Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

New York becomes first U.S. city to order COVID vaccines for restaurants, gyms

Replies

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    psychod787 wrote: »
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    EyeOTS wrote: »
    California just ordered a mandate for health care workers. I’m surprised this wasn’t done sooner. All of the PAs and doctors I know are vaccinated and about 70% of our nurses but for some reason there are still some resistant workers and they know better.

I’m glad it is mandated now because even with masking and PPE, you can transmit Covid to others. The last thing a patient who comes in for chest pain or other unrelated complaint needs is to also catch Covid while in the hospital because his irresponsible caregiver refused the vaccine.

Yuuup, and I'm expecting a lot of co-workers to quit over that. I'm for it, but ouch is it going to suck for us in the short term

Same. We have about 50 unvaccinated nurses who are threatening to quit.

Actually, its going to hurt in the lloonnnggg term. Many nurses have just and left the profession, taken jobs in telehealth, or case management. What many of the companies are failing to recognize is, schools are not making enough of us to replace those lost. In my line of nursing, there are few that hear the calling. It takes a breed of tough, independent, and most of all detached nurses, to survive. Tough, because you deal with chronic manipulation and the threat of violence everyday. Independent, because there will be many times you have no access to a provider, and have to make decisions quickly. Detached, well.... try giving care to someone who you know raped and killed a child. One's emotions can play hell, but we took an oath, "first, do no harm." I lovely call the ladies I work with, "barbwire broads". They are some of the best nurses I have had the privilidge to work with. All that said, my company is about to lose 50% of staff, when we are already understaffed, because they are trying to mandate vaccinations. How are we going to replace that? Answer: you can't.
    California just ordered a mandate for health care workers. I’m surprised this wasn’t done sooner. All of the PAs and doctors I know are vaccinated and about 70% of our nurses but for some reason there are still some resistant workers and they know better.

I’m glad it is mandated now because even with masking and PPE, you can transmit Covid to others. The last thing a patient who comes in for chest pain or other unrelated complaint needs is to also catch Covid while in the hospital because his irresponsible caregiver refused the vaccine.

Yuuup, and I'm expecting a lot of co-workers to quit over that. I'm for it, but ouch is it going to suck for us in the short term

I find the notion of un-vaccinated nurses to be weird considering the profession they've chosen. I suppose I can understand medical exemptions and religious ones, but something tells me all 50 of the nurses you're mentioning don't fall into either of those categories.

Also, it's been eye-opening and somewhat disturbing (for me anyway) to learn just how conspiratorial and anti-science some health care professionals are.. and Covid brought it all out of the woodwork, so to speak.

I am really hoping I'm just somehow encountering a lot of the more vocal minority in this regard.

A lot of them are making a political statement. They refuse the vaccine because they don’t want to be controlled. They also are very vocal supporters of the former president.

Just say his name. He is not "Beetlejuice". Saying it 3 times won't get him back into office.... Trump... Trump... Trump..... wait...............Biden is still president. For the record I am vaccinated and I have had the virus. I got it in December when my company offered it and had the virus in November. While some of the nurses who are getting ready to walk are "conservative", many are liberal, and of child rearing age. They have their concerns. I personally back them. I also back those who want the vaccine.

You don't think that patients have a right to expect that their health care providers aren't unnecessarily exposing them to a disease that can cause long term disability, extended time on a vent, or even death? Consider some patients are especially vulnerable -- they may be in no condition to question their caregivers (e.g., if they're unconscious, suffering from dementia or other conditions that preclude their understanding their risks) about whether they are vaccinated, or they may have no option in an emergency situation to refuse treatment from an unvaxed provider even if they are in a condition to ask. On top of which, most of us are socialized not to question medical providers but just do what we're told.

And the bolded is not the fault of the medical provider (or lawyer, or accountant, auto mechanic or anyone else with a skill one needs).

One needs to be an adult and question what they don't understand or need clarified.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member

Actually, its going to hurt in the lloonnnggg term. Many nurses have just and left the profession, taken jobs in telehealth, or case management. What many of the companies are failing to recognize is, schools are not making enough of us to replace those lost. In my line of nursing, there are few that hear the calling. It takes a breed of tough, independent, and most of all detached nurses, to survive. Tough, because you deal with chronic manipulation and the threat of violence everyday. Independent, because there will be many times you have no access to a provider, and have to make decisions quickly. Detached, well.... try giving care to someone who you know raped and killed a child. One's emotions can play hell, but we took an oath, "first, do no harm." I lovely call the ladies I work with, "barbwire broads". They are some of the best nurses I have had the privilidge to work with. All that said, my company is about to lose 50% of staff, when we are already understaffed, because they are trying to mandate vaccinations. How are we going to replace that? Answer: you can't.

I find the notion of un-vaccinated nurses to be weird considering the profession they've chosen. I suppose I can understand medical exemptions and religious ones, but something tells me all 50 of the nurses you're mentioning don't fall into either of those categories.

Also, it's been eye-opening and somewhat disturbing (for me anyway) to learn just how conspiratorial and anti-science some health care professionals are.. and Covid brought it all out of the woodwork, so to speak.

I am really hoping I'm just somehow encountering a lot of the more vocal minority in this regard.

A lot of them are making a political statement. They refuse the vaccine because they don’t want to be controlled. They also are very vocal supporters of the former president.

Just say his name. He is not "Beetlejuice". Saying it 3 times won't get him back into office.... Trump... Trump... Trump..... wait...............Biden is still president. For the record I am vaccinated and I have had the virus. I got it in December when my company offered it and had the virus in November. While some of the nurses who are getting ready to walk are "conservative", many are liberal, and of child rearing age. They have their concerns. I personally back them. I also back those who want the vaccine.

You don't think that patients have a right to expect that their health care providers aren't unnecessarily exposing them to a disease that can cause long term disability, extended time on a vent, or even death? Consider some patients are especially vulnerable -- they may be in no condition to question their caregivers (e.g., if they're unconscious, suffering from dementia or other conditions that preclude their understanding their risks) about whether they are vaccinated, or they may have no option in an emergency situation to refuse treatment from an unvaxed provider even if they are in a condition to ask. On top of which, most of us are socialized not to question medical providers but just do what we're told.

<===clears voice ughh...uh....
    <===speaks very slowly I..... support......my....fellow.....healthcare.....workers......decisions.....of....self......determination,.....to.... vaccinate..... or.....not.....
    That's it. I'm not going to argue with you.......

Healthcare workers should ABSOLUTELY have the right to self determination. 🙂

They aren't just entitled to a job whose criteria they no longer meet, though. Employers have determination too.

With it said that way, I was just bumped over the fence to the side of mandatory vax. BUT I'm lucky in the fact that I had a mild case of Covid in November, then was completely vaxxed by March, with little side affects. What about all the cases we read about who have terrible side affects from the vaccine? I'm not arguing for/against with bringing this question up but rather expressing concerns for people who have valid fears. I'm also not including those who feel their freedoms are being stripped because....well I won't get into my thoughts on that. :s

BUT that still doesn't give a good resolution of the shortage of nurses(or other medical professionals) who refuse to get vaccinated. As I said, there has GOT to be some middle of the road agreements where everyone can stay as safe as possible.
  • ReenieHJ
    I wish I could've been a fly on any wall back in 1918 to hear what conversations were like then. I assume people were much more likely to do what was expected of them, for the good of all. People are very different now compared to then.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »

<===speaks very slowly I..... support......my....fellow.....healthcare.....workers......decisions.....of....self......determination,.....to.... vaccinate..... or.....not.....

They aren't just entitled to a job whose criteria they no longer meet, though. Employers have determination too.

With it said that way, I was just bumped over the fence to the side of mandatory vax. BUT I'm lucky in the fact that I had a mild case of Covid in November, then was completely vaxxed by March, with little side affects. What about all the cases we read about who have terrible side affects from the vaccine? I'm not arguing for/against with bringing this question up but rather expressing concerns for people who have valid fears. I'm also not including those who feel their freedoms are being stripped because....well I won't get into my thoughts on that. :s

BUT that still doesn't give a good resolution of the shortage of nurses(or other medical professionals) who refuse to get vaccinated. As I said, there has GOT to be some middle of the road agreements where everyone can stay as safe as possible.
    Not picking on you, personally, but I'm really tired of this excuse/fear from people.

The absolute WORST of the documented immune responses from the vaccine is 1-2 days of fever, chills, body aches, headaches. Some people I know where completely knocked out and couldn't get out of bed for 24 hours.

I wouldn't call this a "side effect"...that's reserved for effects that the actual components of a medication have on a person. This is your body's immune response triggered by the vaccine.

As adults, I'll assume we have all had nasty colds or flus in our lives, many lasting multiple days or even weeks. For sure, they are not fun. But, it's not like we've never experienced such symptoms before.

With the vaccine, we have the luxury of planning and scheduling our doses so that if you are one of the people who gets that immune response, you can minimize the disruption to your life.

Even for the people I know who were flattened for a day or two...ZERO of them regretted getting the vaccine. One or two days of feeling like crap is way better than getting a severe case of COVID.

I really think it's just people looking for excuses.

@ReenieHJ are you reading about side effects of the vaccine that are worse than the above or is that what you meant?

My shingles vaccine side effects were far worse than that from the covid vax. However, it turned out I also had Anaplasmosis, so I don't actually know if any of my symptoms were due to the shingles vax. It's likely that the first 48 hours was indeed due to the shingles vax. After that, I felt better for a few days and then got sick again. That was likely the Anaplasmosis. The symptoms are extremely similar.

While I will never know for sure, I'm curious (and apprehensive) about what will happen when I get my second shingles shot, which was supposed to be last month. I need to reschedule that...

And I am going to reschedule it, because as unpleasant as it was after the first shot, that was still far better than a case of shingles, which my sister had.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    I wish I could've been a fly on any wall back in 1918 to hear what conversations were like then. I assume people were much more likely to do what was expected of them, for the good of all. People are very different now compared to then.

https://www.history.com/news/1918-spanish-flu-mask-wearing-resistance
  • YellowD0gs
    YellowD0gs Posts: 693 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Not picking on you, personally, but I'm really tired of this excuse/fear from people.

The absolute WORST of the documented immune responses from the vaccine is 1-2 days of fever, chills, body aches, headaches. Some people I know where completely knocked out and couldn't get out of bed for 24 hours.

I wouldn't call this a "side effect"...that's reserved for effects that the actual components of a medication have on a person. This is your body's immune response triggered by the vaccine.

As adults, I'll assume we have all had nasty colds or flus in our lives, many lasting multiple days or even weeks. For sure, they are not fun. But, it's not like we've never experienced such symptoms before.

With the vaccine, we have the luxury of planning and scheduling our doses so that if you are one of the people who gets that immune response, you can minimize the disruption to your life.

Even for the people I know who were flattened for a day or two...ZERO of them regretted getting the vaccine. One or two days of feeling like crap is way better than getting a severe case of COVID.

@ReenieHJ are you reading about side effects of the vaccine that are worse than the above or is that what you meant?

My shingles vaccine side effects were far worse than that from the covid vax. However, it turned out I also had Anaplasmosis, so I don't actually know if any of my symptoms were due to the shingles vax. It's likely that the first 48 hours was indeed due to the shingles vax. After that, I felt better for a few days and then got sick again. That was likely the Anaplasmosis. The symptoms are extremely similar.

While I will never know for sure, I'm curious (and apprehensive) about what will happen when I get my second shingles shot, which was supposed to be last month. I need to reschedule that...

And I am going to reschedule it, because as unpleasant as it was after the first shot, that was still far better than a case of shingles, which my sister had.

OMG yes! The Shingrix vaccine was multiples of times worse than Covid (Moderna). Felt like a truck ran over my shoulder for over a week. And this is a common side-effect, so common they told me my shoulder would ache afterwards...and it did...and I still took it, because its still better than a case of the shingles.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Interesting opinion Doc. Well..... hmmm..... I had a spiel about diseases that medical personnel spread and no one discriminates against them ......blah blah..... other vaccines that stop diseases not being required to work.... blah... blah....... You know all these things. Then I was going to go into how it could become a slippery slope.... blah... blah .... blah.... , buts that's a logical fallacy. It comes down to this for me..... We support our patients decisions of self determination...... so, I also support my fellow healthcare workers decisions of self determination. As Nietzsche advised..... Careful how long you stare into the abyss...

Other vaccines for infectious diseases not being required??

Glad that isnt the case where I live - public health staff DO require vaccines ( or serological proof of immunity) for relevant diseases- flu vaccine, hepatitis B, whooping cough, MMRV

Highly likely covid vaccine will be added to that.

Already the case for all workers in Aged Care facilities - mandatory to have at least first dose by Sept 17.

If you want to be free for 'self determination' don't work in health care ( and preferably live on an island by yourself)

I know at my hospital they do require many vaccines including MMR, TDaP, and Hepatitis. We also have to show Varicella titers or vaccination. They are very strict about it and ask for proof yearly.
  • ReenieHJ
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I'm not good at pulling links or news articles I've read, out of my hat, to share, but aren't there a few stories out there where people have developed heart issues and such, from getting the vaccine? No, I'm not talking about the possible typical normal Covid vax side affects. Those are basically nothing compared to getting possible Covid side affects, which range from zero to death.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    jogman wrote: »
    I guess I just don’t get what all the fuss is about. According to the CDC, vaccinated individuals can pass on the same viral load as unvaccinated so it seems like the end result is the same where ever there are groups of people, vaccinated or unvaccinated. If you are vaccinated, the risk seems to be the same. Less chance of getting sick but the same chance of passing on to someone who may not be able to be vaccinated due to whatever reason. Seems like the focus should still be on masking and social distancing not excluding/including different parts of society. I also find it interesting (when you dig for it) that natural antibodies seem to be proving to have similar efficacy to the vaccines. I probably would not have bothered to be vaccinated if I knew I had already had it.

A vaxed breakthrough case can pass on the same viral load as unvaxed...but it's not the same because a vaxed individual is much less likely to get the virus in the first place. So it's not the same risk at all...just that if you do happen to get it, you can still pass it on to the unvaxed which is why my office just announced that masks will once again be required regardless of vax status. It is also highly probable that a vaxed breakthrough case would go undetected as many vaxed individuals have no or very few symptoms.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »

And the bolded is not the fault of the medical provider (or lawyer, or accountant, auto mechanic or anyone else with a skill one needs).

One needs to be an adult and question what they don't understand or need clarified.

It is their fault when the majority of medical practitioners brush you off when you ask questions and quickly make clear that they are getting impatient and view you as a "problem" patient.

In most circumstances I can walk away from a lawyer (assuming I'm not an indigent defendant), accountant, or auto mechanic (assuming I haven't broken down in the middle of nowhere) and seek one who treats me with respect. Between insurance restrictions and the possibility that I might be seeking medical assistance in an emergency situation, my ability to walk away from a medical practitioner is much more limited.
This discussion has been closed.