Options

Replies

• RA_Warrior
    RA_Warrior Posts: 29 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    RA_Warrior wrote: »
    I can now see that my expectation of 'an army of friends' here at MyFitnessPal might be a bit far stretched. I thought being 'friends' at a fitness board might work like the biggest loser team. Something like in the morning sharing MyFitnessPlan and in the evening admitting that it didn't all go as planned.

I want to learn and exchange 'fitness and weight loss tips and ideas. I want to snoop in my friends' diaries to get ideas. I want to listen (read) and see if what they are doing, would work for me. I expected to talk about fitness, health, wellbeing, setbacks and triggers, motivation, and inspiration.

Sometimes a pat on my back, sometimes a kick in my butt. I found my motivation, I look at it every morning.
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    No, you're not unfriendly, IMO. You're entitled to want what you want, need what you need.

Inter-humaning is hard. I'm grateful to be introverted, not need a whole bunch of it. 🤷‍♀️ I've been especially grateful for that during the pandemic.

Not sure if I am introverted, but I don't need people to be happy. Kind of a loner with a handful of great friends who all happen to be slim. I am not much into sensationalism either and drama either.

I tried to be your friend and you were not interested in my journey on MFP….I thought losing 110 lbs myself might help and inspire you…I am 70 years old….this was and is not a game to me….I had almost completely given up on living….my entire life has changed….I have an open diary and I am honest….this journey is for everyone and not just you….if I can help others along the way that is a good thing….I hope you find what you are looking for!

This puts a bit of a different spin on the OP's post.

I'm sorry that after such a tremendous successful lifestyle change, you were not supported by the OP who says how much she wants and needs supporters. :( Congratulations on your life turn-around!! <3

I'm sure the OP will find what she's looking for by weeding out the ones who don't fit her expectations. :/

No, it doesn't. You try to make me look bad, by posting only what she wrote. You decided to ignore my answer and explanation to her, and you decide to use only half of the facts to judge a stranger. Social media at its best and worst.

This is what I answered and you decided to overlook: I remember. Your 'openness and the number of lenghty posts you wrote about your husband and your private life shocked me on day one. All the best to you. I am sure you will succeed.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »
    Lietchi wrote: »
    I am so glad I posted this. Besides some really bad and wrong assumptions about me as a person, I learned a lot. Thank you for all the inspirational and motivational answers.

My little space on MyFitnessPal will be as superficial or as helpful as I will allow it to be. Who knew, I can adjust settings?

I have opened my diary (didn't know it was not automatically open to friends.)
    I adjusted my newsfeed. No more notifications about who befriends who.
    Some friends have deleted me. Thank you so much I prefer being axed over axing. :-)
    I found out I can ignore people's postings if I want -and so can they.
    Also, side effect, it seems I can adjust my diary to my needs. I am stunned and thrilled.
    It's ok not to be everybody's sweetheart. Just like in real life.

I will make some changes here. I will let people know what they can expect and what I expect.

I always introduce myself with every friend request I send, and I think I will from now on I will ask for the same.
    I will change my profile and will let future friends (and foes) know about my high expectations, wishes, and dreams. :wink:

I am a straight shooter and honest. I don't want to change that ever. I like me

I have (and will) get healthier and lose ALL the weight because there just isn't a plan B. I am either doomed or I will save myself.

Just a little heads up with regards to the bolded: I don't think the message you send along with friends requests actually works on MFP, I've never actually seen a message with the friend requests I've received.

I've seen them in the past... I think. But I've also seen recently that you can message someone that isn't a friend, which wasn't the case for a period of time. But I've been known to be wrong as well.....

@robertw486, FWIW, Margaret Yakoda (I'd tag her if I remembered her exact ID) tried sending a PM to me recently to test this - we aren't MFP friends. On her end, it looked like the message was sent, but that I hadn't read it. On my end, it never appeared in my inbox. We can PM the MFP staff IMU even if we aren't friends with them, but regular users can't PM other regular users who are not friends, I believe.

@Alex: I'm the sort of person who does not accept friend requests that do not include messages. What's the timeframe for fixing when a person sends a message with a FR but the recipient does not receive it, as recently tested? (See above.)

Removed the above as I misunderstood. (See below.)

However, I've always thought it bizarre that messages appear to go through and then never get delivered. Shouldn't there be a message that says, "You have to be friends in order to send a message."?
  • RA_Warrior
    RA_Warrior Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    I can now see that my expectation of 'an army of friends' here at MyFitnessPal might be a bit far stretched. I thought being 'friends' at a fitness board might work like the biggest loser team. Something like in the morning sharing MyFitnessPlan and in the evening admitting that it didn't all go as planned.

I want to learn and exchange 'fitness and weight loss tips and ideas. I want to snoop in my friends' diaries to get ideas. I want to listen (read) and see if what they are doing, would work for me. I expected to talk about fitness, health, wellbeing, setbacks and triggers, motivation, and inspiration.

Sometimes a pat on my back, sometimes a kick in my butt. I found my motivation, I look at it every morning.
    No, you're not unfriendly, IMO. You're entitled to want what you want, need what you need.

Inter-humaning is hard. I'm grateful to be introverted, not need a whole bunch of it. 🤷‍♀️ I've been especially grateful for that during the pandemic.

Not sure if I am introverted, but I don't need people to be happy. Kind of a loner with a handful of great friends who all happen to be slim. I am not much into sensationalism either and drama either.

I tried to be your friend and you were not interested in my journey on MFP….I thought losing 110 lbs myself might help and inspire you…I am 70 years old….this was and is not a game to me….I had almost completely given up on living….my entire life has changed….I have an open diary and I am honest….this journey is for everyone and not just you….if I can help others along the way that is a good thing….I hope you find what you are looking for!

This puts a bit of a different spin on the OP's post.

I'm sorry that after such a tremendous successful lifestyle change, you were not supported by the OP who says how much she wants and needs supporters. :( Congratulations on your life turn-around!! <3

I'm sure the OP will find what she's looking for by weeding out the ones who don't fit her expectations. :/

I still have 30 to 40 pounds to lose….

I do not think OP will ever find exactly what she is looking for!……there are too many different aspects to living a healthy lifestyle and losing weight…..I want to soak up any helpful hints others can share about their journeys….everyone has a story….it’s a shame OP is not open enough to listen and help others….I have casual friend on MFP as I do in life and others that I share more with….

I assume you didn't like that I axed you as a friend after you posted endlessly about your husband, who happens to have the same disease that I am dealing with. I am pretty busy with my own pain and suffering and while I know there are many others like me, I prefer to look forward and keep an upbeat and positive outlook about an autoimmune disorder that could take to 15 years of my life expectancy. We don't fake being sick, we fake being well.

While I have no problem sharing (with real friends and doctors) I prefer not to whine about it. Reading about your husband's struggle made me more aware of my own. Also, you did overpost quite a bit. You were my second friend and my newsfeed was full.

So please be so kind and enlighten me. What exactly about my honest post and my honest response is shameful? Is it the fact that I am honest? Is it the fact that I know what I am looking for and have decided not to 'like' everything and everybody. Is it the fact that I am willing to give up gluten-sugar-dairy-alcohol and caffeine to deal with an incurable disease?

FYI I always find what I am looking for because don't stop searching.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options

I'm a happy person. Maybe thats why you deleted me (truly, i dont care why). I laugh at myself. I laugh at my animals. I laugh at everything pretty much. Its that or have a nervous breakdown some days. And I hope I make other people on my friends list laugh. I truly do. Because this world is sad and serious enough as it is. And I LOVE the people on my friends list that share the kaleidoscope of their lives with me, as I share mine. And that is why I happily accept the majority of friend requests. Because there are some great people out there, if you give them half a chance.

I hope you find what you are looking for.

NO, I deleted you as a friend because I wasn't interested in your daily dog posts or your WordPress blog. You had warned me and you were right. That was all.

Sometimes honesty is the kindest thing.

And sometimes it's not. :# I would've loved the dog posts but see? Again, different strokes for different folks.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I am so glad I posted this. Besides some really bad and wrong assumptions about me as a person, I learned a lot. Thank you for all the inspirational and motivational answers.

My little space on MyFitnessPal will be as superficial or as helpful as I will allow it to be. Who knew, I can adjust settings?

Some friends have deleted me. Thank you so much I prefer being axed over axing. :-)
    Also, side effect, it seems I can adjust my diary to my needs. I am stunned and thrilled.

I will make some changes here. I will let people know what they can expect and what I expect.

I always introduce myself with every friend request I send, and I think I will from now on I will ask for the same.
    I will change my profile and will let future friends (and foes) know about my high expectations, wishes, and dreams. :wink:

I have (and will) get healthier and lose ALL the weight because there just isn't a plan B. I am either doomed or I will save myself.

Just a little heads up with regards to the bolded: I don't think the message you send along with friends requests actually works on MFP, I've never actually seen a message with the friend requests I've received.

I've seen them in the past... I think. But I've also seen recently that you can message someone that isn't a friend, which wasn't the case for a period of time. But I've been known to be wrong as well.....

@robertw486, FWIW, Margaret Yakoda (I'd tag her if I remembered her exact ID) tried sending a PM to me recently to test this - we aren't MFP friends. On her end, it looked like the message was sent, but that I hadn't read it. On my end, it never appeared in my inbox. We can PM the MFP staff IMU even if we aren't friends with them, but regular users can't PM other regular users who are not friends, I believe.

@Alex I'm the sort of person who does not accept friend requests that do not include messages. What's the timeframe for fixing when a person sends a message with a FR but the recipient does not receive it, as recently tested? (See above.)

For clarity: It was not a message with a FR that was tested. It was just a PM, no FR.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

@Alex I'm the sort of person who does not accept friend requests that do not include messages. What's the timeframe for fixing when a person sends a message with a FR but the recipient does not receive it, as recently tested? (See above.)

For clarity: It was not a message with a FR that was tested. It was just a PM, no FR.

Thanks! I edited.