Zero Carb eating

Options

Replies

• russellholtslander1
    russellholtslander1 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Well, today, I lost another 1.2 lbs. I ate a lot more yesterday than normal. I don't know why, but I am finding it much easier to eat MORE. I no longer feel as if I a shoving 2 lbs. of meat down my throat. One thing is, I cut a lot of fat, and replaced it with meat, fish, and fowl.

They say fat satiates, and maybe it was suppressing my appetite. Anyways, I ate 1.76 lbs of chicken for lunch yesterday, and 1 lb. of pork chops.

Today, I cut up 3 sausage links, and cooked them in 3 Tbsp. butter, then tossed in 4 Jumbo eggs, and scrambled it all up.. and had 2 ozs. of extra sharp cheddar. Lunch will be 1.48 lbs. of pork steaks. That's 2 of them. The bone accounts for some weight, but well over a lb. Tonight, I have 1.23 lbs. of boneless, skinless chicken thighs ( 6 ). I bought some smaller packages, not 8 packs, so I can just eat 1 package per meal. I have several non-stick pans, so I do need to remove the bone from the pork steak, so no scratches, but it allows me to cook without butter.

I removed 20% of the weight for bone, and it's about 3,138 calories, 206 g fat, 295 g protein. 5 g carbs. Yesterday was just 2,660 calories, so we'll see if the extra calories stop my weight loss, or slow me significantly.

Going to the gym today, after I finish 2 loads of laundry. Then later, I plan on taking a 3 mile walk out to the lake, and back. Temps still around 73, so good walking weather. At the gym, I just have hamstrings, and shoulders. My legs are very strong, from carrying me around, plus they are only 26" long, so I can lift heavy. Upper body I do much lighter, especially around my heart.. 5 years ago, I pulled one of the leads from my pacemaker out of place, so it was just floating around doing nothing. So I will do 120 lb. hamstring curls, and 25 lb. dumbbell delt presses. Then a couple sets of side laterals with 10 lb. weights. My upper body exercises probably build no muscle.. almost like cardio, but I don't do enough repetitions.. just moving the muscles a little. I miss lifting heavy, but those are the consequences of decades of eating poorly. Good thing is, at 47, and being chubby, I have nothing to prove at the gym. I'm just the aging, fat guy, so lifting light looks normal. My form is probably better. :)

Another lazy day. I'm off to cook some pork.
  • russellholtslander1
    Options
    So most people eat a diet of moderation, and the results are that they end up not being able to stick to it, and the final result is 70.2% are overweight or obese..

Sure, moderation works, if you remove all the data proving otherwise. Moderation is not something most people can do, or else more people would be healthy.

Are you suggesting that ALL the food on the recommended diet causes this overeating? I am saying that most people have trigger foods.. broccoli isn't causing overeating, surely, so something you eat is causing people to irrationally eat more of certain foods, which is why they gain weight, unless you think that is an opinion, too.

If you start a healthy diet of moderation, and end up on an unhealthy diet of moderation, that is the end result of that diet. You can't say that the vast majority of people who eat a certain diet, eat like crap in the end, but that doesn't count.

Imagine if low carb, resulted in 70.2% of people craving BACON, and for some reason, they ate lbs. of it. Far beyond what they needed, so much they gained weight. Would that not be the fault of the diet? Would we not count those as failures to make people healthy? Would we recommend bacon in moderation? Or would we say.. eat low carb, but for 70%, moderation of bacon does not work.. so maybe try bacon, but if it causes cravings, don't eat ANY bacon.

Certain foods cause cravings. You may not like to admit that, but it's true, and you can't eat these foods in moderation. Now, you may never find some of these foods, and eat them, so you never have cravings, and overeat.. but by saying all things in moderation, you ignore reality.

I think we can agree that most people try to follow the recommended diet, given by most doctors.. a diet of moderation.. set amounts of each, with nothing completely restricted. When we do that, something causes 70.2% to overeat enough to be overweight or obese. You think it is my opinion that the plan itself is the cause. So what do I think is the cause IN that plan? Is it eating moderate amounts of food? Variety? No. Even on ZC, I have varieties of meats, eggs, cheeses, fats, and I don't eat ANY to the exclusion of others.

The problem is this idea that moderation or variety are always OK. It ignores the reality that many people have triggers which cause overeating. Moderation and variety are fine, up to a point, but if they eat a trigger food, moderation is no longer possible. They will overeat of that food, to the point of becoming overweight, and eventually obese. How do we know that? 70.2 % are obese or overweight. Certainly more than half, following this diet of moderation, can't maintain moderation, and overeat.

If you actually read my sentence, it does NOT say moderation is impossible.. it says it is apparent that for more than half, it is impossible.

Yes, that is most people's reality, unless you believe 70.2% of people choose to be overweight or obese, and sabotage themselves, despite moderation being possible.. or you disagree that 70.2% if more than half.

When you add variety, you are more likely to hit a trigger food. Are you saying that NO food triggers cravings and overeating? If you admit these exist, then how does eating them in moderation work? You don't drink alcohol in moderation if you are an alcoholic, you refrain from it.. so why wouldn't the solution to a food, which compels you to eat, also not be something you stop consuming?

If we can agree that there ARE trigger foods, then adding variety, would make it more likely you consumed one, and moderation wouldn't work at that point. Which as I said, is apparently true for the majority of Americans.

That all being said, I didn't berate the previous poster for having an opinion.. I pointed out that her opinions were not facts. Yet she stated them as facts.. they did not say apparently something was true.. which IS an opinion, or even they thought something was true. You rightly pointed out the line was MY opinion. I do not disagree, but where you err, is in why I pointed out the error of the previous poster.. there is a difference between saying something is apparently true, which is an opinion, and saying something IS true.

For example.. apparently more than half the days in the desert are sunny... is an opinion. You need sun every day to have a desert... is stated as a fact. There is a huge difference.

The previous poster stated that you need to get certain nutrients from plants and fruit, or something like that, among other things.. something which is not a proven fact. It was a declarative sentence, not an opinion. There are people who don't eat any plant food for years, despite this idea that yo would develop symptoms of deficiencies, scurvy being an obvious one, bandied about as fact. You CAN develop scurvy, without enough Vitamin C, in 3 months, but the poster used this to say we need Vitamin C from plants and fruits.. ( my opinion ).. at least I think that would be one of the examples of what was stated as fact. Maybe they meant other nutrients, but Vitamin C is hard to get without eating plant food.. that is a fact. However, the statement is untrue, because 1) you can get some Vitamin C from animal foods, so fruits and vegetables are not the only source, and 2) the RDA is not based on what is needed on EVERY diet. Some amounts of nutrients require more of them, on certain diets, due to absorption, and an RDA is a range, which accounts for how people eat on the recommended diet of the country. For example, Vitamins A,D,E, and K are fat soluble, so by eating lower fat, you absorb them at a lesser rate, so you would need MORE in your RDA. Also, some nutrients are needed, like Vitamin C, to help absorb OTHER nutrients better if you get things like Iron from plant sources.. so get Iron from meat, and you need less Vitamin C. These are not opinions. So in theory, you might explain why people consuming no Vitamin C from plant sources, still does not have scurvy, after 10 years. Maybe it is less need of Vitamin C, maybe it is that you get enough from animal food sources.. that would require testing and studies, which will likely never happen, which is why so much of nutrition is opinion. For the majority of people, eating the recommended diet, the RDA's apply, based on if they sort of follow the guidelines in a general way. To reach THOSE RDA's, you probably have to consume some plants, but I don't believe those RDA's apply to people on different diets.. yes, that's an opinion.

The difference is that the previous poster did not state their opinions as opinions, without any leeway to suggest these were their thoughts. They made declarative sentences, which I believe I rightly took as a statement of FACT, and THAT is what I objected to.

So the problem is not that I criticized someone for stating an opinion, then did so myself. Probably half of what I say is opinion, and so are many of the responses. I love discussion, even with those who disagree. I can disagree, but when someone posts something in a way which seems to be stating a fact, that is far different.

The problem is that you seem to be unable to differentiate between an opinion, and a declarative sentence, which I think most people would think is stating a fact.. declaring it, even.

If you disagree, and think the previous poster's statement was in fact, NOT stated as fact, but WAS opinion, please correct me, and show me I was wrong believing that, and if true, then I will apologize to that person... but right now, what I hear is you suggesting that someone who has has an issue with someone stating opinions as facts, shouldn't have opinions. Sorry, I can. I just can't state them as facts, which I did not. You are simply equating 2 different things as the same thing.

I am sure I fail at this sometimes, and DO state things as fact which are not, and I expect to be called out for it.. it's not berating, but in this case I was definitely stating an opinion, and I try as hard as I can to word things to make sure that what is my opinion, is obvious. I don't think the previous poster tried at all, and my opinion is that they did not do so, because they don't think their statement IS an opinion.. I think they would disagree with your defense of them, and possibly even object to you saying they had an opinion. I'm pretty sure they felt what they said was a FACT. They certainly did not come back, and say it was a misunderstanding, and they meant it to be an opinion.. you are suggesting that.

It's the basis of your post.. that I criticized something, and then did the exact same thing.. so once it is noted that what they did and I did are NOT the same thing, you suddenly have no point.

If we want to look for Irony, how about you defending a person stating opinion as fact, then doing the same YOURSELF.. That may be YOUR experience... IS an opinion.. and also a fact.. but the second half of that sentence.. " but it isnt most people's. ".... is not FACT, although it appears you are saying it as fact. I'm not even saying that maybe it " isn't " most people's experience.. who knows what most people's experience is.. That would be about 165 million at least, just in America. All I am saying is whether it is or isn't, is not a fact.. all we can give is opinions. I have an opinion, and so do you, but I rarely say something I experience is a fact. That would be foolish, since my experience is even less common than average. Also, because many facts in the area of nutrition, are not actually facts, or are at least in doubt. Are bananas good for you? What about eggs? Nutrition is a bit more complicated, which is why I strive to not state things in a way which lead others to believe they are facts, unless I am pretty sure it is a fact.

Much of nutrition is still being debated, and the only place where it is not, is where everyone agrees on something, because there is data to prove it beyond a reasonable doubt. That ends debate, and I think that is the end goal of people stating opinions as fact.. to silence other opinions. Once something is fact, any other idea is wrong, and should not be said. So, if you do not want to hear different opinions, simply act as if your opinion is a fact, and once a majority agree, anyone saying otherwise, is deemed wrong, and someone no one should believe.

That's what I would do, if I supported something which ended up making 70.2% of people overweight or obese, and caused obesity, diabetes, cancer and heart disease epidemics. I would try to silence others who suggested my diet was the cause, discredit their ideas, and blame those who failed on my awesome plan.

But hey, that's just my opinion, right? ;) That wouldn't actually be done, would it? So all we are talking about is our opinions. I'm guessing you disagree, but that's the great thing about opinions.. what you think of my opinion is meaningless.

Sometimes, it keeps me from getting bored though. Thanks.

• russellholtslander1
    Options
    Another day done.. down to 251 lbs. I ate 3,138 calories yesterday, and lost 6/10ths of a lb. Did I burn off more calories? This is why people doubt CICO. Today, I'm only having 2,796 calories. Yesterday was pushing it a bit.

I cut out the cheese this morning, and cut down to 2 Tbsp. butter to cook my eggs since the pan is non-stick. Lunch is 1.1 lbs. of ground beef. Still using up the 80/20 GB I have, then buying 73/27 GB from Aldi's so it has more fat. Same with boneless, skinless chicken thighs. Harder to track whole thighs, but I want to start eating the skin. Get my fat from the food, not as much added fat.

I tracked my food a few days on another site, to see how MFP matched up, and just to get a more detailed nutrient makeup.. not something I plan to do much, MFP is great for my needs, BUT I do want to talk about something I discovered.. my eggs are from Eggland's Best. I entered generic Jumbo eggs, and I have trouble getting enough Vitamin E & D in my daily diet.. but when I did it on this other tracker, Eggland's Best popped up.. I never thought the brand mattered.. an egg is an egg. So when I look, my Vitamin D & E are 200-400% per day now. So I checked each food, thinking it was one day, and one food. It was the eggs. I eat 4 Jumbo eggs a day, which gets me 200% of my Vitamin D, and 168% of my Vitamin E. How is that possible. So I changed it to generic eggs, and it drops a bunch, I'm below the RDA again.

Turns out, that like cereals and milk, they somehow can fortify eggs, and add nutrients. This brand is supposed to give you 6x as much Vit. D, and 10x as much Vit. E, as a normal egg. I'm a little conflicted, because they are altering the egg, but it solves the problem of getting D & E. I'm good for the day before 7 a.m.

If I am OK with them adding nutrients not there in nature, then what else is OK.. we fortify cereals, bread, and milk, which makes them sources of nutrition. Usually we do this, because processing strips out some nutrition, but also, because we consider these foods staples of the American diet. A good healthy breakfast to start the day, and we know this, because we added the right amount of nutrients, to what we think is healthy food.

So what foods can have nutrients added to them, what does it entail.. how do you do it? This is tricky, because I would eat a cow, which eats grass ( a plant ), and I am trying to stick to the intent of ZC, as I try this diet out.. so it appears that they add marigold, alfalfa and corn to increase lutein. It seems from skimming the article, that they alter the feed, and the mineral deposits on the ground, to up these nutrients.. the chicken eats things like rice bran, and sea kelp, and certain minerals in the soil, which I am sure need to be spread out for them to consume as they eat off the ground.. and their eggs are more nutritious.

Basically, all the food that would make me overeat, and I avoid, which has these nutrients, can be gotten from the eggs, so I get it by eating eggs, not rice bran, or corn in my own diet.

Other Carnivore people I speak to, who have done this for years, think I worry too much about RDA's of nutrients.. they are healthy, and the rest is just numbers.. maybe, but I like data, and with B vitamins I get excess amounts, so is getting more Vitamin D& E a problem, even if it isn't a necessity?.. If I can eat a grass fed cow, is a corn fed chicken, who has calcium carbonate in their diet from adding ground limestone in the diet counter to the diet I am following? This adds calcium.

Beyond my personal ethical issues though, and if this process is OK.. suggesting that what the animal eats is not a problem, as long as *I* eat animal food sources, then can they add nutrients to beef? Is the chicken that laid the egg higher in nutrients? That sounds plausible, right?

We add nutrients to cereal, bread and milk, so people who consume those products, get nutrition, so is it possible to do the same to lower carb foods? Maybe it costs too much to buy these types of feed for cows, versus a smaller chicken?

If it is possible, that would remove this worry about people on low carb not getting enough nutrients, or at least give us peace of mind, knowing we at least hit all the minimum RDA's.

One concern is which nutrients they add.. I get 300-1200% of the RDA for most B vitamins, which includes these eggs, but what if they added more B vitamins to beef and pork? I'm guessing Eggland's Best is not thinking of low carbers when they do this, but people in general, so you would have to be carful to not reach a toxic level. Luckily, B12, which I am having 1161% of the RDA in today, has NO upper limit, but theoretically, if not practically, could you tailor low carb/no carb foods to deliver all the nutrition you need? I would not have thought so, or considered it, if I hadn't discovered this about these eggs.

Probably will never happen for some reason, but I find it interesting.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    My mom struggles staying above Underweight, despite getting a ton of variety - but her variety is mostly plant based whole foods. My brother like to joke that her meals are seven vegetables and a small piece of chicken, a bit of an exaggeration, and I would actually label some of those vegetables "starches," but you get the point.

She is moderate with calorie dense foods.
  • russellholtslander1
    Options
    Well, I'm stuck just above 250.. 251.6.. gained 6/10ths of a lb. in the past couple days. It was bound to happen eventually. I'm at 29 lbs. in 35 days, so still pretty good.

I have been working out. Today I am doing half my body, and the other half tomorrow.. splitting it into 4 workouts, made them too small, and they only took 10-15 minutes. Now I'm doing 2 sets x 5 exercises, and resting every 3rd day.

Blood sugars still in 70-110 range, and I did have 1 low blood sugar, but I ate 2 ozs. of extra sharp cheddar, as soon as my vision got blurry, and it went away 5 minutes later, and I didn't even get a headache from it, so probably not real low. I am off the basal Insulin, with permission from my doctor, but not the pills.. so the numbers are good, but pills still necessary to keep below 125 mg/dL most likely. Until the pills cause more low blood sugars, I'm stuck on them.. last time I got off the pills, I had low blood sugars 5-10 times a week for months, before they let me off the meds. Had to earn their trust, and it worked for 6 years, but I started eating high carb again, and got put back on meds in 2018, when my A1C crept back over 7.0 for 6 months. So I take the smallest dose of Glimiperide in the morning, and 50 mg of Januvia at night.. both smaller doses, but I think the next step is no pill, and that won't be something they do, just because I have 1 good A1C. I'm going to need to stay below 5.5 for a while.

Good news is, at 35 days, I have had no cheats, no desire to cheat, and can't imagine doing so. I love the food. I always got appetite suppression from eating very low carb, but I think the difference is eating more calories.. more meat, really. This is a pretty high protein diet for me, unlike Keto, or Atkins.

Today, my macro split is 32/68.. 3 grams of carbs from 4 Jumbo eggs. 217 grams of protein, and 207 grams of fat. I feel pretty good on 2/3 fat, instead of 80%. I ate 4 eggs, 3 sausage links, cooked in butter. Lunch is just 1.12 lbs.. and dinner is 12 ozs. of pork. It's not pork steak, but pre-cooked pork chops, sort of looking like ham steaks, circular, and exactly 4 ozs. a steak, but the ingredients are OK, and it says 0 grams of carbs, so I'm going to give it a try, since it's supposedly OK to just re-heat for 5 mins. We'll see if it bothers me after I eat it.

One thing about this woe.. if you are just buying meat, and eggs, and cooking them, is it means you are cooking 3 meals every day, and doing the dishes a lot.. greasy dishes. The pans are non-stick, so they are easier, but there are a lot of them at the end of the day. I could go out to eat, especially breakfast, get eggs and sausage, but it's expensive. I spend about $60 this week on groceries for me.. butter, eggs, meat/fish/fowl. That covers 9 of my 14 lunches and dinner, and all my breakfasts for the week, with some leftovers. If I go buy 6 eggs, and 3 sausage links at a restaurant, it will be $10-11, and $15 with a tip. So I could pay for 4 meals versus 16 meals. I have some leftover beef liver, steak and tuna to cover my other 5 meals. So when someone says eating this way is expensive, it might be because they choose to eat at restaurants, so someone else is doing the cooking and cleaning for at least on meal. I'm cheap, but also like to cook my own food as much as possible. So I limit myself to one breakfast a week on Sunday mornings, at most.. skipping it tomorrow. I can use the $15 to buy a lb. of filet mignon next week.

I did locate a Carnivore team, which is pretty inactive, but from previous posts I read, I think I am more strict than others. I tend to lean towards just plain meat, eggs, fats, and water.. and think maybe pre-packed, pre-cooked pork chops are a worry.. same with mayo. I'm switching back to whole chicken thighs, because I want to get whatever nutrition is in the skin. It's single digit amount of the RDA,, like 9% of Niacin, or 2% Vit. A ( skin from 1 lb. chicken ). Seems a lot of people just eat any meat, even if it is a hot dog. One carnivore guy on YouTube says it's OK to eat processed lunch meat and Spam, and maybe it is.. I don't have any issue when I eat tuna and mayo, or ham, which has carbs. So this pre-cooked pork chops shouldn't be an issue, but if I gain weight tomorrow, I'll probably never eat them again. :D

I'm thinking that since I am more strict, my foods that I consider risky.. add black pepper, since it does come from plants.. that these few items, are being done by a lot of ZC people, who are succeeding on this WOE, so since I haven't seen any issues so far, after 35 days, I pretty much have a set menu, if these pork chops don't cause any reaction for me. If they do, I'll just use pork steaks.

Pork/sausage, fish, chicken, steak/beef/GB, eggs, butter, mayo, water, and water, with garlic powder, black pepper, and salt, when desired. Just eat until full, which is about 2,800 calories these days.

Today, I am going to enjoy one of the benefits of losing 29 lbs., which is an event in the downtown of the nearest city.. they shut it down, and you can park, and walk around to visit the hundreds of tables.. vendors and people marketing different causes. I wouldn't have been able to walk this a month ago.

One thing I have not spoken about, which I wonder if anyone else experiences, is runny noses when I go in/out of ketosis. I spent hours blowing my nose, and spitting phlegm up, when I started ZC.. after several days of much higher carb, between doing Keto, and starting this WOE.. it happens every time. It isn't like a cold, not that insistent.. but every minute or so, in the morning, I would blow my nose, and have to clear my throat for a few hours, and it was worse the first day or 2 of this.. then it simply disappeared.. might be due to excess water retention? Anyways, it really has cleared up my breathing, for about a month now, and no more runny nose every morning.

I'm off to go to the library for some books, then spend a couple hours in downtown, then home for lunch, and college football.. and tonight I will go do my workout at the gym. I like it later, when there are less people there. Since I only do 5 exercises, waiting for others to finish on the machine, is more of an issue. Especially if it is my last exercise. I like to lift, and get out of there. Luckily, 3 exercises are with free weights, which no one at this gym seems to touch. They love the machines. I find them useful on the heavier lifts. I don't want to have a lot of weight on me, if I suddenly start having heart issues. This allows me to drop everything immediately, not something you can do with a free weight bench press, or squat, for example.
  • russellholtslander1
    Options
    Day 37, and I am down 30.2 lbs. Just 6/10ths of a lb. in the past 5 days though. I am getting pretty close to 250 however, which will be a big milestone.

Light day today, I had 4 Jumbo eggs, and 3 sausage links cooked in 3 Tbsp. salted butter. Lunch will be 1.35 lbs. of chicken thighs, and dinner is just 2 cans of tuna in water, and 3 Tbsp. mayonnaise.. just 2,191 calories. My macros are 36/1/63, and my protein is only 195 grams today, but when I woke up, I wasn't feeling like eating as much. I eat a big breakfast every morning, because my goal is to get food early, and have a smaller dinner. Originally, I had GB for lunch, and the chicken for dinner, since it is only 921 calories, but some days you wake up and just don't like the sound of what you have planned. I have some pork steaks ready to go, if I get done with dinner, and decide I could have another lb. of meat.

Going to work at the office for half a day, then hit the gym, and do Back, shoulders, and triceps. I try to stick to 12 sets a day, since I wear out faster on low carb, but that fits with my lifting style anyways. I can't do powerlifting exercises any more, in the way I used to, but even now, I lift heavy ( relatively ), and low rep. Six reps is normal for me. I will do 6 slow reps for lat pulldowns now, then rows, then delt presses, and laterals, and finally tri presses, and pressdowns. I use a lot more machines, mostly because of the type of gym I go to.. not a lot of free weights. I do 8 reps for the last 3 exercises, because they work smaller muscles. The goal is to stress the muscles, do the rest of my body, and take a rest day.. so the next time I do these exercises is 3 days from now. Hopefully, that allows me to grow a little muscle, while I lose the fat. I can't imagine doing 90 minute workouts, like I did in my 20's.. age is a factor, but while I have more energy in my daily life, it rapidly disappears after about 30 minutes at the gym. I can lift as heavy, just not for as long. I am slowly making gains though.

Then I plan to go home, eat my lunch, and cook my brother's dinner in the crockpot, since he works all day, and I don't.. he has beef chunks and a can of mixed veggies. At least it isn't macaroni & cheese, or something like that. He is doing moderate carb. He had tuna for lunch, and added celery.. still pretty low carb, and veggies don't tempt me. I will be smelling the beef chunks for 6 hours.. the only thing it might do, is make me eat a pork steak, and pop me over 3000 calories today. My afternoon I plan to spend reading a book. Not a very exciting day, but should be relaxing.
  • russellholtslander1
    Options
    Had a nice drop yesterday. down 1.2 lbs., to 249.2. Below 250 for the first time in a few years!

This morning, I had a 109 BG reading, and then ate 4 Jumbo eggs/3 Tbsp. butter, and then 4 ozs. of cheese. I only planned 2 ozs., but I cut 8 oz. bricks of cheese in 4 pcs., and I had 2 left, so I decided to have the other..before lunch, my BG was 124.. above where I want them.. I prefer 70-110, and would rather be LOW, than above 120. I think cheese is an item I have minor issues with, and that by consuming it, I am actually slowing down my weight loss, even though it is hard to notice, since I am losing quickly, because I am not yet 40 days into Carnivore, AND more importantly, it is keeping my BG levels elevated. It would become a major issue as my weight loss slows naturally, when I get closer to goal.. I might still lose 100 lbs., but at 180, will this cheese prevent weight loss, and be more noticeable, because I probably wouldn't be losing 1.2 lbs., ANY day of the week. I think I am going to try not eating any cheese for the next month.

I bought some 73/27 GB.. highest fat I can find. I cut down to only using salt, and stopped using garlic powder & black pepper. Lunch was 1.25 lbs. a quarter of the 5 lb. package of GB.. it adds 350 calories versus 80/20 GB. Dinner is a 1 lb. pork steak.. package was 4.00 lbs, and there are 4 steaks. I subtracted 20% for the bone, and so it's 12.8 ozs. of pork steak for dinner. I was going to eat 2 of them, but that pushed my calories to 4,583. That's when I noticed the extra 350 calories for lunch ( 1750 ), and that breakfast was up to 1105, due to the extra cheese, and 2 pork steaks added 1,728 calories.

I already ate the breakfast and lunch, so I decided to only eat 1 pork steak. This puts me at 3,719 calories today, which is way more than my usual. I did eat a bit less than normal yesterday.. 2,191.. I have been eating around 3000 most days, so maybe this is making up some ground.. 700 less than normal yesterday, 700 extra today. I had no problem eating breakfast and lunch, other than the high BG number. I hope a 1 lb. pork steak is enough, but I may end up eating the second one, and that worries me some. 4500 calories isn't supposed to matter on Carnivore, but it just sounds like a lot of energy to burn off. I'll have to see what I eat tonight, and then what happens tomorrow.

I went to the gym, and did 12 sets of chest, biceps, and legs.. and going for a 3.6 mile walk at 5 p.m. out to the lake and back. It's 70 degrees and sunny. Today and tommorrow are the last warm days.. highs in the 50's by the weekend. I have a lot of energy, but if I am going for a walk at 50 degrees, I'm going to need warmer clothes. Time to admit summer is over.

• sarah7591
    sarah7591 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Wow....great job! How come you gave up the garlic powder and black pepper? Just the taste or did you feel it was effecting your diet?
  • russellholtslander1
    Options
    These spices come from plant-based foods sarah.. garlic & peppercorns.

I am just being picky.. so down to salt, but after 40 days, I taste the meat a lot more.. not even using that much salt.

I also gave up cheese, and considering giving up butter, and buying some lard or beef tallow.. so non-dairy fat. I have some issues with dairy, and have always limited it.. no milk for decades, for example.. it makes me bloat, and cough up phlegm for hours. I LOVE cheese, so I was trying to slide just a little in, but probably best if I just quit cheese.. I never thought about butter as dairy, which now seems stupid, since I get it in the dairy. :D

Just trying to stick to the strictest interpretation of this WOE, so if I eventually decide this is not something I plan to stick to for good, that it isn't because I didn't give it a fair shot.

I gained some weight. Still 249.6, so not too much. I feel great. Going to gym soon, then taking a walk later. I am doing 3.6 miles out to the lake, but can't imagine walking farther.. this takes just over an hour. Also plan on stopping the walk to the lake, simply because the temp is dropping, and it feels colder by the lake. Poured this morning, but is dry now, so I can do a walk. 63 for a high, so not too cold yet.

This morning I had my PT/INR test today ( every 4-6 weeks ).. and my blood was a bit thin.. 3.3 when 2-3 is the desired range.. above 3 is thinner, and below 2 is thicker. since not eating any salad, and not consuming any mayo lately, I get very little Vitamin K, which thickens the blood and helps with clotting.. so Coumadin works against it, to thin the blood. So if I eat greens or soy, it counteracts the Vitamin K, and I need more Coumadin.

I always kept pretty steady, and in range.. 1 salad a week, and some mayo, and there is some Vit. K in chicken. Now I get the Vit K. in chicken, and from beef liver which I eat once every 1-2 weeks.. but not as much.. SO.. they REDUCED the amount of Coumadin I have to take! A nice side benefit. Basically it removes 2 half-pills I take twice a week.. now just 1 pill a day.

• russellholtslander1
    Options
    I am down to 248.8. Breakfast today was 5 sausage links, and 4 Jumbo eggs cooked in 2 Tbsp. butter. Lunch was the other half of my rack of ribs for lunch, and tonight I am having 5 lamb chops.

I have noticed that my sodium intake is up, which isn't causing any issues, like breathing poorly, or high BP.. my BP was 96/63 this morning.. BUT I am drinking more water, and since I don't get rid of fluids easily, this could cause weight gain, and if it adds up enough, it could cause breathing issues, and worse.. I am supposed to only drink 2 liters of fluid a day.. so paying attention to that today.. I have two 2 liter bottles. I can tell i have been drinking at least 3 liters a day lately, based on how little water this seems to be. I remeber when they put me on 2 liters.. I probably drank 1.5 gallons a day back then, and 2 liters seemed like it was impossible. I got used to it pretty quickly though, but lately, it has been wandering UPwards.. I stuck to 2 liters yesterday, and lost 8/10ths of a lb. Hopefully, it explains the recent slow weight loss. It isn' that slow, and not a big deal if it is just an adjustment period, but if it is just extra water consumption, I should see some decent weight loss over the next week.

Went to gym today, and plan to take a walk tonight, before dinner.. not much else going on, except going to buy a few groceries and pick up pills, right after I leave the office. Just finished the next week of meals for my brother and I, and do not need a lot of groceries. Mostly, fruit, vegetables, and salad/dressing for him.. he is eating moderate carb.. 40-80 g a day. My habit of going to the store for special meals, means I had a lot of meat in the freezer, so I only need to buy steak for one meal.

I am planning to switch to 2 meals a day. 6 a.m., and then at 3 p.m. My breakfasts will be less calories, simply because I really don't need butter, so 4 Jumbo eggs, with either 4 sausage links, or 6 slices of bacon. My portions of meat will be larger, and my " lunch " will be closer to 1800 calories, but what I am cutting is butter.. dropping me from 2800, to 2400 calories a day.

Lunch has always been something I struggle with. I love breakfast, and I love cooking dinner, but then I have this entire OTHER meal to make, in the middle of the day, when I am busy. I find myself trying to come up with something other than what I am having for dinner.. I have never found a LC lunch option.. it is usually some other dish, which is also a dinner. I forget lunch a lot, because I am busy, and not hungry, so I eat at 3 p.m. many days already, and then I have to push dinner back to 8 p.m. or later. The only reason I eat 3 meals a day, is because that is " normal ".. it was fine when I would eat a salad, or a sandwich.. something different.. but I'm eating meat, and all it does is make me come up with 14 meal ideas. With 7 meals, I can have a menu, where I rarely eat the same thing more than twice in a week. Plus less dishes to clean.
  • sarah7591
    sarah7591 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    You are doing great ! I imagine eating 2 meals a day will help with your blood sugar too.
  • Mpalamar
    Mpalamar Posts: 33 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Sounds like the EMC diet (eggs, meat, chess) which is a wonderful way to shed some pounds and it will balance out blood sugar levels and lower LDL and triglycerides, but it's not meant as a long term solution, typically after 30 days you should begin incorporating veggies back into your diet, and expanding from there. There is nothing wrong with keeping your carbs between 50g-100g per day. Fiber is important for heart heart too. What (if any) supplements are you taking? You won't find much selenium or Vitamin E in just meats, these guys are big in fighting against cancer, among other things.

What is your goal? To lose weight or to be healthy? They are not synonymous. You can be healthy and not be super skinny and you can be super skinny and be very unhealthy.

[edited by MFP Mods]