WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2021

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,957 Member
    Options
    :)Barbara, Along with "Atomic Habits", another great book is "Better Than Before" by Gretchen Rubin
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,442 Member
    Options
    KJ -
    I have to admit, I got a little weepy when your four-year-old little one comforted the other by holding his hand. It's a big step emotionally when the little ones can see and recognize someone else's pain and know what the right answer is to help. Actually, it's a big step for anyone - I've known more than one grownup who hadn't progressed that far.

Heather -

Glad you got your grands to school. Sounds like you're finding that, when you're an active grandparent, your schedule must be flexible. I love seeing you in their lives as it seems to bring you so much joy; it's wonderful to see you so happy.

Tracey -
    Love the chair - hope you get many comfy nights in it - especially with winter coming on.

Carol -
    Hoping for a swift and painless recovery from your cataract surgery.

Sue, Rori, and others coping with grief, we are all here holding you up.

Sitting in my recliner as well, noshing on a Lunchable for breakfast. If you pick the right ones, they are actually reasonably good nutrition, with 11 grams of protein in the Ham & Cheddar one. I just discard the cookies when I open it, get rid of that temptation. The Lunchables are high in sodium, but I crave salt these days. And only 250 calories when you discard the cookies.

Corey just called to say "good morning." He always does when I sleep through his 5:15 departure - just checking on me to make sure I'm feeling well. He will call again at lunchtime and then on the way home--he always calls me when he gets out of work to see if there's anything I need. There are times in my life when that would have made me feel quite smothered, but it makes me feel treasured and loved instead.

Slept for seven hours last night in two shifts of 4 and 2 hours, up for a bit in between. I'll take it. It clears much of the mental fog, sleeping that much.

Whoopsie, Egg just did a drive-by gallop. Probably need to check and see if she needs food!

Later, y'all,
    Lisa in AR
    (Egg is my cat, by the way, if you didn't know already.)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,005 Member
    Options
    ie4zig6py6sw.png

Newcomers to this thread ... please feel free to jump right into a conversation that interests you. :)

We talk about all sorts of stuff and the thread moves fast.

Ask questions.

Tell us a bit about yourselves.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,005 Member
    Options
    Getting to know you question:

What is your favourite way to spend a day off ... or a day with no "must dos".

M in Oz
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,607 Member
    Options
    Rrrrrr
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,641 Member
    Options
    Hi Gals,
    Machka - A day off with no “to dos” I have not had one of those in 11 years since I started my business. But it would include sleeping past 5am, the beach, one great coffee, breakfast food – probably eggs benedict that I don’t cook or clean up after…. Part of the time on my own part of the time with a friend. But with a friend that would make decisions --- I would love it if I could make a list like this, designate a day and have someone else do the planning and driving… but that’s not likely.

Kelly – I was tearing up through that whole story, sadness for Mom, sister, Boy A – tears of amazement for boy B’s compassion – and realizing that you needed to let the tears flow but really couldn’t. The boys showed so much about good communication, compassion, and humanity. Tough questions in adult minds but the kids didn’t know so asked, simple clear questions and got answers. No assumptions, no politics, just ask – respond and then reach out and provide caring. The world could learn a lot from Boy A and Boy B.

Kim in N. California
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,988 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s

Michele the gals at my church in Boise had a recipe that called for rinsing the (store bought in a jar) sauerkraut to reduce the saltiness. Me, I like it salty!
    Katla I wish you had a Star Trek transporter too!, Then you could pick me up and we could go, and still be back in time for dinner ;)

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    October: leaner/stronger/kinder than September.
    daily: sit with Joe:4, weigh/wii: 4/1/15; steps>7228=8058 vits=4, log=4, CI<CO=4, CI<250<CO=3, Tumble=4, Shadow=5, mfp=4, outside=5, up hill=5, clean 10=13.
    wkly: Sun:P, Y or W=1 , Mon:SWSY= , Tue:LD= , Wed:TC= , PW=, Thurs: BB&B=, Fri:TC=, Sat:PW=1, rX x4=1.
    wt=1/31:141.3 2/28:142.4 3/31:145.3 4/30:141.5 5/31:142.4 6/30:141.5 7/31:140.2 8/31:140.0 9/30:141.2 10/3: 10/10: 10/17: 10/24: 10/31:
    mnthly: board mtg= , grant=, plan=, waist=42.
    bonus: AF=3, play= sew=
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW

A very sweet German friend of the families taught me how she did saurkraut- she grated and sauteed a fresh cabbage and mixed in a jar of store bought kraut. It had better texture and the flavor was amazing. I still do that now.

Debbie
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,279 Member
    Options
    Picked up Bea, brought her home. Max was having a piano lesson. Edie arrived later with my son after her music lesson.
    Cooked the girls pasta for tea.
    Max is going to have fish and chips with us adults when the parents return. The three have gone off to look at yet another school for Max. I've lost count of how many they have visited!!
    I had a nap this afternoon as I was knackered. Legs aching. Took some pain killers. Will take some more before we walk home tonight.
    All good. I am blessed.

Love Heather UK xxxxxx
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    KJ, awe, such empathy in a young person.💖. It was a tragic, yet uplifting situation.😢🙏
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Washington
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Today I shipped the baby blanket I knitted to our daughter in law. We are planning to visit in person, but I wanted this to arrive before we get there. We are planning to be there in November. ❤️
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,224 Member
    Options
    I have read posts but have little to add to comments already made.

Having another earlyish night as we are up early tomorrow to do our weekly groceries. Afterwards we are meeting with some of our gardening friends at a local garden centre for coffee, and to buy our seeds for next spring.

(((Hugs))) to those who need them.
    Welcome to our new folk.
    Cheers to all.

☘️ Terri
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,224 Member
    Options
    Annie: Much commiserations. It hard when parents get to that stage. It often feels like you are wading through treacle. (((Hugs)))

KJ: So much maturity in such young children. 🥲

Heather: Looking after the grands can be a double edged sword. Our energy levels often desert us.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,070 Member
    Options
    Barbara I am aiming for better too. I am realizing it is time for major clean out while I am still iin good shape. We have lived in our home over thirty years. DH is on board to making improvements too. We are going to try and hire a painter for the inside if we can. The outside painter I tried this summer was a bust. I will do the painting if will do not find someone. I have painted most of the rooms in our home at least once since we moved in.