WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2021

Options

Replies

• bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    I am dragging. I don't know if it's physical or other or a mix.

1. Go to café
    2. housework (15-60 min)
    3. Prep drs' appointments
    4. work on digging up and sending pictures promised (it'll take several hours)
    5. writing if time
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    <3
  • bananasandoranges
    edited August 2021
    Options
    IRONING QUESTIONS

do you iron?
    how much (about how long per week-ish?)
    if not how do you get away without it?

most of my clothes are cotton or - in summer- some linen and nearly all seems to need to be ironed.

I used to not iron at all for decades and had some wrinkly clothes! :D
    now I iron but I find it time-consuming!
    usually I keep up but yesterday I had a massive amount to do.

presumably more long sleeves, etc, means- more inches of ironing to do in the summer anyway.

I have some friends who don't iron at all and seem to not have very wrinkly clothes. I don't know how they manage.
    I'm pretty sure they don't wear 100% synthetics...

maybe having a dryer makes clothes less wrinkly. I wash and put out to dry on drying wrack because

air drying:
    “will save money, reduce wear-and-tear of clothing from tumbling in the dryer, and ease concern about ruining clothing.”

1. not much space for a dryer
    2. it's MUCH more ecological
    3. economic (no electricity, nor machine purchase) This is tiny in the scale as if time is saved, sometimes money is saved.
    4. It's said to make clothes last longer

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,899 Member
    Options
    IRONING QUESTIONS

do you iron?
    how much (about how long per week-ish?)
    if not how do you get away without it?

most of my clothes are cotton or - in summer- some linen and nearly all seems to need to be ironed.

I used to not iron at all for decades and had some wrinkly clothes! :D
    now I iron but I find it time-consuming!
    usually I keep up but yesterday I had a massive amount to do.

presumably more long sleeves, etc, means- more inches of ironing to do in the summer anyway.

I have some friends who don't iron at all and seem to not have very wrinkly clothes. I don't know how they manage.
    I'm pretty sure they don't wear 100% synthetics...

maybe having a dryer makes clothes less wrinkly. I wash and put out to dry on drying wrack because

air drying:
    “will save money, reduce wear-and-tear of clothing from tumbling in the dryer, and ease concern about ruining clothing.”

1. not much space for a dryer
    2. it's MUCH more ecological
    3. economic (no electricity, nor machine purchase) This is tiny in the scale as if time is saved, sometimes money is saved.
    4. It's said to make clothes last longer

I own 3 or 4 irons. Put one in a cupboard and it seems to multiply!! Seriously though, it's like how we've got multiples of just about everything ... I brought one into the relationship, he brought one into the relationship, we put them into storage and moved, but didn't get our stuff out of storage for a while, so we bought one. And I think the previous tenant in one place left several things like an iron, a kettle, dishes, etc. which we amalgamated into our stuff.

My husband or I iron about once or twice a year. He'll do dress shirts if he needs one for a special event but of course in recent years we haven't had many special events. I will occasionally do a dress or something.

I hang dry everything. We don't own a drying machine. Most of the time I hang dry things inside but if it is actually nice out and a bit windy, I'll hang things outside.

When I hang things, I make sure they are smooth. I button shirts and tug all the way around to make sure everything is straight and smooth. If I'm hanging from the bottom, I make sure the collars are up and straight. If I'm hanging from the top, the collars are folded properly. I run my hands over them to smooth out wrinkles when I'm hanging them.

I refuse to buy anything linen. Linen was really popular last summer. I hope that was it and it goes away now. It's a horrible fabric!

I wear a lot of Cotton-Elastane or Modal/Elastane or bamboo.

Along these lines or short-sleeved or sleeveless varieties sometimes in layers. A good shake, a bit of smoothing of edges and they hang nicely. No ironing required.

https://www.target.com.au/p/modal-elastane-crew-neck-t-shirt/64643793 - (Modal-Elastane)

73v5rsxqr9xn.png

https://www.target.com.au/p/isabel-boat-neck-top/64456164 - (Cotton/Modal/Elastane)

zroomupnhz93.png

Machka in Oz
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    MACHKA thanks!
    ha ha ha about the irons multiplying; I'm happy to say I just have one. I have other things that multiply though! I have about 10 pairs of scissors! sometimes they come in handy in the very RARE times when I can ask students to cut something up. I also have many screwdrivers and a few hammers and 2 or 3 pairs of wcrecutters. And 2 or 3 tape measures...Granted the screwdrivers are not all identical, but there may be a couple of doubles. I used to have a big country house fixer-upper which would explain ample tools, plus also was in the city apartment working so needed a minimum of tools there too (at least a couple of screw drivers and a hammer...)

I laughed out loud reading that you have 4 irons but only iron about 1x a year!

Blends are the best. I need to keep an eye out for them. I wasn't thinking when I bought the latest linen clothes.
    I find it quite pretty and very inexpensive and very comfortable in summer, but it's not the non-ironer's friend!

I bought this dress, possibly on sale, https://www.uniqlo.com/fr/fr/product/robe-longue-en-lin-melange-sans-manches-femme-433662.html?dwvar_433662_color=COL26&dwvar_433662_size=SMA001&cgid=IDlinenblend2820&hassubcat=false and it worked quite nicely ironing aside, it's a bit more maxi-dress on me since I'm of 5'2" which works fine for me. Then with the need to cover skin I bought 2 more, so I have 1 in each color. with a shirt/sweater/ect, to cover arms.

It was a quick easy solution. But requires ironing. and maxidress=maxi ironing! I'm not a detail-oriented ironer though, thank goodness! I'll have to keep an eye more for blends. I needed quick solutions and didn't have much time energy motivation to shop!
  • bananasandoranges
    edited August 2021
    Options
    I'm not sure if I'm good with wearing long sleeve Ts to work. I'm teacher in higher ed. we can wear what we want but it's helpful I find sometimes to be a wee bit more dressed up. but t shirt stretch material in another cut would really work for me! I have this woven looking jacket that's as soft and comfy as a sweatshirt!

We don't have any target here. We do have comparable brands, but I need to check them out.
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    I didn't track yesterday because I went over! I think I'm having trouble tracking because I'm having trouble not going over!

I quickly had up to 800 calories, then had a small banana and then later some bread and cheese and another half avocado. I was so far over I didn't want to write it down! :D:/>:):'(:o:#:D
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    Okay a new day.
    decent start according to MFP
    Calories 210
    Carbs 17
    Fat 8
    Protein 15
    Iron 3
    Vit A 0

• bananasandoranges
    Options
    yesterday's todos

-Call dermatologists (hospital or office care one) to try to get appointment and follow up info/appointment for scar care, and info about 2nd biopsy results. YES SUCCESSFUL FOR APPOINTMENTS
    -Exercise 30 min at least 20 MINUTES LIGHT NOT COUNTING CLEANING
    -30 min cleaning/tidying YES 60 MINUTES
    -Writing NOPE
    -paperwork NOPE

-appointment with generalist YES SUCCESSFUL
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,899 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if I'm good with wearing long sleeve Ts to work. I'm teacher in higher ed. we can wear what we want but it's helpful I find sometimes to be a wee bit more dressed up. but t shirt stretch material in another cut would really work for me! I have this woven looking jacket that's as soft and comfy as a sweatshirt!

We don't have any target here. We do have comparable brands, but I need to check them out.

We rarely have to dress up too much, but I can throw a jacket over a shirt like the ones I've posted and appear more dressed up. I usually wear them with skirts (usually black skirts).

I have several in different colours from several different department stores ... and quite a few plain black ones to wear under sleeveless tops and dresses similar to the one you linked to (but not linen).

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,225 Member
    Options
    Julie - the one I'm watching is about a kosher butchers taking up cannabis growing. Definitely fiction and very funny. It's been very good for my argot.

I never iron. I spend my life in leggings and t shirts, with the occasional knitted fabric dress. If it needs ironing, I don't buy it. DH irons his own shirts, which he rarely wears. He's a t shirt and sweater man. I don't have a dryer.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,611 Member
    Options
    :)
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,711 Member
    Options
    Morning Ladies
    Well Alfie is fed and in watching the local news.. yes Will look up some ideas on Alfies barking..alot of it i think is territorial..but will for sure look in to it
    Using the Cpap seems to be working but still having weird dreams and sleeping like 10 hrs at night but sometimes wake up for a bit,but am able to go back to sleep easier..I go back to the sleep center next month so they can tell me how its working..
    Ticking down the days until Thursday to find out the gender of the baby.. Tracy and Kyle especially with all the covid arent the big Gender Reveal kind so we will find out right away,im sure she will let me know as soon as she gets out of the ultrasound..
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,558 Member
    Options
    Kkkkk
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    :)
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    📚🍿🎁
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,959 Member
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    Got home and right after the daycare girl came in I was talking to dh- looked out the window to the catio and one of the cats was outside- the kids mom didn't close the front screen door all the way or the kid opened in. I came in the living room and it was wide open.
    Cant get the cat to come back in- too scared- first time since we caught him as a kitten that he has been out side- Hoping I can get him to come back in the catio(other cats are inside and the window to it is closed).He was hanging around it because his sister was there but when I tried to catch him again-he ran off.
    DH is sure he is gone for good- such a pessimist@

At over 7,000 steps already and have zumba tonight- Will get my steps in for sure today.
    Time to get something to eat- been busy and just noticed the time.

I will now continue reading to try and catch up- on page 38 now.

Have a great day.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA

DEBBIE I would say if you put out food and maybe especially milk you might get him or her back soon, or his or her special food. Back in the 80s, the sound of the electric can opener would get one cat to come running.
    It doesn't sound like it's related to your night away but we my dad had one cat who would hide and not come around for about 2 days when my dad went away for a couple of days. He would come back to eat food at night but not show his face for a couple of days, like he was getting back at my dad for leaving him alone. It doesn't sound like the same dynamic here. If your cat is happy at home there is a very good chance the cat will come back.
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    Terri thanks for the butter recommendation. I have a prescription for anti-scar cream so I suppose I will use that. I don't know if I can use both. That might be iffy.

dh found the best thing for his scars after double hip replacement(twice) was to use Vit. E oil . That is what his doctor recomended. It really helped.

I'll see the dermatologists today and ask her her point of view.
    exermom wrote: »

Julie – Vince never wears sunscreen when we’re out cutting the grass (weeds). Me? I’m helping keep Coppertone’s stock up.

Michele NC

I've been reading that melanoma is more common in men than women. I can't help thinking it's because men might wear less sun screen (and are maybe outside more on average - w construction jobs, etc.).

Got Miso back in by getting the other cats back in the house, closing the catio window and opening the door to it-
    BUT, can't blame the daycare kid or her mom for leaving the door open because a little after 5 this morning, my son woke me up to tell me he was out AGAIN.- so, in the dark I did the same thing and waited. He came back into the catio and was waiting at the window to come in. Catio is now off limits until I can find the whole. He is now sleeping on the top of my desk.

I hope your doctor says it is ok to try the Vit.E oil. Mom used it on her surgery scar on her shoulder too. Both said the scar is not as big and is softer after using it.
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,959 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s

Debbie sorry all your plantings are disappointing. “… spending time WITH mom is more important than doing chores” Yes! Way more important. Sending “calm and come home” vibes to that wayward cat. ((hugs)).
    Welcome @klt052194 ! Would you let us know what you’d like to be called and your general locale?
    [
    Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    August: leaner/stronger/kinder than July.
    daily: sit with Joe: 14, weigh/wii: 16/0/0; steps>6704=7023 vits=16, log=16, CI<CO=15, CI<250<CO=11, Tumble=9, Shadow=15, mfp=16, outside=19, up hill=18, clean 10=6.
    wkly: Sun: Mon: Tue:LD YH=1, Wed:TC=2, PW=2. Thurs: Fri:TC=2. Sat:PW=2. rX x4=2.
    wt=1/31:141.3 2/28:142.4 3/31:145.3 4/30:141.5 5/31:142.4 6/30:141.5 7/31:140.2!!! 8/1:141.3 8/8:140.4 8/15:141.5 :rage:
    mnthly: board mtg=1, grant=, plan=, waist=42.0
    bonus: AF:10 play= sew=
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW

Thank you- Changing MY mind set in regards to mom has made such a difference in me- total peace/calm which is NEEDED!
    Got Miso back in but was woken up very early by my son that Miso was out again- He is now back in, the catio is off limits to all the cats until I can find where he is escaping and fix it.

Had two cups of tea, will be switching to coffee next- going to be a long day