October 2021 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    I just did a quick run today, took the longer way home after school drop-off for. Also almost tripped on the way there, because someone lost their maple leaves they needed for school and I was looking at trees trying to find replacements, instead of the sidewalk. Noticed it just in time.

I finally wrote to the nearby animal shelter that I run by a lot, and asked if they need volunteers - because I could come regularly and take some of their active dogs for walks/runs. But they "don't need volunteers". Oh well. I've never heard of an animal shelter not needing volunteers... but then I've never seen one so far out in the middle of nowhere, with signs all over their gates forbidding photography and unauthorized entry, etc. I also thought their Facebook post asking for a photographer volunteer was strangely worded (They stressed that you only come at prearranged times, only enter the facility with the director, who takes you to the dogs who need photographed for the website, etc.). Maybe it's some weird cultural thing I don't understand, maybe I'm being unreasonably suspicious, or maybe it's just best to run on past and stay away from whatever is happening inside 🤷‍♀️.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Distance Log:
    10/2 6.46
    10/4 5.84
    10/6 5.42

Total: 17.72/75 miles

@quilteryoyo My usual route is a combination of trail and road. It's early enough in the morning that there are very few cars, and I run with only one earbud turned down pretty low. I feel like my awareness of my surroundings is pretty good. It's dark for my entire run now, so approaching headlights are visible, but even in the middle of summer when it was light I could hear them very well.

Today's run felt kind of meh, though I really can't speak to why. Low 60s, a little more humid than I'd like but not awful. I did get a little bit of a late start so I felt very conscious of the time - I was constantly checking my watch to make sure I got home in plenty of time to get the kids ready for school. Maybe if I'd gotten out of bed first thing as I should have I wouldn't have felt so hurried! :D
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,440 Member
    Options
    7 miles this morning. Recovery run from my recovery run yesterday. First 3.5 miles I was crawling, then second 3.5 felt more like myself. Averaged 1:30/mi faster the 2nd half, and HR was lower too.

exercise.png
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I just did a quick run today, took the longer way home after school drop-off for. Also almost tripped on the way there, because someone lost their maple leaves they needed for school and I was looking at trees trying to find replacements, instead of the sidewalk. Noticed it just in time.

I finally wrote to the nearby animal shelter that I run by a lot, and asked if they need volunteers - because I could come regularly and take some of their active dogs for walks/runs. But they "don't need volunteers". Oh well. I've never heard of an animal shelter not needing volunteers... but then I've never seen one so far out in the middle of nowhere, with signs all over their gates forbidding photography and unauthorized entry, etc. I also thought their Facebook post asking for a photographer volunteer was strangely worded (They stressed that you only come at prearranged times, only enter the facility with the director, who takes you to the dogs who need photographed for the website, etc.). Maybe it's some weird cultural thing I don't understand, maybe I'm being unreasonably suspicious, or maybe it's just best to run on past and stay away from whatever is happening inside 🤷‍♀️.

That does seem odd. Our county shelter is always looking for people to volunteer. Even the non-county, not for profit rescues always seem to need volunteers
  • CarsonSurfs
    CarsonSurfs Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Easy jaunt through the woods for almost 59 minutes. The traffic on the trail is picking up. I guess more people are hitting it in the morning since the available daylight in the evenings is quickly dwindling.

5.1 miles @ 11:26 pace

28.8 out of 125 done for the month.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,969 Member
    Options
    Glad you had a nice run @kgirlhart !

@ContraryMaryMary It's hard to run when you feel that way....and then to come home and mow. You did great!

@polskagirl01 Glad you didn't trip on your run. It is weird that the animal shelter wouldn't want volunteers to help walk/run their dogs. I wonder if it is a shelter for aggressive dogs, or maybe it's a liability issue? Does seem odd to me too.

@penguinmama87 I'm glad you can do that and be safe. I have the bone conduction head phones that I use to listen to music. So, it's not the volume, or plugged ears. I'm just afraid that I would be trying so hard to pay attention to what is happening in the story that I wouldn't be paying attention and, even though my ears would hear a car, it wouldn't register in my brain until it was too late. I guess I'm not good at multi-tasking when I'm running. :lol: I often wish I had gotten up earlier, once I'm up....not while I'm still in bed, hitting the snooze. :wink:

@Scott6255 Glad the second half of your run was better.
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,063 Member
    Options
    October total: 18.1/80 miles

10/1: 10 miles
    10/4: 3.1 miles
    10/6: 5 miles

It was in the low 60’s this morning with humidity in the upper 80% range. So nice! I love not being a sweaty mess when I get back from a run! Hopefully this is real fall, and it won’t get much warmer than this for a few months.
  • johnisrunning
    johnisrunning Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Another round of 4 miles of recovery + weightlifting at the gym. Rest day tomorrow.

10/1- 7.6 miles
    10/2- 4.05 miles
    10/3- 14 miles
    10/4- 4 miles
    10/5- 8 miles
    10/6- 4 miles (35:52, 8:57/mile)

October To-Date: 41.65 miles
    October Target: 185 miles
    Percentage Complete: 22.51%
    On-Pace?: 5.83 miles ahead of pace

• polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    Tramboman wrote: »
    @polskagirl01 I suspect you might want to steer clear of something that may not be what it appears to be...
    This is my gut feeling as well. I will listen!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,977 Member
    Options
    October Goal: 111 Miles

10/3: 10.30 miles
    10/5: 5.51 miles
    10/6: 5.11 miles

20.92/111  miles completed for October 

Today I had another great fall morning run. It was 55°F with a dew point of 48°. I ignored Hal's plan which was the same as yesterday's run and rN 5 miles wit. Pace of 10:38. It was a lovely run. I saw a little possum this morning. I was running downtown and he was right on the sidewalk. He wasn't quite full grown. The rest of the run was uneventful,  but very pleasant. 

@polskagirl01 That sounds very suspicious and kind of creepy to me.

exercise.png

2021 Races:
    4/24/21: Run For The Children 10K PR 55:46:28.
    11/6/21: Run For 57th AHC Half Marathon
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @martaindale Glad you had a nice run today and the weather is finally cooler - hopefully to stay.

@Tramboman Way to get the run done, despite your legs and feet being vengeful.

@kgirlhart Glad you had a nice run this morning. Baby possums are kind of cute. Can't really say the same thing about full grown ones.
  • quilteryoyo
    edited October 2021
    Options
    1 Oct - 0.00 miles ran - 1.0 mile walked - driveway laps
    2 Oct - 0.00 miles ran - 1.0 mile walked - driveway laps - also sawed and split wood, mowed, and cleaned gutters
    3 Oct - 0.00 miles ran - 1.0 mile walked - treadmill
    4 Oct - 1.00 mile ran - 1.0 mile walked - treadmill
    5 Oct - 3.50 miles ran - 1.0 mile walked - treadmill
    6 Oct - 1.00 mile ran - 1.0 mile walked - treadmill

5.50/80 miles ran - 6.0/31 miles walked

I was off work today, so had planned to sleep a little bit later, but set my alarm for 6:30 so I could get some things done before leaving at 11 to meet 8 of my tennis peeps for lunch to celebrate the two who turned/are turning 80 and 81 years old. But, like @penguinmama87 I didn't get up when the alarm went off. I hit the snooze for 1.5 hours! :lol: That put me a bit behind, but I did manage to get everything done that I needed to before I left. Unfortunately, I did have to modify my workout a little and shorten my planned run.

I did a treadmill session. Ran 1.0 mile at 4.5 mph, sandwiched in between half mile walks at 3.8 mph. Since my planned called for 40 minutes easy or cross training, I figure this is a good compromise.

• katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo that's a lot of snoozing! You must have needed the sleep. Good job getting everything done though

@polskagirl01 that does seem weird and a little suspicious about the dog shelter. Maybe it is some special population of dogs as was mentioned.

Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    10/01/21 :::: 0.0 :::: 0.0
    10/02/21 :::: 6.7 :::: 6.7
    10/03/21 :::: 0.0 :::: 6.7
    10/04/21 :::: 2.1 :::: 8.8
    10/05/21 :::: 3.6 :::: 12.4
    10/06/21 :::: 6.4 :::: 18.8

I'm about to fall asleep myself so just posting quickly. Tonight's HM/marathon group speedwork was 2 min intervals x 14 with 90 seconds recovery between for first half and 60 seconds for second half of the set. That was a lot of intervals.