Coronavirus prep

Replies

• SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,852 Member
    @AlexandraFindsHerself1971 I am full on grey at the moment (3+ inches of root are natural, the rest is faked to try and blend but comes across as a grey), but actually like it. IMO it works with my complexion better. As a blond, my skin was always looking too pink. Now I am a mix of salt and pepper and somehow those tones make my skin look tan. So odd.

Adding to the carding discussion, I will offer my daughter's story. She is currently 29, so her story is from about age 27 or 28. She and her husband are within 3 months of each other. They had headed into a Total Wine to buy some wine (I think for baby shower they were hosting), and DD did not bring in her purse since my SIL had his wallet and ID. The store refused the transaction because she was with him and without an ID. They had to come back another day to buy what they needed.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    SModa61 wrote: »
    @AlexandraFindsHerself1971 I am full on grey at the moment (3+ inches of root are natural, the rest is faked to try and blend but comes across as a grey), but actually like it. IMO it works with my complexion better. As a blond, my skin was always looking too pink. Now I am a mix of salt and pepper and somehow those tones make my skin look tan. So odd.

Adding to the carding discussion, I will offer my daughter's story. She is currently 29, so her story is from about age 27 or 28. She and her husband are within 3 months of each other. They had headed into a Total Wine to buy some wine (I think for baby shower they were hosting), and DD did not bring in her purse since my SIL had his wallet and ID. The store refused the transaction because she was with him and without an ID. They had to come back another day to buy what they needed.

I'm starting to get the odd grey hair now. I died my hair most of my life all different colours but I think I'll go with the grey when it fully gets there.

Really the person buying the wine should be the only one checked.. bit odd. I never take my phone or purse anywhere usually if with dh. I don't really need to.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    The last three times i tried to donate blood I was rejected because I was slightly anemic. I gave up. Since then the anemia has gotten worse so I am not even going to try.

Attempting to donate blood is how I learned I was anemic. Over the decades, it has gotten much much worse for me. Here's a thread with some of my and others' tips on getting more iron via diet:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10802837/good-sources-of-iron
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,852 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    The last three times i tried to donate blood I was rejected because I was slightly anemic. I gave up. Since then the anemia has gotten worse so I am not even going to try.

Attempting to donate blood is how I learned I was anemic. Over the decades, it has gotten much much worse for me. Here's a thread with some of my and others' tips on getting more iron via diet:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10802837/good-sources-of-iron

I'm being followed for low iron for the past couple years. Hoping numbers are better in December, finally. Going to check out your link @kshama2001. One of the things I am trying in my diary is daily iron. Hoping to improve through my diet.

• TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    I had an interesting experience today. I was denied the possibility to make a purchase in a shop because I refused to take off my mask.

I entered a shop to join my husband, who was in the process of purchasing a bottle of whisky. We are both 15 years over the legal drinking age. In this country, the use of masks in public spaces is strongly recommended by the government and a shop can refuse entry to you if you do not wear one.

Well, in my case, the assistant rudely demanded that I remove my mask. When I said I would not, and pointed out the existence of a pandemic, she refused to continue the sale. I offered to her my ID, which clearly shows I'm over 30, but she would not even look at it and said I do not want to see your ID, you need to remove your mask. Needless to say, we left without buying anything.

Very good. Your actions matched your words. The assistant was being ridiculous and they lost a sale.

The only thing we get like that here is the banks insisting we remove the mask briefly and look at the security camera at the entrance. But once inside, it must be worn for the whole time.
  • TonyB0588
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    I no longer have to worry about getting carded and seeing my face to verify ID my age. Since COVID, I decided to let my silver/grey come in and now have granny hair. :P

:smile:

Yeah, gotta say I'm not in much danger of being carded, even with a mask on.

I suppose there could be minors out there dying their hair gray in the scopes of scoring some alcohol ...?

I was with my husband a few years ago (no masks) and I was over 40. I mean it's pretty obvious I'm not under age - silver streaks in my hair, wrinkles and all that. I didn't bring my wallet because he was buying. The girl at the register looked like she should have been carded her own self. She wanted to see both of our IDs. She refused to sell to us when I said I didn't have mine. I couldn't believe it. My husband was pissed. The sign said "if you LOOK like you're under 30, you must show ID." I said, "thanks for the compliment, but I dont really look that young." She wasn't having it. That's only happened once tho. Nobody else even asks my age. Some people are just stickers I guess.

Why 30?? Is that your legal age for purchasing alcohol? And how do they police the ages of those who use it after it reaches your house?
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,978 Member
    Really the person buying the wine should be the only one checked.. bit odd. I never take my phone or purse anywhere usually if with dh. I don't really need to.

that is not the case in SA.

Any situation where there is a possibility of an adult buying for a minor, both parties will have ID checked.

and sale to the adult can be refused if the person with them is a minor who could be the real reciprient of the purchase.

so, somebody posted what about if you have a baby or young child you can't leave outside the shop?

Rule wouldnt apply as there is no realistic possibility of the alcohol being purchased for the infant.

(yes I realise this has no relevance to US poster's situation - but just to answer point raised in quoted post.)
  • TonyB0588
    At our grocery they card everyone buying beer and wine, regardless of apparent age. Selling alcohol in the grocery is new to PA so they are extra careful so they don't lose the right. DH is 81 and they still check his ID.

Our liquor is in the grocery stores, and it's just part of the groceries you're checking out. No special ID protocol.
  • TonyB0588
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Had to run to Walgreens this afternoon and pick up something. Four young teens go in right before me, no masks, I took off up a different aisle. I could hear them chuckling then start fake coughing all up one aisle, down the next and out the door. I know kids will be kids but that kind of behavior, disrespect for such a dangerous illness, started somewhere. :(

They shouldn't have been allowed to enter the building. I see people get stopped at shop entrances every time I go out.

It's quite typical to park your car, walk to an entrance, get refused and have to go back to the car for a mask I always keep one in my pocket now.
  • TonyB0588
    mockchoc wrote: »
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    baconslave wrote: »
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    Pfizer just announced that their vaccine is testing at 90% effective. That would be fantastic.

Also, BTW, Pfizer did not partake in Operation Warp Speed because they didn't want to obligate themselves to what taking public funds would mean. They did this pretty much on their own without help. Just in case you hear certain parties/people taking claim that "they alone" solved Coronavirus, that would be 100% false.

In addition they will do the distribution themselves because they have suppliers already lined-up. They know how to do it, and I think that they don't trust the ability of the government to keep the vaccine as such low temperatures as it is needed.

Word of caution: Pfizer just run what is called an interim efficacy analysis. They are still continuing with the study since not all participants have completed the second shot and the f/up vigilance phase. The company still needs to do the interim safety analysis (due toward the end of November), before they can apply for an FDA expedite approval. If everything is good.

We got good news from the company but please people don't count your chickens until all the eggs have hatched. Disappointments are hard to swallow.

Right.
    And it's very important to remember that they are saying they'll have enough vaccine for only 25 million people. The CDC has said that health care workers are first in line. Then the elderly. "Widespread" vaccine availability for everyone won't be until next year. Masking and distancing will remain our reality for the rest of this year and most of next. Even then everyone won't get the vaccine at once, many require 2 doses, and coverage of the populace won't be 100% b/c sadly many won't take any vaccine no matter what.

We should all go forward knowing this will be over, but we still have quite a way to go. That's what is.

Regardless of vaccine status, we are locked into this path right now crafted by consequences we've courted for 8 months. There will be suffering. Even if everyone started following guidelines right this moment, we would still have a rough month and a half ahead. A vaccine isn't a point-n-click solution either. And I hold out zero hopes that we'll get much better mask/distancing compliance at this point.

There is a light!!! But the tunnel is still long. :disappointed:

Sorry to be a downer, but like Mike said, we've had enough disappointment. Let's be real and not hurt ourselves more than the wounds we're already accruing here. I do hope at some point soon the leadership of this country, whomever that ends up being, will have this talk with the American people. IMO, we'd do better to frame this as a "war time" effort.

I think it's such a shame it wasn't framed as a "war on the virus" right from the beginning! Wrap the effort in the flag, appeal to everyone's patriotism. I think it would have been such a different trajectory. I doubt a new point of view in the new year can completely fix how people see the pandemic, but hopefully it will help.

And yeah, we all have to brace ourselves for the next 2 or 3 months :disappointed:

Even if there's not enough vaccine available for everyone, hopefully it will eventually mean there are less people around to catch the virus from.

Hopefully it will not be the good caring careful ones gone though.

Sorry. Didn't mean more people gone, so less to catch it from. I meant with vaccination there'd be more immune people, so a smaller pool of potential carriers to catch it from.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member

that is not the case in SA.

Any situation where there is a possibility of an adult buying for a minor, both parties will have ID checked.

and sale to the adult can be refused if the person with them is a minor who could be the real reciprient of the purchase.

so, somebody posted what about if you have a baby or young child you can't leave outside the shop?

Rule wouldnt apply as there is no realistic possibility of the alcohol being purchased for the infant.

(yes I realise this has no relevance to US poster's situation - but just to answer point raised in quoted post.)

I didn't say anything about going in or buying for a minor. Of course they'd check if that was the case. I am over 50 and so is dh so why you even said this I don't get. I was talking about a couple of ADULTS going in together as the OP did. NO kids involved. Just her and partner! Where are the kids in this?
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    The anemia is probably running related. A lot of runners get low iron. I am definitely a red meat eater but it doesn't seem to help. I have been supplementing my iron and got it up a few points over the past two years, but am still low enough for it to affect my running.

I finally broke it to my husband that we aren't going to MD for Thanksgiving. The family was very understanding, and probably pretty relieved since he is such high risk. DH wanted to go anyway, but I'm not risking it, especially since both Pennsylvania and Maryland are getting daily records right now -- and the holiday hasn't even happened yet.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Had to run to Walgreens this afternoon and pick up something. Four young teens go in right before me, no masks, I took off up a different aisle. I could hear them chuckling then start fake coughing all up one aisle, down the next and out the door. I know kids will be kids but that kind of behavior, disrespect for such a dangerous illness, started somewhere. :(

They shouldn't have been allowed to enter the building. I see people get stopped at shop entrances every time I go out.

It's quite typical to park your car, walk to an entrance, get refused and have to go back to the car for a mask I always keep one in my pocket now.

I keep one in my car, because I go so few places these days that somehow the habit of grabbing a mask as I leave the house has not become engrained (I don't generally put one on to get the mail or take the trash/recycling receptacles to the curb and back), and once I've set the alarm and locked the house and walked down to the car (or even driven away) before I remember, it's a pain in the tuchus to go back for a mask.

I got some cute cloth masks with my college mascot recently, but they seem dreadfully thin, so I tucked my plain functional neutral color "car" mask on underneath it, and the two layers felt very effective.
  • lynn_glenmont
    The anemia is probably running related. A lot of runners get low iron. I am definitely a red meat eater but it doesn't seem to help. I have been supplementing my iron and got it up a few points over the past two years, but am still low enough for it to affect my running.

I finally broke it to my husband that we aren't going to MD for Thanksgiving. The family was very understanding, and probably pretty relieved since he is such high risk. DH wanted to go anyway, but I'm not risking it, especially since both Pennsylvania and Maryland are getting daily records right now -- and the holiday hasn't even happened yet.

Is it the part of Maryland where coleslaw is a mandatory Thanksgiving side dish, and the ham is stuffed with greens?
  • lynn_glenmont
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    I no longer have to worry about getting carded and seeing my face to verify ID my age. Since COVID, I decided to let my silver/grey come in and now have granny hair. :P

:smile:

Yeah, gotta say I'm not in much danger of being carded, even with a mask on.

I suppose there could be minors out there dying their hair gray in the scopes of scoring some alcohol ...?

I was with my husband a few years ago (no masks) and I was over 40. I mean it's pretty obvious I'm not under age - silver streaks in my hair, wrinkles and all that. I didn't bring my wallet because he was buying. The girl at the register looked like she should have been carded her own self. She wanted to see both of our IDs. She refused to sell to us when I said I didn't have mine. I couldn't believe it. My husband was pissed. The sign said "if you LOOK like you're under 30, you must show ID." I said, "thanks for the compliment, but I dont really look that young." She wasn't having it. That's only happened once tho. Nobody else even asks my age. Some people are just stickers I guess.

Why 30?? Is that your legal age for purchasing alcohol? And how do they police the ages of those who use it after it reaches your house?

I think rather than have clerks trying to make the call between someone looking 18 or 17, or 21 or 20 (depending on the legal age for purchase), they set the apparent age for carding a decade higher to make it easier on the clerks and to avoid having people who look a bit old for their age from getting a pass. I still got carded on occasion all through my 30s, but outside of grocery stores, I'm pretty sure it stopped once I hit my 40s.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Here, MN, alcohol is sold only in liquor stores. 3 2 beer, and low alcohol wine cooler type beverages, are sold in grocery stores and gas stations. EVERYONE at the grocery store chain I frequent, has their id’s checked at checkout. I’ve purchased 3 2 beer for making beer cheese soup many times, and even this old grey haired lady, obviously over 21, has her id checked. WI is only 25 miles away from my house. They sell alcohol everywhere. I’ve often wondered if there are problems with underage theft of alcohol in WI, it’s so readily accessible.