What irks you today?

Options

Replies

• LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    My neighbors. 2 of my neighbors (separate families) are/were covid positive for the past 2 weeks. They decided not to isolate. Sending their kids to school and going to work. I don't care where you stand in all this but at least have some respect towards others and stay away. This will get me disagrees but truthfully I don't care. I've seen so many of my family members affected by this because of careless people like that.

I agree with you. If my kids get sick, I keep them home. My toddler is always home with me but even before this mess, I've always kept my older kids home from school if they had sniffles, sneezes, sore throat... And they go nowhere else, either.
  • LoveyChar
    Options
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    It struck this house. I did not worry about my 14 year-old. Quarantined, and we all survived it just fine. It also struck my 69 year-old dad. Now that was when worry hit, as he's over a thousand miles away and elderly, but he survived it. I also know several other people and I have yet to meet someone who was hospitalized. The news shows worse case scenario. If I said it was a little worse than a cold, I'm sure I'd hear about it. So I'll refrain...

Truth is both my dh and I had it as well, with little more than a cold. A family of 3 that I know had it, the mom and 2 yo did okay, the dad was terribly ill for quite awhile though he didn't require hospitalization. Another family I know; it was weird because they all lived together, all 4 were having pretty much the same symptoms but 1 person got very sick with it. But the weird thing about it was that only 2 of the family members ever tested positive, even though the other members took repeat tests and they kept coming back negative.

I get a flu shot every year to decrease my chances of getting severely sick with the flu. I will do the same with the Covid virus when boosters are a normal thing.

Just curious @LovelyChar....I know you're a teacher, how is your school district handling the start of school this year?

I am a teacher, but I haven't worked since the birth of my little boy three years ago. The district I did work for is not the district I live in and because of that, I don't know how they're dealing with it. My daughter had it less than a month ago and has all the antibodies, but I do make her wear a mask to school. I'm over it.

I don't care if someone doesn't wear a mask and I also don't care if they're not vaccinated. Not my business. People will die but the flu, diabetes, heart disease, cancer, and a variety of other diseases will also kill people, and frankly, I am so much more concerned about any of those than I am of this. So many of the people who become hospitalized or die from this have comoribity issues... asthma, emphysema, obesity, heart disease, and the list goes on...

I do wear a mask in public out of respect for others. But like I said, I personally didn't live in fear before and now I have no concern whatsoever about it because it's really nothing to worry about. The media is a liar because they're not telling the whole story, just giving you the pieces they want you to hear or see, and people are ignorant so they're quick to buy into whatever they're being fed.

I respect whatever any parent would decide is right for his/her child and I am not concerned at all about my children being around anyone who is unvaccinated or unmasked.

So from a teacher's perspective, I have nothing to offer on this particular topic. But as a parent, I have no concerns over it.

It’s nice for you that you are “not concerned”

For my family? With my medically fragile husband who hasn’t seen his friends in over a year?
    I sure do wish more people would be concerned about others.

Well he could always Skype with them or have a get together that is ten to twenty feet apart in distance. We all managed from home for a very long time. Hopefully his friends and family could find a way to make some time for him.

Medically fragile.

Skype doesn’t work for band practice.
    Or for the monthly gathering of people with dementia and their caregivers.
    Or a bunch of other things.

I disagree. Tell that to all the kids who have been doing online school for the past year that band practice doesn't work via Skype. YouTube offers great tutorials, by the way.

And if he has dementia, then he may not even remember if his caregiver was with him or not. But caregiving services did not stop due to Covid. So if his caregiver stopped coming, it was his/her personal choice. I could drop a client with a two-week notice and for any reason when I was a caregiver.

People have gone without for years. I'm more sympathetic for our military members or other people who have no choice or other alternatives. I hadn't seen my extended family in two years before this summer. It can be a big boohoo sob story or you can find a way that isn't in person.

Someone should help your husband. Caregiver wise, you could reach out and find another via an agency. Band practice does work via Skype. My daughter's best friend went to online school and only participated in band practice via Skype. People do most things they did before this via Skype or FaceTime. Maybe you could contact an agency for help or have a knowledgeable neighbor that could show your husband the ropes and you could write down the steps for him to reference at a later time.

Adding that I see you wrote that Skype doesn't work for "the monthly gathering of people with dementia and their caregivers." Yes, yes it certainly does work via Skype and if it was just once a month to begin with, it definitely should not be a problem to co-ordinate that via Skype.

Noting I said “for my family”

1) My husband is a retired professional bass player. Not some kid in a school band reading his part off a chart.
    Large, loud amps, and freestyle jamming together in the moment - not over glitchy wires where only one person can perform at a time.
    He literally can’t play at the house, as we don’t have a sound proof studio and it would disturb the neighbors.

2) I was an elected official at the beginning of the pandemic. I definitely don’t want or need lessons in how to Skype or zoom.
    We do occasionally “visit” family and friends over Zoom or FaceTime.
    Thanks anyhow.

3) I am my husband’s nearly full time caregiver. And dementia isn’t as simple as “absolutely fine” to “ drooling in a chair” with nothing in between. He has lost some things, but he definitely remembers who I am.

4) The monthly gathering of caregivers and their loved ones is called “Dementia Cafe”
    It’s meant to be an in-person “normal” meal out, where everyone just socializes over a meal at a restaurant. The focus is on the caregivers stepping back and allowing the people who have dementia to lead the conversation. Slow. Patient. It doesn’t work over Zoom, though. In part because it is very much all about a normal (as much as possible) meal out with friends.

A similar monthly program called Meet Me At The Movies has also been canceled due to the pandemic. And no, it can’t be done over Zoom.

5) My husband is a medically fragile Vietnam veteran. I can’t risk him catching COVID. It will kill him. And it is my opinion that others should wear masks, socially distance, and get vaccinated, in order to help protect people like my husband.
    But as long as anti-maskers and COVID deniers are out there spreading their germs like Mardi Gras beads??? He will remain at home. Being cared for by me.

I think that sounds like a great decision, definitely!!!
  • Water_babe20
    Water_babe20 Posts: 14 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    I’m going to get wet feet on my run 🌧
  • LoveyChar
    Options
    "And if he has dementia, then he may not even remember if his caregiver was with him or not. But caregiving services did not stop due to Covid. So if his caregiver stopped coming, it was his/her personal choice. I could drop a client with a two-week notice and for any reason when I was a caregiver."

Oy, going to have to go back to this comment. My BIL had Dementia, and through the last 6-9 months of his life, my sister had helpers in the home a lot. The only reason she refused to put him into a nursing home was because visits were not allowed. So she leaned on caregivers. There were quite a few weeks where caregivers were in short supply/high demand and it all fell to my sister(and me). Home Health and Hospice had too much juggling to do with too little help, to keep up. :(

Also, just because a person is diagnosed with dementia does not mean they're automatically brainless and mindless. Except for the last 2 weeks of my BIL's life, he knew people's faces, he knew the sound of their voices, he definitely had his favorites of the people who could make it to his side. He knew which caregivers to share hot chocolate with and which ones preferred coffee; hell he even could work the coffee maker himself up until 6 weeks before he died, and that only changed because he fell and never walked again.

So please don't say things like that. It's a cold-hearted generalization at best.

I know how how dementia and Alzheimer's affect the brain and the differences between the two and I know that dementia affects everyone differently. I'll say whatever I want to, though. I don't care how it comes across to you.
  • LoveyChar
    edited August 2021
    Options
    My neighbors. 2 of my neighbors (separate families) are/were covid positive for the past 2 weeks. They decided not to isolate. Sending their kids to school and going to work. I don't care where you stand in all this but at least have some respect towards others and stay away. This will get me disagrees but truthfully I don't care. I've seen so many of my family members affected by this because of careless people like that.

I agree with you. If my kids get sick, I keep them home. My toddler is always home with me but even before this mess, I've always kept my older kids home from school if they had sniffles, sneezes, sore throat... And they go nowhere else, either.

But the day before those sniffles appear, when things aren't feeling quite right and a child may not even say anything about feeling off, temp hasn't risen yet, they don't start a stomach bug until they're at school or daycare(can't tell you how many times I've had to clean puke off a carpet) but a child is still contagious. Many illnesses sneak through due to those types of things. Most children and adults will tolerate it all pretty well. Some won't be so lucky. :( Even without social media hyping it up(which I agree with to a point which is why I try to stay with the more reliable networks), you're still looking at probable work hours lost, jobs having to get done no matter what, more health bills, people going to work spreading illness more and more, etc., etc. Maybe *you* kept your child/ren home but many many don't. I saw it through my almost 40 years of in-home child care. Everything was teething or allergies. :/ Then surprise, everybody had allergies or was teething.

Easier and healthier and more cost efficient to don a mask, hope it helps with the protection of all. Nothing is infallible.
    JMO

Like I said before and I'll say it again and hopefully you'll remember: We do wear masks. Again, we do wear masks. One last time: We do wear masks.
  • LoveyChar
    Options
    Glitter irks me. I'm forever sweeping it, wiping, vacuuming it up and it's never gone. My daughter's dance costume is glitter from hat to boots.
  • Ironwoman1111
    Ironwoman1111 Posts: 3,913 Member
    Options
    J_NY_Z wrote: »
    vanityy99 wrote: »
    When it’s hot and humid out and I forget to put on the appropriate bra. I need that lacy, unlined bra that gives me AIR.

Girl I heard that! I had boob sweat yesterday.

yiuyt7okq0lj.gif
  • J_NY_Z
    J_NY_Z Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    J_NY_Z wrote: »
    vanityy99 wrote: »
    When it’s hot and humid out and I forget to put on the appropriate bra. I need that lacy, unlined bra that gives me AIR.

Girl I heard that! I had boob sweat yesterday.

That's exactly what I said.