Cats/Declawed

Options

Replies

• allison_joan
    Options
    I mean, not to be insensitive, but a cat scratch wouldn't kill the kid. That's life. And a clawless catt? That's not his life.

Not to be insensitive? You obviously never have had a child because if you did you wouldn't do anything/put your child anywhere where your child could face harm. I'm not saying you can't train the cat to be well behaved with a two year old but a two year old also doesn't have a sense between right and wrong and a cat scratch could potentially leave that child with serious damage if not careful. What about a child who had his face clawed and has scars forever? That's not that baby's life either.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    I'm glad that my two year old has learned to be polite with our cats.
  • voluptas63
    voluptas63 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Bump

Entertaining that you edited your own inflammatory post. Kudos.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Okay, I really don't know how I feel about my little Tango getting declawed but I will be moving into an apartment with my cousin pretty soon who has a 2 year old and also the deposit for a cat with claws is 500 and one without claws is 300. :( I don't want to hurt him but there is alot at risk (he is 8-12 months)
    How close are you to your cousin? Is this your cousin's only child? (parents often have different ideas of protection/risk with the first/only kid). How did the conversation about the cat go before you decided to move in together?

Unless the kid has some immune system issues or has a severe allergy, I don't know that getting scratched by a cat would be all that terrible. Not fun surely. But not life-threatening. You can't eliminate risk from kids' lives. Besides, as someone already posted, back claws and teeth pose as much of a risk to a 2-year-old than front claws.

What does your cousin say about teaching the kid to respect the cat? Is declawing something your cousing suggested? Or are you bringing this up because of *your* concerns about the kid? How does you cousin feel about your cat?

I assume that since you are asking for advice here you have not yet committed to getting the cat declawed. Since none of us are going to be living with you, maybe talking more with your cousin would help.
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    Oh, and Johnnysgirl, in other parts of the world outside of the USA, it can be spelled "defence."
    lol I posted before checking out. I thought i deleted it quickly enough that no one saw it...dang it.
    You-didn-t-see-anything-penguins-of-madagascar-22156435-840-593.jpg
  • kennethmgreen
    Options
    I mean, not to be insensitive, but a cat scratch wouldn't kill the kid. That's life. And a clawless catt? That's not his life.

Not to be insensitive? You obviously never have had a child because if you did you wouldn't do anything/put your child anywhere where your child could face harm. I'm not saying you can't train the cat to be well behaved with a two year old but a two year old also doesn't have a sense between right and wrong and a cat scratch could potentially leave that child with serious damage if not careful. What about a child who had his face clawed and has scars forever? That's not that baby's life either.
    Help me follow your logic. Are you saying that someone who suggested a cat scratch wouldn't kill a child obviously never had kids? I don't follow.

I said pretty much the same thing in a previous response and am doing a pretty good job of raising two girls with my wife. Do you mean "obviously never *birthed* a child"? I could call my wife and ask her, but I think she would agree with me about the cat.

I do know that people have had some terrible things happen to them (or kids they knew) done by cats. There have been terrible things done by dogs, too. And cars. And bad people. And bad teachers. And mean gym coaches. And hard asphalt. And baseballs lost in the sun. And food that's been choked on. And swimming pools. And trees with high branches. And...
  • Daisy374
    Daisy374 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Haha, all the things people were saying was making me feel bad. :(

don't feel bad... you are not a horrible person... and at least you are asking to get informed before you just went out and did it! I personally could never do it....but then again I also can't bear to kill bugs in my house as much as I hate them lol I take them outside when I can... however, I have a friend who always gets hers declawed, and has not had any problems with her cats healing and her cats seem fine without them. I just think it is inhumane, but don't judge people who get it done. Hope these answers helped you make your decision...
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options

I'm assuming you wrap your entire house in bubblewrap and don't let your child go outdoors either? You know, keep them away from anywhere your child could face harm?
  • jellycar
    Options
    Won't it cost $200 or more to get your cat declawed anyway? So really, no savings and one very hurt and upset kitty.
  • jellycar
    Options
    I do know that people have had some terrible things happen to them (or kids they knew) done by cats. There have been terrible things done by dogs, too. And cars. And bad people. And bad teachers. And mean gym coaches. And hard asphalt. And baseballs lost in the sun. And food that's been choked on. And swimming pools. And trees with high branches. And...

Hahahahaaaaa! Nice :)
  • navjhaj
    Options
    Right now is the best age to do it. Kittens handle it much better then adult cats. and there is no need to do the back claws. You really only need the front ones done. That way if he ever does get out he can still climb a tree or a fence if something is after him.
    I worked a vet tech for almost 8 years, and most cats do just fine with the surgery and heal quickly. Make sure you use shredded paper for the litter box or the pine litter for atleast a week. so the paws do not get infected.
    Most vet will give you a pain killer to help with the pain make sure you ask the vet if they do or not before the procedure. If they do not then I would find a vet at does, or offer to pay more for some. Most vets will use Metacam (meloxicam) But in low doses. Pain meds are kinda hard on cats and should be given only prescription drugs straight from the vet. Anything we have as humans is highly toxic for them.
    All in all it is a painful surgery but it is well worth it when your kitty gets to stay in and does not tear your furniture or the kids up. if you have any questions please feel free to inbox me.

Complete and UTTER B.S! There is NO good reason to do it. Period. It is barbaric and inhumane. The fact you are advocating it and falsely putting out B.S. about it is hugely troubling.

There are long term effects to health of the cat-it's where many of its touch censors are that it needs, declawing can lead to arthritis and litter box problems.

I just drove 1000 km to pick up a cat that was abandoned to a kill shelter because the owner decided the cat was having sporadic litter box problems. (I volunteer for a no-kill shelter that will take the cat back--thankfully, he was micro-chipped, and the kill shelter called us in time to save the cat).

Turns out the cat was having litter box problems because the barbaric, inhumane owner violated the terms of her adoption contract by having the poor cat FRONT and BACK paw declawed!
  • Moofey
    Moofey Posts: 444
    Options
    My cousin and I talked and shes completely cool with my cat, bearded dragon and crested gecko :) I thought I was the only one who had problems killing bugs! Glad I'm not the only one!
  • Moofey
    Moofey Posts: 444
    Options
    Strong opinions, I have seen some HORRIBLE animal abuse and never really thought of declawing as animal abuse BUT that was just because I never owned a cat before and was never really aware. Man some of the things I saw caused me to lose my appitite for 3 days :( Poor animals!
  • jamie78
    jamie78 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Won't it cost $200 or more to get your cat declawed anyway? So really, no savings and one very hurt and upset kitty.
    Most vet offices do it for under a 100 depending on where you live.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    .........so, Tango keeps his nails? :smile:
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    don't dewclaw!!!! My cat has about 27 claws, and has never scratched a baby. Actually we had to get a few removed as they were ingrown, she she is down to about 25. I drew on her with sharpie to only take the non-functioning painful ones. and "not this paw"
  • kennethmgreen
    Options
    My cousin and I talked and shes completely cool with my cat
    OK. Then why did you start this thread?

I'm not trying to be mean or snarky or combative. Or dense. Genuinely curious.

Here is your original post:
    Okay, I really don't know how I feel about my little Tango getting declawed but I will be moving into an apartment with my cousin pretty soon who has a 2 year old and also the deposit for a cat with claws is 500 and one without claws is 300. :( I don't want to hurt him but there is alot at risk (he is 8-12 months)
    The mother of the child is completely cool with your cat. It can't be a financial issue, because it sounds like the cost of the procedure will make the difference in deposits negligible.

What's the problem?
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    My cousin and I talked and shes completely cool with my cat
    OK. Then why did you start this thread?

I'm not trying to be mean or snarky or combative. Or dense. Genuinely curious.
    Perhaps in the last four hours since this post was started, she and her cousin had a talk and cleared up the issue so its a non issue now? Just a guess. :flowerforyou:
  • jamie78
    jamie78 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Right now is the best age to do it. Kittens handle it much better then adult cats. and there is no need to do the back claws. You really only need the front ones done. That way if he ever does get out he can still climb a tree or a fence if something is after him.
    I worked a vet tech for almost 8 years, and most cats do just fine with the surgery and heal quickly. Make sure you use shredded paper for the litter box or the pine litter for atleast a week. so the paws do not get infected.
    Most vet will give you a pain killer to help with the pain make sure you ask the vet if they do or not before the procedure. If they do not then I would find a vet at does, or offer to pay more for some. Most vets will use Metacam (meloxicam) But in low doses. Pain meds are kinda hard on cats and should be given only prescription drugs straight from the vet. Anything we have as humans is highly toxic for them.
    All in all it is a painful surgery but it is well worth it when your kitty gets to stay in and does not tear your furniture or the kids up. if you have any questions please feel free to inbox me.

Complete and UTTER B.S! There is NO good reason to do it. Period. It is barbaric and inhumane. The fact you are advocating it and falsely putting out B.S. about it is hugely troubling.

There are long term effects to health of the cat-it's where many of its touch censors are that it needs, declawing can lead to arthritis and litter box problems.

I just drove 1000 km to pick up a cat that was abandoned to a kill shelter because the owner decided the cat was having sporadic litter box problems. (I volunteer for a no-kill shelter that will take the cat back--thankfully, he was micro-chipped, and the kill shelter called us in time to save the cat).

Turns out the cat was having litter box problems because the barbaric, inhumane owner violated the terms of her adoption contract by having the poor cat FRONT and BACK paw declawed!
    I never told her to do it.. I even informed her about how painful it can be. I am not really for or against it.
    all I did was give her information! And the only way they are going to have problems like that is if some whack job does it.. I am not going to argue with anyone about it. I do not think you should ever remove the back claws.. I always tried to talk people out of it.
    People are going to do what they are going to do whether its declawing a cat or docking a dogs tail, or cropping a dogs ears. Its better to have info in your hands and have knowledge about what you are doing before hand then not.
    FYI I have never seen a cat have problems using a litter box because it was declawed... and I have seen, worked on and have dealt with thousands of cats.
  • kennethmgreen
    Options
    Perhaps in the last four hours since this post was started, she and her cousin had a talk and cleared up the issue so its a non issue now? Just a guess. :flowerforyou:
    Oh. Well, I guess I can still be dense without trying. Thanks for pointing that out. I read the statement differently (like they had talked when planning to move in together), but you are probably right. Makes sense now.
This discussion has been closed.