WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2021

Options

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,774 Member
    Options
    Homoe is snoring away,so know he is a happy camper.. Alfie is snoozing too,only until an animal comes an animal comes on tv ,yes will check out collars..
    Im getting soooo excited for Tracy and Kyle tomorrow they will find out the gender of the baby..
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,649 Member
    Options
    Hi Gals,
    Machka, no I have my signature done, but I am thinking in about 1/3 of the emails I need to add my address, in half or so I need to add payments I will accept…. So it’s not the same for each email but it’s consistent enough that it could help.
    What have I saved from school… well I have been over the years a scrapbooker and I have all 4 years of university – pictures, a few mementos, a few diary like entries about big things that happened. Then I have one book – it was a text book but written by my favorite professor so I saved that. Elementary and High School are in 2or 3 scrapbooks, same format as University, with the exception of a 5th grade project (I was about 10 years old) I wrote a paper about the California Gold Rush, it’s about 60 pages long and I visited 35 of the gold rush towns and took pictures and wrote a short history of each one. I have used it to plan areas to visit…
    What is not in those scrapbooks is the non-school stuff so family vacations, summer break, Christmas…. All of that is separate.

Allie – I got pushed into a shock collar (by the trainer) for Levi soon after he came to live with me, he was so out of control… I was able to set it at the lowest level, which against my skin was kinda like someone lightly snapping a rubber band against you, and used it for only a month or so and he got the picture…
    Kim
    In smoky Northern California
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    Hmm. Apparently I have borderline bad kidney function as well as high cholesterol. Time to get more serious about diet and exercise.

Annie in Delaware
    Wow Annie, I hope that that evolves positively. Did they give you some instructions to "take care" of your kidneys?

Machka, that makes sense
  • bananasandoranges
    edited August 2021
    Options
    I went at 4:30 for sleep apnea testing machine with they taped on. and put a thing down to a machine on my wrist, I have to sleep with a clip on my finger (like the clip used to test hr and oxygen at hospitals). and things in my nostrils and around my ears, like in the picture in the spoiler - found online. blehk. I'll see how that goes.

and I had to tell them what time I was going to sleep. I had no idea, but all decked out with machines and tubes I figured I wouldn't be painting the town red. they said I could watch a movie but had to be in bed at that time as they turn on the machine at that time. blehk.
    b6vbxtjq70r3.png
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Allie – Have you considered getting Alfie a muzzle? Put it on him when he is yappy and tell him he is a good boy while he is quiet. Take the muzzle off and praise him. If he starts yapping again, put it back on. It will take effort for you because you’re so kind hearted. Yapping is irritating to many people, especially in situations where people live close together, such as your condo community. Cloth muzzles are not painful for the dog. You might also go to your veterinarian for doggie tranquilizers. :flowerforyou:

Machka & Bananas – I rarely iron. My clothes come out of the dryer ready to hang up. Those that are not dryer friendly hang on a rack over a heat vent. In winter, the temperature of the vent is warm but this time of year it is airconditioned, cool air. The hanging clothes dry in the cool air just fine. :star:

Allie - Having a baby gender reveal is positive and fun. What a rare treat! Our son and DDIL are having a baby this fall. They already know the baby’s gender. We plan to be there to babysit our grandson while they are at the hospital for the birth. :heart:

KP from Sunrise Beach Missouri - Welcome! What a beautiful photo!! :flowerforyou:

Karen in VA – Your brother’s art is beautiful! :bigsmile:

Machka – Our next-door neighbor has a cat and I’ve never seen it. It lives in the house and doesn’t go outside. Raccoons have been a nuisance animal in our neighborhood in the past but were eventually eliminated. One of their favorite meals was feral cats. We had a neighbor who fed the raccoons inside her home, with them going inside for food. She moved away several years ago and we haven’t been troubled with raccoons for a long while. :smiley:

Re college experiences - I cherish the memories from college days at the University of Oregon. :heart:

I am nearly done knitting my baby blanket and hope I get it finished soon. The baby is not due for several months. DH & I will go to our son and daughter-inlaw’s home to take care of our grandson while our son & daughter-in-law go to the hospital for the birth. :heart:

We have a quiet morning so far. :bigsmile:

Katla in NW Oregon
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,320 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Machka I got moved up the gallbladder ladder after I was taken to ER. It seems to concentrate their minds. :D
    In the UK at the moment the waiting lists are extra long because of the covid backup.

Going to have mushroom omelette tonight. One of our favourite things. I've borrowed the method from Elizabeth David. Dessert is stewed apricots and homemade yoghurt.

My friend G has had an offer for her apartment in York. I hope she takes it and doesn't spend more months/years dithering. It will release money for her to go travelling and gallivanting (which she wants) before she gets too old. She is 72. She can live in her small apartment in Portsmouth, which is owned by her son. She retired last month. She finds decisions almost impossible to make. :|

Love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,092 Member
    Options
    Julie- no the doctor didn't give any specific advice, but it's all available online. I just have to be sure I read reputable medical sites and not those that sell supplements. I need a little less protein and a lot more exercise. And less sugar.

Annie in Delaware
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,774 Member
    Options
    Katla- i have been reading a bit, and from what i can figure ,the poor lil guy is bored,..he needs to play and run and have fun and unless i take him to doggy daycare I dont have the stamina for that.I love him with all my heart and i will not rehome him.. but will look into other alternatives..
    Tracy and Kyle have basically have isolated themselves from anyone except there close family and even then that just includes Taliah... Kyle has 2 brothers and they dont really get along so a very fractured family.. and I have to pull things out of Tracy unless she needs something then she texts me..
    You already know my personality so its very hard for me to see my children live innsuch solitude, as do i lately.. im so social, but covid hasn't helped .
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,092 Member
    Options
    I walked 24 minutes. Yay!
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Allie--Your body has been though a lot this last year and needs time to recoup. Take it as you feel and don't worry about not getting a lot done at this time. Taking care of yourself should be first.

Julie--I would get the second doctor's take on your case. For your own peace of mind.

Kylia--Sending prayers and hugs. I agree it sounds like it is about to get real!

Well I have 3 people apply for my open position so setting up interviews. I am hoping to get someone hired in the next week. Not thrilled I have to asked if they have the vaccine shot as that is now condition of employment. DH and I get our first one at the clinic this Friday. He has jury duty today and has told them he has this appointment so will see how that works out. One of our granddaughters are also in this group for the jury. After this month his 3 months are done and he will not have to go again.

Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND NE <3
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,008 Member
    Options
    evie1958 wrote: »
    Alllie, our son and daughter in law have a thing for their dog, it's a collar and there is a machine that emits a high pitched (only the dog can hear it) noise that apparently the dogs aren't supposed to like and it's supposed to stop them from barking so much. I'm not sure it works, but..... I also have no idea how much it costs, but I know how frustrated and annoyed I get when dogs in our neighborhood are barking. Of course when they're outside it's worse because they all feed off each other!
    Kylia, I'm so sorry that you're having such a tough time at work, both hubby and sis in law need their eyes opened! Maybe your vacay will do the trick! Will hubby be off then too? If so, he may not figure it out.....
    Kelly, good for you for exploring the vaccines and their effectiveness. Just want to say that hubby and I both got Pfizer and while he was tired and a bit out of sorts for a few days, my only reaction was to the second shot and it was only a sore arm for a day or two. I went for a 20 km bike ride the day after the second shot!
    Debbie, I sure hope you can find the spot the Miso is sneaking out of! Darn cats, I remember calling and calling for one one day, she didn't come and I was getting quite upset, I was out on the patio, still calling and looking, turned around and there she was in the house! I still have no idea where she was, I had already searched the house.... Another time, it was getting late and the cat had gone deaf (different cat), so calling her was useless, I went around with a flashlight, looking under sheds, vehicles (in the parking lot next door), again have no idea where she was, she just sauntered up the sidewalk (in our yard) like everything was just fine. If I ever get another cat, it will strictly be an inside one!
    Lots more that I wanted to comment on, but didn't think to take notes or anything. It's late, I'm tired and really should have been in bed an hour ago! Fortunately, I'm off work this week and can't really go anywhere as the places I would go have way too many fires happening, highways have even been closed and tourists are being asked to stay away, so I have decided to listen to them and stay home. But that does mean that I get to sleep in! Or at least try to....
    Hugs to those needing them, congrats to those celebrating and welcome to the newbies!
    Evelyn on Vancouver Island

Finally got Miso back in the house about midnight. Got to sleep a little after dh went to work at 1, got woken up 15 min. later when Shima started coughing up hairballs.
    Dh went out this morning and hopefully fixed it so he can't get out and will be getting a heavy duty tarp to cover the top(it gets covered during the winter-during the summer it is screen and lath and 2x2) No rain coming yet but might as well cover it now so it is ready for winter and will help keep him in.
    I am just glad that he comes back and each time he does, he is less scared when he is back in the house- still very afraid when he is outside.
    3 escapes in 36 hrs is too much.
    Our one cat that is allowed outside I used to stay up late trying to get him in every night but he is a bit of a jerk. He sees me coming and sits under the car so I can't reach him. Most nights I get him in but a few nights none of us can. We worry about him and I still try each time I wake up during the night- walking around the front yard in my night gown trying to get him. No more staying up late, just to catch him. He stays in the front yard most of the time. None of the other cats are allowed outside.

Debbie
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    darn Miso- just checked and he is out AGAIN_ we thought we had fixed the little spot he got out and he pushed his way through. Now I have to stay up and let him in when he gets back in the catio- then it will be closed for the night until we can really take the top down and fix it a lot better and put the tarp back over it.
    Been up since a little after 5 AM because of him and now it is almost 10:30 and still up, because of him.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA

Does the cat have a lifespan? - After a certain number of years its likely to have weak bits all over? It must befairly big if you can't find the hole!

[/spoiler]

The catio is just two years old. Miso is a small(thin build) cat. I had the window open less than three inches and he was able to get back in the house through that. The whole he pushed the wire at the corner on the top(has to climb the screen to get up to it). We check it at least once a month so this is something new he did.
    The first time we were sure it was from the daycare kid or her mom leaving the front door open- She did leave it open but that is not how he got out.
  • dlfk202000
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

Yes many cats, and a couple of dogs, but no catio! Cats were always free to roam in yard and neighbourhood. Unless attacked by another critter or hit by a car or very very ill (poisoned?) they always came back in their sweet time. Mostly always there but occasionally they could be away for a day/night.
    Back in the days before dogs were all fixed, in my very early childhood in the 60s, our wonderful faithful "good-dog" male pointer would disappear for 3 weeks every mating season and then come back like clockwork after having sown his wild oats.
    Cats can get through spaces as big as their sculls, squishing the rest of the body through.

A big reason for the catio is we live on a pretty busy street and have seen cats hit and killed in front of our house, including the sibling to the escape artist PLUS we have a mean neighbor who told my husband that even though he knows the black cat is ours and the tabby we are feeding, he was planning on catching both of them and taking them to the pound/shelter to get rid of them because he didn't like cats in his yard. That day Shiro came in the house for the first time after being a feral/outside only cat for many years.
    In the catio- they get the fresh air and can look around the garden and back yard, they can climb around but they can't get out and no critters can come in (we have raccoons,possum,skunks)

Here is a picture of the catio- before the roof was reinforced.

sofr4f534agr.png
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,320 Member
    Options
    DH pronounced my omelette "superb" :p It was.

I'm really proud of him. He has been very wheezy at night for the last few weeks and it worries him. He was reading in bed at 5 this morning when I went to the loo. I gently suggested (that works best) that it might be an idea to see the doctor. Then I left it up to him. He did the online practice questionnaire and it said to ring them. That is easier said than done. Huge backlogs. So he did the 111 online questionnaire and they said he had covid. If he has, it is going on for months!!! So, without my saying anything, he sat down and typed up a letter to his GP and then took it up to the surgery to hand deliver it. Great idea! <3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    KATLIA wow for the neighbours feeding raccoons inside! They are said to be huge pests. I never had to deal with any - none here- but I've had other pests. My brother had raccoon invasion near their garage for a while. they were apparently difficult to get rid of.

ALLIE what are some other alternatives?

ANNIE More exercise and less sugar sounds like good advice for many!

VICKI which second doctor? The oncodermotologist or the GP? I'm not sure what a 2nd Onco -dermatologist can do while the 1st is not giving results. Maybe they can press for results but I don't want to get the 1st ones angry...which they may well be if I ask for a 2nd opinion. I was planning to call them today and then didn't.
    darn Miso- just checked and he is out AGAIN_ we thought we had fixed the little spot he got out and he pushed his way through. Now I have to stay up and let him in when he gets back in the catio- then it will be closed for the night until we can really take the top down and fix it a lot better and put the tarp back over it.
    Been up since a little after 5 AM because of him and now it is almost 10:30 and still up, because of him.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA

Does the cat have a lifespan? - After a certain number of years its likely to have weak bits all over? It must befairly big if you can't find the hole!

[/spoiler]

The catio is just two years old. Miso is a small(thin build) cat. I had the window open less than three inches and he was able to get back in the house through that. The whole he pushed the wire at the corner on the top(has to climb the screen to get up to it). We check it at least once a month so this is something new he did.
    The first time we were sure it was from the daycare kid or her mom leaving the front door open- She did leave it open but that is not how he got out.

So he is making new holes? That seems tricky! Can you use thicker wire mesh?

HEATHER congratulations on the good omelet and also on your SO going to the doctor's.

• bananasandoranges
    edited August 2021
    Options
    HEALTH notes
    The new GP doesn't seem rushed for me to get results either!
    It's not reassuring. Basically squamous cell skin carcinoma can have very good prognosis IF treated very quickly. MOHS is often recommended for 2nd biopsy (that was my case in early august), and quick follow up is suggested in "invasive" (meaning with subcutaneous reaches) types. However it has a very bad prognosis if there is metastasis.
    I may try to see another of the past GPs to see if they will try to call the hospital to get results. I really miss my old really good GP.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,656 Member
    Options
    Stats for the day

Walk w/family- 2hrs 24min 47sec, 123elev, 3.31ap, 80ahr, 108mhr, 8.01mi= 718c
    Strava app = 971c
    Walk to gym- 10.30min, .53mi= 49c
    Strava app = 65c
    Spin bike at gym- 56.23min, 16.49amph, 123amph, 150mhr, 15.5mi= 478c
    Walk gym to home-11.12min, .53mi= 51c
    Strava app = 65c

Total cal 1296