Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Great running, @Scott6255 !

Nice swag, @polskagirl01 !
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    Yay I did it!!!

Gliwice Half Marathon and the Silesian Half Marathon Crown = DONE!!!!!!!!

Race recap:
    Short version - I ran the entire thing with a huge smile on my face 🥰
    Long version and pics:
    I started out thinking I'd just take it easy, there was a pace group for 4-5 minutes slower than my PB, and I started just behind them. I knew they were going faster than they were supposed to, but it didn't bother me. Then going downhill I'd've had to put the brakes on to stay behind them, so I just let myself go ahead at a reasonable pace. 1st hill, they caught back up, but then after that I was just getting farther and farther ahead of them. I figured at any time I could slow down and rejoin them if needed, except I never needed to. There was a tunnel that messed up the watch data (4x because it was an out and back that we did twice) and for some odd reason there wasn't a single kilometer marker, so I didn't know my overall pace, but could see the next pacers ahead of me and mainly wanted to keep a pace that I could maintain without losing control of breathing, which could set off the asthma and potentially ruin everything. So "comfortably hard" pace, all the hills seemed like baby hills to me, and I didn't walk a step the whole time. I never caught the next pace group, which is odd because I finished before they should have... meaning I blew my PR out of the water by over a minute. Almost 8 minutes faster than last week. I was not expecting this. Great race, completed my Crown goal and got a PB. I'm thrilled with all of it.

Asthma did kick in AFTER the finish. At that point though, I just stood there trying to calm it down, then one puff of the inhaler and pretty quickly all was well.

Another oddity... there were 2 locker rooms with showers, but neither was marked male or female... sigh. Both ended up being co-ed 🤷‍♀️ Whatever, the guys were respectful, I got my shower without anyone walking in on me, got dressed and got out of there.

Collected my Crown shirt and medal, and my daughter made me a crown to wear.

Pics: All the shirts & medals from all 4 races. If there are any good pictures from the course, I'll share them later.
    875ugt7qjyly.jpg
    r54sivcyj16z.jpg
    0vgwde3z6wcs.jpg
    OK so then someone else posted about what one of our run club guys did today (because he didn't even mention it himself). Although there are limited places with ski lifts to certain points, most of the mountains here are typically only accessible on foot. Can't walk? You'll likely never see those places. There was a group that organized an opportunity to have teams take people with physical handicaps up into the Tatry Mountains. This guy was in a group of 5 people who took turns, carrying a young man (weighing 67 kg) on their back in a special carrying sack for 3-10 minutes at a time, up a legitimate mountain, 2172 meters above sea level. He shared a short video clip of them reaching the top, and the young man's joy is so moving. Amazing.

Great half!!!!!
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    Congrats to @shanaber and @eleanorhawkins for Running the Year!!!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,963 Member
    Options
    Great run @katharmonic ! I'm glad the universe listened and you didn't have to run in a cold rain.

Congratulations @polskagirl01 ! That is awesome. Love the crown your daughter made for you! You deserve it. That's an awesome thing the guy in your running group, and the others, did for that young man. I'm sure he'll never forget that experience.

Great run @sweetdaisy13 !

@skippygirlsmom Nice job on your half. Sorry the stress is not going to let up anytime soon. It sounds like a nightmare. BTW, I think most of the wood has been moved now. There is a little more, but it is under cover already, so we my just leave it there. Tippy is a sweet pup, most of the time. :wink:
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,963 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    @kgirlhart Great running. Glad your mom is excited about her new watch. Are you the one who got it for fall detection? I know someone on here was looking to get one for that. If so, let me know how it works out. I'm thinking about getting one for mom...or at least looking into it. She hasn't fallen, but she is outside walking around by herself a lot, so if she did fall she might be there a while before we found her. I think the same thing about myself too. Getting older and living alone presents challenges that you don't think about when you are younger. That kitten is adorable. I hope the dogs and and her get along well enough for her to stay with you.
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    @polskagirl01 Awesome race and good job on the PR.

@Scott6255 Good job on the AG award!

@kgirlhart Cute cat!
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    October total: 40.9/80 miles

10/1: 10 miles
    10/4: 3.1 miles
    10/6: 5 miles
    10/7: 3.1 miles
    10/12: 5.2 miles
    10/14: 11 miles
    10/17: 3.5 miles

Ran in a different part of the neighborhood today. Just a few gently rolling hills and my favorite weather! Upper 40's in the morning while I was running and high about 70. Just beautiful. I am running again tomorrow morning and it should be similar. I'm really looking forward to it.