Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Does your doctor comment on your weight?

Options

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    CurvyEmmy wrote: »
    Nobody (barring obvious outliers like people with dwarfism or born with missing limbs) has a 'natural shape' that is far out of healthy BMI range

I’ve been outside of the “healthy” BMI range my whole life DESPITE a relatively healthy lifestyle. I know lots of women in the same boat. Some people are just naturally heavier!

Nobody is just naturally heavier very far out of BMI range, (slightly out, yes that is possible for some people, but not very far) regardless of how healthy they eat or their lifestyle is or how much their friends weigh.

Here I am, the person who always goes on about frame size! I do agree with this though - my goal weight is just into the Overweight BMI category.

I have a large frame http://www.myfooddiary.com/Resources/frame_size_calculator.asp * and the only time I've had a BMI as low as 24 was after 6 weeks of undereating and overexercising during boot camp. (When I first arrived there, I had to get boots and hats from the men's side of the uniforms room because there weren't any big enough in women's. At 5'6", I'm not especially tall. I've always had a hard time buying bracelets. I wear men's shoes as often as I can get away with it.)

My goal is to get back into my skinny jeans from when I was a full time yoga teacher, which will have me at a Low Overweight BMI, and I'm ok with that.

*This calculator may be inaccurate for people considerably overweight. I still had a large frame when I had a BMI of 24 when I was in the military.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I've had doctors comment on my weight twice: Once was during one of my pregnancies, and that I was gaining a bit quickly ( I was). The 2nd was recently. My doctor commented that I had lost a bit of weight recently. I had never been overweight while going to this doctor, mind you, and went from a BMI of 22 to 20.4. I told him the reason for the loss was because I was on an elimination diet, and really hadn't been trying to eat less overall or even trying to lose weight. He said "well good work!" I thought it was so strange--I wasn't even overweight in the 1st place. Maybe he was trying to gauge if it was on purpose or not to ascertain if there was some other health concern.

I read an article not that long ago that now doctors were less likely to mention weight overall, basically for fear of offending people or making the visit about their weight and not their chief complaint.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Nobody (barring obvious outliers like people with dwarfism or born with missing limbs) has a 'natural shape' that is far out of healthy BMI range

I’ve been outside of the “healthy” BMI range my whole life DESPITE a relatively healthy lifestyle. I know lots of women in the same boat. Some people are just naturally heavier!

Nobody is just naturally heavier very far out of BMI range, (slightly out, yes that is possible for some people, but not very far) regardless of how healthy they eat or their lifestyle is or how much their friends weigh.

Here I am, the person who always goes on about frame size! I do agree with this though - my goal weight is just into the Overweight BMI category.

I have a large frame http://www.myfooddiary.com/Resources/frame_size_calculator.asp * and the only time I've had a BMI as low as 24 was after 6 weeks of undereating and overexercising during boot camp. (When I first arrived there, I had to get boots and hats from the men's side of the uniforms room because there weren't any big enough in women's. At 5'6", I'm not especially tall. I've always had a hard time buying bracelets. I wear men's shoes as often as I can get away with it.)

My goal is to get back into my skinny jeans from when I was a full time yoga teacher, which will have me at a Low Overweight BMI, and I'm ok with that.

*This calculator may be inaccurate for people considerably overweight. I still had a large frame when I had a BMI of 24 when I was in the military.

The linked site thinks I have big elbows and dainty wrists. :D
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,296 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

The linked site thinks I have big elbows and dainty wrists. :D

It confirmed my memory of having a thin frame…. That I haven’t seen in years.
    Getting there, though. Bit by bit.
  • harri1790
    harri1790 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I see a gastroenterologist for my liver and he’s mentioned my weight. I’m 5’6” F and at the time I was 218lbs. Went back for a 6 month check up and was down to about 200 lbs even. I have moderate-severe non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and a hepatic adenoma. It was actually kind of funny because the guy is normally incredibly blunt and matter of fact but at my six month check up he hesitated at calling me morbidly obese even if that’s what my BMI says (I also clearly have a larger frame). I had to say it for him when he started trying to talk about BMI 😂 But he gave me a year reprieve of further tests provided I can continue to lose weight and hopefully get my liver to respond. He’s the ONLY doctor to ever mention that I need to lose weight. My regular doctors (moved a bit so more than 1) would ask about my diet but never say “you’re overweight and need to lose pounds”. But I’ve always been lucky with low blood pressure, normal cholesterol and normal A1C values - they keep testing me for diabetes for some reason. I feel like doctors don’t like to bring up weight unless there’s an issue.
  • dralicephd
    dralicephd Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    The only time a doc commented on my weight was when I was very pregnant. Apparently, she felt it was a good idea to tell the super hormonally-emotional pregnant lady that she was gaining weight too quickly. I seriously only had a couple of months left in the pregnancy and all my labs showed that I and my baby were healthy. I already felt like a whale, I didn't need that.