At Goal & Successfully Maintaining. So Why Am I Doing This All Over Again?

Options

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,440 Member
    Options
    Cheesy567 wrote: »
    I've heard that you can copy meals out of your friend's diaries into your own, but I've never tried to do it so I don't know if that's true.

Yes, you can set a meal to be “public” “share with friends” or “private”. Do the database a favor and keep it to your friends or yourself.

There isn’t a way to share recipes though. It’s something requested rather frequently on the suggestions board it seems.

You are able to go back and edit meals, though. And you can always have extra entries in a meal that you delete. I’ll use a meal for frequent items that fall out of my history list sometimes; I have one called “use these chicken entries” that has all the USDA chicken entries I use, raw and roasted, so I don’t have to waste time searching. I’ll enter that meal if I need to, and delete the ones I don’t need, if something has fallen out of my recent history.

I entered a meal and we both searched the database for it, but neither of us could find it in the database.

So I uploaded it to my feed. He was able to drill down, “capture” and save the meal, and I deleted the post from my feed.

The meal was called Thaicoon Teriyaki Sushi Box Lunch Special
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,114 Member
    Options
    Can't he just directly look at your diary and then copy from there?
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    @springlering62 I “captured” your breakfast today as a meal, edited it to delete the coffee, and entered it as breakfast tomorrow. See if that looks right as your pancake recipe.

You can capture a meal at once if you click on the ellipsis by the meal. Saves the time of doing it an entry at a time

You could enter the meal for the both of you as a full recipe, then have BL save it on his account too. When you enter the meal, it gives the option to alter the “serving” of the meal (I checked this morning). So, you could enter the 1/3 and BL could enter the 1/4 serving each time you enter it.

I couldn’t find the meal you had listed by search, either. You could try searching for some of my meals, I use the imaginary brand “SJK” or “SJK’s” or “SJK’s own” on my recipes and meals- search for those and see if anything comes up for you. You might have to see that you’re on the meals tab in the search field, at least in the iOS app.
  • springlering62
    Options
    @springlering62 I “captured” your breakfast today as a meal, edited it to delete the coffee, and entered it as breakfast tomorrow. See if that looks right as your pancake recipe.

You can capture a meal at once if you click on the ellipsis by the meal. Saves the time of doing it an entry at a time

You could enter the meal for the both of you as a full recipe, then have BL save it on his account too. When you enter the meal, it gives the option to alter the “serving” of the meal (I checked this morning). So, you could enter the 1/3 and BL could enter the 1/4 serving each time you enter it.

I couldn’t find the meal you had listed by search, either. You could try searching for some of my meals, I use the imaginary brand “SJK” or “SJK’s” or “SJK’s own” on my recipes and meals- search for those and see if anything comes up for you. You might have to see that you’re on the meals tab in the search field, at least in the iOS app.

Oh ho! You are a genie-yous that works!

Re: the fractional breakfast, that won’t work, though. If I have .33 and he has .25, that leaves .42 for breakfast and that math don’t work for nobody, or leaves an odd man out and I have to cook again for one or the other of us. I guess I’ll have to copy the meal, make it 1.16 servings, increase the bisquick, eggs, etc to wierd amounts. Can’t increase the cake mix. It’s “fi-nite” unless I crack open a new box.
  • Cheesy567
    Options
    Oh, gotcha! Do you have a standard recipe thats “close enough” in ratios, that you know makes a “1.0” to go off of? Like, you could make it for 100gm servings, and the meal “serving” equates to that 100gm?

Pancakes are hard though, you have to tweak the batter just so.

That’s where the meal function lacks compared to the recipe function, and it would be so nice to just be able to share the recipe.

I guess you could log one full serving of a recipe on your account and have him capture that, and then adjust? How does that work? The “slaw” entry yesterday on mine is a recipe if you want to play around with that and see what happens
  • ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Just found this thread. Thanks for sharing your/your BL's journey. Way to go for both of you! It does sound like the training wheels are coming off for him as he's been learning from you!

My husband is low-carb and has had success with that. My stomach didn't appreciate that program after 6-9 months and I'm eating more plant-based and no meat. It's the first time in our 31 years together that our meals can be very different. Whatever works!

Wishing you both the best!
  • springlering62
    Options
    Oh, gotcha! Do you have a standard recipe thats “close enough” in ratios, that you know makes a “1.0” to go off of? Like, you could make it for 100gm servings, and the meal “serving” equates to that 100gm?

That’s where the meal function lacks compared to the recipe function, and it would be so nice to just be able to share the recipe.

I guess you could log one full serving of a recipe on your account and have him capture that, and then adjust? How does that work? The “slaw” entry yesterday on mine is a recipe if you want to play around with that and see what happens

Maybe I’m confusing you. Logging it is fine. We just change the quantity of complete meal (shown as 1 serving) to .26 servings for him, .33 for me.

What’s muddling my head is since in the course of 2 days, I'd prefer to eat .33 + .33 and he eats .25 and .25, it’s a PITA to convert the recipe ingredients to 1.16. It was so beautifully easy to make using exactly 1/3 a box of cake mix. At least the egg I can supplement with liquid egg white, lol. Greatest invention since sliced bread, btw.
  • Cheesy567
    Options

Maybe I’m confusing you. Logging it is fine. We just change the quantity of complete meal (shown as 1 serving) to .26 servings for him, .33 for me.

What’s muddling my head is since in the course of 2 days, I'd prefer to eat .33 + .33 and he eats .25 and .25, it’s a PITA to convert the recipe ingredients to 1.16. It was so beautifully easy to make using exactly 1/3 a box of cake mix. At least the egg I can supplement with liquid egg white, lol. Greatest invention since sliced bread, btw.

I see now! I don’t know how to fix that, other than scaling way up and freezing them, maybe? Or switching your portions to 1/4 plus a something to round out your breakfast— an egg? Extra fruit? Change is hard. Math is fun but not at breakfast.

Maybe make equal parts, and just steal a bite off his?😂

Love the extent to which you’re going for BL, definitely setting him up for success.
  • hjahangiri
    hjahangiri Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    ...I leaned in hard on doc’s words and whispered sultrily,”and I want Beloved by my side for as many more years as possible.”

:)@mickirom - another one who refers to her husband as her "Beloved"!

@springlering62 - this is a really inspirational post. I love your before and after photo!

• penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I just read through this thread and I love it so much! Glad you guys are working together on this and best wishes for your BL's continued success! <3
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    ggeise14 wrote: »
    My husband is low-carb and has had success with that. My stomach didn't appreciate that program after 6-9 months and I'm eating more plant-based and no meat. It's the first time in our 31 years together that our meals can be very different. Whatever works!

This is basically our dilemma too. The SO is now pre-diabetic and his dr has him on 100 carbs max daily until his next appointment. I am pescetarian and consume a LOT of fruit, veg and legumes.

I made him an account on here years ago when he first wanted to lose weight. The big problem is that he lives at his job site 50% of the time and eats cafeteria style so he has to guesstimate meals. He has no clue about portion sizes, plus he had a tendency to choose database entries with the lowest calories to make the numbers fit his calorie goal. Needless to say, it wasn't a success.

He's not logging this time around but at least he is more motivated to lower his blood sugar. Fortunately he's accustomed to weighing my food, at least the protein part of a meal. I've told him repeatedly that he has to weigh for accuracy, not eyeball portion size.

We went for semi fast food (local burger joint) last week. He commented that he thought he was close to his limit of 100. I pulled up some comparable database entries for his meal and the carbs totalled 114. Yeah, sorry dude, you're OVER from just that one meal. He still has a lot to learn.

I'm happy that Spring's BL is cluing in a lot faster!
  • bgorman65
    bgorman65 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I see you have some gym equipment in what looks like your garage. Do you have a recommendation for the single most useful piece or set of equipment for weight LOSS? Even better, do you have a specific suggestion for equipment or a website, book, blog, Pinterest, whatever to guide me in doing bodyweight exercises? My exercise goals will be different once I get to my final weight goal, but right now burning calories is my primary goal. I'm saving bodyweight exercises on my Pinterest page as I see them, but it's already too many and probably not at all balanced.

Tell your husband that lots of members are pulling for him! :)
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    I just want to know. Was that Mr @ythannah who disagreed? 😂

If his account was still active, I'm sure he would! :D He never bothered with the forums last time, although he knows I participate.

Yay for securing the apple fritters!!