At Goal & Successfully Maintaining. So Why Am I Doing This All Over Again?

Options

Replies

• BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    Not sure I’d call it beautiful. Poignant, definitely, but beautiful? Each of those flags represents a life lost in the name of terrorism.

That’s not beauty.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Cookout onion rings are my favorite things, ever, because they're so relatively low calorie and still give me fried foods.

...I used to like hotdogs. Then decided I didn't like them enough for the calories. I just tend to find whatever the jr burger is in most places and throw on lettuce and tomato and am much happier.

• LeeH31
    LeeH31 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    That is an amazing turn around for him. Kudos to his extraordinary dedication to his mission! Sir, we salute you!
    :grin:
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    BL logged an hour fitness class using the MFP “add exercise” function. MFP calculated 794 calories burned. Huh?!

Adding a Tai Chi class was good for 450+.

No way, Jose. I’ve done that class with him many times and I can’t see it.

I think this explains some of the puzzlingly super high calorie burns reported by some of my MFP friends on their automated feeds.

MFP is set up for you to eat your exercise calories back. Many users buffer reporting errors by eating half of them. But if your exercise calories are wonky, you can see the problem.

If you feel like you’ve plateaued or aren’t losing fast enough, take a look at your calorie burns and ask here on the forums or one of your trusted, more experienced “friends” if the calorie burn looks accurate. You can PM any linked friend if you’re too shy to ask publicly. The other users here are so good about answering and sharing.

Better yet, invest in a fitness tracker. There’s tons out there at all price points, or you can buy used ones off Marketplace, etc. Borrow one from a friend or family member and give it a test run.

It’s pretty easy to connect and sync a tracker with MFP and let technology do the work* for you.

We are waiting for the Apple Watch 7 launch in a couple weeks to see how we’ll add to and shuffle our trackers. (Holding our breath to to see if the rumored sugar monitoring will finally be a reality.)

BL has pooh-pooh’ed the value of a tracker until now (he’s silently muttered “obsessive” under his breath at me more than once). Now he “gets” the value of accurately recording his calories.

(*some trackers require a break-in period to sorta learn your metabolism and habits before they become as potentially accurate as they may be. That’s my simple explanation.

Oh, and you’ll also discover trackers generally report far fewer calories than the calculators built into gym equipment. My own watch records 1/3 fewer calories burned than the treadmill at my gym, even when I do take the time to enter my age and weight prior to starting a session. My watch even calculates about 20% less than my own home stationary bike, which has been exclusively used by me.)

Yes, when I used the entry "Weight training, free weights" I was puzzled about the numerous posts that said lifting weights didn't burn many calories, because I sure got a lot from that entry. I asked about it, and switched to "Strength training (weight lifting, weight training)" which earns about 60% of the calories :cry:

I garden a lot and "Gardening, general" gives a hefty amount of calories, but I only use it if I've been doing heavy work like digging with a shovel. I use two other custom entries for lighter gardening.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    BL logged an hour fitness class using the MFP “add exercise” function. MFP calculated 794 calories burned. Huh?!

Adding a Tai Chi class was good for 450+.

No way, Jose. I’ve done that class with him many times and I can’t see it.

I think this explains some of the puzzlingly super high calorie burns reported by some of my MFP friends on their automated feeds.

MFP is set up for you to eat your exercise calories back. Many users buffer reporting errors by eating half of them. But if your exercise calories are wonky, you can see the problem.

If you feel like you’ve plateaued or aren’t losing fast enough, take a look at your calorie burns and ask here on the forums or one of your trusted, more experienced “friends” if the calorie burn looks accurate. You can PM any linked friend if you’re too shy to ask publicly. The other users here are so good about answering and sharing.

Better yet, invest in a fitness tracker. There’s tons out there at all price points, or you can buy used ones off Marketplace, etc. Borrow one from a friend or family member and give it a test run.

It’s pretty easy to connect and sync a tracker with MFP and let technology do the work* for you.

We are waiting for the Apple Watch 7 launch in a couple weeks to see how we’ll add to and shuffle our trackers. (Holding our breath to to see if the rumored sugar monitoring will finally be a reality.)

BL has pooh-pooh’ed the value of a tracker until now (he’s silently muttered “obsessive” under his breath at me more than once). Now he “gets” the value of accurately recording his calories.

(*some trackers require a break-in period to sorta learn your metabolism and habits before they become as potentially accurate as they may be. That’s my simple explanation.

Oh, and you’ll also discover trackers generally report far fewer calories than the calculators built into gym equipment. My own watch records 1/3 fewer calories burned than the treadmill at my gym, even when I do take the time to enter my age and weight prior to starting a session. My watch even calculates about 20% less than my own home stationary bike, which has been exclusively used by me.)

Yes, when I used the entry "Weight training, free weights" I was puzzled about the numerous posts that said lifting weights didn't burn many calories, because I sure got a lot from that entry. I asked about it, and switched to "Strength training (weight lifting, weight training)" which earns about 60% of the calories :cry:

I garden a lot and "Gardening, general" gives a hefty amount of calories, but I only use it if I've been doing heavy work like digging with a shovel. I use two other custom entries for lighter gardening.

Oh god, the calorie estimate burns on 'hiking - cross country' and 'hiking - < 10lbs pack ' are INSANE. If I'm doing a lot of elevation changes and really rough terrain, okay, I'll take them but I probably did not in fact earn twice (or more!) the calories of walking at a similar pace, walking in the woods for an hour with some minor elevation changes and avoiding roots and rocks.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    But he’s already reached the “thinking about it” stage, and that’s awesome.
    that usually comes right before the 'pre logging' stage.

but you and i know that ;)

I bet he comes around to it

LOL

I'd definitely encourage people new to MFP to pre-log at least initially.

I find pre-logging new meals very helpful. So for me, that's usually just dinner, as my breakfasts and lunches are pretty standard. I also do it if I want to work in calorie dense foods like peanut butter or ice cream.

I also pre-logged for a time when I was trying to increase protein. Currently I'm focusing on decreasing fat and saturated fat and increasing fiber. I got the fiber part under control right away, but pre-logging is still useful for the fats, especially if I also want peanut butter.