WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2021

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
    Barbara -
    I could eat more garlic, I like it but don't think of it much ! haha ! I think cilantro seeds does taste like soap but I find the leaves quite tasty (and not soapy to me) condiments are great and zero-ish calories in. thanks for the pages encouragesmnets (encouragement in this area needed alway needed) I can't really remember what mace tastes like...

Machka I never eat oregano have only had in it pizza int he old days I think! nice smiley pictureeç

Heather do you have a young-en who can help you?

Beth I don't know farro ! I like mint and basil! I have never heard of smoked paprika ! I'm curious. that freshness of parsley - agreed fresh is something !

Debbie : I like sage and cinnamon too - I use the later sparingly -it has such a dominating floor!

Rebecca congratulations on the SV!

Allie - fruits, veggies, grains, beans etc. I think so many of us are coing more and more in that direction for health reasons. dairy makes me sneeze almost right away at best! we're all advised to not eat much meat now... Like Kim don't know about phosphateerous ! I agree with Kim I would make it a game. That's what I do being 100% GF and pretty much dairy free.

Katla glad your worries are eased and you are feeling well an safe.

Tracey how was ceramics, I hope today is a good one. sorry about yesterday at work.

Michèle ha ha for the secret spices!

SPICES - l like many now. as a kid we also had canned soup etc, not even pepper! only rarely paprika ---- and cinnamon toast and nutmeg for apple pie or spice cake.
    my dad was anti-spice - and anything but processed unflavoured canned food almost - (but with lots of salt) so that's how we ate in my family -- but as an adult I discovered spices and I like many. I also enjoy curry spices...

Food & Spices

Oregano - I love the smell and flavour. I have it on pizza, veggies, rice, pasta, and when I do one version of chicken & veg in my slow cooker.

To that version of chicken and veg, I'll also add things like ... parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme! And basil.

Curry & Garam Masala (mixtures of spices) - I add these to things like pumpkin soup and to another version of chicken & veg in my slow cooker. They're also nice on oriental noodles (raman noodles).

To that version of chicken and veg, I'll also add things like chili, garlic, and ginger. Sometimes I pop in some soya sauce.

Paprika ... I've never had any that tasted like anything at all. It's as bland as can be. I might use it for colour, however.

Mayo ... nope!

Tartare sauce (spiced mayo) ... great for fish and chips

Ketchup ... only occasionally for french fries and most times, not even that.

Mustard ... for snags and hot dogs and occasionally chicken fingers or hamburgers. Not as keen on the American variety, but these are good (not the horseradish).

oih5ufjv61iz.png

And I love pesto with pasta. :)

M in Oz
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    <3
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    B)
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Beth ~ Good wishes for your son that he will get a job that makes him happy. Also, great news that your weight bearing ability is improving.

Carol in GA
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,916 Member
    Options
    Just_Gran wrote: »
    Morning ladies, well my October so far has been a journey and a half:)) Joined the gym with my daughter and we have been encouraging each other to go most nights after dinner. Cant believe I am actually doing weights as well as cardio, but so far, so good. Found a couple of ladies who come over each Friday for aquarobics in our pool followed by good conversation and crochet. Has become the highlight of my week:)) Loosing inches rather than kgs, but at this stage I will take each loss as a positive step forward on my wellness journey.

<3 Kim
    Brisbane, Australia

:) Welcome. It sounds like you have created a good plan for yourself. I know that a plan helps me. I hope you will come back and share more. I just got back from walking my dogs for two hours. We start in the dark and eventually watch the sun come up at this time of year.

<3 Barbie In NW WA
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,043 Member
    Options
    I have a cold, so of course I have to worry about Covid. I have a runny nose and sore throat. My usual approach is to wait and see if it goes away. Bury my head in a romance novel. If it's still active on Monday I suppose I should get tested. I have been vaccinated.

Annie in Delaware
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Went to the dermatologist yesterday and had a spot on my left arm removed. He’s sent it in for testing. I’m not sure when we will get the results. He said it will be between 5 & 14 days.

Yoga today! YAY!
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

Food & Spices

Oregano - I love the smell and flavour. I have it on pizza, veggies, rice, pasta, and when I do one version of chicken & veg in my slow cooker.

To that version of chicken and veg, I'll also add things like ... parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme! And basil.

Curry & Garam Masala (mixtures of spices) - I add these to things like pumpkin soup and to another version of chicken & veg in my slow cooker. They're also nice on oriental noodles (raman noodles).

To that version of chicken and veg, I'll also add things like chili, garlic, and ginger. Sometimes I pop in some soya sauce.

Paprika ... I've never had any that tasted like anything at all. It's as bland as can be. I might use it for colour, however.

Mayo ... nope!

Mustard ... for snags and hot dogs and occasionally chicken fingers or hamburgers. Not as keen on the American variety, but these are good (not the horseradish).

oih5ufjv61iz.png

M in Oz

oregano seems bland to me - but I support you in your love for it ! :)

basil yum
    pesto yum

paprika - only savoury spice when a kid - indeed no flavour ! I think that's why! but I think it depends actually on the paprika!

I'm not big on mayo and never tartar nor ketchup - I think I ate ONLY ketchup as condoment as a kid and now I dislike it verily.:)

dijon mustard only occasionally
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    Julie - sounds like you should just make a cuppa hot tea, find something to lose yourself in and take a "sick" day... a old movie, a book, coloring.....something you can do a bit and doze and do a bit.... Something like Annie is doing today

take care
    Kim in N. California
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,843 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Wow this month is flying by for me. I have been productive but just can’t seem to find the time for me to read.

Spices I can’t choose just one! I am into aroma therapy and make some oils out of spices. My favorite this month is cinnamon but that will change when I have a chance to go through my newest monthly box! My DH cooks and uses all sorts of herbs and spices. For a small space we must have 20 different herbs and spices, not counting what I use for oils!

Shopping bags I have a ton in my car but ala wats forget to bring them in the store! I fill them when I get back to my car. Easier to deal with but defeats the purpose. I recycle the plastic bags from the store as trash bags. Haven’t had to buy trash bags in over 4 years!

RvRita in Roswell, NM
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,946 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: take BP, dogs to powerline, practice WBW, DM, SWTD, SL, learned the rest of GDLL, made up yesterday’s T’ai Chi, BB&B.
    Bonus: 30 mins grooming Tumble, 10 mins vacuuming, reconciled and paid one credit card statement.
    Just one thing: delivered cider to T, C, D, L, De and J yesterday. Cleared space in the fridge.
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, RiteAid for booster, Freddie’s for rx, T’ai Chi, make up Tuesday’s line dancing, practice WBW, DM, SWTD, SL, GDLL, backup files, then call pc guy to schedule tuneup, fill in booster vaccine form with Joe, text C, make up Saturday’s pack walk, fire district: board meeting minutes, research district tax exemption for volunteer firefighters, AFG grant requirements including NIMS, call NFPA cancel inactive accounts, clarify benefits included in annual dues, input 2019 call sheets into NFIRS, work with chief on equipment letter, substance abuse policy, NFIRS, index mutual aid files and share with L; start Part D research with new rx info, watch STAS Day 20, declutter sideboard, learn new dances (Tequila Little Time, Homesick, Nothing but You, A Little Less Broken, Blame it on my beating heart, Do Your Thing, practice dances: All Night, TGIF, I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat), One Margarita, I’m so used to being broke); finish mulching flowerbed, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant the last of the naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove, ask Te about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???, Sunday: call S, Reward: inventory seeds, plan this fall’s garden, wishlist replenishments (Milena F1 orange peppers and beit alpha cukes next year).
    Reminder: Weekly: Mon=15 mins SWSY. Tues=30 mins line dance at home. Wed=30 mins T’ai Chi & 1 hr pack walk. Thurs=15 mins BB&B. Fri=30 mins T’ai Chi. Sat=1 hr pack walk. Sun=15 mins pilates, yoga or wii balance games.
    October
    21: Let go of the expectations of others and focus on what matters to you: dog group instead of BGBS.
    22: Share a hopeful quote, picture or video with a friend or colleague: this is a hard one. T is worried about my booster choice, sent a video with love and prayer. Tried to respond likewise.

Short on steps and energy. YouTube bagpipe massed bands to the rescue. 55 minutes counting as today’s half hour of Line Dancing ;)

Debbie does your DH take the lozenges for pain? A half gallon of half and half? WOW!

Booster tomorrow morning. Will lidocaine both arms and hope for the best. ;)

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    October: leaner/stronger/kinder than September.
    daily: sit with Joe:21, weigh/wii: 12/3/46; steps>7228=5102 vits=21, log=21, CI<CO=21, CI<250<CO=17, Tumble=19, Shadow=19, mfp=21, outside=24, up hill=20, clean 10=16.
    wkly: Sun:P, Y or W=3, Mon:SWSY=3 , Tue:LD=3 , Wed:TC=1.87 , PW=2, Thurs: BB&B=3.2, Fri:TC=2.77, Sat:PW=3, rX x4=3.
    wt=1/31:141.3 2/28:142.4 3/31:145.3 4/30:141.5 5/31:142.4 6/30:141.5 7/31:140.2 8/31:140.0 9/30:141.2 10/3:141.3 10/10:141.8 10/17:141.8 :astonished: 10/24: 10/31:
    mnthly: board mtg=1 , grant=2, plan=, waist=42.
    bonus: AF=13, play=46 sew=
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW

these are tiny tiny little tablets/squares(feel like wax to me) that you put on your gum and they dissolve quickly-works in less than 20 min. He noticed a big difference when he started using them. Yes they are for pain- double hip replacements twice, one is still not right, the other is tollerable.
    Yes- half gallon! I helped at the food program/food bank with mom on Saturday and each family got half gallon of 2 % milk(either regular or lactose free), half gallon of half and half and another half gallon of either of those- so 3 total plus a quart of buttermilk. I will use the buttermilk for chicken tenders- need to get some chicken breasts-buttermilk and hot sauce to soak the chicken to make it moister. We ended up with two banana boxes full of food and I didn't even take everything. I will be sauteing the bell peppers and onions for fajita quessidillas tomorrow night along with home made pico de gallo.
    Each family gets all that and each worker also gets it. I love helping, the free food is a nice bonus- the only bad part is being up at 4:30(after getting to sleep at 12;30AM) to help.
    Mom does it every single Saturday. Dad did too when he was alive. He complained about the hours more than mom did.
    The Alfredo sauce came out really good. Used the pasta and butter from food program and green beans from there so was totally free meal.
    Too bad we didnt' get any of the good French bread this time- some weeks they get boxes and boxes of the great bread from the local bakery- I get a few extra(they have plenty) of that one-If I were to buy one loaf of plain wheat bread, it would be $8. Not sure how much the sourdough is. I don't eat much bread but if I can get Cousteaux's, I will have some.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    Just_Gran wrote: »
    Morning ladies, well my October so far has been a journey and a half:)) Joined the gym with my daughter and we have been encouraging each other to go most nights after dinner. Cant believe I am actually doing weights as well as cardio, but so far, so good. Found a couple of ladies who come over each Friday for aquarobics in our pool followed by good conversation and crochet. Has become the highlight of my week:)) Loosing inches rather than kgs, but at this stage I will take each loss as a positive step forward on my wellness journey.

<3 Kim
    Brisbane, Australia

aquarobics sounds so fun. I had thought about doing a aqua zumba class and the only reason I am not is because of where the gym is- not a good area and the class is at night. My zumba teacher is the one that is teaching it now.If I can find a friend to go with me, I want to go and try it.
    Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    Barbara -
    I could eat more garlic, I like it but don't think of it much ! haha ! I think cilantro seeds does taste like soap but I find the leaves quite tasty (and not soapy to me) condiments are great and zero-ish calories in. thanks for the pages encouragesmnets (encouragement in this area needed alway needed) I can't really remember what mace tastes like...

Debbie : I like sage and cinnamon too - I use the later sparingly -it has such a dominating floor!

SPICES - l like many now. as a kid we also had canned soup etc, not even pepper! only rarely paprika ---- and cinnamon toast and nutmeg for apple pie or spice cake.
    my dad was anti-spice - and anything but processed unflavoured canned food almost - (but with lots of salt) so that's how we ate in my family -- but as an adult I discovered spices and I like many. I also enjoy curry spices...

I don't use cinnamon in savory dishes- just sweets and in my tea-really like the cinnamon(like the candy) My favorite Sweet and Spicy is really good- 0cal dessert for me.
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Barbara -

[
    Michèle ha ha for the secret spices!

Food & Spices

Mayo ... nope!

oih5ufjv61iz.png

M in Oz

haha- I would pick the horseradish FIRST- not a fan of most mustard
    Mayo has to be regular NOT Miracle Whip!

I love pesto and make it using home grown basil and garlic. DH does not like it but son and I do so when I make pasta, I have started making three kinds. Son prefers Alfredo but will eat pesto, dh wants red sauce. Up until recently, I would just eat a little of the red but then decided if I was going to actually eat pasta that I was going to eat it the way I really liked and enjoy it.

I had never had curry until MIL made it. I enjoy it but she makes so much and so often that we all got a bit burned out on it. I have never made it myself(though I do have it here-we get enough from her)

Growing up mom used garlic, rosemary,sage,thyme,oregano and that was about it- Bay in a few dishes. It was always my job to go to the back of the property and pick some bay leaves when she needed them(or wild grape leaves when those were needed)
    Dad didn't like basil so mom never used it- grew a lot but sold it all to them restaurants.
    Paprika was only used on top of deviled eggs that I remember.