WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2021

Replies

• bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    edited August 2021
    BARBARA, can you give me a brand or a couple of brands for the Niacinimide ? I thought of getting it on line when my dermatologist erroneously said it doesn't exist in pill form in France, but there's a real market of fake pills, so I preferred to get the 1st batch at the pharmacy; if you know a good reliable brand and seller I'd be interested!!

MRIS/Claustraphobia
    I can sometimes feel closed in. I dislike being in rooms without windows, a bit more than the average person. It makes me antsy. I always take the aisle in planes and trains- I can get up when I want to pee also. I prefer it to the window view and having the wall to rest against in planes. And I get fed up quick if closed in for a long time otherwise (trains...), and don't do great with wearing masks for long.
    But I don't have any issue with MRIs. I have had a few. The 1st ones I found just interesting. I was glad and fascinated to get this image of inside with the radiation from x-rays. The last one I had was just a few months after I had taken a friend for MRI due to prostate cancer. he was very very stressed out about MRI and then cancer diagnosis too of course. It was in the hospital his grandma and maybe ma had recently gone. His mom had just died 2 months previously, he was an only child of totally single mother. So he was pretty upset all around.
    So the next time I had to get an MRI about a month or 2 later, I felt much more uneasy. It was also in COVID times. I had to remove my shoes and everything and wear plastic baggie type things around my feet, in this cellar place and I was COLD, so that was all part of the experience! I felt stressed by all of that and cancelled the following appointment due to the stress.
    I got very quick results which were good results. (She said an anomaly in ovary that had looked suspicious for a few years and had been watched for a few years, was just a scar.)

That time they gave me music. They might have given a choice of music, I'm not sure; (pop, classic or xxx), but I found the music a bit annoying.
    FALLING ASLEEP
    I never fell asleep in an MRI for sure! It's about 10-20 min max and very noisy! The music, if they have it doesn't drown out the massive vibrations!

I have fallen half a sleep at densists for moment when I have a very long session and local anesthesia.

I fell asleep many times at the osteopath, which he says is not unusual; to the point where my insomniac friend said, can you give me the number of the osteopath who makes you sleep! :D

I used to fall asleep very easily! Especially at night. I could fall right to sleep the whole night in the night trains with 6 strangers in a compartment and so on.
    I used to occasionally fall alseep on the subway and miss my stop. I think I was overworking or not having balanced diet or both. Overwork and running around non-stop from morning to night can definitely make it easier to crash when one does touch the bed.
    I was an excellent sleeper throughout my life till the age of 45 or so. since then I have had early wake ups or all sorts of sleep issues often! Sometimes I sleep only 5hours and it does not feel like enough and then I'm tired in the afternoon.

during my good sleep years I was very much a morning or early morning person.
    now I'm still working on finding my groove.
    the night before last I went to sleep at about 10 or 11 which is already good and then woke at about 3:30. This is not uncommon. Then last night, I did the same and then fell back asleep after maybe an hour, till 9am!! that is not common at all, but since I've had many very short nights I figured its not bad.
    I awoke groggy, which is quite a problem.
    that's why I go to a café.

Walking the 12 min round trip to the café and having an espresso and preferably a conversation, seems to get me into gear a bit for the day.not amazingly but better than if I don't go. I used to jog when I could and that worked great. I used to walk but since COVID or something I find it too boring or lonely or something, to go for that same walk that seemed lovely for 20 years! Though if I listen to a podcast it seems fine. but I don't like spending my whole life with earphones on! I almost never listen to music, and I question having earphones on all the time when out and about. between that and screens it seems a way to cut us off from others.

MACHKA
    did your nighttime cycle start when you moved to Australia - as if you stayed on a Canadian time zone cycle? or have you always been a night time person, even when a child or young adult in Canada?

Today I ran into my philosophy teacher café-friend, M, again. We always have a lot to say. since we are both teachers and both had some similar work issues (but both like teaching), there is a lot of common ground.
    I left to come back home to work.

WISH ME LUCK, COURAGE MOTIVATION, ETC

Grateful
    Café
    coffee
    quiet today (no construction workers outside at present!)
    positive medical results
    health care
    things picking up again socially as august winds down
    fresh fruit
    soy yogurt
    peaceful countries at peace, relatively speaking
    women can go out and walk around, work, own property, vote, etc.

Good things done yesterday
    clean
    stayed around 1100 calories gross
    got 15m exercise high HR on recumbent
    got stuff from pharmacy
    signed up for blinkist
    listened to audio philosophy book synopses (15 min max per synopsis) online rather than doing things that seem more futile
    exchanged sms with old friend who was feeling down giving a bit of support
    felt pretty calm yesterday
    avoided anything a long the lines of flirting. the friend is very old bf from college days. we were sort of serious in a way, and in any case stayed friends over the years, sometimes not being in touch for a few years, but pretty much mostly staying connected from time to time, visiting one another here and there as we moved around. I'm thinking when he feels depressed he might be inclined to look for attention from an old ex-GF to get his spirits up. Though he is mostly pretty clear about being happily married, committed etc. He might have the odd moment of looking for attention to compensate for his existential uneasiness. I stayed in friend placid, supportive friend-zone. :D

Not done yesterday
    producing pages!

To do today
    Track, average 1100 calories
    15 min on recumbent at 115 hr at least
    >>>>>*****produce at least 10 pages*******<<<<< :)<3o:)B):o<3:)
    write to guy and cancel Monday appointment.
    forward results to GP
    meditate 5-15 min

"To not do" today (one blinkist book said to make a "not to do" list as well as "to do" list
    Waste time on online leisure things during daytime. (watching videos clips, etc)
    eat too much starch, sugar, sweets
    indulge in fear of negative results to something
    spend much time thinking of futile things
    ruminate at length as way to avoid work :D<3o:)>:):/:D:)

Feel chills again. it feels stress-related!
    but also it's a bit chilly out at present, relative to what it has been. low 60s.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,828 Member
    9zc2iucm19z3.png

Someone added the following:
    8. Realising that the future is not going to be as we imagined, or losing access to the future we had planned.

I would also add:
    9. Ambiguous loss.

Most of the places I've reached out to for advice or support don't address all or any of these forms of grief.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,828 Member
    MACHKA
    did your nighttime cycle start when you moved to Australia - as if you stayed on a Canadian time zone cycle? or have you always been a night time person, even when a child or young adult in Canada?

Since I was a teen. :)

M in Oz

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,519 Member
    Iiiiiii
  • bananasandoranges
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    <3
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    😻😼😽
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Rebecca – We are temporarily without a dog. I miss our old boy, Schooner, every day. He slept in his doggy bed on the floor beside my side of our bed. We will be travelling this fall and will wait until we’re home again to look for a new puppy. :star: I love photo of Athena the toe sucker! :smiley:

Tracey – I hope your DH’s doctor visit will be productive and he will be okay. :heart:

Rori – I’m happy that your friend will be coming for a visit next month. Sending my love your way. :heart:

Katla in NW Oregon
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member

It reminds me that storing other people's prized belongings in boxes represents stagnant energy and is best dealt with in a thoughtful and practical way. My mother's sewing table was sitting in my family room for years. I finally gave it to a young woman whose grandmother had just died. The woman kept her grandmother's sewing machine and was learning to sew, and needed a sewing table. I thought it would be impossible to give away my mother's sewing table, but I was wrong. It gave me a lot of joy to gift it.

Karen in Virginia

Karen
    What a wonderful way of putting "boxed items of precious memories" into perspective! I've actually been living this in our last 2 moves. I'm down from a full room of boxes to just 4 in this home. As we consider our retirement move I've been evaluating what to carry with us. It's not easy but very freeing!

Cheri
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    B)
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,682 Member
    edited August 2021
    Well ladies I am back from my booster jab,didnt hurt one bit and the nurse was very nice.. had to sit for 15 minutes but all was well and took the long way home which was a nice ride...
    I took some tylenol and im lying down now dont know if ill sleep but just to rest before I pick up Tal for the hairdresser later. We have Townwide tag sales this Saterday, so will look for stuff for the baby,but son in law is very very picky so will have to pick and choice if I do find anything
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,193 Member
    edited August 2021
    Carol - So sorry. <3 It must be very frustrating for you and for him. Pain sucks. Especially when you don't know what it is.
    My DH can be a little resistant to change, but can see reason if I don't nag him. ;) Sometimes I get frustrated, but I know I am lucky.
    You could always treat yourself to something for your anniversary. A lovely bunch of flowers?
    HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! :flowerforyou:

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited August 2021
    CarolHAPPY 52nd ANNIVERSARY!!! I am sorry that you are feeling low due to your DH’s need for crutches. I hope he feels better soon & you can celebrate your anniversary and have fun together sooner rather than later. :heart: :star::heart:

Allie – Good news that your booster shot didn’t hurt!! :star:

We’re having a quiet morning today. DH is in the process of making appointments for our car to be serviced. It is time for a tune up. :star:

We are planning our upcoming trip to VA for the birth of a new grandson in the fall. We will be there in November to take care of our grandson while our son and daughter-in-law go to the hospital to have a new baby. I hope we can visit our daughter and family in Illinois on our way home. :heart:

Katla
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,519 Member
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Rebecca – We are temporarily without a dog. I miss our old boy, Schooner, every day. He slept in his doggy bed on the floor beside my side of our bed. We will be travelling this fall and will wait until we’re home again to look for a new puppy. :star: I love photo of Athena the toe sucker! :smiley:

Tracey – I hope your DH’s doctor visit will be productive and he will be okay. :heart:

Rori – I’m happy that your friend will be coming for a visit next month. Sending my love your way. :heart:

Katla in NW Oregon

I know how you feel with your poop her not being there, I feel for you
  • bananasandoranges
    (((Carol))) happy anniversary! a little treat for yourself would seem reasonable indeed, whatever it be. when in a serious couple my bf was not at all into valentines day. one time I bought a tiny little 1/2 person-ish strawberry tart from the bakery. we were very frugal then so that was a treat. it was nice! on my B-day I ordered a "detox juice" from the café in addition to the espresso: a glass of fresh cantaloupe-pineapple- cucumber juice mix. tiniest little discreet treats. cut flowers can be nice too. I sometimes buy a lily with several flowers. It's like a bouquet in 1 stalk, so economical too!

(((Beth))) It seems like losing someone often very dear, or even less dear sometimes, involves wishing one had done one or another thing at least slightly differently. That's my experience anyway. I believe that you did the very best you could and that you put so much of yourself into taking care of him.