At Goal & Successfully Maintaining. So Why Am I Doing This All Over Again?

Options

Replies

• frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,185 Member
    Options
    Btw guys like you are good to have around.

At one point we had four microcars and a two car garage. We could get all four in the garage, but it inevitably involved drama moving cars around to get the one we wanted out.

Al looked at us like we were morons and said,”They’re tiny cars. Why don’t you just park them all in the driveway at an angle and back out the one you want?”

😶

44dbm3tvtvuo.jpeg

I can’t believe that pic is still online. The internet never forgets.

You mean those cars don't fold up into suitcases?! 😮

Geometry is fun too. My brothers and I learned how to pack groceries on monthly trips for food. We developed the uncanny ability to seemingly pack a greater volume of food than there was volume of space! 😂
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    Sadly, knowing math and beating the odds (i.e. the house) are two different things. :(
    Otherwise, I'd be buying drinks protein shakes or smoothies for everybody! 😂

But math requires critical thinking and problem solving.

Speaking of which, I got a Kroger flyer with a delectable chocolate praline pecan bread pudding recipe that had me drooling. I can’t justify a chocolate one, but I got in the kitchen and started throwing low cal stuff in a bowl to see what I could make.

I managed a really great 10” cast iron skillet sized bread pudding for 1193 calories. It rose beautifully. (I’ve never made bread pudding before so the rising was a total surprise.)

That’s about 300 calories for a generous quarter pan. Woot! And it was delicious reheated.

Next up, I’ll experiment to whittle down the calories some more, while keeping flavor. I’m pretty sure I can get it down another 150-200 calories, possibly more.

I’ll post the recipe once I’ve tweaked it.

Have you had any successful calorie experiments or substitutions?

I assume you know about the famous protein cheesecake?
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,425 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Sadly, knowing math and beating the odds (i.e. the house) are two different things. :(

Speaking of which, I got a Kroger flyer with a delectable chocolate praline pecan bread pudding recipe that had me drooling. I can’t justify a chocolate one, but I got in the kitchen and started throwing low cal stuff in a bowl to see what I could make.

I managed a really great 10” cast iron skillet sized bread pudding for 1193 calories. It rose beautifully. (I’ve never made bread pudding before so the rising was a total surprise.)

That’s about 300 calories for a generous quarter pan. Woot! And it was delicious reheated.

Next up, I’ll experiment to whittle down the calories some more, while keeping flavor. I’m pretty sure I can get it down another 150-200 calories, possibly more.

I I do not. I make a mousse-y one out of Greek yogurt and cheesecake instant pudding, topped with berries. But I’m very interested.
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,830 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options

I I do not. I make a mousse-y one out of Greek yogurt and cheesecake instant pudding, topped with berries. But I’m very interested.

I love the protein powder cheese cake recipe but haven't made it for a couple of years. Thanks for reminding me! I don't have the link, I just took a screenshot of the recipe from the forum. If no one has the link I'll post the screenshot, but I'm sure AnnPT77 will :)
  • AnnPT77
    Options

Uh-oh . . . I think the old one that was really popular has been deleted! (Apologies. I'll keep looking.)
  • AnnPT77
    Options

I love the protein powder cheese cake recipe but haven't made it for a couple of years. Thanks for reminding me! I don't have the link, I just took a screenshot of the recipe from the forum. If no one has the link I'll post the screenshot, but I'm sure AnnPT77 will :)

@ridiculous59, if you've got it handy, please post it. I thought it'd be easy to find again, but the originator of the one I'm thinking of seems to have been deleted, along with posts. 😬
  • springlering62
    Options
    Thanks, @ridiculous59 !
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    That looks like the one I remember, @ridiculous59: Thanks for bailing me out. Really low calorie, high protein, and people who tried it raved about it. (I thought about trying it, but never have protein powder around here, didn't get around to it . . . . ). IIRC, whey protein was considered best to use in this case.
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    That looks like the one I remember, @ridiculous59: Thanks for bailing me out. Really low calorie, high protein, and people who tried it raved about it. (I thought about trying it, but never have protein powder around here, didn't get around to it . . . . ). IIRC, whey protein was considered best to use in this case.

I don't have protein powder in the house either. I'd rather eat "real" food LOL. But I can buy the Vega brand in single serving packets so I'd pick up a couple if I planned to make this.
  • springlering62
    Options
    The first one I tried was Bob’s Red Mill Whey. I really like it but it’s hard to find and expensive. I just bought a giant tub of Naked whey. It’s ok. No flavor, but it just doesn’t blend well even if I take my dandy OXO egg beater to it. (Now there’s a great diet tool!)
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    LeeH31 wrote: »
    @ythannah a tiny secret about those grocery store muffins . . . they start out as white or yellow cake mix!

I'm not surprised! It's been years since I've eaten one, it was something quick to grab on a day when I'd forgotten lunch and was short on time, but they were definitely more like small personal cakes than anything else. Yet people tend to perceive muffins as a "healthier" choice.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Muffins, back in the day - like 30-ish years ago? - were mostly but not exclusively more like a bread-ish thing, only a little sweet (except some seriously fruity ones, maybe - blueberry as the flagship for that). Muffins have gotten much bigger, oilier, sweeter . . . on average, since my youth.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    So today is sneaky calorie day.

“I’ll have Words You Never Thought Would Cross Your Lips for 500” (calories, that is), lol.

Best of luck concocting tempting treats!

My solution for shovelling in calories on an unhappy stomach earlier this year was fruit juice, some of which are very high calorie. And I figured at least there was some nutritional value there.