Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    Options
    North Dakota's governor announced the state will allow healthcare workers who have tested positive for Covid-19 to continue working in coronavirus units, officials announced this week.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/north-dakota-lets-healthcare-workers-covid-stay-job-record-surge-n1247487

Was very surprised to see this.

It will be interesting to see how the general public in North Dakota responds. Do people become reluctant to go to hospitals for treatment when they should, because they think they'll catch covid there? Do they use this as an example to justify not quarantining themselves when they're covid-positive but asymptomatic?

I'm also wondering if anyone has studied the effects of stress and long hours of physical work on initially asymptomatic cases. Will this put asymptomatic health care workers at greater risk of becoming symptomatic?

If things are so bad in terms of cases outweighing local resources, it seems a little short-sighted for the only government response to be, "let's let covid-positive health care workers continue working." What's next? Let's let folks without medical training start performing surgery?
    According to the article the positive people will only be treating Covid patients, so there shouldn’t be any more risk to general patients - the spaces to access Covid patients have already had Covid patients in them. The main problem seems to be mixing positive and not positive healthcare workers, which could be resolved by putting them in separate hospitals (if anyone had a lick of sense, which it seems they don’t).

Isolating patients by condition in different hospitals isn't really a good option in parts of the country where you're lucky if there's a hospital within 100 miles. You'd have people dying because they couldn't get to a hospital that would take them within the time they needed care.

Sorry if it's bad form to quote my own post, but there was just a story on NBC News apropos of this point about a man who needed emergency surgery for a brain infection who nearly died because he couldn't get into a local hospital because of covid.

https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/video/covid-19-forces-man-to-travel-miles-from-home-for-emergency-surgery-95891013611
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options
    SModa61 wrote: »
    I no longer have to worry about getting carded and seeing my face to verify ID my age. Since COVID, I decided to let my silver/grey come in and now have granny hair. :P

:smile:

Yeah, gotta say I'm not in much danger of being carded, even with a mask on.

I suppose there could be minors out there dying their hair gray in the scopes of scoring some alcohol ...?
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I no longer have to worry about getting carded and seeing my face to verify ID my age. Since COVID, I decided to let my silver/grey come in and now have granny hair. :P

I suppose there could be minors out there dying their hair gray in the scopes of scoring some alcohol ...?

I was with my husband a few years ago (no masks) and I was over 40. I mean it's pretty obvious I'm not under age - silver streaks in my hair, wrinkles and all that. I didn't bring my wallet because he was buying. The girl at the register looked like she should have been carded her own self. She wanted to see both of our IDs. She refused to sell to us when I said I didn't have mine. I couldn't believe it. My husband was pissed. The sign said "if you LOOK like you're under 30, you must show ID." I said, "thanks for the compliment, but I dont really look that young." She wasn't having it. That's only happened once tho. Nobody else even asks my age. Some people are just stickers I guess.
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »

I was with my husband a few years ago (no masks) and I was over 40. I mean it's pretty obvious I'm not under age - silver streaks in my hair, wrinkles and all that. I didn't bring my wallet because he was buying. The girl at the register looked like she should have been carded her own self. She wanted to see both of our IDs. She refused to sell to us when I said I didn't have mine. I couldn't believe it. My husband was pissed. The sign said "if you LOOK like you're under 30, you must show ID." I said, "thanks for the compliment, but I dont really look that young." She wasn't having it. That's only happened once tho. Nobody else even asks my age. Some people are just stickers I guess.

It's a wackadoodle rule. If somebody were a minor and bent on getting alcohol illegally, they'd learn the first time and just not go in with the adult in the future.

If a parent out running errands with a small child they can't leave home alone stops in to get a bottle of wine or whatever for dinner, do they refuse to sell to them?
  • kushiel1
    kushiel1 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I think it's a rule you have to have a valid ID to purchase alcohol here at least. Last year my husband went in with me to buy something in the liquor store and they asked him for ID...and all he had was an expired DL. So they asked him to leave. I really doubt that the employees love carding people but I also know from taking a class to get a liquor license it's really easy to lose it and it's not a risk that the owners are willing to take.
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options
    kushiel1 wrote: »
    I think it's a rule you have to have a valid ID to purchase alcohol here at least. Last year my husband went in with me to buy something in the liquor store and they asked him for ID...and all he had was an expired DL. So they asked him to leave. I really doubt that the employees love carding people but I also know from taking a class to get a liquor license it's really easy to lose it and it's not a risk that the owners are willing to take.

Yes, of course, but the poster who was carded wasn't the person buying the alcohol. If I'm in the process of buying something in a liquor store, and a friend who hasn't seen me for a while sees me through the big glass front window most of our local liquor stores have, and comes inside to say hi, does this mean I can't complete my transaction if my friend happens not to have their ID with them? It's just bizarre.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

Yes, of course, but the poster who was carded wasn't the person buying the alcohol. If I'm in the process of buying something in a liquor store, and a friend who hasn't seen me for a while sees me through the big glass front window most of our local liquor stores have, and comes inside to say hi, does this mean I can't complete my transaction if my friend happens not to have their ID with them? It's just bizarre.

I found this information on the California Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control website.
    https://www.abc.ca.gov/education/licensee-education/checking-identification/

"Good I.D. Policies

The following are some good I.D. policies:

Ask for I.D. from anyone who looks under 30 years old. If someone asks you, “Why are you checking my I.D.?” say, “Our policy is to card people who look under 30.”
    Managers will support employees’ decisions to refuse service
    If you must sell pitcher beer, ask for an I.D. from each person who receives a glass
    Check I.D. as if you were cashing a $250 check because that is how much a mistake could cost you!
    Door personnel and servers will both check I.D.’s
    Post signs
    Call the police for help if needed
    If in doubt about an I.D., don’t accept it."

As the sign in the store stated, if you look under 30, you get carded. I'm literally an old bag. It's obvious to everyone and God that I'm not under 21. I wasn't buying, only standing next to the guy who was. She said she had to check me to make sure I wasn't a minor (LOL) after she saw me "touch the cart." (The bottle of wine was in the cart.) It was kind of embarrassing actually. It was busy and we'd waited in a long line of impatient shoppers. People were turning their heads in other lanes. We didn't pitch a fit or scream for the manager. We just shrugged and said "OK" and left the cart and everything behind. We shop elsewhere now. It's funny to me now, but it was ridiculous and annoying at the time...the person behind us in line about had a fit over it. She was outraged FOR us. I could hear her going off at the cashier as we walked away. I'm thinking, this isn't even your fight. LOL!
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    I had an interesting experience today. I was denied the possibility to make a purchase in a shop because I refused to take off my mask.

I entered a shop to join my husband, who was in the process of purchasing a bottle of whisky. We are both 15 years over the legal drinking age. In this country, the use of masks in public spaces is strongly recommended by the government and a shop can refuse entry to you if you do not wear one.

Well, in my case, the assistant rudely demanded that I remove my mask. When I said I would not, and pointed out the existence of a pandemic, she refused to continue the sale. I offered to her my ID, which clearly shows I'm over 30, but she would not even look at it and said I do not want to see your ID, you need to remove your mask. Needless to say, we left without buying anything.

It's really hard to tell your age with a mask on and I don't blame the clerk for wanting to see your face. If they don't card/at least visually see that you are of age they can lose their liquor license and I think it's pretty terrible of you to refuse to pull down your mask for 1 second so they can follow the law /shrug. If they refused to allow you to wear the mask at all maybe you'd have a good argument or right to be upset but it's pretty selfish of you to refuse to allow them to verify your age (plus even if you gave the the ID to her...with a mask on how exactly would the clerk verify it was you if they can't see your face?).

If you go to the airport TSA makes you lower your mask so they can verify your face/ID match....completely reasonable and acceptable.

Ok, less judgement please. No need jump to call me selfish and pretty terrible.

Perhaps you missed the part where I said she wouldn't even look at my ID. Had she said she wanted to see my face in order to check the ID was mine and asked me to pull down my mask for a moment it might have been a different conversation, I can understand a polite request to march the ID against the face of the person presenting it. However, she was extremely rude and insisted she would not look at my ID card at all and I had to fully take the mask off. I don't see that as her just "following the law".

So she was insisting you remove your mask and then get within arm's length of her to hand her the ID? I would have had to leave to be sure I wouldn't give into the temptation to comply with the mask-removal request and then cough as hard as I could when I handed her the ID.

Do they always card who you're with, even if you're not the one making the purchase?? I honestly didn't know that. I could've sworn I've bought beer before(ok, a long time before granted) when one of my dds was with me and they needed by ID only. Hmmm The smart ones purchasing for underage usually go in alone. :smiley:

I'm not sure what I would've done in this situation. It would've been very different if dh had gone in alone to purchase the liquor. Personally, I think the clerk was having an off day, maybe they'd encountered way too many unruly unfriendly customers, had family members who are sick; you never know why someone is acting the way they are. Whiskey's not worth the stress. Now if I was trying to buy vodka, it'd be different. :)

Oh the memories of being an age to be carded. Haven't been asked for about 15 years. The wrinkles gave it away by then.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    At our grocery they card everyone buying beer and wine, regardless of apparent age. Selling alcohol in the grocery is new to PA so they are extra careful so they don't lose the right. DH is 81 and they still check his ID.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    Options
    Well NYC is on the verge of going all remote for school. Sad times for my kids.

I'm sorry. :disappointed:
    Our county schools have been like that for 2 weeks and will be until after Thanksgiving probably.
    Less than half in the community follow the guidelines. Masks were only "suggested" for the county schools anyway. Too little testing and too little compliance has made community spread blow up, and they can no longer effectively contact trace, not that they did a great job of that to begin with.

We homeschool, but they had youth group and co-op classes and soccer. They've had nothing since March. Well, to be fair, the co-op insisted in holding one class, and the church is starting youth group back during the highest point of community spread here so far. So we aren't doing it.
    I hope it isn't for too long for your kiddos.

• ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    At our grocery they card everyone buying beer and wine, regardless of apparent age. Selling alcohol in the grocery is new to PA so they are extra careful so they don't lose the right. DH is 81 and they still check his ID.

It's much the same here. If you're buying beer or wine you have to go to a designated checkout with a cashier who is Smart Serve certified, because that's a requirement to sell alcohol in this province. The store where I shop most often requires the cashier to enter numbers from your DL (probably the last 6 as those are DOB) in order to complete the transaction so everyone has to produce ID.