Coronavirus prep

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    edited November 2021
    SModa61 wrote: »
    Been MIA for a bit. Juggling lots. Anyhow, DH and I are planning on getting our boosters the week after thanksgiving and we are debating what choice to make. The two of us had Pfiser for our initial two. My husband keeps commenting on "how bad" his reaction was, though I don't think it was worse than a 24 hour flu. The question I am posing is, would you suggest the Pfiser booster or switching to the Moderna? Any insights? @summerskier I think I recall you making a post about a month ago about choosing to get boostered with your opposite vaccine.

Sorry if this is an old topic, but I have not mastered MFP searches. :)

@SModa61 I can't remember much about my reactions to my first two Pfizer shots. I'm sure I documented them here; too bad the search isn't great. My mom had Moderna and had more of a reaction than I did, but she is almost 84 and I am almost 55. (Her reaction is feeling like she is coming down with a cold.)

Had my Pfizer booster last month and the next day my period started two weeks early, and pretty much continued til my actual period was due, when I had another one all over again. All this during closing on our house and moving >.< That and a mildly sore arm and perhaps a tiny bit of fatigue was the extent of my reaction.

My OH had intense fatigue for 8-12 hours with all three Pfizer shots.

I had my second shingles shot last week and had been dreading that, as I may have had a really bad reaction to the first one. (I say "may" because I was also diagnosed with the tick-borne illness Anaplasmosis two weeks after my shingles shot so I had no idea how much, if any, of my symptoms were from the shot and how much from the tick.)

This time after the shingles shot my reaction was just a very sore and sometimes itchy arm for 4 days or so, which was a big relief.

Now I'm ready for my flu shot!

(I spaced them all out because if I had reactions I wanted to know to what.)
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,854 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    SModa61 wrote: »
    Been MIA for a bit. Juggling lots. Anyhow, DH and I are planning on getting our boosters the week after thanksgiving and we are debating what choice to make. The two of us had Pfiser for our initial two. My husband keeps commenting on "how bad" his reaction was, though I don't think it was worse than a 24 hour flu. The question I am posing is, would you suggest the Pfiser booster or switching to the Moderna? Any insights? @summerskier I think I recall you making a post about a month ago about choosing to get boostered with your opposite vaccine.

Sorry if this is an old topic, but I have not mastered MFP searches. :)

@SModa61 I can't remember much about my reactions to my first two Pfizer shots. I'm sure I documented them here; too bad the search isn't great. My mom had Moderna and had more of a reaction than I did, but she is almost 84 and I am almost 55. (Her reaction is feeling like she is coming down with a cold.)

Had my Pfizer booster last month and the next day my period started two weeks early, and pretty much continued til my actual period was due, when I had another one all over again. All this during closing on our house and moving >.< That and a mildly sore arm and perhaps a tiny bit of fatigue was the extent of my reaction.

My OH had intense fatigue for 8-12 hours with all three Pfizer shots.

I had my second shingles shot last week and had been dreading that, as I may have had a really bad reaction to the first one. (I say "may" because I was also diagnosed with the tick-borne illness Anaplasmosis two weeks after my shingles shot so I had no idea how much, if any, of my symptoms were from the shot and how much from the tick.)

This time after the shingles shot my reaction was just a very sore and sometimes itchy arm for 4 days or so, which was a big relief.

Now I'm ready for my flu shot!

(I spaced them all out because if I had reactions I wanted to know to what.)

@kshama2001 I know I made comments here as well regarding what my and my husbands reactions were like. But in my mind, I think I am remembering them more minimally than they were, while my husband wanted to check off "severe reaction" (not) to previous vaccinations. Funny how time messes with the mind.

I just turned 60 and completed menopause 10+ years ago, so I have none of the menstrual symptoms to share. But I will say that even without any vaccine, my menses were life altering that last year. I finally went to the doctor to complain. He asked me to try and hold out for a year or so, and it would resolve itself. I never had another period after that appointment......

Flu shot is done. I think hubby and I are planning on shingles next summer once we get back north again for extended time. Sounds like you and I are sharing similar change of home situations. We signed on a townhouse July 6, before we started prepping to sell our home. Been dealing with both of those ever since and finally our house has new owners as of Nov 4. Meanwhile, we have had significant medical/life drama with my parents (86 and 84), beginning mid-Oct.

Our boosters are scheduled. We went for the Pfizer. :)

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Maybe someone mentioned this already, but I didn't see it here: there is a new variant identified. It seems there are small numbers so far (10 peoplespread between 3 countries and 2 continents), but seems like something worth watching.
    https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/south-africa-detects-new-covid-19-variant-small-numbers-2021-11-25/
  • BurnTheButter
    BurnTheButter Posts: 4 Member
    Good God people just buy what you need! If everyone just buys what they need we will all be ok!
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    I've read low zinc levels can be associated with having covid and particularly loosing ones, taste and smell. I'm sorry the posters above have covid when they have tried to avoid this thing. Possibly if you have a multivitamin and mineral skulking at the back of the cupboard or can have someone pick up some zinc for you it may help. Please look into dose suggestions I've no idea what level is considered safe. If your diet is mixed, meat and veg, rather than veg you are more likely to be ok for zinc where as vegetarian's are more likely to be low in zinc, plants do not tend to have zinc content.

Best wishes hope the worst passes soon for those with it.
  • lokihen
    lokihen Posts: 382 Member
    Here in Italy we are closing the airports to flights from South Africa. The African variant is worrying the experts. It may be able to get around the vaccines. More study is needed.

The omicron variant seems to be all over the news today.