September 2021 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• julieannegannon
    julieannegannon Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    @AlphaHowls sorry I accidentally pressed the disagree button when I was scrolling. Sorry if it caused any upset.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,408 Member
    Options
    AlphaHowls wrote: »
    200 (minimum) miles for August, pushing for over 400 miles

Reminder! This is free to sign up
    Sep 19th 2021 - Guinness World RecordsOfficial Attempt Run (10 km / 6.2 mi)
    https://virtualrunners.com/products/guinness-world-records-attempt-run

I registered as well!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Welcome @Legs_McGee23
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,091 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    @AlphaHowls Too bad that isn't on the 18th....that's when I'm planning to run my HM. Can't really put it off until Sunday. Shoot. Definitely not doing a HM and then a 10K the next day.

I agree @7lenny7 !

Welcome to all the newcomers.

I will have to sit down and try to figure out a goal for September. It will be lower, as I plan to take it easy for a week or so after my HM.

• Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Welcome newcomers (and old friends)!

7 miles this morning to start off September. Just glad to get through it. So freakin' hot!!

exercise.png
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    If anyone needs/wants a team for Women Run the Vote this month, you can join the team I'm on! A few of these ladies were in Oiselle Volee with me 😄 We are team Run2Extreme

https://racery.com/r/wrtv-2021/#about-join-@197082
  • swenson19d
    swenson19d Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    @juliet3455 Oh man, I am sorry to hear you are battling injuries. I've had to much hip pain and the the thought of a sprain, or potential dislocation makes my bones ache for you. Be patient with it, I's sure you know those ligaments can take a long time to recover. I found the deep electric stimulation very helpful; chiropractors may offer it also. It is suppose to increase blood flow and promote healing since those tissues have little. It helped with my hip and lumbar spine. You and @WhatMeRunning can commiserate on the PF. Hang in there. Glad to see you back!
  • swenson19d
    swenson19d Posts: 789 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    My September 5k, which had been delayed, just announced it’s going virtual. My county has a rapidly climbing covid rate and local hospitals are so overwhelmed they have called in the National Guard. Since the race is to benefit a cancer clinic and it includes a big gathering of survivors every year, it makes sense - cancer patients are the people most likely to be immune compromised and fail to develop antibodies in response to the vaccine. It really wouldn’t do to have a big event and kill all the patients!

Anyway I’m disappointed because this race is my husband’s and my Runniversary, the first race we ever ran. Last year they didn’t hold it at all so we ran a private race on our local railroad access road (too many people at the parks!) and made a donation. This year we are gonna run it virtually and plan to run it on the actual course, around Patriot Lake at Shelby Farms. The course is challenging because there’s no shade and September is still summer here. One year it was over 100 degrees at race time! This year on the original date it’s supposed to be lovely weather, what a pity.

No mileage goal, still caring for my mom which only allows us to run at midday, and it’s still punishingly hot. My main goal is to keep on running three times a week, with long runs at least 10k and hopefully working up to 8 miles, some speedwork, and some trails. Hopefully we will get cooler weather and be able to run a little better than we have been lately.

This second wave of covid is scarier (to me) than the first. We have all sorts of business on reduced hours due to the lack of employees, the high school is even back to online with all the teachers/staff out.

Might you and the Dh consider a postponement of the runniversary until cooler weather? or half on the runniversary and half in October or November? You've had a lot going on this summer, you can pace yourself 😁. How are those trouble brothers? I found poop yesterday with what looked like plum seeds and hoped it was a raccoon so I could have my own tribe. Want me to get a pic for id?

ETA
    HI NEWBIES (to me)! I love FR but... please mention this thread or I will deny it as a bot or weird0. Welcome and lace up, this party is just getting started and the heat training is about to pay dividends. unless your in the souther hemisphere @Avidkeo . How ya doing?
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    9/1 – 6.22

6.22 of 75 miles

Registered for the Guinness World Record Official record attempt - thanks for letting us know about it @AlphaHowls

IDA left us with a bit less humidity today, let’s hope it last more than 10 minutes.

Welcome to all the new folks.

@rheddmobile I’m sorry about your race, I think we’ll be seeing more of that again.

I’ll ask a silly question this month – What are your pre-race rituals? Is there always something you eat the night before or the morning of? Do you wear a certain pair of socks or hat? What do you always do?

Hey @juliet3455 big wave – sorry for the injuries.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Posting my first walk for September. I'll spoiler it since I sometimes do more than one of these per day and the tally might get a bit long.
    9/1 - Morning Walk - 4.31 miles
    exercise.png
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Hi @juliet3455 – so sorry to hear about all the injuries. Haven't experienced the sprained weight bearing joint pain, but I agree with the assessment of PF and shin splints. Have had multiple bouts of both and they are very painful (and long lasting). Hope you can rebound quickly!

@AlphaHowls I am registered.

@skippygirlsmom the only pre-race rituals I have are drinking coffee (food isn't always the same...sometimes oatmeal, sometimes peanut butter toast), foam rolling my achy legs, applying icy-hot to said achy legs, and doing some dynamic warm-up. I always wear my Halo hat and clip a headlight to it.