Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fitness and diet myths that just won't go away

Replies

• 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    33gail33 wrote: »
    nossmf wrote: »
    For the record, I (the guy) am the chef of my family, while my wife (the gal) made it clear to me when we got engaged that she would have to be held at gun point to ever do any cooking, she'd rather clean the bathrooms. I said deal, and we've never looked back.

Coming or going to work has caused us to have some pretty random meal times (evening meal as early as 3, as late as 10), but she's held true to her desire to never enter the kitchen so long as I'm alive to prepare food. (I've taught the kids how to prepare a number of meals for those nights where I'm working the 2-10 swing shift and can't help them out at all.)

I can see not wanting to cook - but she really won't even feed her kids if you aren't there? (Or maybe they only your kids?)

or maybe 'the kids' is a loose term for kids who are really teenagers and old enough to prepare their own meals

My Dad still says things like "are you kids all coming over for a BBQ?" - when said 'kids' are all in their 50's ;)

He said they made this agreement when they were engaged and she has "held true to her desire to never enter the kitchen". It is probably hyperbole - I can't imagine any parent never encountering a situation where they had to make a meal for their kids.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,157 Member
    I think it also depends on what you're counting as "cooking". Frankly, a trained monkey could probably manage what passes for cooking in my house. Certainly even a youngish child could. I eat a lot of ham sandwiches and if I "cook" it's frozen rice topped by frozen vegetables, frozen meat and some kind of seasoning or sauce. Zap for 2 minutes and dinner's ready. If one parent hates or is bad at cooking, you could definitely set up a backup system like that for times the primary cook isn't around.
  • Analog_Kid
    Analog_Kid Posts: 976 Member
    We all believe we should exercise more. So why is it so hard to keep it up? Daniel E Lieberman, Harvard professor of evolutionary biology, explodes the most common and unhelpful workout myths.

Myth 1: It’s normal to exercise
    Myth 2: Avoiding exertion means you are lazy
    Myth 3: Sitting is the new smoking
    Myth 4: Our ancestors were hard-working, strong and fast
    Myth 5: You can’t lose weight walking
    Myth 6: Running will wear out your knees
    Myth 7: It’s normal to be less active as we age
    Myth 8: There is an optimal dose/type of exercise
    Myth 9: ‘Just do it’ works
    Myth 10: Exercise is a magic bullet

Read the full article here: https://getpocket.com/explore/item/just-don-t-do-it-10-exercise-myths?utm_source=pocket-newtab
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    Analog_Kid wrote: »
    We all believe we should exercise more. So why is it so hard to keep it up? Daniel E Lieberman, Harvard professor of evolutionary biology, explodes the most common and unhelpful workout myths.

Read the full article here: https://getpocket.com/explore/item/just-don-t-do-it-10-exercise-myths?utm_source=pocket-newtab
    IMO it's hard to keep up for many just because it does take discipline, EFFORT and time to complete. Priority takes precedence for many here.

But I don't disagree with the above.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member

I agree with this. Our ancestors never had to think about exercise. Activity was woven into the fabric of their lives. Not so much anymore...
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    J72FIT wrote: »

I agree with this. Our ancestors never had to think about exercise. Activity was woven into the fabric of their lives. Not so much anymore...

Gotta point out - these are myths the linked article DEBUNK, not a list of truths. This is a quote from the article:

"Their lives aren’t easy, but on average they spend only about two to three hours a day doing moderate-to-vigorous physical activity. It is neither normal nor necessary to be ultra-fit and ultra-strong."

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    Exercise isn't fun.

Gotta point out - these are myths the linked article DEBUNK, not a list of truths. This is a quote from the article:

"Their lives aren’t easy, but on average they spend only about two to three hours a day doing moderate-to-vigorous physical activity. It is neither normal nor necessary to be ultra-fit and ultra-strong."

He's writing there (in context) about hunter-gatherer societies, based on studies of current-day hunter-gatherers. That's legit (and I'm not writing this to disagree with you, @wunderkindking, just going on with the line of conversation).

I wonder what the comparison would look like to current-day subsistence farmers? I dipped a little bit into easily found research on that question, which looks like their energy expenditure is high-moderate to high, in calorie terms (as compared with average modern folks, I think - based on abstracts, since lots is paywalled). On this small dip into the question, I didn't see "hours of activity" comparisons between hunter-gatherer to subsistence farmer to common developed-world modern lifestyles, but I'm sure they exist.

I'm old, my parents were old when I was born; my dad's family were what I'd consider to be true subsistence farmers, a significant part of that pre-electrification/pre-tractor (they farmed with horses). Granting that sometimes parents exaggerate to their children sometimes (😉), my mental picture is that there was relatively little sitting/resting, outside of school hours for the kids, and outside of seated chores for the adults, other than perhaps a bit of reading or needlework.

Even in my own youth, my impression was that peers/schoolmates who were active on family farms (not me!) were stronger and fitter than those with a different family/activity situation.

I wonder if our ancestors traded off a slightly less active life for slightly more food security (still really fraught, of course) at the transition from hunter-gatherer to subsistence farming (as a broad generality, of course - my dad's family also hunted and foraged, besides the agriculture, of course).
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member

Worth visiting the link just for the photo of the earnest-looking weight-lifting mouse. 😆

It's a good article IMO, with a few quibbles - but something like that needs to be broad-brush.

Just a few of the quibbles (which won't make sense to anyone who didn't read the article).

#1: I think one starts seeing some intentional exercise coming into the picture once societies develop a warrior class, at least, so I don't think it's a totally-modern thing.
    #3: Reportedly, squatting is quite common in traditional cultures, and persists to an extent in some modern ones. That may be a difference that makes a difference, in average fitness with aging, according to some articles/research I've seen in the past.
    #9: He probably knows better than I do, but I read the "Just Do It" slogan at least in part as a "Don't Overthink It" kind of thing.
    #10: IME, it's pretty darned close to a magic bullet but it's not the only magic bullet. Reasonable nutrition, a reasonably non-polluted environment, satisfying social engagement - also pretty magical, for a few examples. I suppose it's actually activity, not exercise, that matters . . . but in a lot of modern lifestyles, some type of exercise may be the way to get a meaningful level of activity.

I'd encourage anyone who wants to comment on the list to read the article: The list is IMO deliberately provocative, and to some extent misrepresents the ways in which he debunks those myths.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member

Yes I understood that...
  • Analog_Kid
    Analog_Kid Posts: 976 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Worth visiting the link just for the photo of the earnest-looking weight-lifting mouse. 😆

I thought it was a hamster. Either way, it is a cool pic!