At Goal & Successfully Maintaining. So Why Am I Doing This All Over Again?

Options

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,428 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Just a note: SOME fallen and I can't get up services DO come with automatic fall detection and a call back from the service to which you have to respond in at least a partially coherent manner for the alarm to be cancelled .

Good to know. I googled and the first couple that came up didn’t mention it. It appeared you had to press a button on the necklace or a shower unit to summon help.

After we got held up at work some 25 years ago, the alarm company gave us similar necklaces. They lasted about a week before we tired of them and stuck them in a drawer.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Brief thread diversion since I have your attention, lol. I mentioned this in passing to a friend earlier this morning, and it’s worth sharing.

Do you (or an older relative) have an Apple Watch? Have you enabled fall detection? It automatically calls 911 if it detects a fall and detects no further movement, and you don’t then respond to a chime.

My neighbor passed out in the bathroom and bashed her head on the counter as she fell. Her husband was astonished to find EMS at the door. He didn’t even know she’d fallen.

Her watch saved her life.

If she’d had one of those “I’ve fallen and can’t get up” necklaces, it wouldn’t have helped. The necklaces require you to physically hit the button.

The Apple service is part of the watch features, so no monthly subscription fee required.

Wow! Technology!!!!

You can enable fall detection via the Apple Watch app on your phone, under the “emergency SOS” tab.

hey im the friend in question you mentioned it to LOL

that actually MAY be a selling point for me. As you know, we live on a farm, and during the day I am here alone. Farm work can be dangerous work, and while I do try (mostly at hubbys insistence) to leave the more dangerous things to him, there are times when I HAVE to do something RIGHT THEN, or that simply an accident could happen (remember the chickens riding goats stampede? LOL). I can only hope that the Guardians would realize EMS was there to HELP their mama and not to kill me or their herd....

Oh my god i don't want to derail springle's thread but if there are pictures of this incident i NEED to see them

On topic: that's cool the apple watch has that feature, i do wish you and your neighbor could have learned about it less dramatically, though - i hope his wife will be okay.

ill send a friend request lol
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    How do you make cake batter pancakes? They sound yummy!
  • LeeH31
    LeeH31 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    @springerling62 Oh my! I am laughing because my DH also thinks condiments don't count. It is not unusual to see him slather a good 1/2 cup of sour cream on a potato, and he "ices" his bread with butter and jam. No skim layer, I mean a VISIBLE layer of butter topped with jam. Grilled cheese. . . is only good with 2-3 slices of good ole American cheese, the bread isn't visible under the butter. Sigh. Hugs my dear, and congrats again on getting your man on board!
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the pancake recipes. Think we will have to try them!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Finding yourself nibbly during the day? Try experimenting with your macros (staying within your calorie goal, of course).

You may find that increasing your carbs, protein or fat intake a little higher keeps you fuller, for longer, and eliminates grazing. Some people find that increasing their fiber intake has a similar result.

BL is experimenting with his macros.

For him, so far, higher carbs seems to be more satiating. He’s happy with heartier breads, waffles, sandwiches and so on. They keep him full.

BL is diabetic, so higher carb might seem contraindicated, but he’s eating so carefully and minding his goals now, adding in far more vegetables, (and far fewer Cheez-It’s!) that overall he’s doing way better than before, and that still represents a vast improvement.

I’d be gnawing my arm off eating carb heavy. For me, high protein is the ticket. I eat a lot of lean chicken breast, yogurt, cottage cheese, and beef jerky.

If you need fats for satiation, any nut butter, avocado, cheeses, some cuts of meat, dark chocolate, olive oil, etc will bump your fat macro.

Everyone is different.

You have to find which way of eating works best for you.

As a type 2 I’m very interested in this aspect of your husband’s experience. Would you feel comfortable sharing his blood work numbers and how they change as he loses weight and changes his lifestyle?
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,428 Member
    Options
    PS: I really appreciate the ladies chiming in here about experiences with their own spouses.

If anyone knows any easier way to share meals, I’d appreciate it. It was grueling entering mac and cheese, pecan chicken, red beans and rice, etc. LOTS of ingredients in those recipes.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I've heard that you can copy meals out of your friend's diaries into your own, but I've never tried to do it so I don't know if that's true.