At Goal & Successfully Maintaining. So Why Am I Doing This All Over Again?

Options

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,461 Member
    Options
    We did a grocery shop today, before BL heads out. Interesting experience. Both of us turning packages over, walking away from most.

Me, because I’m on a mission to increase protein, and am label-looking in lame hopes of finding a magic bullet.

Him, because he’s in the learning stage, and the more nutrition labels you familiarize yourself with, the better your chances of success.

I call that the Wow Stage. As in, “Wow! That (insert thing I used to eat by the bag full) has how many calories?!”

I still experience that, btw. I had a handful of Dunkin Munchkins last weekend, and nearly fell off the sofa when I went to log those suckers. My record Wow moment, though, was logging some wings I ate at a party catered by Hooters. Ye Gods.

He’s still doing well. Declined dessert tonight because he opted to eat his whole half of the homemade pizza. He’s hanging in there, and also picking up some additional steps walking our new dog, Bean.

BTW, he’s making suggestions for the grocery list these days. 😱 That NEVER happened before!

After months of turning his nose up at my wraps, he has decided CarbSmart tortillas are the greatest thing since, uh, sliced bread. 45 calories for a generous sized flour tortilla, and I defy you to taste any difference between it and a “regular” flour tortilla.

So when the package of CarbSmarts dwindles down, he reminds me. He also got mad Kraft discontinued their very good low fat Mayo, and sat down and researched a replacement. I’m ordering some Walden Farms to try at his request, since I need to replenish their honey mustard and honey balsamic dressings anyway, and we can only find them online. BTW, their chocolate syrup is pretty darn good, and he likes their ketchup and pancake syrup. Almost all their products are zero calorie.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    FYI - I found that CarbSmarts spiked my blood glucose suspiciously high, to the point that I wrote to the company about it. I don’t trust their package info. Has your husband been testing after eating them? It may just be a me thing, but take the stated nutritional info with a grain of salt.
  • springlering62
    Options
    FYI - I found that CarbSmarts spiked my blood glucose suspiciously high, to the point that I wrote to the company about it. I don’t trust their package info. Has your husband been testing after eating them? It may just be a me thing, but take the stated nutritional info with a grain of salt.

He doesn’t check his levels daily. Lets his doctor check his A1C. He says he hasn’t noticed any issues, though, and he has been eating a couple a day.

I do often wonder about labeling, though. I love a particular brand of chicken sausage that was listed at 60 calories each for a couple years and suddenly jumped to 110. And it puzzles me how plain fat free cottage cheese can be 60/serving at one store and 90 at the next for same ingredients and serving size/grams. Ditto fat free yogurt and fat free half and half. There’s a 20% range between brands.
  • dralicephd
    dralicephd Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Thanks @springlering62 for this thread. I've really enjoyed reading through the journey and all the thoughtful advice.

Congrats to your hubby on the NSV! I recently was able to get into some pants that were unwearable 3 months ago. It's a good feeling.
  • springlering62
    Options

I realized today we are actually eating the La Banderita Carb Counter tortillas. Changed over when our local Lidl began carrying them dirt cheap. Been very happy with themcdjx2s94ykpq.jpeg
    od9m6iuyj0x3.jpeg
  • SavageMrsMoose
    SavageMrsMoose Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Absolutely love this thread! You an your husband are amazing!
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,842 Member
    Options
    Thanks for reminding me about that NSV thread! When I was losing I had it bookmarked and always enjoyed the positive posts, especially on those days that I was struggling. I haven't looked at it for a few years and just took a peek at it now. Yep, it's still the same and I've bookmarked it again :)
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options

Anyway, this new dog will walk it off me in a matter of no time. I don’t understand how a dog with six inch legs can pound pavement for miles a day, and go berserk with joy at the thought of yet another walk.

That’s how WE should be about exercise.

Love that thought! Brought a needed smile to my face. Thank you for the observation.

• springlering62
    Options
    Lmao that MFP filters archaic terms involving roosters as profanity.
  • lesdarts180
    lesdarts180 Posts: 2,726 Member
    Options
    Ha Ha - I read the phrase "kitten-a-hoop" without registering it as a MFP correction, I just assumed it was a strange Americanism that I didn't know about. (I'm a Brit, but my American DIL and I frequently have conversations about the differences in language)
  • dralicephd
    dralicephd Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    haha... I kept trying to replace kitten with various cuss words and none of them seemed correct. Thanks for clarifying! lol

I love hearing about your husband's progress! Sorry about your daughter's reaction.