October 2021 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,941 Member
    edited October 2021
    Nice run @Teresa502 ! Yeah for friends that get up early too.

Nice running @Tramboman ! What color was the wooly caterpillar? - never mind. Just saw your answer. I haven't noticed any around here yet. I do know that there weren't very many foggy days in August, which all the old timers say indicate the number of snows we will have.

@penguinmama87 Sometimes family obligations take priority. I agree that fall weather is very fickle. Hope you get your run in tomorrow.

Great run and paces @johnisrunning !

@CarsonSurfs Glad you have lots of options for running.

Nice run @RunsOnEspresso ! Hope it doesn't get too hot again for you before next year.

• swenson19d
    swenson19d Posts: 786 Member
    edited October 2021
    Nice run @Teresa502 ! Yeah for friends that get up early too.

Nice running @Tramboman ! What color was the wooly caterpillar? - never mind. Just saw your answer. I haven't noticed any around here yet. I do know that there weren't very many foggy days in August, which all the old timers say indicate the number of snows we will have.

We had fog once in august... I hope that means one snow and not 2 weeks of sub zero and a foot of snow. I saw a woolly worm last week and it was black. I think that means cold, eh?

ETA the persimmons are about ripe. I should see what the seeds say.
  • quilteryoyo
    1 Oct - 0.00 miles ran 1.0 miles walked - driveway laps

Today is normally a tennis cross training day with a walk to keep my streak going. My tennis was canceled, so I worked at daycare from 9 - 5, ran some errands, and then did my mile walk on the driveway after I got home. I'm hoping to have a bit more time next week and hopefully get some running in.

@martaindale That sounds like an enjoyable run! I like reading about your fueling trials. I know I need to work on that, since that was my issue in my HM last month. You give me things that I can try, if I can find them.

@mshawski Lots of us post non running items. It's nice to know that you are active on non-running days.

• quilteryoyo
    Tramboman wrote: »
    The entrails of an albino crow when examined through the eye of a newt are the most accurate way to predict the severity of winter, with the possible exception of the long range forecast from the National Weather Service.
    Hahahaha

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,384 Member
    The entrails of an albino crow when examined through the eye of a newt are the most accurate way to predict the severity of winter, with the possible exception of the long range forecast from the National Weather Service.
    Hahahaha

This is when we need a laugh button! Guess emojis will have to work 😂😂😂
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    I’m not going to run this month. My hip is still bothering me. I rested the last couple days since I tried to run on Tuesday and couldn’t manage even a mile and it’s feeling better today. Before that I rested, did exercises and stretches for my legs and iced the hip per doctors orders for 2 weeks. He told me to start walking after that and to add running if I could tolerate it. I couldn’t tolerate it. After getting some good advice from my MFP friends. I’m going to slowly start with walking. I’m going to start tomorrow by just slowly walking a mile if I can do it without pain. If I can’t I’m going to contact my doctor. I have a 10K on 10/31 that I know now I can’t run it but I can walk it if I get better. But only if I get better. I’m not going to push it.

When I had an Achilles tear before a 10k, I asked if I could swap to the 5k since walking a 10k gets a little boring - if your race has a 5k option it might be something to consider. Sorry your hip is still bothering you, I hope it improves!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    shanaber wrote: »
    10-1 7k slow

October Total: 7k
    October Goal: 150k

Sunny, mid 40s F, and no wind again today. Heard red tailed hawks and saw a wooly bear caterpillar

When you pop in here claiming your December 2021 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?

PUT THE FUN BACK IN THE RUN!
    Return to a good running weight of 175 lbs (second attempt)

2021 Races:

6/26 Direction Up 5k, Solon, OH 31:48 chip; 31:59 Garmin; 53d overall; 2d male 65 and over
    7/17 Run of the Ox 5k, Mantua, OH 32:19 Garmin; 44th overall; 3d place male 60 and over
    9/18 Hattie Larlham ThriveK, Aurora, OH Scratch
    @Tramboman - I had to look up Wooly Bear Caterpillar and I learned so much about them. We have them too but I had never heard them called that. So did you happen to count the number of brown segments or note the amount of black? From the Farmer's Almanac "The wider the rusty brown sections (or the more brown segments there are), the milder the coming winter will be. The more black there is, the more severe the winter."

My husband and I saw a wooly bear on the bottom of a leaf at Chucalissa and he was solid black! Hopefully not an omen!
  • quilteryoyo
    @rheddmobile Yikes about running during a hail storm. That's scary and hurts. I would have probably tried to seek shelter somewhere. Glad it turned out to be not horrible.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,967 Member
    @penguinmama87 I feel the same way about dogs. We have always had dogs and I love dogs, but they are the thing that I worry most about when running.