Zero Carb eating

Options

Replies

• ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Mpalamar wrote: »
    Sounds like the EMC diet (eggs, meat, chess) which is a wonderful way to shed some pounds and it will balance out blood sugar levels and lower LDL and triglycerides, but it's not meant as a long term solution, typically after 30 days you should begin incorporating veggies back into your diet, and expanding from there. There is nothing wrong with keeping your carbs between 50g-100g per day. Fiber is important for heart heart too. What (if any) supplements are you taking? You won't find much selenium or Vitamin E in just meats, these guys are big in fighting against cancer, among other things.

What is your goal? To lose weight or to be healthy? They are not synonymous. You can be healthy and not be super skinny and you can be super skinny and be very unhealthy.

PM me if you want, I am a personal trainer and holistic nutritionist, we can talk.

Have you read this thread? The OP is doing this per doctor's orders.

The OP is also eating eggs every day, which are a decent source of lecithin (vitamin e).
  • russellholtslander1
    russellholtslander1 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Well, I had a brisket yesterday. Due to only needing 1 meal, since I had leftover meat, due to substitutions throughout the previous 2 weeks, I just grabbed it at Krogers. It was in a sealed plastic bag, with a spice packet, and said right on the label.. 940mg Na, per 4 ozs.. it was 1.61 lbs.

I didn't really read what it was though, and didn't know flat cut was the leaner cut. Didn't know that there are BEEF briskets, and CORNED BEEF briskets.. big difference. I tossed out the spice packet, and washed the meat, thinking.. THAT will get most of the salt off.. now it's just BEEF.. so I salted both sides, tossed it in the oven for 60 minutes on 425, then pulled it out, added water, and covered it with more foil, and did 2 hours at 300.

The meat was falling apart, and of course, corned beef is delicious, but it likely had 6000 mg of Na on it, as near as I can tell. I went ahead and ate it, although it was close to not being able to eat it. I had no other meat to cook. so I told myself it was just the salt I added.. and of course, being corned beef, not BEEF, made a difference. I drank my liter of water, and was still thirsty, so I filled a 16 oz. glass with ice cubes, and used tap water.. I probably drank 4-5 cups.. I brushed my teeth, but could still taste salt, and my mouth felt dry hours after I ate. I tried to limit the water, but simply could not.

So I have gained 2.6 lbs. I was probably up 5-6 lbs. at some point, but my Lasix worked, and I peed about 10 times between midnight and 6 a.m. Not a lot of sleep. I'm back over 250, to 251.4, but that should be temporary.

Today, I had eggs and bacon.. almost skipped the bacon, but I don't believe in " undoing " a mistake. So I just ate the bacon and eggs. With 2 lbs. of pork steak for dinner, I still only get to 1,766 mg Na, which is fine. I got thick cut bacon, to mix in with my 4 sausage links.. 3 slices. 270 mg Na each. The pork steak is actually pretty low Na.

So next time I do a brisket, I will use my butcher.. now I know that I want BEEF brisket, not corned beef brisket, and I don't want flat cut, which is a leaner cut, and since it comes in paper, it won't be soaked in a salt solution, or come with a spice packet. I certainly won't salt it, but I thought it was BEEF. Corned beef is too salty for me, and I probably added 1500 mg. Even if I washed off most of the salt solution.. I probably shouldn't have eaten it.

It WAS delicious other than being too salty, and was perfectly cooked. I will limit water to 2 liters today, and hopefully by Tuesday, I am back below 250.

Today, it is currently 34 degrees outside, with a high of 52 expected. I will go to the gym, BUT no walk today. I have the Lions game at 1 p.m., and was planning to walk around 9-11 this morning. I may go do a few laps around the block later, just to get used to the 20 degree drop, but I usually walk in the afternoon, when it is still in the 50's. I will get used to the cold, just not this morning, and football beats out a walk.. and a workout is indoors, after 4 p.m., once we have lost another game. I'll get back to walking tomorrow afternoon.
  • coryhart4389
    coryhart4389 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    This is an interesting read...imo, recommended for only a very, very few!
  • russellholtslander1
    Options
    Red.. the package was a solution.. and not just salt. I have issues when I eat food soaked in solutions like this.. less problems with salt. My concern was things like MSG.. when I have eaten chicken in solutions like this, I have had issues with my heart.. palpitations etc.

SO I washed the meat to avoid consuming that, and theoretically, a lot of the salt was removed, along with whatever else they threw in.. PLUS, a lot of sodium was probably in the spice packet. That I simply threw away. So if it was beef, it would still have some salt, but I DO consume a bit more Na on this WOE.. closer to 2500 mg a day.

So I added a bit of salt to both sides, and cooked it. If it had been beef, not corned beef, which is cured in brine, it would probably have been OK.

However, there is a difference between salt solutions, and actual salt.. which is why I washed it off, and a lot of the salt on the OUTSIDE as well, which is what I replaced, but with JUST salt, nothing else. Of course, with corned beef, the actual meat.. INSIDE.. is very salty already.

I thought most of the salt was in the spice packet to be honest, and since I had to wash the stuff it was soaked in off.. at that point I thought it would be 1.6 lbs. of beef, without much Na on it. I could sprinkle salt on afterwards, but it tastes better when it cooks into the meat.

Yes, now it seems obvious.. the soaking would have probably left enough Na anyways, but adding salt to my red meat is kind of a habit.. I used to have a more elaborate method of food prep.. with a bunch of spices, among other things, and I no longer have that.. now I just have adding salt. If I don't do that, I'm simply cooking the meat, and it doesn't feel like cooking to me. It's one thing I miss about eating a normal diet.. the food prep. I loved cutting vegetables, coming up with spice combos, and creating a dish. Now, it's just meat. I know it's weird, but I miss cooking " dishes ", and being creative.. adding salt to my meat is a poor substitute, but it makes me feel like I am doing something, even if it's not very much salt.

I think it is why I am looking for new meats to cook. At least then, I am not simply cooking meat the same way, over, and over.. I had never cooked a brisket before, and had to put some thought into it. I should have put more thought into what food I actually had.

When I am cooking the same meals over and over again, without any spices.. baking chicken, or frying GB.. it kind of feels like when I operated a press years ago. The same thing, over and over. So boring I quit, and to be honest, boredom might be the reason I stop eating this way. Otherwise, it works better than any other plan I have been on, and I stick to it. I'm just not sure I can continue eating food, which takes about as much imagination to cook, as microwaving a pot pie. I don't miss carbs, or veggies.. I miss the food prep, and process of cooking, which I love, and all I have left is salting meat. It's funny what bothers you, and how you try to deal with it.
  • russellholtslander1
    Options
    I lost the water weight.. down to 248.0, a new low.

Yesterday, I was supposed to eat two 1 lb. pork steaks ( bone included ). I track each as 8/10ths of a lb. Not terribly accurate, but it's close hopefully. So even with some butter, I only had 1804 calories, and only 143 grams of protein.

The only difference today, is I had 4 sausage links, instead of 3 strips of thick cut bacon. That moves my calories up to 1811, and my protein drops to 140 grams, if I just eat the pork steak. I have some tuna and mayo, if I need it, something I can make in 3 mins., but not really feeling like eating much. I never feel hungry, but usually, when I start eating, my appetite perks up. I cooked the first steak, and ate it, and would normally have cooked the second and ate that, but just wasn't feeling it.

I ate my breakfast.. 4 Jumbo eggs, and 4 sausage links in 2 Tbsp. butter, and I feel pretty full right now.. a little more than normal. Yesterday was cold, and today will be rainy and cool, so no walk either day, just a 30 minute workout. Tomorrow, no workout, but I'll be able to take my 3.6 mile walk.

I feel as if I did something wrong, by not eating 2-3 lbs. of meat. When I put the food in a tracker which tracks a bunch of nutrients though, I a still low on a few, but on the main ones, I still am over 100% of the RDA, of all the B vitamins, Vit. D, Vit E., all my amino aids, Iron, Phosphorus, Selenium and Zinc.. some of the nutrients I am low on daily, are taken care of with beef liver once a week. I have been taking Magnesium, since I take Potassium prescribed by my doctor.. both are electrolytes, and if I excrete Potassium, why not Magnesium, and I don't eat enough seafood to make up for it. That leaves manganese and copper.. which I am low on, whether I eat 1 lb. of meat, or 3.. larger quantities of meat, just put me at 400% of many nutrients, not 180% of the RDA. Beef liver gets me 3836% of Vitamin A, and 5759% of copper, which is why I only eat it every 1-2 weeks.

Meat is VERY nutritious, but not in every nutrient.. Eggland's best eggs, help remove some nutrient deficiencies I might have, but from a scientific POV.. I could eat a lot less meat, and add oysters, sardines, fish, etc.. particular forms of seafood, and cover everything but Vit. C, and oysters would help in that regard, and eating no plants, means I don't need as much Vit C, which is needed more to absorb non-heme Iron ( from plants ). Calcium is a problem, if I don't have cheese..??

Of course, all this will be tested at my next doctor visit, and I can take Vitamin C & Calcium pills, if needed.

I'm beginning to believe that with more seafood, and a bit more planning, I can cover all my nutrients, except Vitamin C, and maybe Calcium. I can eat less protein, and hit my nutrition.. with oysters, mussels, and beef liver once a week. Of course, if I want a 2 lb. roast, I can eat that as well, but starting to wonder if a lb. of beef, pork or chicken is plenty, if I also have a serving of oysters, mussels, beef liver, or a can of sardines, as a snack, in place of lunch.

Not sure if that would still be Carnivore, but it might take care of my nutrition, with 2100 calories, instead of 2800, and then, if I did eat big steak, it would just be extra. I don't seem to be able to eat too much, but don't like feeling I did something wrong, if I eat 1900 calories either. Either way, getting as much nutrition as possible from my diet seems better. If nothing else, I can add these snacks to what I am doing.. just have to look and see if they are available, the way I want them. My doctors will love it, if I eat more seafood too.
  • coryhart4389
    coryhart4389 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Check your uric acid on your next blood test. Generally it is something you must ask to get tested.
  • russellholtslander1
    Options
    I will get it tested, although I haven't had any flare-ups in a decade, or even the beginnings of one for a couple years.

I actually had gout issues back at th end of 2010, start of 2011, which is when I first did low carb. I read Atkins, and he stated LC helped get rid of gout in many people.. at that point, I was unable to walk, so I said, why not?

They put me on Allopurinol.. and even though the flare-ups stopped about 10 days after starting LC, after 3-4 months of them while ON Allopurinol.. and nothing since, except for a little ache in my big toe, when I had venison, or mushroom demi-glaze on my London Broil... I still take the pill daily.

I would hope that testing allowed me to stop the Allopurinol.. I'm not worried about elevated uric acid levels.
  • russellholtslander1
    Options
    So I lost another 1.2 lbs. Down to 246.8 lbs. I knew I was going to lose less in the second month, so I set a goal of 245. I did eat a lot less food the past 2 days, and lost 2 lbs. My weight loss had become very slow.

Today, I had bacon and eggs.. lunch is really just a snack.. trying a can of oysters.. hard to find them in water.. don't like oil. I looked for sardines, but they were ALL in oil, or mustard sauce, so I scratched those.. I have beef liver for tomorrow, but just 3.2 ozs.. and Thursday, I'm having 12 small mussels, supposedly 3 ozs. of meat once they are boiled, and chucked of their shells.. these increase my manganese, copper and zinc above the RDA. We shall see if I like the taste of the mussels and oysters. I'm having an 8 oz. can, and they are smoked, so I'll try some out of the can, and if I don't like those, I'll heat others, and see if that is the issue. Usually, I like most food.

Taking a walk later. No gym today, but had an early meeting, and have some data work to do until the afternoon. By then, it should be almost 50 degrees, so I'll walk out to the lake and back ( 3.6 miles ). When i get back, I will bake a lb. of chicken thighs, and eat dinner.

That's only 1810 calories, so maybe I will lose weight eating 1000 less calories a day? 31/2/67 macro ratio.. 8 total carbs. I even got 1 gram of fiber!
  • russellholtslander1
    Options
    I have been sick for 3 days.. started Tuesday night.. runny nose & itchy eyes, the I go cold, and started to ache. I didn't eat on Wed. or Thurs., but started having to run for the bathroom last night. This morning I woke up feeling better.. just clearing out my sinuses, so I ate 6 eggs for breakfast, and am planning to go for a walk around the block.. stay close to home.

I was a little stunned that while eating 0 calories for 60 hours, I never had a low blood sugar. I never checked it, but I didn't get any blurry vision or headaches. It was 68 mg/dL this morning. I took my pills, but skipped my basal Insulin. Still think I should have had a low blood sugar. Probably good I didn't but it's weird. Normally, if I go without eating for 14-16 hours, I get a low blood sugar.

My bathroom visits started again, now that I have eaten. Not as bad though.. I don't have to run. Otherwise I feel great, just gurgling, and having to go #2 multiple times in past 90 minutes. So I'm waiting to empty out before I take the walk, then I plan to eat lunch, and read until I fall asleep. I made some diced chicken, and mayo, split it into 2 smaller meals, and hoping I can eat it, without having bathroom issues.

I did lose 3.4 lbs., but expect to gain some back, if I can eat, and not end up in the bathroom. I have had to drink more water the past few days, so I don't think I'm dehydrated, but my body is a mess right now, even if overall I feel better. I am down to 243.4, but I just want to get back to normal. I haven't been sick in 19 months. At least this time, I didn't end up in the hospital.

I tried a few new foods this week, at the start of the week.. I had bacon a couple times, but I don't really like it. I'm gonna try some ham possibly, but I think sausage most days is what I like with my eggs. The other thing was oysters. I had one for lunch on Tuesday.. tasted horrible, and I threw the rest away. Now I know.

That, and a conversation with a fellow Carnivore, got me to thinking about what we think we SHOULD be eating. I tried bacon, because everyone talks about it as this delicious food. It's not horrible, but I don't get why so may people talk about it as being so wonderful. I don't think I will ever try bacon again. So I'm thinking that I'm not too picky. I eat almost anything available on Carnivore. I don't eat a lot of fish, but that due to it being so LOW in calories.. I'd have to eat 2 lbs. at a meal, but was there any meat that I just don't like? The answer is yes... I don't eat turkey.. not for 20 years, and then, only at Thanksgiving, chopped up, and mixed into my mashed potatoes & gravy. I eat ham or a roast for most holidays now. No turkey. Everyone eats turkey. I just don't have any desire to eat it.

I think a lot of people eat what others think is something they should eat. People who eat a regular diet, are always doing this.. " healthy " cereal, instead of Cocoa Krispies, salads, oatmeal, yogurt, fruit, and vegetables that they don't really like. At some level, food IS fuel, and we eat to get nutrition as well as energy, but I believe every meal should at the very least be delicious.. and you should sprinkle in some meals which make you excited to eat.

I love chicken thighs. I sometimes eat them so often, that I find myself getting bored with them, but I always love the flavor of chicken.. and pork steaks, and GB if I shred a few ounces of sharp cheddar into it. Nice cheap meals that I think are delicious, but affordable. Sometimes though I want a meal which excites me.. filet mignon, a good steak.. ribeye, T-bone.. or lamb chops. Something I buy, and I can't wait to eat. I look forward to it. It tastes AMAZING.

I already cut out foods I did like.. macaroni & cheese is an example.. it makes me feel like horrible, and gain weight, but I can eat any form of the food.. cheap box, or made with multiple cheese at a nice restaurant. No more. I don't regret eliminating it, but since I am restricting myself.. why on Earth would I eat a single meal that wasn't delicious, or even better? Just because someone else like bacon, or most people eat turkey, doesn't meal I have to.

Basically, I have the foods I CAN have, ranked, and I eat as much of the top ones as I can afford, and work my way down. If I don't think they are delicious, why would I eat them? I think it is why so many people fail on diets. They think that certain foods must be eaten, and most people don't actually like those foods. They find them to be edible, but not delicious, and certainly not amazing.. salad is a great example. I tried to add salad when I was doing LC, and found that without a whole bottle of dressing I didn't really like it.. so I told my doctor.. I love dressing, and hate salad, and drinking dressing would just be weird, so I quit both.

It isn't any different with Carnivore.. How MUCH meat to eat? Which foods to eat? How many meals? We listen to what others eat, and think.. I should be eating that, or why am I not eating that much?

We end up on a diet, which is restrictive.. ALL " diets ", if you are eating that way to be healthier, or lose weight.. not diet as in the food you eat. You may cut fat, or carbs, or sweets, but generally something must be cut, or reduced severely. Then we are told THESE foods are what we should eat, and then we talk to others ON our diet, and I think we copy each other.

Seldom do we look at EVERY option available. I doubt most Carnivores eat duck, or most vegans eat kiwi, or eggplant regularly.. most eat more popular foods that other Carnivores or vegans eat all the time. Steak, bacon, bananas, potatoes, onions etc. We don't explore whatever diet we are on, figure out what WE like that is OK to eat, and get rid of foods we do not like. Sometimes we cover up the flavor, with something we like.. sauces/gravies, but we end up eating foods we don't really like.

I have to admit that I have no willpower. I find low carb to eliminate my cravings, so it helps me control my appetite. Otherwise I would overeat. I ALSO have to love the meals I eat, or I don't stick to them for long. I don't think people will eat salad for long, unless they use a lot of dressing or better tasting toppings, which probably eliminates the health benefits.. but the greens/tomato/onion/cucumber salad with some light dressing ( 2 Tbsp. ).. I don't see a lot of people dreaming of that for lunch, and if they force themselves to eat healthy, but not tasty.. they will quit soon. I find it amazing how long some people do these diets this way, for so long. Doctors get mad, but it's human nature.. they should be applauded for sticking to it for so long, not castigated for not wanting to eat food which doesn't taste good.

So if you plan to start any diet, do some research, and ask if the food is something you could see yourself eating for at least a few years.. if not, don't start the diet.. other diets work too. Once you think I might like this diet, ask which foods you would be excited to consume, and see if that is enough to keep you from getting bored with the narrow selection. If not.. find another diet.

There is a diet out there, which is just real food, that you can enjoy every meal on, and become healthier on. Don't pay attention to what other diets people like, or if on a plan, what foods other people on that plan like. Make sure every meal will be something you love, or look forward to eating.. otherwise it will become a chore, something you hate doing in a few months, and you will quit.

I think that is why so many people fail, and was kind of surprised to be acting this way myself a little, because it feels like we tossed out ALL the rules.. we don't eat vegetables! Yet, we still limit our options, and make it less enjoyable, because of what is popular.. even people who gave up entire food groups, still are following social norms, and making it harder on themselves. This is normal, and hard to stop doing, but people should stop, and think more about the food they are consuming.. buying, cooking, and eating food is easy.. the mental part, which determines what, how much, and when one does these, is equally important, but often ignored.
  • sarah7591
    sarah7591 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I'm glad this working for you! You sound great. Just curious how your cholesterol is through all of this?
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Well, it wouldn’t be my choice, but if it’s working for you, I’m happy for you. Good to hear you are feeling fit for more exercise too!
  • russellholtslander1
    Options
    I haven't been on this WOE long enough to have a lipds test run while on it, but to be honest, before this, I was following very low carb keto, about 80% of the time.. or in other words.. on the plan ALL the time, but cheating 20% of the time. It kept me treading water, as far as weight is concerned.. 260-300 range. My doctor cancelled on my 3 month visit, due to scheduling issues, and I have to call back soon, and get an appointment, but I keep putting it off. This is my PCP. My cardiologist is next scheduled for December.. he is just waiting for me to get below a certain weight, and decide if heart valve surgery is necessary at that point, or I can wait, and lose more. So those visits are quick.. 5 mins. and new scripts, and c-ya!. My PCP visits are longer.. 60-90 minutes, and we go over everything, and usually there are changes, and tests to be run. They handle everything but my surgeries, and major decisions on heart pills.. they do all the maintenance.

They'll run a lipid panel, and an A1C, plus draw 5-6 vials for other testing.

My cholesterol has improved over the years, the lower carb I have eaten. I have been eating 4-6 eggs a day for over a decade, and my TChol which was 195, is now 100-125.. my LDL went from 140 to 70, and last time was lower than my HDL which was 43. My HDL took more years to start going up.. it was 24, and only in the past 5 years or so, have I been exercising more, and it has one up.. their biggest concern was that my triglycerides were almost 400, and now are 50-80. They have some ratio which they tell me is much better. Still have me on a statin to help.. every heart patient is put on one. I had about 5 years, where they took me off my statin, along with my diabetes meds, and they reduced my BP meds.. dropped from 29 to 15 pills a day. I take 16 now with the statin, some to counteract others. I take my BG 3x a day.. always 65-100, and my BP every morning, and it's usually 85-95/50-65. They want it low. My ICD keeps my HR at 75, unless I am moving around a bunch.

Anyways.. I am not cheating, which is new, but most days these past few years, I have eaten 10-15 grams of carbs a day.. some eggs, maybe some onion, tomato, or mushroom with my meat in stir-fries, or maybe 1 salad a week, with 4 Tbsp. dressing. The change wasn't drastic is what I am saying. My BP is the same, my BG got better due to not cheating for 52 days, but most of my cheats were off-plan foods, like macaroni.. not fast food, and pop. Even my cheats were better, if not low carb.

So i don't expect much change. I still eat a lot of eggs. and get over 1000 mg of cholesterol in my diet every day, but that has been true for a decade.. even on days I cheated at dinner.

We shall see if this affects my cholesterol, and makes anything worse, but even when I was eating mostly fast food, my cholesterol was never over 200.. my family all has normal cholesterol.. just heart issues.. ;)

I lost 2/10ths of a lb. in the past 2 days, ate 2400 calories yesterday, have 4250 planned for today.. different meat.. my 73/27 GB is high calorie..so my lunch is 1750 cals, versus 500 yesterday. I vary a lot in how many calories I eat in a day.. I'll eat lunch soon, and tonight is only a lb. of pork steak, and a little butter. Another 1400 calories. That is using MFP numbers for the pork steak. Breakfast was 1116 calories.. bacon and eggs, cooked in butter, with cheese on top. I probably average 2600 a day though, which seems to work. MFP suggest 1640, but only counts my walks as burning calories, so on walking days, I burn an extra 454 calories.. so 2094 calories allowed. Not that it changes what I eat, other than I eat until I am full. That tends to be determine more by volume, not calories. My lunch today is 20 ozs. of GB, but if I eat 80/20 GB, is only 1400 calories, but I still eat 20 ozs. of it. Maybe if I ate 90% lean, it would save me a few hundred more calories.

That's about it, until I see my doctors, just keep doin day after day.. boring is good, when you are a heart patient. :D It DOES, feel good to be consistent, and not be thinking of food not on my plan.. I did that on Keto, but Carnivore is easier to do for me.

Thanks for the replies.. I feel the same about everyone else.. the goal is to be a healthy weight, without being unhealthy nutritionally.. so if you find something that works.. even if it isn't LC, I am happy for you.. most diets actually work for some people, and if it does, that is all that matters. The main problem is we have so many people on plans, which is not working for them.

• russellholtslander1
    Options
    Sick again the past 2 days.. nothing major, just a sore throat.. but I am wondering if it's the same as last week, just never went away. I feel so much better that maybe I am not noticing being mildly sick, unless my eyes water, or I get a sore throat.

The sore throat is most gone, but it messed up my diet some. Last night I had just a bunch of broth, my brother is having chicken for a few meals now, but this morning I had sausage an eggs with no problem, and eating 20 ozs. of haddock cooked in a 1/2 stick of butter, maybe some cheese added on top, although I was going to use that for the GB.

Exercise was off too.. planned to walk Wednesday, but did it around the block, instead of out to the lake.. and instead of the gym, did the same today. Probably the same tomorrow, then the longer walk Saturday, if I feel 100%, back to the gym Sunday/Monday.

Other than the throat, I felt OK, other than being a bit tired. That may just be boredom at being home for 2 straight days.. I don't want to get anyone else sick, with whatever this is, so wearing a mask when my brother is home, and not going anywhere except to walk. Sleeping just to pass the time, and tiring myself out by sleeping too much.

Before Covid, I would have worked right through this. Now I have a bunch of masks, and not even my doctor will see me if I have ANY symptoms.. I called today to schedule... Dec. 9th.. 35 days. That will be 89 days on Carnivore.. I'll push for every test they can run through my insurance.. should be OK to get lipid panel, basic bloodwork, and A1C.. not sure if It has been long enough to test all my vitamins & minerals.

Next I have to schedule my cardiologist, and do an echo, and if I am down to 230, he'll pressure me to see my other cardiologist down in Detroit, and get ready for heart valve surgery. I have to be 210 to get the surgery. I think that is the max, and hoping my health, and the valve function improve enough to delay the surgery, and get down to 160.. or at least less than 210. Surgery is easier the less you weigh. Or at least the recovery is. I had a 5.5 hour hernia surgery, after living with it for 10 years. At 330 lbs., it took me 3 months to recover.

So I am 241.2.. in mid 2012 I was 242.. so it's taken me 9.5 years to lose some NEW weight, and it feels good, but also makes me a bit sad. I could have done this in 2012. I should already be at my goal weight, but I blew 9.5 years, getting up to near 300, then getting stricter, until I hit 260, and felt good enough to cheat again.

The best news is that after 54 days, I can't imagine cheating. Usually, after the first 3 weeks on low carb, I am in prevention mode, already accepting that at week 5-6, I will cheat, and seeing how long I can prevent that from happening.

I think it is because I am always full.. not just without cravings.. but I feel full eating 2,600 calories on average.. I ate 1800 on Keto, and sometimes 1600 on Atkins.. and I was heavier for both of those. The other thing s that by removing expensive fruits, buts and veggies, I can indulge in some more expensive meats, and seafood, and add more variety. It's not the same 2-4 meals week after week.. that may have nothing to do with Carnivore.. I'm just adding more variety, something I should have done years ago. It helps though. I had GB scheduled for tonight, but just switched to haddock. I've added mussels, and clams as snacks, filet mignon, and lamb chops as dinners, and I look forward to meals now.

I think making it to 90 days will be easy. Hopefully, testing will tell me it's OK to stay on this WOE.