Things people say when you lose weight

Replies

• salleewins
    salleewins Posts: 2,308 Member
    Lietchi wrote: »
    I saw a friend last weekend that I hadn't seen in 18 months.
    The first thing out of her mouth, spotting me from afar, was "You've lost weight, no?!". And then other stuff like "I didn't realise you had a waist and nice straight shoulders, an hourglass figure! You used to be more of a rectangle." and how much my face has changed, much less round.
    No complaints from me, I've had so few people notice/acknowledge my weight loss so far. It was also a nice change to have someone ask me how I did it and actually listen to the answer :smiley:

Glad you didn't mind. I wouldn't want to hear the details. EXCELLENT JOB!!
  • salleewins
    They say, "You lost a lot of weight. Are you sick."

Yeah you are sick. Sick of hearing that that! Sorry.
  • salleewins
    Kaitie9399 wrote: »
    Ok, I've got to get it off my chest. My MIL. Grr. Last year around this time she gave me an oh so helpful comment 'your face looks gaunt, you should stop losing weight'. Thanks MIL, thanks. She doesn't realize it but I gave her the silent treatment for the better part of 6 months after that comment.

Yesterday, 'You look great! You sure you're not sick?' :s WTH. I freakin' can't stand her.

:s

UGH. Can you tell her? Might get another round however if you do, but it might feel better, idk.
  • salleewins
    edited October 2021
    EyeOTS wrote: »
    Absolutely! Weight loss or gain is a common side effect for a lot of medications and doctors should be checking that.

Or disorders. The thing that alerted me to the fact that my thyroid was misbehaving (again; we'll take the rest of it out in January) was that my weight loss, which had been trickling merrily along at a pound a week suddenly stopped dead.

Maybe try a good holistic Dr. before then, if possible to get another opinion, if you think and haven't done before. The one here has done a world of good here for my overall health. Also you may have heard of her before, but just in case not, Dr. Amy Myers, online, too, talks a lot about the thyroid connection. She has a book, too. She is on the top of her game in my opinion. Anyways what ever you do, I wish you and everyone here the best.
  • salleewins
    alukowsky wrote: »
    I lost 71 pounds 4 years ago. All the comments I got were positive: "You look great!" "Wow; how'd you do it? (so I can do it too)" "You're my hero!" That last one kinda makes me feel bad now because I've regained a lot of it over the past year -- but I'm working on losing it again.

I am sure you still look great. You will do it!!
  • salleewins
    swimmom_1 wrote: »
    I've had some nice comments at work. "You are doing great." "You are looking great." One girl said, "When I get my act together and want to lose this weight, I'm going to talk to you about your plan. It is working so well."

Isn't this one nice??
  • salleewins
    I am sorry for the thoughtless things people have told you all on here!! Any pictures I can see, look fantastic!!

I am learning hard that we don't have time on this earth to deal with these worthless petty things people can say. We have goals here. We have people to reach to be an example and to help. I listened to a great clip on YouTube yesterday from Steve Harvey. It is faith based and so worth hearing. I am not always in love with his behavior on the game show, but obviously he has had much success. Also Rebecca Zung, lawyer, talks a lot about narcissism and toxicity and she has ways of letting these comments roll off her back. She says that she is like an observer with people for one thing...and she has a saying that she starts with to answer people. I think it goes like, "I can see you saying that...(it keeps it impersonal).... I am striving for it. She is on YouTube as well. I am imaging an invisible shield around me where these comments can bounce off that I don't care to hear and focus right back to all my goals in life like Steve Harvey says (on the goal focus=he has stuff to look right back to on his phone).. This will take continued work, but our self worth is worth it. I am putting goals on my phone right now. :)
  • salleewins wrote: »
    EyeOTS wrote: »
    Absolutely! Weight loss or gain is a common side effect for a lot of medications and doctors should be checking that.

Or disorders. The thing that alerted me to the fact that my thyroid was misbehaving (again; we'll take the rest of it out in January) was that my weight loss, which had been trickling merrily along at a pound a week suddenly stopped dead.

Maybe try a good holistic Dr. before then, if possible to get another opinion, if you think and haven't done before. The one here has done a world of good here for my overall health. Also you may have heard of her before, but just in case not, Dr. Amy Myers, online, too, talks a lot about the thyroid connection. She has a book, too. She is on the top of her game in my opinion. Anyways what ever you do, I wish you and everyone here the best.

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!