of the mountains. And since the majority population is on the western side of the state? I would not expect the mandate to be lifted any time soon.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    A lot of Seattle police are unvaccinated and not willing to comply with the mandate. Jenny Durkin (mayor of Seattle) has said, in other contexts, that she isn't willing to lose more police head count. The smart money says SPD will either be exempt or be able to show negative covid tests in lieu of vaccination. The policy wasn't negotiable, so the Police Union didn't get to negotiate and has raised an issue, that will probably be used as cover if the policy changes.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    psychod787 wrote: »
    EyeOTS wrote: »
    California just ordered a mandate for health care workers. I’m surprised this wasn’t done sooner. All of the PAs and doctors I know are vaccinated and about 70% of our nurses but for some reason there are still some resistant workers and they know better.

I’m glad it is mandated now because even with masking and PPE, you can transmit Covid to others. The last thing a patient who comes in for chest pain or other unrelated complaint needs is to also catch Covid while in the hospital because his irresponsible caregiver refused the vaccine.

Yuuup, and I'm expecting a lot of co-workers to quit over that. I'm for it, but ouch is it going to suck for us in the short term

Same. We have about 50 unvaccinated nurses who are threatening to quit.

Actually, its going to hurt in the lloonnnggg term. Many nurses have just and left the profession, taken jobs in telehealth, or case management. What many of the companies are failing to recognize is, schools are not making enough of us to replace those lost. In my line of nursing, there are few that hear the calling. It takes a breed of tough, independent, and most of all detached nurses, to survive. Tough, because you deal with chronic manipulation and the threat of violence everyday. Independent, because there will be many times you have no access to a provider, and have to make decisions quickly. Detached, well.... try giving care to someone who you know raped and killed a child. One's emotions can play hell, but we took an oath, "first, do no harm." I lovely call the ladies I work with, "barbwire broads". They are some of the best nurses I have had the privilidge to work with. All that said, my company is about to lose 50% of staff, when we are already understaffed, because they are trying to mandate vaccinations. How are we going to replace that? Answer: you can't.

Yuuup, and I'm expecting a lot of co-workers to quit over that. I'm for it, but ouch is it going to suck for us in the short term

I find the notion of un-vaccinated nurses to be weird considering the profession they've chosen. I suppose I can understand medical exemptions and religious ones, but something tells me all 50 of the nurses you're mentioning don't fall into either of those categories.

Also, it's been eye-opening and somewhat disturbing (for me anyway) to learn just how conspiratorial and anti-science some health care professionals are.. and Covid brought it all out of the woodwork, so to speak.

I am really hoping I'm just somehow encountering a lot of the more vocal minority in this regard.

A lot of them are making a political statement. They refuse the vaccine because they don’t want to be controlled. They also are very vocal supporters of the former president.

Just say his name. He is not "Beetlejuice". Saying it 3 times won't get him back into office.... Trump... Trump... Trump..... wait...............Biden is still president. For the record I am vaccinated and I have had the virus. I got it in December when my company offered it and had the virus in November. While some of the nurses who are getting ready to walk are "conservative", many are liberal, and of child rearing age. They have their concerns. I personally back them. I also back those who want the vaccine.

You don't think that patients have a right to expect that their health care providers aren't unnecessarily exposing them to a disease that can cause long term disability, extended time on a vent, or even death? Consider some patients are especially vulnerable -- they may be in no condition to question their caregivers (e.g., if they're unconscious, suffering from dementia or other conditions that preclude their understanding their risks) about whether they are vaccinated, or they may have no option in an emergency situation to refuse treatment from an unvaxed provider even if they are in a condition to ask. On top of which, most of us are socialized not to question medical providers but just do what we're told.

<===clears voice ughh...uh....
    <===speaks very slowly I..... support......my....fellow.....healthcare.....workers......decisions.....of....self......determination,.....to.... vaccinate..... or.....not.....
    That's it. I'm not going to argue with you.......
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member

Actually, its going to hurt in the lloonnnggg term. Many nurses have just and left the profession, taken jobs in telehealth, or case management. What many of the companies are failing to recognize is, schools are not making enough of us to replace those lost. In my line of nursing, there are few that hear the calling. It takes a breed of tough, independent, and most of all detached nurses, to survive. Tough, because you deal with chronic manipulation and the threat of violence everyday. Independent, because there will be many times you have no access to a provider, and have to make decisions quickly. Detached, well.... try giving care to someone who you know raped and killed a child. One's emotions can play hell, but we took an oath, "first, do no harm." I lovely call the ladies I work with, "barbwire broads". They are some of the best nurses I have had the privilidge to work with. All that said, my company is about to lose 50% of staff, when we are already understaffed, because they are trying to mandate vaccinations. How are we going to replace that? Answer: you can't.

I find the notion of un-vaccinated nurses to be weird considering the profession they've chosen. I suppose I can understand medical exemptions and religious ones, but something tells me all 50 of the nurses you're mentioning don't fall into either of those categories.

Also, it's been eye-opening and somewhat disturbing (for me anyway) to learn just how conspiratorial and anti-science some health care professionals are.. and Covid brought it all out of the woodwork, so to speak.

I am really hoping I'm just somehow encountering a lot of the more vocal minority in this regard.

A lot of them are making a political statement. They refuse the vaccine because they don’t want to be controlled. They also are very vocal supporters of the former president.

Just say his name. He is not "Beetlejuice". Saying it 3 times won't get him back into office.... Trump... Trump... Trump..... wait...............Biden is still president. For the record I am vaccinated and I have had the virus. I got it in December when my company offered it and had the virus in November. While some of the nurses who are getting ready to walk are "conservative", many are liberal, and of child rearing age. They have their concerns. I personally back them. I also back those who want the vaccine.

You don't think that patients have a right to expect that their health care providers aren't unnecessarily exposing them to a disease that can cause long term disability, extended time on a vent, or even death? Consider some patients are especially vulnerable -- they may be in no condition to question their caregivers (e.g., if they're unconscious, suffering from dementia or other conditions that preclude their understanding their risks) about whether they are vaccinated, or they may have no option in an emergency situation to refuse treatment from an unvaxed provider even if they are in a condition to ask. On top of which, most of us are socialized not to question medical providers but just do what we're told.

<===speaks very slowly I..... support......my....fellow.....healthcare.....workers......decisions.....of....self......determination,.....to.... vaccinate..... or.....not.....

:) Hi there. Waving a white flag of peace.
    For medical personnel refusing to vaccinate, will there be other criteria in place to guarantee protection to the patient? Or I should say as much of a guarantee as there can be. Because we all know nothing in this whole tragic pandemic is coming with any guarantees but rather better odds. Much more frequent testing? Double masking? That sort of thing? There has got to be a good healthy compromise for everybody. Nobody wants to lose good nurses; they are the heart that cares for patients, along with the assistants and aides out there. God knows there aren't enough to go around already and to have huge numbers walk away because they're being forced to vaccinate......there's got to be a way to keep them and to protect the patients.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »

:) Hi there. Waving a white flag of peace.
    For medical personnel refusing to vaccinate, will there be other criteria in place to guarantee protection to the patient? Or I should say as much of a guarantee as there can be. Because we all know nothing in this whole tragic pandemic is coming with any guarantees but rather better odds. Much more frequent testing? Double masking? That sort of thing? There has got to be a good healthy compromise for everybody. Nobody wants to lose good nurses; they are the heart that cares for patients, along with the assistants and aides out there. God knows there aren't enough to go around already and to have huge numbers walk away because they're being forced to vaccinate......there's got to be a way to keep them and to protect the patients.

I appreciate the offer of the "white flag" ma'am, but it is not needed.... I am unwavering in my support of my fellow workers.
    panda4153 wrote: »
    I think that people should have the right to choose if they want the vaccine or not, meaning it should not be illegal to not get vaccinated, but I also support the right of any business or government agency to require it, to work on site and or enter the premises. If you make a choice you live with the consequences good and bad. I made the choice to get vaccinated and my children all over 12 are also vaccinated, I evaluated the risks associated with the vaccine against the risks of not, and made my choice. As a result we have more options for businesses we can enter which Yay!! However if one of us had had an adverse reaction i would not have blamed fhe science I knew the risk and I made a choice. I understand that low risk does not mean no risk.

Now for people who choose not to vaccinate, they have to accept the outcome of their choices m, meaning restrictions in access to certain businesses and their ability to be employed in certain fields such as healthcare.

My final thoughts here are that since there are instances in which it’s not a choice, children under 12, and certain health conditions, I think businesses should offer alternatives to service those folks. Telehealth for healthcare, online school, and curbside to go are all examples of ways of still offering the service to someone unvaccinated.

Make you choice m, I respect your choice, but you need to also respect and accept the outcomes of your choice.

I agree with private businesses right to choose.....but..... in a market that is already depleted of workers, forcing someone to choose, might not be wise. Many of us work in niche parts of nursing. We become highly skilled at what we do. Thus, not making it easy to replace quickly. New graduate nurses need time to mature, at least a year on the floor. I receive weekly, unsolicited, text messages to go on contracts around the country. I mean, its not the 8-10k a week ICU nurses were getting, closer to 3-4k a week, but still, nearly exotic dancer money. I am staying where I am at, because I made a promise to someone, but when that is done, I'm out.
This discussion has been closed.