GIFt us your lifts! (or other achievements!)

Options

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    I'm struggling with my lifting. I tried squats at 150 Monday (which used to be a normal weight range for me) but my legs just wouldn't cooperate. So I went back today and went at it a little differently. Any suggestions welcome.
    bsyyfff6mup1.jpg

I really hit a hard wall with stronglifts. My girlfriend suggested mixing it up more, and gave me access to a program her coach made for her to help her strength gains. (The program I posted on here). It's made a huge difference to my mindset (and my lifts).

Last night was week1 day 2 - squats.
    Because I'm early in this cycle, Squats were 4 sets of 8 at 70% of my 1rm. (So, in my case, 170lbs) The last two sets were AMAP at the same weight... so I did 170x8, 170x8, 170x9, 170x10.

The rest of the workout was accessory work...
    narrow leg presses - 3 sets of 15/12
    burnout leg extension - as heavy as you can go to push out 20 reps
    Reverse hyper - 3 sets of 15/12
    Burnout wide stance single dumbbell squat - one set of 20 reps

And then a super set of arms:
    ez bar curls / hammer curls - 3 sets of 12/8

Each day in the program is different, each week is different. The variety caused me anxiety at first, but the structure meant that when I failed it was because I was supposed to push to failure (instead of having a goal of x reps and failing because I wasn't strong enough).

Once I started failing in stronglifts...every single session was a grind. Am I going to fail? Am I strong enough?
    This perspective has made a huge shift in how I approach the lifts now.

Maybe a change up of programming could be helpful for you, too?

I don't have any machines, which is why my workouts tend to mirror stronglifts. I can try to change it up a bit, do some single leg work, something like that.

You're best bet is to run more advanced programming with more stimulus but allowing for recovery.

Different rep ranges, average intensity, lift selection, etc...

I can't stress how much auto regulation helps.

Staying away from AMRAP unless intelligently programmed.

What might this look like? I can't do AMRAP at this point anyway. I'm struggling after about 4 reps.

Do you have IG?
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling with my lifting. I tried squats at 150 Monday (which used to be a normal weight range for me) but my legs just wouldn't cooperate. So I went back today and went at it a little differently. Any suggestions welcome.
    bsyyfff6mup1.jpg

I really hit a hard wall with stronglifts. My girlfriend suggested mixing it up more, and gave me access to a program her coach made for her to help her strength gains. (The program I posted on here). It's made a huge difference to my mindset (and my lifts).

Because I'm early in this cycle, Squats were 4 sets of 8 at 70% of my 1rm. (So, in my case, 170lbs) The last two sets were AMAP at the same weight... so I did 170x8, 170x8, 170x9, 170x10.

Each day in the program is different, each week is different. The variety caused me anxiety at first, but the structure meant that when I failed it was because I was supposed to push to failure (instead of having a goal of x reps and failing because I wasn't strong enough).

Once I started failing in stronglifts...every single session was a grind. Am I going to fail? Am I strong enough?

I don't have any machines, which is why my workouts tend to mirror stronglifts. I can try to change it up a bit, do some single leg work, something like that.

You're best bet is to run more advanced programming with more stimulus but allowing for recovery.

What might this look like? I can't do AMRAP at this point anyway. I'm struggling after about 4 reps.

Until you know what kind of new program you want to do, what about dropping weights and doing a few extra reps and sets? When I hit the wall with stronglifts, I decided to try this and it did help. For me, I wanted to target moving the same volume, so I calculated that total, dropped my weights, and did more reps and sets to get me there.

So, for example... your last squats you did 3 sets of 5 @ 145 = 2175lbs and 2 sets of 6 @ 140 = 1680 pounds, for a total of 3855. What if you tried dropping the weight to 120lbs and did 4 sets of 8 (3840), or 5 sets of 7 at 110lbs (3850).

It may be worth trying the change up and seeing how it feels. :heart:
  • Chieflrg
    Options
    bsyyfff6mup1.jpg

Until you know what kind of new program you want to do, what about dropping weights and doing a few extra reps and sets? When I hit the wall with stronglifts, I decided to try this and it did help. For me, I wanted to target moving the same volume, so I calculated that total, dropped my weights, and did more reps and sets to get me there.

So, for example... your last squats you did 3 sets of 5 @ 145 = 2175lbs and 2 sets of 6 @ 140 = 1680 pounds, for a total of 3855. What if you tried dropping the weight to 120lbs and did 4 sets of 8 (3840), or 5 sets of 7 at 110lbs (3850).

In all due respect the tonage holds no importantance if we don't have a definition of exertion relating to it.

SL format really is sub optimal across the board once it's run it course. There simply is more efficient ways to drive progress.
  • Chieflrg
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Finishing up a reset block over the wekend instead of my preferred high intensity-low stress. I extended it a couple weeks as I'm try to time out a potential qualifying meet to compete at 2022 Worlds in Russia for the other tested fed.

It was a new experience to create this type of block for me personally Pretty cool watching my body recover through data a different way.

• KickassAmazon76
    Options
    bsyyfff6mup1.jpg

In all due respect the tonage holds no importantance if we don't have a definition of exertion relating to it.

SL format really is sub optimal across the board once it's run it course. There simply is more efficient ways to drive progress.

I know... I was just saying that because in the absence of a new program, dropping the weight can sometimes *feel* like a fail, even though you can often move MORE volume with more reps. It was more of a mental encouragement to realize she's not backsliding than a consideration to the physical benefit of such a plan.

Right now she's feeling discouraged in her mind, and I was just trying to offer an alternate that might offer a feeling of continued progress.

But I'm basing it on how my mind /emotions work, so I could be way off base as to whether it's helpful.

Personally I think a new program would be a good idea, but finding one that suits your abilities, time, and access to equipment is a daunting task for some. (At least... It was for me.)
  • Chieflrg
    Options
    bsyyfff6mup1.jpg

I know... I was just saying that because in the absence of a new program, dropping the weight can sometimes *feel* like a fail, even though you can often move MORE volume with more reps. It was more of a mental encouragement to realize she's not backsliding than a consideration to the physical benefit of such a plan.

Right now she's feeling discouraged in her mind, and I was just trying to offer an alternate that might offer a feeling of continued progress.

But I'm basing it on how my mind /emotions work, so I could be way off base as to whether it's helpful.

Personally I think a new program would be a good idea, but finding one that suits your abilities, time, and access to equipment is a daunting task for some. (At least... It was for me.)

Yes I realize that 👍. Though dropping the intensity isn't necessarily the best option depending on many variables. I'm not saying it's a poor option I'm saying without knowing more important details...it's more than likely not a choice by itself especially without context of load management first.

I'm looking to getting her more than a feeling of progress but actually a well structured plan that is tailored to more info than these forums govern.

• KickassAmazon76
    Options
    bsyyfff6mup1.jpg

Yes I realize that 👍. Though dropping the intensity isn't necessarily the best option depending on many variables. I'm not saying it's a poor option I'm saying without knowing more important details...it's more than likely not a choice by itself especially without context of load management first.

I'm looking to getting her more than a feeling of progress but actually a well structured plan that is tailored to more info than these forums govern.

and THAT is yet one more reason why I am a huge fan of yours. :smile:
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options

So much this...

And also this...not sure what to do now. Everything feels hard.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,428 Member
    Options

So much this...

Dumb question, but could your messed up finger be hurting so much it’s thrown you out of kilter?
  • DancingMoosie
    Options

So much this...

Dumb question, but could your messed up finger be hurting so much it’s thrown you out of kilter?

It's been going on much longer than that!
  • Chieflrg
    edited August 2021
    Options

So much this...

I totally understand & see this all the time. Do you have Instagram? We can dig into this fairly painlessly 😊.

• DancingMoosie
    Options
    No IG
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    Week 1 complete!

One proud moment from the past week... I've been working so hard on my deadlift form, trying to dial in my butt lift, bar path etc. Yesterday I did deads...
    135x5
    185x5
    4 sets of 210x5 (75% 1RM)
    1 set of 210x11 (last set AMAP)

My path is so much better! Eeee!
    txtdj8sjbjai.gif
  • Minion_training_program
    Minion_training_program Posts: 13,363 Member
    Options
    Week 1 complete!

One proud moment from the past week... I've been working so hard on my deadlift form, trying to dial in my butt lift, bar path etc. Yesterday I did deads...
    135x5
    185x5

txtdj8sjbjai.gif

Oh wauw...the path looks very good indeed Sandy, impressive girl! Proud of you
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    Week 1 complete!

135x5
    185x5

txtdj8sjbjai.gif

Thank you! :smiley:
    The form degrades a bit as I tire out, but overall, even the degraded form is better than it was. I tend to have a hard time dropping it straight to the floor (I tend to squat it down), so it was so nice to see less of that telltale wobble. Plus, because of that, I would end up inching the bar away from midfoot after multiple reps, which would bugger up my path up. Both of those are better. Still room for improvement, but really... very happy!

*happy dance*
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    Week 1 complete!

135x5
    185x5

txtdj8sjbjai.gif

The form degrades a bit as I tire out, but overall, even the degraded form is better than it was. I tend to have a hard time dropping it straight to the floor (I tend to squat it down), so it was so nice to see less of that telltale wobble. Plus, because of that, I would end up inching the bar away from midfoot after multiple reps, which would bugger up my path up. Both of those are better. Still room for improvement, but really... very happy!

*happy dance*

Lookin' great! What app is that with the tracer?
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »
    Week 1 complete!

135x5
    185x5

txtdj8sjbjai.gif

*happy dance*

Thank you!! It's calld WL Analysis. It's pretty easy to use and really awesome!
  • Minion_training_program
    Minion_training_program Posts: 13,363 Member
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »
    Week 1 complete!

135x5
    185x5

txtdj8sjbjai.gif

*happy dance*

Thank you!! It's calld WL Analysis. It's pretty easy to use and really awesome!

I can confirm this 😁
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    e5litre wrote: »
    Light chest and Bicep kinda of day.
    mgn6dxsf70p1.gif

Awesome work!