October 2021 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    Hi @Orphia! Good to see you again :D

I agree with all the women...this being 2021 it seems ridiculous not to offer gender choices for shirts (and colors).

Thinking all good thoughts for you @polskagirl01 for your upcoming 'hilly' HM.

Very nice swag @quilteryoyo!

7 miles this morning. Legs felt quite a bit better today, but running form felt very choppy. I don't know what it takes to get into a smooth rhythm anymore.

exercise.png

This may or may not be helpful, but when I'm looking for smoothness I like to feel like I'm sitting down on my hips. May be worth a try for you.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Another 4.5 miles in the woods in a light mist.

This is the time of year that you have to be on the lookout for Vampire Squirrels. I think I saw one shadowing me at one point. These things are dangerous. If you've watched True Blood, you know there is a whole ritual to turn you into a Vampire Squirrel, but if you just get fed on and then glamoured, boy are you in trouble. Unquenchable cravings for nuts and the urge to run out into the middle of the freeway to break dance...it could happen.

On the topic of race swag. I'm in a totally different camp. I would rather they stop giving medals, shirts and other stuff and just drop the price by 50 bucks. It shouldn't cost $165 to run a marathon. </soapbox>

37.9 miles out of 125 complete.

They could make the swag optional, with a base lower cost. I like the swag myself, and given that many 5ks have medals and shirts for $30 total, I’m guessing the percentage of that $165 that goes to swag is fairly small. Marathons cost way, way more than other races, even halfs, presumably because of a combo of the prestige factor (they charge what the market will bear) and the need to close roads, get permits, hire security, and so on.
  • CarsonSurfs
    CarsonSurfs Posts: 75 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Another 4.5 miles in the woods in a light mist.

This is the time of year that you have to be on the lookout for Vampire Squirrels. I think I saw one shadowing me at one point. These things are dangerous. If you've watched True Blood, you know there is a whole ritual to turn you into a Vampire Squirrel, but if you just get fed on and then glamoured, boy are you in trouble. Unquenchable cravings for nuts and the urge to run out into the middle of the freeway to break dance...it could happen.

On the topic of race swag. I'm in a totally different camp. I would rather they stop giving medals, shirts and other stuff and just drop the price by 50 bucks. It shouldn't cost $165 to run a marathon. </soapbox>

37.9 miles out of 125 complete.

They could make the swag optional, with a base lower cost. I like the swag myself, and given that many 5ks have medals and shirts for $30 total, I’m guessing the percentage of that $165 that goes to swag is fairly small. Marathons cost way, way more than other races, even halfs, presumably because of a combo of the prestige factor (they charge what the market will bear) and the need to close roads, get permits, hire security, and so on.

I'm totally down with making swag optional and charging additional for it. I still think that non-swaggers would still foot the bill for some of it because the races need to order so far in advance.

Yes, the cost of the swag is a small percentage for sure. I've run plenty of $30 races too that had a shirt. But most of them end up in the goodwill piles, so I would love to be able to opt out of the shirt completely. The biggest cost of marathons is traffic control because they have a larger area to police and they usually have to do so for like 7+ hours. That's not cheap.

ETA: I'd also like to see a reduction in the swag purely for environmental purposes. I just recently moved cross country and was astounded by the amount of junk we had accumulated in 5 short years. I rented a 500 pound capacity dumpster and filled it before we left. All stuff that we thought we needed at some point.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I have been on both sides of the swag spectrum. My "firsts" of certain distances and events were all treasured (still are). That said, unless is it "quite literally the coolest medal ever to exist on planet Earth", I would prefer to save the money than have another medal and especially another dang event shirt.
  • CarsonSurfs
    CarsonSurfs Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have been on both sides of the swag spectrum. My "firsts" of certain distances and events were all treasured (still are). That said, unless is it "quite literally the coolest medal ever to exist on planet Earth", I would prefer to save the money than have another medal and especially another dang event shirt.

I donated all my medals to Medals for Mettle.
    https://www.medals4mettle.org/
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options

I donated all my medals to Medals for Mettle.
    https://www.medals4mettle.org/
    Thanks! First I've heard of this! I actually have had mine in storage for a while now. This is great!
  • Legs_McGee23
    Legs_McGee23 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Oct 2 - 4.89 miles
    Oct 5 - 6.2 miles
    Oct 8 - 5.13 miles

16.2 / 75 miles

We were in trial all week so hoping to do a better job of sticking to my training schedule from here on out.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    October 1 – 5.14
    October 2 – 22.24
    October 4 – 5.14
    October 5 – 3.01
    October 6 – 5.05
    October 8 – 6.02

I’ve had days of back-to-back meetings so when the chance for a break came up today, I took it and left the office about 12:30 for a run. I’m definitely more of an early morning runner! It started sprinkling rain the last mile but I didn’t mind it.

Thanks for the medal donation information @CarsonSurfs. I have a few special medals that really mean something to me but most I can easily part with. I have a friend who ships running related items to a running group in Belize – shoes, clothing, water bottles, etc. They re-use race bibs so I always send those but medals cost a lot to ship out of the country.

@quilteryoyo – I haven’t decided but I will probably do the Pioneer 5-Miler if it is a nice day. I’m really bad for not deciding until the week of the race and then signing up. Getting to see you would be a bonus! Nice HM swag!

Love your rant @katharmonic!
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,441 Member
    Options
    @Tramboman @CarsonSurfs thanks for the tips. Cadence isn't my issue, I average just over 180 steps/min. I feel like my stride is short (usually between 0.90m and 1.0m) and I am landing under my hips (I think) with a bent knee.
    But it just feels jerky lately and like I am fighting myself ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    😲 $165 yikes! Ok, I'm definitely spoiled on the cost point, too.
    Also, wouldn't want to cause any race director's heads to explode... but it's not that hard to include a size chart (with measurements) for the shirts B)
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,969 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    @Orphia Welcome back. I think we are all bad at running math. It's weird that is a thing, isn't it?

@katharmonic The shirt is indeed a women's cut. I agree they should offer them in more races, esp. the larger ones, and in the same colors as they do men's. I am not a "pink" person, even though coral is one of my favorite colors. I don't consider it pink. :lol:

Nice run @kgirlhart !

@polskagirl01 You're going to do great on your HM!

@Scott6255 Glad your legs felt better today. Hope you get back into a nice rhythm soon.

Nice @johnisrunning !

Nice running @CarsonSurfs !

You're doing great @mshawski .

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome backs, @Tramboman @Scott6255 @shanaber @quilteryoyo

@quilteryoyo I hope your back/hip/leg improves and you can run and do things.

Add me to the list of women who don't want pink race shirts.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Swag

Yes to women's cuts. No to all the pink. Most races I have done offer the same shirt in unisex or women. So same color. Never had a choice. Always prefer black, gray, or blue.

Trail races and more road now have the choice of no shirt. It really doesn't save that much, especially for road since most of what you're paying for is the closures and police etc
  • rheddmobile
    Options
    @quilteryoyo I wonder if all that gravel in your half has anything to do with your hip issues. My first half was unexpectedly mostly on gravel and it really wore me out, I was feeling the hip strain for a long time afterwards. There was nothing really injured as far as I can tell, and it got better on its own eventually, but one hip and glute were inflamed and touchy for a while. Anyway I hope you feel better soon!
  • rheddmobile
    Options
    Got my booster today so used it as an excuse to hike rather than running. Strava is driving me bonkers, it keeps rebooting in the middle of my runs!

Wednesday ran 10k easy on the trail where we saw the bobcat. We looked for a bobcat, but alas that was probably a once in a lifetime encounter - we did see this very pretty garden orb weaver though! (Spider warning)
    yux6wuzmkufe.png

You can add me to the list of those who don’t like pink shirts. I like what Black Girls Run did with their Erace Racism shirt - their main shirt was hot pink, but they also offered black, white, and gray options.

I also wish women’s running brands would make more things in green. I get so sick of pastel colors, and that particular teal blue that all women’s running kit seems to come in.